2020: One Day At A Time, We Will Achieve!!

Replies

• mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 Posts: 6,646 Member
    I spent the weekend working as usual. I have to keep reminding myself how lucky I am that we're busy. But is there no such thing as somewhere in between laid off and swamped?????

Today I see the cardiologist. Haven't gotten any screwy instructions. We'll see how it goes.

Tomorrow I hopefully get my temporary crown replaced with the permanent. I've got the dentist's office's procedures pretty well down pat at this point.

I did have an oncologist appointment Thursday. I kept debating and debating about keeping it. Finally it hit me. I could just postpone for now. How's that for dilly dallying? So far I've just been trading calls about rescheduling but I'm considering them on notice that I won't be there.

Tuffy's at the vet for shots and dental. Because of all my doctor appointments I took him early. I miss that boy something awful. He's my couch buddy and my bed buddy!

• Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,830 Member
    I can understand the doctors waiting. COVID compromises the lungs so they were probably afraid of making him worse. But having to wait is the worst. It gives you too much time to imagine all kinds of bad outcomes. In the long run, the Covid might be a blessing if the mass is unrelated but was found early enough for treatment to work. He probably wouldn’t have gone to a doctor if not for Covid and the breathing problems.
  • PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,935 Member
    Maryanne, you’re right about the anxiety of waiting to find out what is going on in his lungs. We are hoping he recovers quickly now that he’s on antibiotics and knows what he’s dealing with. In his favor are that he’s young, fit, healthy (except for the virus), and never smoked. He has a very supportive family, so I think he will get through this ok and deal with whatever it is.

We learned yesterday afternoon that DH has been exposed to someone who tested positive for the virus. A friend from church was tested last Monday in order to obtain a negative test report prior to flying to Aruba for a family vacation. Instead, he got a positive reading. In the week between getting tested and getting his results, he went out to breakfast on Friday with a group of men from the church which included my DH. Then on Sunday, DH said he and this individual had a conversation at church where he kept getting closer than 6 feet, despite DH trying to maintain that distance. Both were wearing masks on Sunday, but of course they were not while eating on Friday. So I’m sleeping in one of our guest rooms for awhile and trying to stay 6 feet apart.

DH got a grand jury summons last week and is supposed to appear in about 2 weeks. I told him getting COVID is a pretty extreme way of getting out of jury duty!
  • mdubbs1
    Oh, Pam, when it rains it pours! Adding your DH to my "sending out good thoughts" vibes!!
  • mdubbs1
    The cardiologist is muy happy with me! Says I don't need to come back for a year!

Their precautions overall were pretty good (if annoyingly time consuming for no good reason) but I had the distinct urge to offer to re-design their waiting room for them. After I checked in the only place to sit would have been right next to 3 other people. I don't know if two of them had sat down in marked off chairs or something but in any case I just hung in the back until a space opened up..

• Helene610
    I’m sure a lot of transmission is from asymptotic people such as your husband’s friend. Is your husband going to get a test or just wait it out. Early on, coverage suggested family should use a separate bathroom from infected or exposed people. Just to be extra safe. I hope he doesn’t end up being infected.
  • PamS53
    My husband called our doctor’s office to see if they recommended that he get tested. They advised that he self-quarantine for 2 weeks and only come in for testing if symptoms develop. We are sleeping in different rooms but I’m still using our master bathroom. There are separate vanities and I make sure to thoroughly wash my hands after using the toilet, so I think that will be ok. Also, I’ve recently seen that the so-called experts now are downplaying the risks of transmission by touching the same surfaces. They seem to think now that aerosolized droplets are the primary means of transmission. So far he’s feeling well and so am I.
  • mdubbs1
    Pam - we have gotten SO many deliveries since March that I can't help thinking that if transmission by touching packages was easy we'd have gotten something by now. Who knows though. You're right to be cautious but I'll keep hoping for the best for you guys!

On a lighter note, DH has announced that I can quit searching for and buying lysol type spray and disinfecting cloths as "we have plenty". Never thought I'd hear him say that.
  • mdubbs1
  • KonaKat
    KonaKat Posts: 3,411 Member
    Pam--I am so sorry about the COVID-19 issues in your family. One never knows when it will hit close.

I have subbed two days this week. I was very impressed with how things were handled. Each student has a laptop on which the State has loaded the essential power points for the class to which the teacher will elaborate and add information. The students and staff are all temperature checked upon entering the main door. The students are also very good at keeping the masks on except when they eat or drink. They are permitted water bottles but not many use them except at beginning of class or at end.

I am leaving for the Gatlinburg, TN area tomorrow (Thursday) and will return Sunday night. I have an ortho appointment in the city on Monday, so I likely will stay overnight there as it will save me 120 extra miles round trip. I am booked to sub two days next week.c

It has been 8 days since I had the free COVID-19 screening the State is doing periodically in all the counties. Perhaps I will get the report next week.
  • Helene610
    I saw that report too. I can believe that he would do anything to stay in office. He and his team must have doubts about him winning the election or he wouldn’t be in such a rush to replace RBG. And if he can’t win fairly, he’ll try to steal the election. What won’t he stoop to.
  • mdubbs1
    The cheeto is determined to be a dictator. That's becoming more and more obvious. As they just said on Rachel Maddow, this is the first time we've had a president announce he won't accept the results of the election no matter what.
  • PamS53
    mdubbs1 wrote: »
    The cheeto is determined to be a dictator. That's becoming more and more obvious. As they just said on Rachel Maddow, this is the first time we've had a president announce he won't accept the results of the election no matter what.

If any of his supporters had any ability to think rationally, you’d think that statement alone would be enough to change their minds and votes. Sadly, they all seem oblivious to the dangers and are okay with him refusing to abide by the results of the election.
  • mdubbs1
    Let's say they push through a vote on RBG's replacement before the election. Why would that "energize their base"? If it's a done deal, why does anyone need to rush to the polls to vote for him?
  • mdubbs1
    ppu5klmcedj9.png
  • PamS53
    mdubbs1 wrote: »
    Let's say they push through a vote on RBG's replacement before the election. Why would that "energize their base"? If it's a done deal, why does anyone need to rush to the polls to vote for him?

Reminds me of the old saying about the difference between Republican and democratic voters. Republicans go by their local polling place every Tuesday, just in case they can vote on something, while democratic voters have to be dragged to the polls to get them there.

Good news about our COVID exposure. DH’s friend got back his latest test results and they were negative, so apparently it was a false positive on the earlier test. I believe the latest test result was an antibody test, which is more definitive. Sleeping alone upstairs has been nice for the last 3 nights, but I guess it’s time to come back downstairs, lol!
  • mdubbs1
    PamS53 wrote: »
    Good news about our COVID exposure. DH’s friend got back his latest test results and they were negative, so apparently it was a false positive on the earlier test. I believe the latest test result was an antibody test, which is more definitive. Sleeping alone upstairs has been nice for the last 3 nights, but I guess it’s time to come back downstairs, lol!

YEAH!!!
  • mdubbs1
    The world is going to ________

The police force in Austin, Texas made excellent use of its enormous budget when it mobilized a helicopter, SWAT team, two military-grade armored vehicles, a drone, and no fewer than 80 cops to pull over a woman driving in her car with her chihuahua.

https://jezebel.com/how-many-cops-armored-cars-military-vehicles-and-dron-1845159885

I've got to stop eating lunch and reading the news.......
  • Helene610
    Pam, that’s great news about DH’s friend. I can’t imagine the anxiety a false positive test would give someone. Especially thinking others may have been affected.