2020: One Day At A Time, We Will Achieve!!

Replies

• Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,830 Member
    How sad for that single parent. I can’t imagine how she finds the strength to keep going.
  • PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,935 Member
    That article was interesting. The author was writing about her experience living in Barcelona, but it could just as easily have been a single parent here in the US. I can’t even imagine how hard it is for her and other single parents.
  • mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 Posts: 6,646 Member
    The latest J D Robb book came out Tuesday. One small detail in those books - which take place in 2060 roughly - is that the country has paid professional parent status. A parent can apply to the government to have that job with their own children. It's not a big deal in the books but that article made me think of that. If we care about the future, we need to care about more than just rich folks' kids, and we need to apply some sort of American ingenuity to deal with this just not throw the schools/teachers/kids/parents to the wolves.

• mdubbs1
    I tried to have Optavia hot blueberry cereal for breakfast this morning. Sounded great. I ate one bite and threw it out. Methinks much of my medifast/optavia is going to end up in the trash. There have been a few items that aren't bad but much of it is awful.

• Helene610
    That’s awful that you had to toss that cereal. It’s a wonder anyone uses their plan if much of the food is inedible.
  • mdubbs1
    Helene610 wrote: »
    That’s awful that you had to toss that cereal. It’s a wonder anyone uses their plan if much of the food is inedible.

For lunch I had the beef vegetable soup. It wasn't that bad but sort of a strange texture. For dinner I had the tomato penne which isn't bad at all. I've had it before.
  • Helene610
    Are you buying off the website or EBay? Picking and choosing only the foods you like would work.
  • mdubbs1
    Are you buying off the website or EBay? Picking and choosing only the foods you like would work.

What I did was buy a couple "samplers" from ebay. What I don't like or just end up with too many of I throw into a tote for a friend to try.

Ended the day yesterday with the brownie. That wasn't bad at all!

• Helene610
    Sounds like you had a good day. The most ambitious thing I did was to get a haircut. My steps are way down since the Fitbit stopped syncing with my IPad. Nothing I’ve tried has worked. I’m debating if I should replace it. I need it for the motivation
  • mdubbs1
    After months of inactivity I've got a ton of vet and doctor appointments this month.

My CT scan results came back. For the umpteenth year in a row, my lung nodules are unchanged. Now the million dollar question is - do I keep the appointment with the "new" (both to me and relatively new to the specialty) oncologist? If it was my long term oncologist I definitely would. I worked too hard to get him to give him up. But this new person doesn't even have lung cancer listed on her specialties list.

I've got a prescription to pick up this week so I'll probably get a flu shot at the same time. Go over at 4 am or something. You'd think I'd use the fact that this store is open 24 hours more often. But of course I hate getting up in the middle of the night so there's that.

• mdubbs1
    Sounds like you had a good day. The most ambitious thing I did was to get a haircut. My steps are way down since the Fitbit stopped syncing with my IPad. Nothing I’ve tried has worked. I’m debating if I should replace it. I need it for the motivation

Then sounds like maybe replacement is warranted?

Dr. Fauci's estimate on when life might return interestingly sort of lines up with my gut feel - late 2021.

I'm wondering just how long my hair will be by then......
  • KonaKat
    KonaKat Posts: 3,411 Member
    What have I done lately? I've been having a little urge to get out of the house and do something different. As a result, yesterday the car and I decided to explore territory I haven't been in for around 30 years. We headed for the mountains .on a circular round trip drive, with me just stopping 3 times for the bathroom at rest stops. Each stop was about 15 minutes.

I put 293 miles on the car and was back home before 5pm. I had forgotten how steep some of the grades are on the mountain roads. I slept very well last night. Today, I got my pneumonia shot and will not need another. I hope I sleep well tonight. My niece and I head for Pigeon Forge on the 24th and I am driving, so the little expedition was also a test of how well I could handle driving for long periods after the rotator cuff surgery.

The free COVID-19 testing here is on Monday. It is part of the Gov's efforts to test as many people as possible.
  • mdubbs1
    Jean - sounds like fun!

My NS order wanted to visit you. It left Chambersburg PA (slightly northwest of Gettysburg) and went to West Virginia!! WHY?

Package tracking has shown a LOT of weird stuff lately. I had a package go from New Jersey to Maryland to New York. Where next in its travels? Who knows?
  • KonaKat
    Maryanne--FedEx knew I wanted your goodies. It never fails to amaze me how packages travel. The gadget misread the zip code? It was on the truck but transferred to another truck and they got the wrong truck? Who knows?
  • mdubbs1
    I think there are three things going on at the same time:

More people are ordering more stuff.

The post office is a total mess (absolutely deliberate and part of the voter suppression efforts) so as a result anything mailed (which includes their joint venture with Fed ex) is screwed up.

Because of #2 more vendors are using UPS, Fed Ex and others instead of the post office.

• mdubbs1
    On the plus side, chewy.com has gotten its act together again pretty well as has diet direct.

I've hopefully got something coming from Vermont Country Store -we'll see how they are doing.

Amazon is great maybe 85% of the time but when they go off the rails they REALLY go off the rails. I've learned that with Amazon "late" means "never" and "eligible for a refund" means don't bother because you'll never see it (even though you sat online with them for what seemed like forever and they SAID they processed the refund; been through that dance with no refund way too many times to think it's accidental - does Jeff Bezos really need a few more of my dollars???).
  • mdubbs1
    zwnsqj9yy3p0.png
  • PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,935 Member
    I suppose delivery experiences must vary a lot, depending upon where you live. We have numerous amazon fulfillment centers in our area, so my amazon orders typically arrive within 1-2 days, exactly as promised. FedEx is also very good. Lately USPS has been slower but still gets to us.

We are in Port Aransas, TX for a few days of beach time. We just came in from spending a couple of hours on the beach. So far I’m seeing pluses and minuses to this little cation. We usually go to the beautiful beaches in Alabama or Florida, but wanted to stay closer to home this year. The drive was much shorter, but the jury is still out on whether we like this beach area. The town seems pretty busy but the beach didn’t have a lot of people on it. It was too windy for our umbrellas, so we weren’t able to stay as long as we would have if we’d had some shade. We are hoping the wind dies down some later in the week.
  • KonaKat
    Helene--My FitBit said I got in 76 active minutes today. Mine is a little over a year old now, and just had a firmware update a couple of weeks ago. Did you try uninstalling the app and reinstalling it?

Pam--A few days away is good but sorry that the beach is a disappointment so far. .Hopefully, the winds will die down and give you more beach time

Maryanne--Having done postal inspections as a part-time job after retiring, there are super efficient Post Offices, and then there are those that aren't. The hubs through which the mail goes and is sorted before going to its zip code can often be the source of the problem. Blur one digit of a zip code and there is a problem with the scanning.
  • mdubbs1
    lqixwqzjpifk.png