2020: One Day At A Time, We Will Achieve!!

Replies

• KonaKat
    KonaKat Posts: 3,411 Member
    Maryanne--Our state posts figures everyday, including comparisons to surrounding states. This graph shows percentage of people being tested. The U.S. average is 34.79%, West Virginia is 36.22% and Maryland is 28.64%.

50dsex1lm1te.png
  • mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 Posts: 6,646 Member
    Helene610 wrote: »
    I appreciate being able to share political views with all of you. I don’t tend to discuss politics with friends because I don’t wanted to lose friendships over something I can’t change. I once read that you can try to convince one third of a group. The pro group and con group are usually firmly set in their beliefs. Those middle undecided voters are the only ones who will tip the scales. Let’s hope they are leaning in Biden’s direction.

Helene - I'm glad to have somewhere to let my hair down (so to speak). Even though for the most part I've quit pulling my punches with friends I still have to be careful at work and around quite a few CROM volunteers.
  • Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,830 Member
    I have a few good friends who are staunch Trump fans. Hard for me to believe that they don’t see what I see. So I don’t discuss politics with them.
  • PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,935 Member
    Same here. Most of my close friends hold similar views to my own, but there are a few who are republicans. I have to be careful which text threads I post on, lol!
  • mdubbs1
    I'm lucky that I have no friends who even voted for Trump the first time.

Bad news on Dancing with the Stars. Jesse Metcalfe voted off! Boo!!!

• PamS53
    I like Jesse Metcalfe as an actor, but I could tell he wasn’t going to last long. He just didn’t seem to be getting better from week to week compared to the others.
  • Helene610
    As much as I like Jesse as an actor, he was definitely the weakest dancer last night. He didn’t seem like he was able to relax and get into the dance. Most of the remaining dancers seem pretty evenly matched. The season should be interesting.
  • PamS53
    edited October 2020
    I’m having a hard time picking a favorite this season. So far, I love the Disney star, as well as Justina Machado, and Jeanie Mai. Some of the others have been showing a lot of improvement as well. Most of the men aren’t impressing me yet, although Johnny Weir is doing well.

However, I really dislike Tyra Banks as the host. So far, I think she should fire her stylist. Each outfit seems to be worse than the one before and not at all flattering to her. She definitely lacks the charm, wit, and smooth delivery that Tom Bergeron had.

I also think they are doing a terrible job with the camera angles and lighting this season. Half of the time the lighting is so bad I can’t really see what the dancers are doing. They are trying so hard to be artistic that you can’t actually watch the dance sometimes.

I’m sorry to be so critical, but I think the changes they made this year have ruined one of my favorite shows. I try to just watch the dances, but it’s hard to ignore all the other stuff.

I do love Derek Hough as a judge though. I think he is much more positive than Len but still gives good feedback. Len is definitely a grumpy old man most of the time. I get enough of that from DH; don’t need to watch it on TV, lol!
  • mdubbs1
    edited October 2020
    I'm having a really hard time watching DWTS this season. Hate Tyra. Miss a lot of the pro dancers who've come and gone (Max, Tony, Mark, Derek). Have NO idea who most of these "celebrities" are and for some reason they aren't "grabbing" me. I'd be okay if Len came back and Bruno was gone.

Pam - you have a good point about the lighting.

I do want to make sure I watch what Johnny Weir did this week.

BTW who cares about how Jesse dances? Eye candy ladies!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • mdubbs1
    Well, I'm back on track with food. After 9 months of pining for my favorites I let myself eat a few and went off the rails. I've read articles about how this isn't an addition, but if this isn't how an addict feels, I'd be surprised. But this weekend I buckled down and got back to basics - i.e. my spreadsheets.

I just did a bariatricpal.com order and ordered a few HMR meals directly from the HMR website. They look/sound a lot like some JC meals but they have other flavors. We'll see. Not much variety outside of dinners so I only ordered dinners.

On the positive front, my food order delivery today is showing NOTHING out of stock. Woohoo! Now we just have to hope it all gets delivered, unlike last week when someone obviously got one of my bags.

Took Sammy to the vet yesterday for his dental tomorrow. DH is pining. Sammy's his boy!

I made an appointment for Jack with internal medicine here. All the experienced vets at my vet hospital (other than the owner who doesn't come in that often) either retired or were ordered home by their doctor or are out sick. (I know no details on the latter two, and it's none of my business). With Jack getting older and starting to show kidney issues I need help here and the odds I'm going to be driving to the internist I love in Fairfax frequently are poor. I sent an email to the internist in Fairfax explaining the situation and that it's no reflection on her. Because I know she'll get a request for records. I am in contact with the vet who retired but other than moral support, I can't rely on her.
  • mdubbs1
    Great line:

Many voters are still supporting Trump because they’re living in a hermetically sealed disinformation bubble that is impermeable to reality.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/10/13/how-can-42-percent-americans-still-support-worst-president-our-history/
  • Helene610
    I thought the lighting complaints were just mine. When they dance too close to the steps, the lights blank them out for a few seconds. It’s annoying for sure. I like the same people Maryanne mentioned. I think Nev is surprisingly good as well. I read that Lindsay and Whitney passed on competing because they’re pregnant and had Covid concerns. Maybe that’s why some other pros aren’t dancing this season. I agree that Tyra’s gowns are ugly and unflattering. And changing to another ugly look mid-show is dumb. Amazing Race starts tonight. Any idea when Survivor comes back? Since Survivor is set on an island away from regular people, they can probably film safely if cast and crew are quarantined on the island after negative tests.
  • mdubbs1
    Helene610 wrote: »
    I thought the lighting complaints were just mine. When they dance too close to the steps, the lights blank them out for a few seconds. It’s annoying for sure. I like the same people Maryanne mentioned. I think Nev is surprisingly good as well. I read that Lindsay and Whitney passed on competing because they’re pregnant and had Covid concerns. Maybe that’s why some other pros aren’t dancing this season. I agree that Tyra’s gowns are ugly and unflattering. And changing to another ugly look mid-show is dumb. Amazing Race starts tonight. Any idea when Survivor comes back? Since Survivor is set on an island away from regular people, they can probably film safely if cast and crew are quarantined on the island after negative tests.

As a Survivor fanatic, I am very sad to report that the answer is "no time soon".

Normally they would have filmed two seasons in late spring/early summer. One would have aired this fall; the other starting in the winter. They didn't film either because of travel restrictions to and from Fiji. I've read they are hoping now to film in the spring of 2021 but who knows?

I also read they played with the idea of doing both seasons here in the US to get around travel restrictions but apparently they've got such a huge permanent (or semi-permanent) infrastructure built up now in Fiji (Jeff even owns a house there) that that was impractical. That would have been interesting. Put them out in the mountains in Montana or something.

And apparently they aren't nearly as isolated as you might think. They rely heavily on local Fiji workers.

I am currently re-watching season 1. I've never watched season 2 but thought I'd go back and re-watch season 1 first. Why? Who the heck knows how my mind works?
  • mdubbs1
    Tom Bergeron reading "why he was really fired" in the grocery store:

7gijm5q7xrea.png
  • mdubbs1
  • mdubbs1
    Country music's doing some uplifting stuff.

Strange duo - Jennifer Nettles (Sugarland) and Jon Bon Jovi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBLAamIlxy8

John Rich (Big & Rich)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvMQ_xStg9M
  • Helene610
    Music has always had the power to comfort and heal the soul. We need songs like these right now. The visuals in the videos really bring home that kindness still exists in humanity. Thanks for sharing these, Maryanne.

We filled out our ballots yesterday and put them in the Dropbox at town hall. I’m happy to know I was able to vote safely and that my vote will count.
  • PamS53
    I completed my ballot last night and today I plan to drive to the elections office to turn it in. It’s inconvenient, but I’m willing to do it to ensure that my ballot gets counted. I had planned to go to an early voting site and surrender my mail in ballot so I could vote in person, but learned yesterday that the process to do that is cumbersome and entails a lengthy wait. Since I don’t want to be there any longer than absolutely necessary, I decided to go ahead and use the absentee ballot.

I also have a doctor’s appointment this afternoon. For about three days now I’ve been having a sharp, stabbing pain in the back of my head. It comes and goes but is quite painful. I hoped it would resolve itself but after 3 days I don’t see any improvement so I will go and get it checked out. I’m seeing the PA because the doctor was booked up. It’s almost like someone has made a voodoo doll with my face and is randomly sticking a pin in the same spot in the back of my head. I can’t think of anyone I’ve annoyed enough to make a voodoo doll of me, but who knows, lol?