WAISTAWAYS Team Chat - July 2020

Replies

• YinxFed
    YinxFed Posts: 1,054 Member
    Hello Team!

I'm Yinka. I'm 56 years old and from Worcestershire, UK . I'm married to Ben (21 years) and mother to a grown up married son who lives with his lovely wife in Virginia, USA. And we have a gorgeous little dog called Edie. I am an online English language tutor and course creator and I work from home.

I have been with the Waistaways for a few months now and, I haven't made as much progress as I would have liked. So I will definitely be joining the measuring challenge - at least for the first week.

I love to workout and do 5 to 6 days a week. I'm currently about to start Week 3 of a 12 week fitness program. Exercise, however, is not my problem! I just eat too much and I really need to build in some consistently good habits.

So this month I intend to:
    1. Log everything
    2. Measure everything
    3. Post daily

I believe I can start to seriously take myself in hand this month!

TTFN
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,035 Member
    Terytha wrote: »
    I always measure everything anyway. The only thing I stopped measuring is cucumber since 60 grams is only 9 calories and I basically never eat more than that on a sandwich.

Otherwise if it's got calories and isn't like take out/prepared food, I measure it. Have every day for a year. My kitchen scale is looking pretty beat up these days. XD
    This is amazing! I am bad about consistent measurements, but I know when I really keep it tight, everything works well. It's a PITA, but it works! And yeah, cukes don't count. Celery either.
  • jugar
    CLARIFICATION:
    The "Green" report is the % of members who lose anything at all. If there are 25 people on the team and everyone loses only 0.1 lbs, that team is 100% green. It is not about this size of the loss - it is about the loss, full stop. I put in the "weeks in the green" thing (go check it out on the spreadsheets if you want to) to celebrate the amazing people who lose at least a little bit, especially if it is for many weeks. It is not about the big losses, high percentages, 1st prize - it is about the steady chipping away. I am always WAY happier if our team has a high percentage in the green than if we hit the top 3 for total losses. Let's aim always at steady green (loss) over high loss followed by a bounce back into the red.

This month, I am trying to keep inside my maintenance zone without the creeping up that was happening steadily last month. Alcohol is on another break - 90% of the July challenge has to be alcohol free (30 of the 34 days). It always helps. And portion control! I am always thinking well, it's almost all vegetables, so I don't really need to measure, right? Reality check this month.

Oooooh. Thunder just rumbled. Must be a SIGN.
  • jugar
    edited June 2020
    As usual, I have not reminded the Sunday weigh-in people that their weigh-ins are due because it is Sunday!

Let's go!
    @graceojo999
    @jguldi11
    @alexsandramorff

Don't forget to include the "LTD" line if you want to - this is your Loss To Date. How much have you lost from your highest ever? This does not have to be your starting weight with MFP or our challenge - it should be from where you really started out. So the weigh-in can include:

PW previous weight (last week)
    CW current weight (today on the day it is due and not late, right???)
    LTD loss to date - how much you have lost since that terrible day when you hit the highest ever. Or if you are at the highest ever, commit to getting outta there - you're here to do that!

don't worry if you have no time or don't want to include all that - the most important is your current weight.

Monday reminder - while I'm at it -
    @reflectionofme
    @unevano
    @ells_runs
    @eponymoose (hoping you are still with us!!)
  • micki48
    micki48 Posts: 2,253 Member
    Hellooooo July group!! I’m Shanda I’m from Ohio this is my third month now with team waistaways. I Have 3 kids 👧🏻👦🏼👧🏼 And 2 dogs 🐕 🐕 who have me running around like a crazy person most of the time lol. My total weight loss WAS 105 pounds. However I got a bit lazy and fell off for awhile, I gained 40 pounds back over some time. I have since lost a few pounds so I’m getting back on track.. @micki48 i would like to join the step challenge this month!! I’m hoping that will keep me accountable and I actually put my Apple Watch on everyday 🤦🏻‍♀️

Got you on the step team. Post daily or at the end of the week. 🙂
    Steps
    Sun - 10,836
    Mon - 5,161
    Tues - 11,406
    Wed - 8,118
    Thurs - 7,108
    Fri - 9,990
    Sat- 7,183

Not my best week.
    Kelly, those steps are very admirable. May not be your best week, but still well done and with all you have going in your life. I’m guessing you are in for July for step team?

I feel like I am in a bit of a slump when you think you're doing pretty good and then you see pictures of yourself and you have that moment of "I have so much further to go😔" I also looked at pictures of me last summer and I have come so far. Just in a hurry I guess. I'll get there eventually!

@conleywoods or @KellyBgetsfit I can’t remember which one of you said this as it was back on the June thread, but I am totally right there with you. I’ve had two months with small net gains. Not good. And just this week I saw a photo of myself that was disappointing. I thought I had come so far (I am proud of what I’ve done) but the photo brought back the realization that I still have a long way to go as well. My mind is in a hurry too, but for the last six months, my progress has been in slow mo or backwards. We can do this together. 🤗😁 👟
  • micki48
    Hi! I’m Michele living in the US state of North Carolina for the last 9 years. I will be celebrating 37 years of marriage later this month. I have two grown children, a daughter, 32 and son,29. And I’m Mom Mom to one amazing 2 year old granddaughter, who I start watching full time again tomorrow. I taught elementary school for 25+ years before watching her.

I just turned 56 last month and find weight loss way slower than it used to be. But like @jugar said and many others have proven, it can be done even at this time in ones life.

My all time high was 223.5 back in April of 2018. I am starting July at 191.6. I was down to 188.x back in March, but the last few months have had net gains. That needs to change this month.

I have been with this wonderful group since February of 2019. I am co-captain with @jugar but by no means her equal. She is the brains and brawn here. 😉 I help out with support and running the step challenge. If you are interested in participating, let me know on the thread, then post your steps here daily or all at once by the end of the week(and exercise if you want it to be translated to steps). You can tell me your daily goal as well. Mine is 8.5k steps daily. Also if you’re on Fitbit, let me know your username or email and you can join us for daily/weekly challenges. They are quite fun and motivating. At the end of the week, I will post results of our step challenge with total steps and top steppers. So who’s in?

Glad to have our new members and to continue with all the wonderful Waistaways teammates. Let’s go!😁👟🎉
  • deniners2
    deniners2 Posts: 766 Member
    @CanadianGiraffe
    I don't know if I said this last month, but your story so far is inspirational. Thank you for sharing. I'm so glad you've committed & had such success. You can get to your goal weight! May your July be awesome!
  • deniners2
    @CM_73 & @happimess01
    Welcome! :)
    Let's make new habits, get fit, & lose some lbs/kg!
  • deniners2
    July goal #1:
    Eat what I planned for tomorrow. No extras, like those potato chips someone brought to work. Late night dinner without snacking has been hard. I've planned Ezekiel bread (orange) with a TJs cowboy veggie burger. Whew! I better do this! :#
  • CanadianGiraffe
    CanadianGiraffe Posts: 205 Member
    @deniners2 Thanks for your kind words :)

• ells_runs
    ells_runs Posts: 99 Member
    ells_runs
    July Week 1
    PW 217lbs
    CW 216lbs

Good luck team ♥️
  • KellyBgetsfit
    KellyBgetsfit Posts: 1,713 Member
    I had a great day yesterday, even though my calories were high, they were quality calories and the scale is down!!! I weighed in 3 days in a row since I couldn't get into community for a few days and they were all about the same. I dropped almost a pound. I did Liift 4 on Beachbody, 10 minutes on the elliptical, and pool fun (treading water, jogging in place, leg kicks).

I usually start out the month saying I want to lose 3 or 4 pounds. I try to keep it realistic. This month, I am setting weekly weight loss goals, and daily nutrition and exercise goals. July is going to be a great month, I can feel it.

@micki48 When I am working, I average well over 10,000 steps without trying. I think that it why I get down on my summer steps. And yes, I was also at my lowest in March. April saw a slight gain, but inches were lost. May was a push, and June was a gain. BUT, it's a new month (almost) and July is a great month to shed some pounds!!!!
  • Gidgitgoescrazy
    Gidgitgoescrazy Posts: 638 Member
    Good Morning My fabulous fit friends...

I'm Vikki, I've been here since sept of last year I think, Might have been oct... Anyway, I have 3 children, all but one no longer live at home. I have 2 dogs, 2 cats and one husband... I live in Baltimore, MD and love outdoorsy stuff like kayaking ( we just bought them about 2 months ago) and canoeing and camping... Speaking of which we are camping this weekend, so I will need to weigh in on Thursday since I will be gone from then till Monday and we definitely don't have cell service where I am going this time ...

I have struggled with my weight since I hit my late 30s, but it's never been that big of a deal till I had to be put on meds for my blood pressure - so since sept I am down 26lbs, it's slow but I'm okay with that... I still have another 30ish I would like to lose - But will be happy with just another 15.. I think I have finally found my groove this time and it's mostly thanks to this wonderful group here.. The challenges, the daily check ins, the advice and just the camaraderie is something that has been very helpful in keeping me committed and motivated, and when I do fall off the wagon, I find that coming here daily helps me get back on that much quicker...

So I am not going to do the step challenge this month, simply because after the podiatrist this morning I seem to have Achilles Tendinitis, Plantar fascitis and Mortons Neuroma - So I have to limit my walking and wear stupid shoes ! I can continue to do my 2 miles in the morning ( only with shoes on though), or walk for up to an hour a day, but it's one or the other.. I have exercises I have to do 3 times a day for my tootsies also.. He said it was fairly mild and I should see some great improvement within 2-3 weeks if I do everything right, and then I can start increasing everything..

I did my blood work on friday, so I'm very excited to see if my cholesterol is reduced, it wasn't bad to begin with, but I am hoping it's down...

Okay have a great monday folks !

• YinxFed
    YinxFed Posts: 1,054 Member
    Happy Monday All,

So far so good - Today I have:
    Logged everything
    Slept for more than 7 hours (just)
    Come into this wonderful space to say "hi"
    Measured what needed to be measured.

Update for 28th June:
    Steps - 3461
    Exercise minutes - 0 (rest day!)
  • CanadianGiraffe
    CanadianGiraffe Posts: 205 Member
    @Gidgetgoescrazy Good luck with your plantar fasciitis. I had a bout of it in 2013 after an ankle injury and it was no fun. I had good luck with physio and acupuncture. Still flares up occasionally but now I recognize it early and can get on stretching & exercises to keep it from becoming an issue.
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Today I'm ok with the increase on the scale. Since we've been able to get back to the gym, the DOMS is legit. My arms hurt so bad you guys. So. Bad. DOMS = water weight, so I'll probably be stalled out a while until I recover/build strength again.

It's the good pain though, the "I worked hard for this" pain. So I'm more lol at how wimpy I feel than anything.

I'm hoping this holds and we can keep going to the gym, but I'm worried about the people I saw getting handsy with the equipment and not wiping it down after. :/

• micki48
    So I am not going to do the step challenge this month, simply because after the podiatrist this morning I seem to have Achilles Tendinitis, Plantar fascitis and Mortons Neuroma - So I have to limit my walking and wear stupid shoes ! I can continue to do my 2 miles in the morning ( only with shoes on though), or walk for up to an hour a day, but it's one or the other.. I have exercises I have to do 3 times a day for my tootsies also.. He said it was fairly mild and I should see some great improvement within 2-3 weeks if I do everything right, and then I can start increasing everything..

@Gidgitgoescrazy Wow! What a trifecta of foot issues. I will take you off the step challenge for this month. I have a Morton’s neuroma. That can be painful or just weird (it makes my toes spread apart. Lol). I hope you get some relief and are feeling good again soon. Good for you for getting your groove back so quickly.

@terytha Glad you are comfortable knowing that the scale is not our only measure of success. Congratulations on getting back to the gym and feeling that hurts so good pain that you know builds muscle.

@CanadianGiraffe You are so good at this I am confident you will get back in step and end this day feeing good. I believe in you. Heck, I’m inspired by you.

Today has been busy starting much earlier for me, back to being child care for Juliet. I already have about 6,900 steps and we’re only at the halfway point in the day. We have played in the yard, danced, sang, painted and made up a game with shuttlecocks and a box. Thank goodness she was exhausted and went down pretty easily for a nap. Love that sweetie.

I have done pretty well with measuring everything. It’s a lot of work. There were a couple things I forgot, but I was pretty sure about. All logged. On my 3rd “bucket” of water today. Hope to get a walk in this pm if it’s not too hot or after dinner. I did some basic Pilates exercises this morning before she came. I REALLY want July to show a loss every week.

My goal looking forward is to first get back to 188.5, which I was for a moment in March. Then to get to185.5 which was my lowest since I started MFP 6 or 7 years ago. So by the end of this summer be below that. It’s about 7 pounds. I should be able to do that but I know it will take some work. My losses have been s-l-o-w.

Hope you are all having great days. 🙂🤗
This discussion has been closed.