2020: One Day At A Time, We Will Achieve!!

Replies

• Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,829 Member
    The dog and Bert or Ernie is so cute. I have no idea which one that is. The soup was really easy, if you ever want to try it. I looked up a couple of online recipes and made up my own version with what I had on hand. DH gave it thumbs up.
  • mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 Posts: 6,645 Member
    Well, the testing place was almost empty so that was promising but then they decided my order was expired. They called the doctor who refused to re-issue it because they hadn't seen me in 2020. When earlier this year they gave me a full year's refills on my meds I assumed they were waiving the "we must see you each year" requirement. Guess they got me! I hate internists. If I could ever find a good one I'd switch!
  • mdubbs1
    I'm pretty sure that's Ernie and yes, it's adorable. It makes me sort of sad that I'll probably never have a dog.
  • mdubbs1
    "The White House plans at least 25 indoor holiday parties this month. All will include more than 50 guests, The Washington Post reported, and few attendees will be tested in advance. Invitations make no mention of coronavirus precautions."

DH says let 'em kill each other off but they'll be using up hospital beds.
  • Helene610
    I wonder how many people he’ll infect with his holiday parties. I’m sure some of them will have regrets and realize Covid is no hoax. It’s a high price to pay for going to a party. Our immediate families all stay at home for Thanksgiving in their own pods. I’m glad to know my people believe in science.
  • PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,935 Member
    I’m certainly not planning to attend any holiday gatherings and I’m trying to do all of my shopping on-line. We are debating whether to go to DH’s sister’s place for Christmas. They want us to come, and I really hate the thought of staying home, but our nephew and his wife are continuing to socialize as if there was no threat at all from the virus. Neither of them have gotten sick, nor either of their kids, but I feel that it’s a big risk. I didn’t feel it was as big a risk going to my sister’s home for Thanksgiving because none of the people in her household had been socializing or making unnecessary trips outside their home. I kept my distance from my 18 year old nephew because he was the only one I was concerned about since he’s been away at college. I guess we will wait a couple of weeks to make a decision, since we are semi-quarantining now after our trip last week.

I have an appointment tomorrow with my endocrinology doctor’s PA in preparation for my next Prolia injection. I’m sure I was supposed to have had a bone density test before this appointment, but the radiology practice never contacted me to schedule it as I was told they would. I don’t like doing things that way. I’d much rather be in charge of calling and scheduling my appointment instead of waiting for them to call me.

Helene, when are you planning to go back to Florida? I thought you usually were down there by now.
  • mdubbs1
    The public health messaging from our "leaders" - and they aren't all republicans - has been atrocious.

The public explanations about the science haven't been a lot better.

I read a fascinating article about how testing is only really useful on a massive scale. An individual test is only worth so much. Someone who tests negative can still be transmitting the virus. But on a large scale, the number of infections prevented is almost mind blowing. But we've never gotten organized to do that.

The response of the public has been abysmal in many cases.

Can a new administration turn it around at this point? I guess we'll see.
  • Helene610
    PamS53 wrote: »
    I’m certainly not planning to attend any holiday gatherings and I’m trying to do all of my shopping on-line. We are debating whether to go to DH’s sister’s place for Christmas. They want us to come, and I really hate the thought of staying home, but our nephew and his wife are continuing to socialize as if there was no threat at all from the virus. Neither of them have gotten sick, nor either of their kids, but I feel that it’s a big risk. I didn’t feel it was as big a risk going to my sister’s home for Thanksgiving because none of the people in her household had been socializing or making unnecessary trips outside their home. I kept my distance from my 18 year old nephew because he was the only one I was concerned about since he’s been away at college. I guess we will wait a couple of weeks to make a decision, since we are semi-quarantining now after our trip last week.

I have an appointment tomorrow with my endocrinology doctor’s PA in preparation for my next Prolia injection. I’m sure I was supposed to have had a bone density test before this appointment, but the radiology practice never contacted me to schedule it as I was told they would. I don’t like doing things that way. I’d much rather be in charge of calling and scheduling my appointment instead of waiting for them to call me.

Helene, when are you planning to go back to Florida? I thought you usually were down there by now.
    We normally would have left for FL just before Thanksgiving but didn’t feel safe traveling. Now we’re thinking about leaving for FL by the end of December but it will depend on how things are for traveling then. I hate to think we may not be able to go at all but it’s a possibility. The governor of FL refuses to enact a mask mandate and won’t let mayors enact one either. Businesses can choose to refuse service to those not wearing masks. What a mess.
  • mdubbs1
    I hope everyone gets to wherever they want to be as long as it's safe!

A very good friend told me last evening that all of her neighbors have COVID and one's been hospitalized. They've continued throughout this to get together with other relatives indoor for Bible study. Worthy cause, sad result. She went to the sessions too but so far has nothing obvious. She continues to go to PT because she acknowledges they are really helping her.(she's quite heavy, walks with two canes, and they are trying to get her more mobile). Between the Bible study and the PT there's just no way I can see her in person.

I just keep telling myself "this too shall pass".
  • mdubbs1
    The dentist thinks my gums are infected around one tooth. I have a prescription so I see a late night trip to the Giant in my immediate future. Hopefully I can also get my overdue TDAP shot. That will mean that by year end the only thing I will have failed to do is the bone density and I'm thinking that given everything, I've done pretty well!

• mdubbs1
    edited December 2020
  • mdubbs1
    aaishm9z8bwg.png
  • PamS53
    I saw the PA in my endocrinologist’s office today and got a very good report. When I was first diagnosed with osteoporosis 22 years ago, it was severe with T-scores in the -3 range in both my back and hip. Today my hip score is almost normal and in my lumbar spine, all but 1 of the vertebrae are in the osteopenia range. I will have my next Prolia injection later this month and then go back in 6 months. I will get a bone density before my next appointment.

I was impressed with their COVID precautions. I received an e-mail prior to the appointment advising that I would not be allowed into the office until 5 minutes before my appointment, and that my temperature would be taken upon arrival. I was also told that I couldn’t bring anyone with me unless I needed assistance. When I arrived, I had to ring a doorbell for admittance, and as promised my temperature was taken. All but 4 chairs had been removed from the waiting area, and they were spaced out appropriately. I waited about 2 minutes before being called back for my appointment. When I was checking out, there were signs posted and marked spaces to stand on to remind people to maintain social distancing. I can’t think of anything they could have done better.

After I left their office I made a few stops before going home. I needed buttons to finish a poncho I knitted for my little great niece and I had a package to mail before stopping at Target for some toiletries and groceries. I try to do as many errands as I can when I do go out. I actually was only gone about 2.5 hours, so I felt like I got a lot done in a short time.
  • mdubbs1
    Pam - I'm glad you got a good report!

I've discovered one thing about myself. As an always early person waiting until 5 minutes before an appointment to go in drives me nuts!!!! I mean, what if my watch is different than their clock - or something???? LOL!
  • mdubbs1
    vzhirumnwrxx.png
  • KonaKat
    KonaKat Posts: 3,411 Member
    Not much happening here. I'm just staying put. I'm supposed to work two days next week. I guess the state's color map for education planning that will be posted at 5pm will give a hint as to what will be happening. I know both the infection rate and positivity rate is increasing slightly in my county but the neighboring counties to the west of us are red in both infection and positivity rates.
  • Helene610
    MA has taken a big jump up in the last two months. The rate was a bit over 1% all summer. Now it’s up 5%. Some may be due to more testing but a lot is from is from people being careless and not social distancing and masking.
  • PamS53
    ciyc8t94uxnh.jpeg
  • mdubbs1
    Pam - oh, so true!