WaistAways - December 2020 Team Chat

Replies

• jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,004 Member
    I came here to catch up and maybe post a bit, but I'm now inspired to get to my exercise first. I have done a lot of steps today, but nothing else - so SEE YA LATER! I got stuff to do :smiley: Thanks for the inspiration!
  • jugar
    Terytha wrote: »
    Well folks, its done. November is coming to a close and I successfully wrote just over 50,000 words of a terrible novel. I also spent many hours procrastinating, reading, stressing and basically being a basket case so I'm honestly glad November is at an end. I should be a little more present in December.

I think I took 20 steps total yesterday and my legs and back are quite sore, so I'm thinking exercise is on the schedule for tonight. And of course, the traditional celebratory cake. We're opting for chocolate pancakes instead of actual cake this year, for the sake of convenience.

Just three weeks left until vacation...

You did it! Even if you feel like it is a terrible novel, go back and read it in a few months and you might like it more. The process can be brutal - so now you can crawl out of the basket and enjoy moving around and doing nice boring things :smiley: And vacation is coming.
  • jugar
    edited December 2020
    Department of Redundancy Department News and Announcements! (aka me being a pest)

There are still some Monday weigh-ins not yet received (unless MFP is acting up or I missed them :grimace: ) -

@jguldi11
    @reflectionofme
    @ells_runs
    @snakagawa11
    @healthygirlintransit found it!
    @FFwife925

And welcome to our newest member @KatherineSkylar99 ! I hope you find us and dive right in. Your weigh-in will be Wednesday, so get ready :smiley:
  • micki48
    micki48 Posts: 2,253 Member
    edited December 2020
    Terytha wrote: »
    Well folks, its done. November is coming to a close and I successfully wrote just over 50,000 words of a terrible novel. I also spent many hours procrastinating, reading, stressing and basically being a basket case so I'm honestly glad November is at an end. I should be a little more present in December.

I think I took 20 steps total yesterday and my legs and back are quite sore, so I'm thinking exercise is on the schedule for tonight. And of course, the traditional celebratory cake. We're opting for chocolate pancakes instead of actual cake this year, for the sake of convenience.

Just three weeks left until vacation...

Congratulations on completing your "down draft" as Anne Lamott calls it. You just get it down. That's half the battle. Way to go!!

I managed to do 17 minutes of pilates while my granddaughter napped today. It felt good. My water has been good and I've logged my food (well, still have a bit more to do, but I will.) Then one of my besties sent me authentic Italian Cookies in the mail. OMG! They are so good and cannot be found in North Carolina, so my daughter and I ate and savored every bite we took, but we ate a few. Oh well. Not going to pass those up, especially the pignoli.
  • CurvyCalorie
    CurvyCalorie Posts: 266 Member
    @micki48 @jugar Thank you both SO much for all the encouragement! This group is everything!!

Steps for today November 30 8,388

Welcome @MissMeaganLyn This is a great team

Cheers to us all!! ⭐️✨🌟
  • micki48
    yoq1p3ebn42g.jpeg

WAISTAWAYS NOVEMBER FINAL RESULTS

TEAM TOTAL STEPS - 2,803,381

wjrpl7spj6qj.png

TOP NOVEMBER STEPPERS

1st - @jugar 395, 349
    2nd - @KellyBgetsfit 370,570
    3rd - @Kali225 367,776

GREAT JOB EVERYONE!!!!

2agql3tbbx5l.jpg
  • micki48
    ptcq0zyy7a8q.png

Talk it out Tuesday - Need to vent about something? Got a challenging situation coming up? Looking for suggestions on how to handle it? Reply with hugs or suggestions.
  • jguldi11
    jguldi11 Posts: 201 Member
    @jugar I'm going to put my participation on pause until I can consult with a medical provider in the next few weeks. Nothing bad is happening, just some changes. As such I do not have a weigh-in right now. I'm still being mindful of what I'm eating and trying to get daily activity but I'm not sure weightloss is an appropriate goal quite yet.

@micki48 here are my steps from last week, I apologize if I'm too late!

p7opqph2lnk9.png
  • MissMeaganLyn
    MissMeaganLyn Posts: 61 Member
    Quick question, are steps a requirement?
  • PlaneMonkey
    PlaneMonkey Posts: 568 Member
    We made it to December!

I'm Courtney and I'm an Aircraft Maintenance Engineer at the Ottawa Airport in Canada but I live across the inter-provincial bridge in a rural town in cottage-country Quebec. I turned 40 this summer and had great plans to hit the gym and get in shape beforehand, and then Covid happened and I lost all motivation when the gym closed and stress-ate my face off while on lockdown.

I've been gaining and losing the same 40lbs for almost 20 years, so I'm hoping this time, with all of the motivation around me like I've found in this group, I will finally stick to it, and learn to be satisfied with the calorie limit I should actually be consuming instead of my goldfish tendencies to eat until I want to explode. This is now my fourth month with this group, and I've started to dip back into the 'wine with dinner' habit and that needs to be reserved for weekends only for me if I hope to keep this downward progress.

My goals for December are the same as last month:
    1. Log honestly every day
    2. Avoid wine on weekdays
    3. Remember to drink water!

Last month I managed #1 ok, but #2 slipped up by week 3 (I blame hubby as the bad influence) and #3 I blame on mask wearing at work cause my face is always covered and I feel awkward taking the mask off to drink unless I run and hide away from co-workers to do it. Still haven't found a better method to make sure I stay hydrated!

One hurdle I'm about to face is I have been using a commercial grade scale at work and they have just limited access to the room it's located in to Pilots only with key-card access. This means I probably need to obtain my own scale. The one I currently have at home fluctuates too much so I would appreciate recommandations from the team on scales they have purchased that are reliable and reasonably priced.

Keep up the good work WaistAways!
  • eggfreak
    eggfreak Posts: 681 Member
    Yesterday was crappy eating day. Started out good but then devolved. The problem for me I think is that the bad items are in the cupboard to begin with. I've bought it intending and thinking that I can properly portion and consume but at least a dozen Spekulatius cookies were eaten and a homemade (not by me) almond croissant. I got serious in January - so after the awful holiday season of traditional treats - so this is me encountering it again but trying to hang on to my new eating habits. The will is there, but must follow through. Made one of my stand by soups yesterday - martha stewart's vegetable-bean soup, works out to 162 calories per filling cup. Now to just reach for that instead of.... all that other stuff.
    @Terytha good for you with all that writing - you are one determined person...even if you're describing rocks. :) Enjoy the pancakes and dream of what you'll write about next year.
    @Gidgitgoescrazy I'm with you on the holiday decor; the only thing worse that putting it all up is taking it all down. I try and make it simpler and simpler every year. Google 'alternative christmas tree ideas' - some great fun images :D
  • PlaneMonkey
    PlaneMonkey Posts: 568 Member
    @MissMeaganLyn Steps are not a requirement but lots of team members use the steps challenge as a motivator to be more active so if you want to join in, @micki48 will record your stats and Include you in the weekly goal posts.
  • jugar
    Quick question, are steps a requirement?

Certainly not! But if you want to track exercise and have a little friendly competition, we track not only steps, but other exercise as well. So you might do 4,212 steps and then 30 minutes on the elliptical (for equivalent 150 steps per minute) and 15 minutes of yoga (for 100 steps per minute) and you come up with a day of the equivalent of 10,212 steps. You're more than welcome to join in, but it is surely not required. In your daily "check in" posts you can talk about what exercise you did, how your food situation is going, what works for you, what doesn't, your goals, your questions - all the good stuff. Those are more important than exact step counts any day. Whatever works for you!
  • jugar
    Tuesday is a great day to have our "talk it out" time. There are no weigh-ins on Tuesdays for some odd reason, so it gives us lots of space for other kinds of posts.

Some business first of all -
    @jguldi11 and @Gidgitgoescrazy
    You are both now on the "Support Team" for December. Keep on posting, joining in on the chitchat and discussions, but your weigh-ins do not count for the month. You can still weigh in if you want to, but they will not be counted in the weekly tallies. I hope you'll be back to the regular team for January, but you are welcome to stay on support for as long as you need to.

@PlaneMonkey
    I love the idea of you using the pilots' scale at work - kind of like sneaking into the jockeys' enclosure at the track to use their crazy scales. But there are SO many good scales on the market. I have a kind of generic one from e-tek that was inexpensive and seems to be very accurate as long as the floor is very even. It does nothing but weigh, in English or metric. I'm sure there are many like this on the market, but it seems the brand names change all the time. Makes shopping such an adventure... And the advantage to weighing at home is that you can get up, go pee, and weigh yourself naked if you want. Anything for tiny advantage!

@eggfreak
    Ah, the siren call of the spekulaas and almond croissants. We must have similar taste buds - those are 2 of my favourite (and mostly forbidden!) things. Anything with lots of ginger or almonds is my kryptonite. You cannot control portions, so only buy them when you are up for a binge. Sometimes a single binge on something is OK. The problem is when the stuff is around too often - buy it, log it super accurately (while your face turns all hot and red as you see the resulting number), and don't do it often. In the year it took me to finally get to my goal zone weight, I allowed one free day a week. Every week, Saturday was my "eat whatever you want, no tracking" day. The other 6 days included absolutely no straying from my plan, both for food and exercise. It worked well for me, and I still allow a crazy day from time to time. After a while, they got less crazy anyhow - my tastes and tolerance for stuffing myself changed.

I'm not sure which thing(s) I want to talk out today - there are challenges to choose from!
  • micki48
    @jguldi11 I am hopeful that you soon have really good news to share with us. 😉❤️ Sending good vibes to you.

@Gidgitgoescrazy Wew! I hear you. I also currently have tubs of decorations around my house. It’s almost all done, but not outside. Then I have to haul the boxes back up to the attic up the pull down stairs. I’m sure you could find someone to do it for $$, but who wants a stranger working in your house in covid times? Around here in NC, I did see a company that will decorate outside of your house.

@conleywoods Oh Kristi, to have your amazing energy. A trip to Costco, 3 disasters to clean up and still get in a 🏋️‍♀️?! You are a Mighty Woman. Way to go my friend.

@MissMeaganLyn Just let me know if you’re interested in joining us and your daily goal. But like my friends said, only if you’d like to. Not required. And thanks to @PlaneMonkey and @jugar for answering you so quickly.

@PlaneMonkey My scale is a Weight Watchers scale. It can do pounds or metric to a tenth. Nothing special but works. Can’t remember what I paid for it, but I’m sure it was reasonable. I understand about the water and masks. My daughter is struggling to get enough water too because she doesn’t want to take her mask off at work. Wish I had a solution. Cutting a straw hole in your mask would NOT be a good solution. 😜 Try and hydrate as much as possible at home I guess. Now, I’m off to take a sip myself.

TALK IT OUT TUESDAY

Why are cookies so darn yummy?? My bestie sent me authentic Italian Bakery cookies in the mail yesterday. Can’t get them in the south. My daughter and I devoured them last night. Luckily, it was only a quart size bag! There are actually a few left and I left them at her house. But, not going to beat myself. Grace over guilt.
This discussion has been closed.