2020: One Day At A Time, We Will Achieve!!

Replies

• Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,829 Member
    Jean, was the pain related to your surgery or was it something else? I hope it was a one time thing. Maryanne, did you read that your governor wrote in Ronald Reagan for president? At least it’s one less vote for Trump since he didn’t want to vote for Biden. That works for me. I went online to track my ballot and the ballots I dropped off yesterday were marked accepted. So we’re all set.
  • mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 Posts: 6,646 Member
    Helene610 wrote: »
    Jean, was the pain related to your surgery or was it something else? I hope it was a one time thing. Maryanne, did you read that your governor wrote in Ronald Reagan for president? At least it’s one less vote for Trump since he didn’t want to vote for Biden. That works for me. I went online to track my ballot and the ballots I dropped off yesterday were marked accepted. So we’re all set.

I didn't read that. Our governor has his eyes on the presidency so I guess there's no way he'd vote for Biden.

We mailed our ballots last Saturday. Hopefully that will give them enough time!
  • mdubbs1
    There aren't a whole lot of words on the 365 day calendar that I've never heard of but today?

"banausic" means related to or concerned with earning a living; also utilitarian or practical
  • PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,935 Member
    Maryanne, I think you found my diagnosis. I googled it and it sounds exactly like what I’m experiencing. I was pain free most of the afternoon, but it has come back now. I will try to do the exercises I was given and use heat on it to see if it improves, as recommended. Depending on how it goes over the weekend, I may go back Monday to see the chiropractor again. I took a painkiller I had left over from a prior injury and that it giving me some relief right now, but I don’t like to take those very often.
  • mdubbs1
    PamS53 wrote: »
    Maryanne, I think you found my diagnosis. I googled it and it sounds exactly like what I’m experiencing. I was pain free most of the afternoon, but it has come back now. I will try to do the exercises I was given and use heat on it to see if it improves, as recommended. Depending on how it goes over the weekend, I may go back Monday to see the chiropractor again. I took a painkiller I had left over from a prior injury and that it giving me some relief right now, but I don’t like to take those very often.

Just call me Dr. Dubbs!

(aside: my best friend had an uncle who was a lawyer who insisted on being called "Dr. ________ (after all our degree is juris doctor)"

One thing I really hate about what I have to do to keep my blood pressure/heart in line is not take painkillers. I MISS THEM!!!! Not only do I have arthritis but every broken bone I've ever had has left pain behind and my sinuses give me pain. But staying alive means giving up the painkillers so I have. (Yeah, yeah, I can take Tylenol, big deal).

• mdubbs1
    Lin Manuel Miranda has gotten very involved in fund raising for Biden. This evening he hosted a town hall fund raiser with some of the cast. He came on last. Amazing how his personality just eclipses everyone who came before. He quoted one of Eliza's final lines "And when my time is up, have I done enough?" Encouraged everyone to vote in mass, in history making numbers. And then they finished off by singing "The Room Where it Happens".
  • mdubbs1
    I miss the big things - like seeing my family and friends and getting out and doing fund raisers for my non profit and getting my hair done (and doing my own grocery shopping).

But I also miss the little things. I love Egg McMuffins (a little heavy on calories for a lunch but I adjust the rest of the day) and was thrilled when they started selling them 24/7. Yesterday I drove by a McDonald's yesterday on my way back from the vet and was sad to just sort of nod at it in passing.
  • mdubbs1
    Why won’t Trump supporters admit they’ve been conned?

Op ed piece:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/10/16/why-wont-trump-supporters-admit-theyve-been-conned/
  • mdubbs1
    At nearly 100 years old, Lord Baltimore hotel finds new life as city’s free coronavirus quarantine center

Around this time of year, the Lord Baltimore Hotel would usually be filled with guests: convention visitors, football fans and even ghost hunters seeking to commune with the spirits that they say haunt its corridors.

Today, the hotel’s ballroom has been converted into a COVID-19 command center. Beneath three grand chandeliers, city employees and workers from the University of Maryland Medical System take calls from coronavirus-positive residents who need a place to quarantine or health care facilities with patients, some of them homeless, who need a place to stay.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/coronavirus/bs-md-lord-baltimore-quarantine-20201016-uzuarkxcpfcwrlgv2hc4qnvtmi-story.html
  • PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,935 Member
    Maryanne, do you not feel safe getting food at a drive thru? I haven’t done it yet, but that seems relatively low risk to me, if you are wearing a mask.

I’m still having pain in my head, but I think a little less than yesterday. It will be interesting to see how this goes. I’m hoping it eventually settles down and lessens significantly from what I’m currently experiencing. My brain feels a bit foggy today, which may be hangover from the painkiller I took yesterday. One of several reasons I use them very sparingly.
  • mdubbs1
    In my mind some things are just unnecessary regardless of risk. I don't even assess the risk on those (and the experts keep changing their minds anyway). The drive through is one of those. Also on that list are touching cash and using ATMs. Because we have a house full of cats that I care dearly for I am probably much more risk averse than some people. If we both were in the hospital or died, I don't even want to think about what would happen to the cats (although I've made extensive arrangements for them, who knows what would actually happen.)
  • mdubbs1
    Pam - if the pain doesn't go away, you probably do want to see an expert. But hopefully it disappears!!!!
  • Helene610
    I’ve used drive through with no problems. Many of them put your order in a tray like container and stretch that out to you. So there’s no physical contact with them. You place your order at the speaker and then drive to the window. As far as money, I’d make sure I had singles or five dollar bills. If I was concerned about getting change, I’d have them round up to the nearest dollar and have them keep the change. If they don’t take tips, they can drop it into the Ronald McDonald House bin.

Have you ever used Biofreeze for arthritis pain. My chiropractor would rub it on my neck, back and knees. It works very well. I used to buy it from him as it wasn’t available retail. Last year, I saw CVS now sells it. It comes in a lotion, spray or roll on like an antiperspirant application. I use it at home on my back and neck. Since you apply it externally, it shouldn’t have an affect on blood pressure.
  • Helene610
    What a fascinating story. Baltimore is doing things right.
  • Helene610
    Maryanne, you can check if your ballot has been received by going to track my ballot.com. You fill out your information, click search and if they got it, you’ll see accepted. If not, it will say pending. I saw a story about a man in N.C. who’s ballot was rejected because he didn’t have his signature witnessed. Other people have had ballots rejected because they didn’t seal the inner envelope. Not all states require a witness. Through the news network, he found out he could go to the polls and vote in person if his ballot was rejected. The important thing is to check that the ballot has been accepted.
  • mdubbs1
    We're checking the Maryland web site for our ballots. I sure hope they arrive!
  • mdubbs1
    There's a punchline to this story that will break your heart:

One last vote: In Michigan, a terminally ill man’s mission to cast a ballot

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/one-last-vote/2020/10/16/785419e4-0fd4-11eb-b1e8-16b59b92b36d_story.html

• KonaKat
    KonaKat Posts: 3,411 Member
    Our state's positivity rate is 2.8% as of yesterday. The national rate is 6.65% and Maryland is 7.54% according to the state posted info today. It is starting to increase here and it is reflected on the map of colors that indicates severity and status of instruction for the coming week.
  • Helene610
    MA has gone up a bit too. Towards the end of the week, it was 2.2. I haven’t seen any updates to that. The governor is taking steps to contain any hot spots. Salem gets lots of tourists during October. They’ve canceled all events and asked people not to come this year. Some are coming anyway even though the attractions they’d go to are closed. It’s probably Covid fatigue that someone would go anyway. Go figure.
  • Helene610
    mdubbs1 wrote: »
    There's a punchline to this story that will break your heart:

One last vote: In Michigan, a terminally ill man’s mission to cast a ballot

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/one-last-vote/2020/10/16/785419e4-0fd4-11eb-b1e8-16b59b92b36d_story.html

What a sad ending. I think it should count.