2020: One Day At A Time, We Will Achieve!!

Replies

• mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 Posts: 6,646 Member
    Helene610 wrote: »
    Absolutely him. I heard a report where he told us all about how his recovery is going. He never commented on how Melania or any of the other people circle who got infected are doing. Certainly strange behavior for a husband.

You'd think he'd be worried sick about Barron. Except I get the feeling that Barron is one of the children he doesn't care about.
  • mdubbs1
    The New England Journal of Medicine is, as the name suggests, mostly focused on, well, medicine. Which makes what it published this week all the more important and impactful.

In an editorial titled "Dying in a Leadership Vacuum," the editors of the Journal blasted President Donald Trump (although not by name) for his handling of the coronavirus pandemic.

Here's the key bit:
    "Anyone else who recklessly squandered lives and money in this way would be suffering legal consequences. Our leaders have largely claimed immunity for their actions. But this election gives us the power to render judgment. Reasonable people will certainly disagree about the many political positions taken by candidates. But truth is neither liberal nor conservative. When it comes to the response to the largest public health crisis of our time, our current political leaders have demonstrated that they are dangerously incompetent. We should not abet them and enable the deaths of thousands more Americans by allowing them to keep their jobs."

That would be powerful stuff even if the New England Journal of Medicine regularly weighed in on politics. Which it does not. In fact, it rarely published editorials signed as this one was, by all of its editors. As CNN's Jacqueline Howard noted, there have been only four previous editorials signed by all of the editors in the more than 200-year history of the Journal. None of those four previous editorials were about presidential politics -- or politics at all.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/08/politics/new-england-journal-of-medicine-trump-anti-endorsement/index.html
  • Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,830 Member
    I read that article about NE Journal of Medicine. Pretty telling stuff. I also read one on a crazy one hour interview Trump did on Fox Business. He came across as a crazy person. He’s even trying to blame Gold Star families for his infection instead of the Barrett Rose Garden event. Almost two weeks later, nobody at the Gold Star event is sick. It took place a day after the Barrett event. And we know scores of people are sick from that event. He ended up ranting Barr should indict Biden, Obama and Hillary for unspecified crimes and he wants it done before the election. Sounds like a meltdown to me.
  • PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,935 Member
    Sounds like ‘roid rage to me.
  • Helene610
    You could be right. One of the medications is a steroid. It has quite a few side effects and some affect the brain.
  • mdubbs1
    vgfbi8rbjlid.png
  • PamS53
    I had a low-key birthday yesterday. I treated myself to a mani-pedi, then went to a couple of stores to pick up birthday freebies. One of those was a bundtlet from Nothing Bundt Cakes, which I shared with DH since he wasn’t going to be baking me a birthday cake, lol! I figured if I shared it, the calorie hit wouldn’t be too bad.

Today I’m meeting 4 of my friends in the park near my house to chat for awhile. It’s a beautiful day with very nice temperatures, so it should be a nice day for it. I live close enough to walk to the park, though everyone else will be driving. One of them also lives close enough to walk, but she is having a lot of hip pain from old injuries, so she will probably drive.
  • mdubbs1
    Pam -

p1lb8tpi70n0.png
  • mdubbs1
    I'm pretty tough but I gotta admit, this piece about an assistant grocery store manager who suddenly has to play mask cop got to me:

www.cnn.com/2020/10/09/opinions/grocery-manager-anti-maskers-opinion-lake-the-distance/index.html
  • Helene610
    Pam, I didn’t realize our birthdays were so close. Mine was on the fourth. Like you, it was low key. Today was a bone scan and a mammogram. Glad to have those out of the way. They were in the same office at the hospital and I was able to schedule them back to back. Getting into the building was a bit confusing. They’ve closed off the doors to medical office tower and directed everyone to the main hospital entrance. It was far enough away that I moved the car. They had a high tech thermometer in the vestibule. It reminded me of a facial recognition monitor on a five foot pole. We had trouble getting it to read me until I pushed my bangs away from my forehead. Other than get into the building, it was business as usual. I was pleased to see I’m the same height as when I was 25. I have some osteopenia in my left forearm. Hopefully it hasn’t gotten worse in the 2 years since the last scan.

I got a new manicure after my medical appointment. I can’t get a pedicure for awhile because I’m being treated for an infected toe. They don’t look great unpolished but it is what it is.

Watched the debate Wednesday. I thought I was seeing things when I spotted the fly. Couldn’t happen to a nicer (not) guy. His going over his time every question drove me crazy. The moderator was way too polite to him. Kamala did a good job of standing up to him.
  • mdubbs1
    Helene -
    5hab9uspqi81.png

• mdubbs1
    I've figured out dieting. I've got splurging down to a science. I wish I could figure out moderation.
  • mdubbs1
    9gykdoczb885.png
  • mdubbs1
    edited October 2020
    Wash Post:

Trump on drugs:

President Trump on drugs. Wow. I have to admit that I failed to see this one coming. Trump’s political career has been such a wild ride all by itself, it never occurred to me to wonder what would happen if this grandiose narcissist with the bombastic flair were to be filled to the gills with a powerful steroid. Just as I never looked at Usain Bolt, the great Jamaican sprinter, and mused: What would he be like on a rocket sled?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/trump-on-drugs-who-could-have-seen-this-coming/2020/10/09/d7219e90-0a4a-11eb-859b-f9c27abe638d_story.html
  • mdubbs1
    I gotta admit - I had no idea anyone still listened to the radio regularly. When I think of the radio, I think of my grandfather listening to an Orioles game or music blaring in the car.

New York Times:

Talk Radio Is Turning Millions of Americans Into Conservatives

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/09/opinion/talk-radio-conservatives-trumpism.html?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage
  • PamS53
    MaryAnne, my DH is a devoted Rush Limbaugh and Mark Davis listener. I personally can’t stand talk radio of any kind. I suppose that’s why I haven’t ever enjoyed podcasts or audio books. I do enjoy listening to music, but DH doesn’t, so road trips always involve some negotiation, lol! That was an interesting article. I had no idea talk radio had that much influence.
  • mdubbs1
    edited October 2020
    When I went to p/t I listened to audiobooks and when I commuted to work, I listened to audiobooks. I haven't listened to very many lately. I don't drive much these days and on the treadmill I watch something on my Fire tablet.

I admit I have (briefly) wondered about "podcasts" and who has time to just sit around and listen. When I've thought about it I've sort of seen them as a step backwards in time. In this day and age, why wouldn't you do a video? But heh, what do I know. LOL!
  • PamS53
    igaap7qsc2u9.jpeg
  • mdubbs1
    One of DH's former coworkers who still goes to the stores told him the shelves are starting to look bare again.

I've notice a slowing increasing number of "out of stock" items at the stores I shop from.

I guess it's good we haven't touched our stash of food yet. Actually it keeps growing as I throw canned food onto my orders to get to the delivery minimum.

I think I would have made a terrible colonist or early pioneer settling the west. The thought of another year or more of this is disheartening.

For some odd reason, it occurred to me the other day that I don't want someone else picking out my Thanksgiving turkey. The mind does go to strange places sometimes.
  • mdubbs1
    Pam - good one!

I know I've often heard the term "narcissistic personality" but watching him has really drilled home the meaning. I've never known anyone so totally and utterly self-involved.