What's on your mind today?

Options

Replies

• BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,387 Member
    Options
    We just had a tornado warning alert delivered to our cell phone (the last one to touch down locally was 2 years ago ... I have lived here all my life and I can't remember ANY farther back than that!)

Odds are it WON'T happen to go right through the power station again .... but if i don't show up late this evening or for a few days that would be why.

Fortunately, the next loaf of bread-maker bread will be finished in about 30 minutes and THIS time we have a little coleman camp stove for boiling water for tea / coffee (trying to do that on the bbq last time just DIDN'T work well ... )
  • Anya_000
    Anya_000 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    KCJen wrote: »

I have read about the maintenance phase with calorie counting after people reach their goal weight, and I was thinking maybe this time I should start with my "maintenance" calories and just learn how to have a healthy lifestyle that is sustainable for the rest of my life. I remember I read an article that it takes 11 to 13 calories to maintain one pound of weight, depending on the person's lifestyle. So I was thinking for the sake of "easy math" I will use 10 calories to maintain one pound of weight, and that for my height the charts list 130 to 144 pounds is the healthy weight range for me. So with that said my calorie range should be 1,300 to 1,440, so I will use the 1.440 calories per day to learn how to have a sustainable healthy lifestyle.

I wanted to post this and see what others thought. I have read a study of people who learned how to count calories by "maintenance" versus the strict 1,200 calorie diet actually reached their goal and kept off the weight.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts!

I'm with you. Last month, I tried to cut too low on the calories, couldn't do it, got discouraged, and gave up. This month, I'm eating around maintenance which for me is about 1430-40. I'm going to eat my exercise calories. It'll be interesting to see how this pans out.
  • Anya_000
    Anya_000 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017 , this post is very helpful.
  • KCJen
    KCJen Posts: 1,089 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    @BMcC9 @MadisonMolly2017 Thank you. The posts by both of you have been very helpful. I am so glad that the UAC is still active and thankful for both of you and everyone else in this group. When I told my doctor I was upset about my weight gain, he told me that the best thing I did for my health was to quit smoking. He said that I can re-lose the weight, but quitting smoking was the best choice out of the two. I am very encouraged to start my weight loss journey again with the UAC group. :)

Last night I was looking thru the message boards and found more insightful posts from @MadisonMolly2017 and others. The problem is that I can spend hours looking thru the posts and join too many groups that I cant manage properly and still get my to-do list done for the day. I would like to find good educational information. I am currently limiting my message board reading, and of course, the UAC is the my main support group on MFP.

Does anyone have any suggestions on good reference information on health? Like exercise, weight loss, calories, healthy meal planning, and nutrition? I used to read the articles from Sparkpeople. I haven't found anything from MFP yet. Does MFP have a section for info educational articles?

Just a quick edit: I just found the MFP blog section!
  • KCJen
    KCJen Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    @anya_000 we will figure this out and do it together! :)
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Finally am getting caught up with life in general. I have been very silent due to many projects, work, hurricane preparations, etc. The storm did not amount to much here. But, found a ton of water in my pantry (under the stairs) yesterday. After approximately 2 hours of clean up I discovered the water was leaking through the wall. Note our water heaters are also under the stairs and mine was replaced about 2 years ago (it has an alarm if water should leak in to the pan under it - new code).

Anyway, after shutting off the main line to my town home discovered the water was actually coming from the neighbor's unit. They were out so I had to continuously wipe up water for another 2 hours to make sure it did not damage my home. They were very thankful when they returned and I let them know. It could have been a disaster for both of us, but only clean up for both and a new water heater for them. He's a general contractor so not a big deal for him.

I am finding I have got to get back to basics with my meal planning and prep and sticking with the menu. I also need to go back to buying single servings of those trigger foods such as ice cream.

That all said we are all works in progress and I do find this group very supportive and filled with great ideas. Like most here I find protein in the morning usually sets me up for a good day. I have also done a lot of research that states woman (sorry guys) should start with a protein as it assists in regulating our hormones.

I also find eating full fat foods (think yogurt and milk here) are more satisfying to me. I find it fills me up for a longer period of time even though I am eating less.

Jana - please remember a slip is not a fall. We all slip and it helps to just look at the next meal/day as a new beginning. You are doing fine. Just log in every day and visit the group. There is no judgement - we are all works in progress.

Got to get back to work - oh, I love the freedom working remote provides. And, now we are all active on MS Teams so we get to see each other (if we want). I do not think we will all be going back to the office until sometime next year and even when we do it will not be full time.

Hope everyone has a great day!
  • BMcC9
    Options
    @SuziQ113 we have MSTeams too! And just last week there was a polling on who would CHOOSE to go on-site PART-TIME to some degree once it becomes available (even if they didn't have to), and who would PREFER to keep right on working off-site full time (if no operational reason required them to go in)

I chose 100% off-site for the time being.
  • BMcC9
    Options
    @BMcC9 @MadisonMolly2017 Thank you. The posts by both of you have been very helpful. I am so glad that the UAC is still active and thankful for both of you and everyone else in this group. When I told my doctor I was upset about my weight gain, he told me that the best thing I did for my health was to quit smoking. He said that I can re-lose the weight, but quitting smoking was the best choice out of the two. I am very encouraged to start my weight loss journey again with the UAC group. :)

Last night I was looking thru the message boards and found more insightful posts from @MadisonMolly2017 and others. The problem is that I can spend hours looking thru the posts and join too many groups that I cant manage properly and still get my to-do list done for the day. I would like to find good educational information. I am currently limiting my message board reading, and of course, the UAC is the my main support group on MFP.

Does anyone have any suggestions on good reference information on health? Like exercise, weight loss, calories, healthy meal planning, and nutrition? I used to read the articles from Sparkpeople. I haven't found anything from MFP yet. Does MFP have a section for info educational articles?

Just a quick edit: I just found the MFP blog section!

LOL I was JUST about to tell you where to find it!

For everyone else ... the "blog" sub choice on the Community Tab is full of blogs by individual members.

the Blog Main Tab (right beside the Community Main Tab) is the gateway to diverse and well written professional Blogs on all kinds of sub categories like Recipes, Nutrition, Fitness, Motivation, Weight Loss and more. It also leads to a video-blog tab for workouts, recipes, motivation etc.
  • BMcC9
    Options
    BMcC9 wrote: »
    We just had a tornado warning alert delivered to our cell phone (the last one to touch down locally was 2 years ago ... I have lived here all my life and I can't remember ANY farther back than that!)

Odds are it WON'T happen to go right through the power station again .... but if i don't show up late this evening or for a few days that would be why.

Fortunately, the next loaf of bread-maker bread will be finished in about 30 minutes and THIS time we have a little coleman camp stove for boiling water for tea / coffee (trying to do that on the bbq last time just DIDN'T work well ... )

As you can see, I am back .... the storm center ended up splitting to either side of us, so not only was the tornado warning downgraded first to a Watch and then to a Severe Weather Watch ... we got no more than bands of heavy rain moving though. The lawns and gardens are SOOOOOOOOO thankful for the water!

Pembroke (to the north) and Watertown NY (on the St Laurence River and south of us) got the heavier winds and rain.
  • BMcC9
    Options
    Does anyone else have a meme or poster (or motivational short video or podcast that they watch / listen to on a recurring basis ) that feels particularly helpful or encouraging or bracing in a "be kind to yourself" kind of way?
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,007 Member
    Options
    @KCJen
    I wrote this prior to seeing your great post.
    I have done a ton of research. I’ll friend you - and perhaps I can help speed you on your way!
    Short version, which saddened me greatly: Nutrition Science is in it’s infancy. Really. No one knows.
    Things they do know:
    1. Trans fats should be eliminated. Period. Full stop.
    2. Some people have gluten allergies. Most do not. You can be tested.
    3. Ditto dairy.
    4. Fad diets make profits for companies. That’s why there are so many.
    ☀️5. The truth is YOU get to design your eating pattern so 1) it fuels you 2) it is satisfying 3) it helps any genetic predispositions or current health issues. (Ex: recent research shows Crohn’s patients should avoid emulsifiers, micro particles, & 4 other preservatives...all found, of course, in ice cream.) interestingly other dietary conclusions they reached differed for Ulcerative Colitis vs Crohn’s. See #1 above. The field is JUST emerging.
    6. Americans report foods are “tastier” the more salt, sugar, and/or day is added. I am proof - as are others here- that those taste impressions can be changed over time. I can’t believe I actually say “this is too salty” or it stuns next when I say this is too sweet - never thought that would be me.
    7. Countries that begin eating processed foods see their obesity rates skyrocket.

Pass Day #2
    I spent the whole day with my family and we ate out twice, which blew my calories.

I know that I will be disqualified soon, however, my main goal for August is to develop tracking habits, learning correct portions, and starting to develop new healthy habits while I stop my bad unhealthy habits. Also, I forgot to mention, finding healthy recipes, cut-out the eating out again, start drinking water, and get back on my treadmill. So that is my focus for August.

I live with my teen in a small town about an hour east of Kansas City, MO.

@KCJen
    That sounds like a fabulous weekend!!

Here’s what you mentioned as your goals for August:
    1. Build Tracking foods habit
    2. Correct Portion sizes
    3. Healthy recipes
    4. Cut-out eating out again
    5. Start Drinking water
    6. Get back on Treadmill

Each of those, for me, took a lot of effort & trial & error.

My first month - back in Jan 2016
    I did #1, 2, and 4.

Then I stopped all three of them & counted calories. I lost about 37 lbs and I did cut out sweets and ate out only 1-2 times per week (planned in advance)

Exercise I kicked in later mid 2017

In Sept 2017, I found the NOOM app which helped me focus on one habit change per day/week.

I’ve kept that approach since then. One, at most 2, habits to focus on for a month (I’m in maintenance so my remaining g “bad” habits are the really tough ones, so I give myself a month to practice them.)

I’m wondering if there are 1 or 2 habits you’d really like to master in August?! You can always do another 1-2 in September!!!

Also, having 2 Pass Days early in the month - believe me I’ve done that! Particularly with family birthdays early in a month ...
    So, how about your month begins today Aug 3, and when you get through Sept 2, I’ll do an Unofficial Congratulations Post for you!!!

As a maintainer, I know firsthand how important the ability to Restart Right Away is. Imagine a running race, 2 people trip each other & fall. One dusts themselves off, checks their scrapes, means “why me?”, slowly gets up & continues running. The other (YOU❤️) jumps up & tears off running!

We have to pop back on track as fast as humanly possible. 1-2 simple, measurable habits can help us do that!

PS 4 years 7 months, 70+ pounds lower, I still don’t have healthy (or any) recipes. We eat simply - by choice. I found it was important that I had food I could eat right away when I got hungry. Otherwise I ate twice - once when cooking & once when we sat down.

I know you didn’t ask for advice. Please ignore, if it doesn’t help you.

Rooting for you,
    Maddie
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Maddie - Agree with so much of what you posted. Especially the "quick fixes" - even to the point of all of the supplements! Such a racket. It's best to get a full blood work up every couple of years or so. Most will find, if eating healthy, there is no need to even take a daily vitamin. But, some feel it is necessary and I support those who feel the need to take.

@BMcC9 - I love the blog section of MFP. I find a lot of great articles and am able to do further research, if I want to. The references and articles are practical and not based upon fads. Glad the tornadoes passed by......
  • jillebean86
    jillebean86 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    At @BMcC9 's recommendation, I am bringing a question up for discussion: What can you do for exercise with an injured foot?

Gym is closed, swimming is out recently due to local shark activity, my bike shoes hurt my foot, and I should probably not be walking/running as much as I have been. I've been brainstorming some ideas to stay active, but my list is decidedly lacking in cardio activities and I'm not happy about it. Here's what I have so far - more contributions welcome!

1. Increase mental flexibility. For me, I think the biggest issue is that I'm being stubborn - "if I can't swim/bike/run/go to the gym, then I don't want to work out at all." I need to be more mindful of what's REALLY stopping me from working out, think outside the box, and come up with some other enjoyable activities.
    2. Weightlifting. Ok, so it's not usually great cardio, but I could speed it up to increase intensity.
    3. Yoga. Again, not great cardio, but a regular yoga practice might help me to be ok with that.
    4. Workout videos. Free workout videos are everywhere - would just take some minor modifications to avoid pushing off with my feet. This one sounds a lot like torture to me - anyone know of some fun free videos?
    5. A Ring Fit Adventure game (finally starting to approach normal prices again!) is on its way. Hopefully there's a way to modify it to avoid jumping/running activities.

What would you do for exercise while allowing a foot to heal?
  • Chinkiri
    Chinkiri Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    @BMcC9 and @juliemouse83 I buy bags of frozen mixed red fruits. Now it's so hot, I just weigh some, put them in a bowl, add yoghurt and maybe a few spoonfuls of muesli. Wait a few minutes and the fruits will be half defrosted and very cold, yoghurt as well. Really nice, great start to the day!
  • Chinkiri
    Chinkiri Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Different topic: I see lots of people talking about being hungry, on topic of eating back calories.
    I am on 1200 calories (or try to be). Mostly sedentary, making sure I get at least 30 minutes walking every day, but also do 60-minute exercise classes and 30 minute swimming sessions regularly.
    I never feel hungry. In fact, I cannot even remember ever feeling hungry. I think I eat out of boredom, habit, keeping up with friends, even politeness: I cannot keep pushing my Mum's cakes and biscuits away, can I? Sometimes I have a real yen for something calorific, like yesterday I really really fancied pate on toast. Cheese regularly!) Sadly, I rarely have a yen for lettuce. (Cucumber sometimes, or radishes, I try and capitalise on those).
    Do you all eat because you are hungry?
  • Jana_2020
    Jana_2020 Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    @BMcC9 Lol! Love it! Definitely will remember that one & apply it. :D<3
  • readyornot1234
    readyornot1234 Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    @jillebean86 - weight lifting is great for building muscle which in turn burns more fat. I cannot lift while doing cardio at the same time. I need to focus on one thing - can’t multitask like that as then my form suffers. There are many on line lifting while in a chair videos. There are also cardio workouts that are low impact. My knees appreciate those. Find something you can do and then modify the heck out of it. The last thing you want to do is make it worse. So let it heal and be patient. Someone here posted about workouts while in bed. I can’t remember what it was.

@Chinkiri - if I go too long between meals I eat because I’m very hungry. That isn’t happening right now because of staying home. I’m finding if I’m bored I eat so I’m trying to stay somewhat busy - especially from 7pm til bedtime.