MISSION SLIMPOSSIBLES Team Chat - April 2020

Options

Replies

• TeresaW1020
    TeresaW1020 Posts: 3,231 Member
    Options
    @raleighgirl09, girl your attitude is amazing!! I’m so glad that your assessment of losing your job has you feeling grateful and that you will be OK. It still sucks and I am sorry that you now have to figure out what to do next. You will get that weight off this week for sure because you are a girl with a plan and you know how to work the plan! Be VERY kind to yourself! <3

@Cornanda, I love how you have recognized your temptations and have decided to push back at them. My weight is up this week too and that is annoying, but I can either own it and work to get on the other side of the gain or shrug and go eat some more peanut butter. What I am REALLY trying to work on is taking ownership and realizing that everything I eat is my responsibility. I’m going to post the link to that video that I spoke about below in my comments. ;)

@leonadixon, haha, I need a tune-up on my “I don’t give a darn” too! Glad to see that you have a plan in place and I am sure that your maintaining will turn to lose again. Yes, thank God that your work hasn’t been impacted. :)

@vegan4lyfe2012, I think having pictures that show our progress are so important. You will get back to picture A. You just have to want it and work for it. I am in the SAME boat and will write about it in my comments.

@Katmary71, ugghhh I hate bad tech days. I have been trying to figure out why my Fitrockr won’t sync and their tech support hasn’t been able to figure out it either. There is no reason for people to be so grouchy at the grocery store. Hmm, do you think people are buying so much garlic to ward off the evil of Covid or are they just cooking more at home? :D

@bethanie0825, upping your workouts will always make you hold onto water. Glad that you know that and accept it. :)

@gunderw59, @davors19, great weigh-ins!! Keep it up! B)

@gwamajtw91, Wow that is awesome!! YES go YOU!!!! :)B)<3

@its_cleo, it's smart not to push yourself with your jogging, as you well know. ;) How did the trainer session go? Yeah, I’m not a big fan of the Zoom thing either. I’m now doing it twice a week and I’m grateful for the technology to connect with my friends, but I will be glad when we don’t have to.

@trooworld, I hope you are feeling better today? <3

Good morning team! Sorry that I was missing the last couple of days. I have been fighting with myself over my weight gain and trying to figure out how I can get my motivation back to start consistently losing again. Why is OK that I keep gaining!! At the end of last October, I was 203 lbs. and so happy that I was almost at Onderland. And then I just started gaining every month. Sure, there are weeks when I’m down but the trend has been up and it keeps going up. This morning my scale weighed me at 213 lbs. What the heck!!! :s So, I went and re-watched the video that I spoke to @Cornanda about and will post it below. I went and looked at my pictures from when I weighed my heaviest 264 lbs. to my lowest at 203 lbs. This is just unacceptable behavior and it HAS to stop!!! I put so much work into my workouts. My muscles literally hurt somewhere on my body every day because I push myself to be fitter and stronger. But then I end up eating too much and obviously NOT caring. Ugghhhhh!! :angry:

I also feel like a terrible captain for you all. I should be setting an example and being your biggest cheerleader and I have failed, and I am sorry! Oh please don’t come on and tell me that it’s OK. It’s NOT!! I need to do better for myself and for my team. And since actions speak louder than words, I'm just going to go now and pre-track my day and do a workout. Take care of yourselves. <3

I stumbled upon this video of a woman who lost 250 lbs and this video really spoke to me on why weight loss is really in our hands and ours alone. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clTtwdV7MnM
  • trooworld
    trooworld Posts: 5,914 Member
    Options
    @its_cleo Yay for aches and pains improving! How's your achilles?

@Katmary71 Thanks. I don't think I am coming down with something, I think it was my body's way of telling me to slow down a bit. I did rest up, reading on the couch and cooked a healthish dinner and seem to be in better spirits today. :) I hate when FitBit doesn't record my workout! That's good that the elevated problems were down. I'm sorry that the shopping experience was unpleasant. I think people are starting to lose their patience with this quarantine stuff.

@TeresaW1020 I am feeling better today, I think, as my friend told me yesterday, I needed to just take a day to not do anything. So that's what I did. I just laid on the couch and read a book. The blahs are gone! Thanks for sharing that video. It spoke to me, too. I wish I could show it to one of my co-workers who expects the whole office to stop bringing in treats because she and I are trying to lose weight. I just want to tell her that you can't go life expecting the world to bend to you, you have to resist the temptations. This video says that well.

Hello everyone! Well, yesterday was just what I needed to recharge my batteries: I took the day to relax. I got healthy groceries, prepped the protein for cooking and put it in the freezer, and read a book on the couch. And I drank more than my water goal! I also made a really good chicken and potato dish from the Pinch of Yum blog, it was Caprese Chicken with Smashed Potatoes: https://pinchofyum.com/caprese-chicken-with-smashed-potatoes I hope to have an even better day today by adding some exercise to the mix. I've got plenty to choose from thanks to all of your recommendations, plus I have a spin bike I might ride. One of my goals is to not stress eat: my dog is going under anesthesia for an x-ray and to have a procedure done, so I'll be a bit stressed/worried. I'm going to stay out of the nuts though because I've put a sign on them thanking myself for eating healthy! Have a good day everyone!

Calories: over/under: even
    Water: over/under over
    Exercise: ---
    Goals or Improvements for tomorrow: YouTube exercise video, no stress eating, 52 oz of water+.
  • AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,574 Member
    Options
    vika5lctdfzk.jpg

Check-in - Thursday Report
    Good day 🟡 nice variety of exercise, inspired by @KatMary71 and other conversations here; included a Zumba video from Korea TV, but didn't fit martial arts forms in and didn;t quite make my activity goal; today's a new day!
    Thursday Report
    Calories: 🟢 on target; all good, on-plan choices
    Exercise: 🟢 Leslie Sansone walking videos (55 min; YouTube since I do not have a VHS collection :lol: ); gardening (103 min); Korean TV Zumba (10 min)
    Water: 🟢
    Habit Tracking
    - Breathing Exercises (daily 2+ min) 🟢
    - Meditation (daily 2+ min) 🟢
    - M.A. Forms Practice (daily; 1) 🔴
    - Exercise (6 x week/45+ min) 🟢
    - Food weighed/measured/on plan (daily) 🟢
    Goals
    - 10K steps 🟢
    - Bonus workout video 🟢
    - Tiny Habit - Gardening (pull at least one weed!) 🟢
    - Activity Calorie Burn (stretch goal) - 1000+ 🔴 (close! 990!)

Friday Goals
    - 10K steps
    - Bonus workout video (1+) 🟢
    - Tiny Habit - Gardening (pull at least one weed!)
    - Activity Calorie Burn (stretch goal) - 1000+

Goal for week - Move up a Fitness Level in FitRockr (12 > 13)
  • AustinRuadhain
    edited April 2020
    Options
    @TeresaW1020 - What a great video! "You are the person that chooses to eat what you eat." Great bottom line. It puts you in charge!

I am sorry you have had a rough couple of days, and so delighted you checked in.

As a reality check -- you are not a bad Captain. You are, still, our biggest cheerleader, and a fabulous example (you are doing it right now) of getting real and being resilient.

It is so, so easy to get distracted and coast, and then suddenly your weight is back up. At least that is so true for me. Since you only gained 10 pounds since October, I can only think (based on my life experience anyway) that you were paying some attention and doing a bunch of the right things.

I say this because I have gained *cough cough* more than 10 pounds in a month or two and then been surprised.

You hit a great weight, and then the holidays hit, and then COVID-19 and weeks in the house in jammies and sweats. You could still be coasting. Some people are!

But YOU - you weighed in. You stopped and looked at the results and did some analysis -- what you wanted? if not, what actions weren't working? And since you headed off to pretrack your day and do a workout, we know you headed off in the direction you want to go. So yay!
  • AustinRuadhain
    edited April 2020
    Options
    On a related note...

I just hopped on here after getting lit up because after lunch (on plan - yay!), I was looking at a book called Indistractable: How to Control Your Attention and Choose Your Life. While the author is focused on managing your relationship to screens (phone, etc.), so much of what he is saying in the first part of the book applies directly to losing weight, and seems so on track with the video @TeresaW1020 posted.

This may not speak to you, but here it is, just in case.
    From Chapter 5 "Deal with Distraction from Within"
    ... resisting, ruminating, finally giving in to the desire perpetuates the cycle and quite possibly drives many of our unwanted behaviors. ...
    • Without techniques for disarming temptation, mental abstinence can backfire. Resisting an urge can trigger rumination and make the desire grow stronger.
    • We can manage distractions that originate from within by changing how we think about them. We can reimagine the trigger, our task, and our temperament.
    From Chapter 6 "Reimagine the Internal Trigger"
    By reimagining an uncomfortable internal trigger, we can disarm it.
    Step 1: Look for the emotion preceding distraction (for distraction, you might put in "craving" or "temptation")
    Step 2: Write down the internal trigger
    Step 3: Explore the negative sensation with curiosity instead of contempt
    Step 4: Be extra cautious during liminal moments (transitions from one thing to another in your day)

From Chapter 8 "Reimagine Your Temperament"
    The way we perceive our temperament... has a profound impact on how we behave.
    ... individuals who believed they were powerless to fight their cravings were much more likely to drink again. (this might well apply to indulging in tempting food)
    Labeling yourself as having poor self-control actually leads to less self-control.
    Austin's Takeaways from Indistractable so far
    • Resisting temptation is not effective.
    • Resisting temptation can actually make giving in to desire... more gratifying. (Yes, for those of you of the right age, I am thinking of Rocky Horror and "shivering with antici......... pation." Oh my. Yes. I have so played this game with myself without noticing what I was up to.)
    • We can manage temptation by changing how we think about it. Specifically we can reimagine the thing that triggers us, the action that we take, and the story that we tell ourselves about ourself and who we are.
    • To disarm a trigger, look for the emotion preceding it, write down what that trigger is, and explore the negative sensation with curiosity instead of contempt.
    • Self-contempt is not our friend and is not effective place to stand if we want to change our behavior. Yes, we will have that feeling, but maybe just watch it float by -- thank it for sharing and then let it go, like a balloon.
    • Labeling yourself as having poor self-control actually leads to less self-control. So, maybe look at telling yourself a different story about yourself.

cw0xexoc08js.jpg
  • Cornanda
    Cornanda Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    [quote=

I also feel like a terrible captain for you all. I should be setting an example and being your biggest cheerleader and I have failed, and I am sorry! Oh please don’t come on and tell me that it’s OK. It’s NOT!! I need to do better for myself and for my team. And since actions speak louder than words, I'm just going to go now and pre-track my day and do a workout. Take care of yourselves. <3
    [/quote]

Never. Never. Never! are you a terrible captain! You are great at lifting others up. We all struggle. That's why we are here. ((hugs!))

• Cornanda
    Options
    that's for @TeresaW1020. I stink at posting quotes!
  • Cornanda
    Options
    On a related note...

I just hopped on here after getting lit up because after lunch (on plan - yay!), I was looking at a book called Indistractable: How to Control Your Attention and Choose Your Life. While the author is focused on managing your relationship to screens (phone, etc.), so much of what he is saying in the first part of the book applies directly to losing weight, and seems so on track with the video @TeresaW1020 posted.

This may not speak to you, but here it is, just in case.
    From Chapter 5 "Deal with Distraction from Within"
    ... resisting, ruminating, finally giving in to the desire perpetuates the cycle and quite possibly drives many of our unwanted behaviors. ...
    • Without techniques for disarming temptation, mental abstinence can backfire. Resisting an urge can trigger rumination and make the desire grow stronger.
    • We can manage distractions that originate from within by changing how we think about them. We can reimagine the trigger, our task, and our temperament.
    From Chapter 6 "Reimagine the Internal Trigger"
    By reimagining an uncomfortable internal trigger, we can disarm it.
    Step 1: Look for the emotion preceding distraction (for distraction, you might put in "craving" or "temptation")
    Step 2: Write down the internal trigger
    Step 3: Explore the negative sensation with curiosity instead of contempt
    Step 4: Be extra cautious during liminal moments (transitions from one thing to another in your day)

From Chapter 8 "Reimagine Your Temperament"
    The way we perceive our temperament... has a profound impact on how we behave.
    ... individuals who believed they were powerless to fight their cravings were much more likely to drink again. (this might well apply to indulging in tempting food)
    Labeling yourself as having poor self-control actually leads to less self-control.
    Austin's Takeaways from Indistractable so far
    • Resisting temptation is not effective.
    • Resisting temptation can actually make giving in to desire... more gratifying. (Yes, for those of you of the right age, I am thinking of Rocky Horror and "shivering with antici......... pation." Oh my. Yes. I have so played this game with myself without noticing what I was up to.)
    • We can manage temptation by changing how we think about it. Specifically we can reimagine the thing that triggers us, the action that we take, and the story that we tell ourselves about ourself and who we are.
    • To disarm a trigger, look for the emotion preceding it, write down what that trigger is, and explore the negative sensation with curiosity instead of contempt.
    • Self-contempt is not our friend and is not effective place to stand if we want to change our behavior. Yes, we will have that feeling, but maybe just watch it float by -- thank it for sharing and then let it go, like a balloon.
    • Labeling yourself as having poor self-control actually leads to less self-control. So, maybe look at telling yourself a different story about yourself.

cw0xexoc08js.jpg

I like this. Very much. Lately I've been thinking a lot about how the source of my weight problem is that I have to get my head together. Most everything is focused on will power-- but this shows that kind of thinking can be dangerous.
  • Cornanda
    Options
    Plus, the more I think badly of myself, the more I want to eat!
  • Cornanda
    Options
    mrmcgrath wrote: »
    [quote="Cornanda;c-44918042"!
    @mrmcgrath would you be willing to share some thoughts about Noom?s.

Sure. I do not like the food tracking module as much as I do mfp and I had difficulty getting my Fitbit steps to sync at first BUT I do like the daily lessons and the psychology behind them. It has really helped me dig deep as to why I keep doing what I am doing. Plus you are assigned a goal coach and a group coach and that has helped tremendously keep on track.
    [/quote]

Thank you. I've been interested in the behavior part of it as I think that's what I may need more than anything else.
  • Cornanda
    Options
    Friday weigh in
    cornanda
    week 3? 4/17
    PW: 186.1
    CW 187.6

:'(:#
  • TeresaW1020
    Options
    Username:TeresaW1020
    Weigh in week:  Week 3
    Weigh in day: Friday
    Previous Weight: 210.5
    Todays Weight: 212.5 :frowning:

I totally forgot that today was Friday!! :o
  • TeresaW1020
    Options
    @Cornada, (((hugs))) to you, my friend. Thanks for your kind words. Let's NOT focus on this last week but look forward to a new week and finishing this month strong. OK? We can do it!! <3

@AustinRuadhain, thank you!! <3 You are right that I need to look at what I am doing right, which is weighing in and owning the number, working out, tracking my points (most days ;) ), and mostly NEVER giving up!! I might be down this week but I'm NOT staying down. Thanks for the quotes from the book and for your takeaways. Great stuff and I need to spend some time really meditating and journalling what you wrote. I'm too tired now but will do it in the morning. Thank you!! :)
  • its_cleo
    its_cleo Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    @katmary71 glad the doc’s appointment went well. Do I understand right- it was all good except for the blood pressure?

@gunderw59 keep up the weight loss! You inspired me with the cross training workouts and I mentioned it to my trainer so we are going to play around with it a bit.

@TeresaW1020 trainer session was a little better today- the Internet connection was better so that really helped, and I didn’t feel quite so clobbered by the workout. So maybe my stamina is coming back slowly. ….please don’t come down so hard on yourself. First of all this is a tough time, nothing is normal for everyone. Second of all, this isn’t a linear process. I think there are lots of backwards and forwards steps. Third- the first point again. I also wouldn’t underestimate the impact of stress. Our bodies can react in strange ways when we’re in stress periods, from aches and pains to retaining weight. I hope you can continue to be gentle with yourself.

@trooworld the achilles is coming along. I’ve been massaging it with a foam roller for like 3 mins at a time which is honestly a pain but it seems to help a lot. I’m still moving slowly but I’m optimistic.

@Cornanda the quote posting thing can be a challenge for sure!

Well I am ok gang. Doubt I have any weight loss but I think after 4 weeks of shutdown, I finally hit on a new goal structure for my cals and exercises. I usually do 3 month chunks of goals and then adjust based on my accomplishments. Well this week ends a 3 month chunk and the pandemic hit in the middle so everything went kind of sideways.

But my new way of tracking with my exercises: half hour chunks, alternating cardio, strength training, core, and mobility. This week I had a total of 11 hours. So next week I will try to increase to maybe an extra half hour a day.

Calories- meh not great. I have good days and bad. But my goal is to stay under 160 for the pandemic and if I can do that then I’m happy.

Not much else to report. Take care all- @raleighgirl09 you're in my thoughts and hope all is well.
  • bethanie0825
    bethanie0825 Posts: 1,474 Member
    Options
    @AustinRuadhain I just joined the calories burned challenge. I’ve been moving more and more so why not? I love a good competition!! My name is Bethanie P.

@vegan4lyfe2012 My most current driver’s license photo is what got to me the most. We’ll get back to our previous photos again!

I’ve been walking a ton and starting running. It’s a 15-16 minute mile so not very fast but I can eek out 3 miles at that pace. I’m trying to get my mileage back from when I was sick. I’m hoping to hit my 500 mile mark in the next week. But I did check my weight again this morning and it’s already dropped back off.

I’m drinking all the water and trying to wean off of sugar free red bulls. I’m using water flavors and some have caffeine but I mix them with non-caffeine ones. One step at a time lol. I was drinking way too many of them with way too much fake sugar. I didn’t realize it until my coworker mentioned her GI issues caused by the fake sugar. Yeah…same lol
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    @davors19 yay, 2lbs down!

@mrmcgrath sounds like a beautiful weekend! Noom sounds interesting, the psychological aspect would definitely be helpful.

@gunderw59 nice drop, congratulations!
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    vegan4lyfe2012
    Week 3
    Saturday
    PW: 193.4
    CW: 192.4

I can't wait to drop a decade. So close to the 80s 😊
  • Cornanda
    Options
    @TeresaW1020 ((hugs)) to you as well. I agree- this week is best put behind us and focus on moving ahead. I'm also going to focus on not having a "what the heck, I already messed up so I will eat whatever I want all weekend" weekend. o:)>:)<3
  • raleighgirl09
    raleighgirl09 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    @raleighgirl09, girl your attitude is amazing!! I’m so glad that your assessment of losing your job has you feeling grateful and that you will be OK. It still sucks and I am sorry that you now have to figure out what to do next. You will get that weight off this week for sure because you are a girl with a plan and you know how to work the plan! Be VERY kind to yourself! <3

Good morning team! Sorry that I was missing the last couple of days. I have been fighting with myself over my weight gain and trying to figure out how I can get my motivation back to start consistently losing again. Why is OK that I keep gaining!! At the end of last October, I was 203 lbs. and so happy that I was almost at Onderland. And then I just started gaining every month. Sure, there are weeks when I’m down but the trend has been up and it keeps going up. This morning my scale weighed me at 213 lbs. What the heck!!! :s So, I went and re-watched the video that I spoke to @Cornanda about and will post it below. I went and looked at my pictures from when I weighed my heaviest 264 lbs. to my lowest at 203 lbs. This is just unacceptable behavior and it HAS to stop!!! I put so much work into my workouts. My muscles literally hurt somewhere on my body every day because I push myself to be fitter and stronger. But then I end up eating too much and obviously NOT caring. Ugghhhhh!! :angry:

I stumbled upon this video of a woman who lost 250 lbs and this video really spoke to me on why weight loss is really in our hands and ours alone.

Thanks so much @TeresaW1020 !!! I would gently suggest applying this advice (see above) when you are talking to Teresa... => You are always as close to making progress as decisions with the next meal, the next moment. I won't try to say it's ok - you get to decide what is ok for you. I never thought about my Slimpossibles Captain being a perfect person, a perfect example. I have always been grateful you are willing to take the time and effort to help others, it didn't occur to me to judge your personal efforts. Well - I won't be starting that today, either. =>

Hey - that UK chick is amazing, thanks for sending that along, I subscribed to her channel. What an inspiration, and she talks about setbacks.
This discussion has been closed.