2020: One Day At A Time, We Will Achieve!!

Replies

• mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 Posts: 6,645 Member
    Love this headline from the Post:

Trump came in promising so much winning. He’s going out with so much whining.
  • mdubbs1
    Also from the Baltimore Sun:

Maryland is ramping up enforcement of coronavirus restrictions ahead of the Thanksgiving holiday as the pandemic surges just as people usually gather with family and socialize in bars, Gov. Larry Hogan announced Monday.

In addition to family gatherings on the holiday itself, the night before Thanksgiving has become one of the biggest bar-hopping nights of the year as people return to their hometowns and catch up with old friends over drinks.

“I cannot emphasize how reckless that behavior would be this year,” the governor said during a news conference in the State House rotunda in Annapolis.

Health officials already have advised people to celebrate Thanksgiving with their immediate households only, and Maryland’s bars and restaurants have a state-mandated 10 p.m. closing time.

Okay, stupid question #89. Why don't we just close the bars that day?
  • PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,935 Member
    In Texas, drivers ed is now either done as on-line instruction followed by a prescribed number of hours of driving with an adult before getting your license, or you can go to a driving school. Due to cost, most parents seem to be selecting the online, DIY approach. Drivers Ed was phased out of the schools a long time ago, due to cost issues (and probably liability issues, as well).

I can parallel park fairly well. It was a handy skill while I was attending grad school as most of the time I had to park on the street in the surrounding residential areas. I still need to do it occasionally when I go to the downtown area of my town, although public parking lots have been added behind Main Street now, which has eased the parking issues somewhat.
  • Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,829 Member
    mdubbs1 wrote: »
    Helene610 wrote: »
    Pam, I can sympathize with you having your DH try to teach you math. My dad tried to teach me to parallel park for my driving test when I was sixteen. His method was to yell right, right, left, left as I attempted parking. I’d end up crying and still couldn’t park the car. A friend of his offered to help. One session with him and I could do it. Since I never park on the street anymore, I’m hopeless at it now. I probably do more of our driving than DH. If I have to park on the street or back down a long driveway, I make him do it for me. We have a circular driveway and most of my parking is in parking lots. The FL driveway is wide enough for me to make a K turn and drive out forward

I've never parallel parked once in my life. Ever.

My dad tried to teach me to drive. Too much yelling; not enough instruction. I ended up waiting until I could take driver's ed.

I wonder if high schools still have driver's ed.
    My high school didn’t have driver’s Ed so it was dad or nothing. Making a k urn and parallel parking were test requirements. Thanks to my dad’s friend, I learned how to park. After 40 years of not needing parallel parking, I’ve lost the skill. You were lucky PA didn’t require it.

• mdubbs1
    PamS53 wrote: »
    In Texas, drivers ed is now either done as on-line instruction followed by a prescribed number of hours of driving with an adult before getting your license, or you can go to a driving school. Due to cost, most parents seem to be selecting the online, DIY approach. Drivers Ed was phased out of the schools a long time ago, due to cost issues (and probably liability issues, as well).

I can just imagine the liability. I remember on my first trip from our little town to the town where the high school was I slid off the road at "Oyler's corner". I was going at a snail's pace so no damage done to land or car but I would not have wanted to be the driver's ed teacher having to sit in the car while we all drove.
  • mdubbs1
    I just got an email that my ballot has been counted.

I want to dig in and design a nationwide election/voting system. I mean it's 2021. Given the computers we have there's no excuse for how our elections are run.

Of course I also want to dig and re-design the systems my vet is using ("system" used very loosely), the systems my cat's internist is using, the system Hopkins is using at its Towson location, and the systems for ordering/delivering groceries at the three stores I'm using.

In case you can't tell, my patience for disorganization is non-existent. But it's so obvious what needs to be done! LOL!
  • Helene610
    Sounds like you have a new hobby. Start with the vet. That sounds the least complicated. Barter better organization for some free vet care. The town I lived in for many years after marrying has on street angle parking in the downtown shopping area. It was easy to use and maximized parking spaces.
  • mdubbs1
    edited November 2020
    The Post: Officials tell public to stay home to stop covid’s spread. But is anyone listening? https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/new-covid-restrictions/2020/11/24/327b2ca2-2b52-11eb-92b7-6ef17b3fe3b4_story.html

I am, I am!!! Of course being an introvert who works at home helps. LOL!

I don't "get" how people don't see that the healthcare system is nearing a breaking point.
  • KonaKat
    KonaKat Posts: 3,411 Member
    I'm just taking it one day at a time. If I need to, I might subscribe to NS again to have a guaranteed supply of food instead of my going to the city for curbside delivery. I haven't parallel parked since my driver' test a thousand years ago.
  • Helene610
    I guess people see what they want to see. Jean, ordering NS while this is going on is smart. You can avoid going out if things get worse than they are now.
  • mdubbs1
    I guess because of where I live parallel parking never even comes up.
  • mdubbs1
    I don't know why this hasn't made bigger headlines. The cheeto wants to withdraw from a treaty that permits us to fly surveillance over Russia and destroy the planes and equipment. That should be treason. Apparently there is some hope that he may not have time to destroy the planes. How much of this kind of thing is he doing as he departs? A scorched earth policy?

https://www.defensenews.com/congress/2020/11/25/trump-left-the-open-skies-treaty-but-dont-write-it-off-yet/
  • KonaKat
    Parallel parking? Most parking spaces in our town are accessed by parallel parking except for a few angled "drive in" spaces by three businesses or in lots.

Our state has appointed a person to coordinate the distribution of the vaccine. The Gov said that he and his wife would be taking both doses of the vaccine.
  • mdubbs1
    Happy Thanksgiving!

p2vnf06wz29w.png
  • KonaKat
    2zmw8n53diew.png
  • PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,935 Member
    Happy Thanksgiving, all! I hope everyone has a wonderful day!
  • Helene610
    Happy Thanksgiving everyone. Our dinner is in the oven and everything looks good. I hope your dinners are going well. I even made DH a gf pumpkin pie. Since I hate to bake, it was a real treat for him.
  • mdubbs1
    We enjoyed our dinner yesterday. Leftovers it is today!

Great day to work - no calls or emails!

Sunday will be 4 weeks since our furnace died and now I have a tooth that hurts if I chew on that side. What the heck will happen next? I probably don't want to know! LOL!

• Helene610
    What are you doing about the furnace? Chew on the other side and use Anbusol until you can get to a enlist.
  • mdubbs1
    Helene -

We have oil filled heaters and DH has identified the circuits that can handle them. So far we haven't even had them all plugged in and the ones that are plugged in aren't on high. I have to live without one of the two microwaves and we have to be careful that nothing flammable comes near the heaters but so far we haven't been freezing.

It's amazingly difficult to chew on the "other" side but I think I'm getting better at it. Yet another occasion when I'm sorry I can only take tylenol. Does you hubby miss painkillers as much as I do?