2020: One Day At A Time, We Will Achieve!!

Replies

• mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 Posts: 6,645 Member
    It rained hard last night. I'm glad it over and that I don't have to feed this morning in the rain but I don't look forward to all the muddy bowls. I'm such a neatnik. LOL!
  • mdubbs1
    6b2prf1ixkwg.png
  • mdubbs1
    0c6xdqplm1c8.png
  • mdubbs1
    Sometimes I get all engrossed in something for a couple hours and then suddenly come to a screeching halt and everything that's going on comes screeching back into my consciousness. Weirdest feeling(s).
  • mdubbs1
    People Think Jim Jordan’s Weird Tweet About Fauci And Christmas Is A Spoof. It’s Not.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/jim-jordan-holidays-merry-christmas-tweet_n_5fcb3bbac5b619bc4c33341b
  • Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,829 Member
    Yeah, those road signs sum up how we all feel.
  • mdubbs1
    DH wanted a grow light for Christmas. Amazon said it would arrive next Monday. Opened the blinds this morning and saw it sprawled across the front porch (anyone coming up the stairs would have had to step over it). Amazon web site shows it as "left in mail box". Yeah, right!
  • Helene610
    At least he didn’t break it by throwing it at the porch. What is DH planning to grow.
  • mdubbs1
    Helene610 wrote: »
    At least he didn’t break it by throwing it at the porch. What is DH planning to grow.

He has a few flowers that he brings inside over the winter and then in the spring he starts plants for the garden.

I didn't even think about it being broken. I wonder if I should give it to DH to open and check out. Nothing rattles.
  • mdubbs1
    Well, I've got the Christmas decorations up. Maybe I can feel festive now. I actually keep Christmas lights in the living room all year round (on a timer) but now I've pulled out everything and it's looking good.
  • Helene610
    We don’t usually decorate on the Cape because we’re usually leaving for FL or already there by now. We went up into the attic and brought down a couple of wreaths and some decorations. If we’re going to be here all month, we might as well look a little festive. Anything that lifts the spirits is worth doing. I’m planning to make some peppermint bark. I’ve never made it but the recipe looks pretty easy. It’s so expensive to buy it pre-made.
  • Helene610
    For the first time, I just saw a visit Baltimore travel promo. We get promos for visiting Myrtle Beach and parts of FL but this was the first time I’ve seen Baltimore as a vacation destination.
  • PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,935 Member
    I don’t usually put up a tree because we are never home for Christmas. I do put out other decorations around the house and DH always puts out lights and a display in the front yard. It’s looking more and more as if we will be staying home this year, so we may put the tree up. I really don’t enjoy putting up a Christmas tree but DH wants to do it. Of course, that means he will get it out of the closet and haul it downstairs, but the actual decorating will be left mostly to me. There’s no good spot in our house for a tree without moving a lot of furniture around and making awkward furniture groupings, which is another reason I’d rather not bother with it. I much prefer setting up my Dickens Village. That gives me a lot of pleasure. I didn’t do it last year but I may do it tomorrow. It’s a lot of work but very pretty when it’s up. I typically leave it up until the end of January.

DH had a conversation with his sister this morning and told her we were concerned about coming due to her son and his wife and their refusal to curtail their social activities. She understood and even agreed with him, but she doesn’t feel she can persuade them to stop. Unless they quarantine for the 2 weeks before Christmas, I don’t think we are going. I don’t think they will be willing to do that, although they seem to want us to come.

Tomorrow I am going to attempt to make caramels. DH’s family always made them at Christmas and every year talk about making them, but never get around to doing it. Mainly because the traditional way of making them entails standing over a pot of boiling, sugary liquid, stirring for at least half an hour or longer. I’ve found several recipes that claim they can be made easily in the microwave without all of the stirring in about 10 minutes or less, plus additional time for the liquid to cool and solidify. I make divinity in the microwave successfully, so I’ll give this a try too. I ordered precut wax paper wrappers from Amazon and they should arrive tomorrow, so if they turn out I can wrap them and then give most of them away.
  • mdubbs1
    Helene610 wrote: »
    For the first time, I just saw a visit Baltimore travel promo. We get promos for visiting Myrtle Beach and parts of FL but this was the first time I’ve seen Baltimore as a vacation destination.

I sure wouldn't visit Baltimore right now. LOL!

• mdubbs1
    I can still remember the last year we had a tree. One cat drank the water, one cat ate some needles, and another tried to crunch on the lights. Somewhere I have a photo of Schultzey toward the top peeking out. LOL! There is now a TALL cat tree on that spot.

All the candy making sounds like fun. But I've got to get back on the wagon sooner rather than later.
  • mdubbs1
    AstraZeneca’s COVID-19 vaccine, up to 90% effective in late-stage trials, is being manufactured in Baltimore

https://www.baltimoresun.com/coronavirus/bs-hs-astra-zeneca-vaccine-20201123-gofgqt3jsngfhjadn7sognm7ny-story.html
  • Helene610
    Are you planning on getting the Covid vaccine when available? DH and I plan to get it when it’s offered to us. The only vaccine I ever had a reaction to was Shingrex. A friend warned me to expect a sore arm. That’s what happened and I felt fatigued for a day. I was glad I got it, even with the side effects. The same thing may happen with the Covid vaccine but a day or two of feeling lousy beats getting Covid any day. I’m surprised that so many people seem reluctant to get. They may change their minds if conditions worsen without it. Experts say get whichever vaccine is available first to you rather than holding out for a specific version.
  • PamS53
    I will definitely take the vaccine whenever it is available to me. It seems to me that all of the versions have similar efficacy ratings and side effects, so I don’t see any point in holding out for one over another. Like you, the only time I’ve had a negative reaction to a vaccine was my second Shingrex shot. I had flu-like symptoms with fever and chills for about a day. I also remember that my last tetanus shot made my arm incredibly sore and it lasted for 3 weeks, but I didn’t feel bad. The side effects from the COVID vaccines don’t scare me nearly as much as the illness it prevents does.

My caramels are made and cooling in the pan now. Hopefully they will have the right texture when I attempt to cut them up later. They were actually very easy to make in the microwave.
  • KonaKat
    KonaKat Posts: 3,411 Member
    Just another "ground hog day," or same old, same old.

I quit decorating a few years ago. I'm usually too tired from doing other things to put up decorations that have a limited time use. I am so tired right now from doing stuff around the house. It is not energizing like working with people.

I plan to take the vaccine when it becomes available to me. Just remember that you can't have the second one a different one from the first.
  • PamS53
    Caramels turned out perfectly and were really easy! I’m going to make another batch to give away to friends. DH has claimed all of this batch, lol!