WaistAways - December 2020 Team Chat

Options

Replies

• Kali225
    Kali225 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    @conleywoods way to go for getting in weight lifting after all that! I am the same way with shopping, I always think I can zoom around the store and be back in my car in 15-20 min and it is often double that lol.

@eggfreak my vice the last two days was ice cream. It is gone now so the deed is done and I plan on working it off good! I hope that one day I can be at the point where I can buy one or two "bad"/snacky foods and not worry about overdoing it. That portion control magic.... not here yet!

TALK IT OUT TUESDAY
    Love this idea because something has been bugging me a lot haha. I am in a "MyFitnessPal Ladies" group on facebook, someone here on the app recommended I join a few months ago. I rarely use facebook so most of my feed is just this group's posts now. Sometimes it is snack recommendations and success stories and those are great. BUT, when I see people posting about their progress in 2020 or in quarantine, who have lost 30, 40, 50, even 60 (!!) lbs in THIS YEAR I get so annoyed and discouraged. I have been trying to get healthy for 6 years or something and I don't want to waste the rest of my 20s (which are slipping by!) still NOT getting to my goal. When someone else has dropped all they needed to in a matter of literal months, I'm over here like "wow, why couldn't I do that? would have saved a lot of damn time."

And rant over. Deep breath.

Happy December all -- I will also be putting up my minimal Christmas decor around the apartment today. That's a fun task.
  • YinxFed
    YinxFed Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Hello team Waistaways!

I'm Yinka from Worcestershire, UK. I'm 57 years old, married to Ben and have a grown son (who lives in Virginia, USA with his wife) with a small cantankerous little Jack Russell terrier called Edie. I am an online English language teacher and I work from home. I've been with the Waistaways for more than a year (I think?) and I love this community. I have been trying to shift the same 35-40lb for the longest time. I think that I've been at a plateau for months and months. I may have to check out my macros again.

I work out 5 or 6 days a week - every week. My diet's OK, but I need to increase my water intake. I also think that I need to eat more protein - but I don't do shakes.

I've had bouts of anxiety - all mixed up with the current climate of uncertainty that we're all going through - but on the whole, I have managed to maintain an even keel on my mental health. I've recently started daily mediation and that's improved my outlook considerably!

Targets for December are:
    1. Log every day
    2. More than 32oz water daily
    3. Minimum of 7 hours sleep each night
    4. Walk outside 4x a week
    5. Daily check on this page

To all newcomers - you are very welcome here - this is a great group!

@micki48 Can I please stay with the Steppers? My goal is 6000 steps a day.

My missing steps and exercise are:

27th Nov - 2466 / Exercise 30mins Upper Body Strength workout
    28th Nov - 4815 / Exercise 30mins Total Body HIIT Cardio & Abs workout
    29th Nov - 3289
    30th Nov - 4017 / Exercise 27 mins Full Body Mini Resistance band workout
  • EvMakesChanges
    EvMakesChanges Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    @jugar I decided to weigh in a day early because I may be helping a friend back from her surgery today and overnight and, no, I'm not taking the scale with me.
    CW: 187.3 It's moving in the right direction, at least!
    I don't think I introduced myself, yet, so here's a nugget for you all.
    I live in Windsor, Vermont with my 3rd spouse and 3 cats. My younger daughter (35), has moved in with us for the winter and I'm learning how to go from Mom to housemate (with the tango moving around both every so often).
    I was going to college for my "retirement" job but, decided to stop after realizing how unlikely it'd be to get anything else done while studying Anatomy & Physiology. It's really true about a post 60-yr-old brain...it downshifts to other zones compared to twenty-somethings. Taking 3-5 hours per day to get new information crammed in...well, let's just say the stress was too high.
    So, I'm aiming to decrease my portions this month and continue walking and using my indoor mini-eliptical "stepper".
    I'm also going to start doing my tiny habit of wall pushups after peeing. My shoulders bother me less when they're more active.
    Have a great day and night.
  • micki48
    micki48 Posts: 2,253 Member
    Options

@micki48 Can I please stay with the Steppers? My goal is 6000 steps a day.

My missing steps and exercise are:

27th Nov - 2466 / Exercise 30mins Upper Body Strength workout
    28th Nov - 4815 / Exercise 30mins Total Body HIIT Cardio & Abs workout
    29th Nov - 3289
    30th Nov - 4017 / Exercise 27 mins Full Body Mini Resistance band workout[/quote]

ABSOLUTELY!!!!! Got you, Yinka!!

• micki48
    micki48 Posts: 2,253 Member
    Options
    TALK IT OUT TUESDAY
    Love this idea because something has been bugging me a lot haha. I am in a "MyFitnessPal Ladies" group on facebook, someone here on the app recommended I join a few months ago. I rarely use facebook so most of my feed is just this group's posts now. Sometimes it is snack recommendations and success stories and those are great. BUT, when I see people posting about their progress in 2020 or in quarantine, who have lost 30, 40, 50, even 60 (!!) lbs in THIS YEAR I get so annoyed and discouraged. I have been trying to get healthy for 6 years or something and I don't want to waste the rest of my 20s (which are slipping by!) still NOT getting to my goal. When someone else has dropped all they needed to in a matter of literal months, I'm over here like "wow, why couldn't I do that? would have saved a lot of damn time."

@Kali225 I know how you feel. While I am a long way from my 20s (even my daughter has left her 20s), I understand. There are plenty of people my age who have been a higher weight, lost and left me in the dust. I have stayed the same this whole year. I have come to the conclusion that that in itself is a win during this pandemic. I also know that for me personally at this point in my life, I allow myself a whole lot more wiggle room than some people. Meaning, I don't restrict myself all that much. I do what I can live with.

Here's what I think you should know. Losing a lot of weight fast is not necessarily a good thing. When I was 28ish, I lost 50 pounds in 4 months. It rolled off me. I was committed and disciplined with a goal in mind and I was nursing a 2 year old. Once the event that was the trigger for me to lose was over, I wasn't so disciplined. I stayed at my goal for about 5 months and then gradually starting putting the weight back on. I didn't learn how to do this forever. It really has to be a way of life. Something you can do forever. So give yourself a break and know you are learning new things all the time about how to be healthy. Make little changes you can live with. You will get there. I am sure of it! Keep it up. You know what to do. Don't let it get you down.
  • evangsimmons170
    evangsimmons170 Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    @micki48

Here are my steps for 11/30/20.....13,309

@evangsimmons170
  • CurvyCalorie
    CurvyCalorie Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    @micki48
    Steps for Tuesday December 1

• jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,041 Member
    Options
    Kali225 wrote: »
    TALK IT OUT TUESDAY

And rant over. Deep breath.
    This is such a good rant! I talked about losing weight for YEARS before finally getting it done. During all those years, it made me crazy when other people could just lose so much in a few months or in a year, and I never did. It was horrible. But now you are here, getting real! I think we all know what we "should" do, but it is scary to let go of our eating habits and build new ones. It is scary and hard every time you have to start over. Heck, I still get scared after a few days of overeating until the doing takes over from the thinking. Then it isn't so bad. But I did manage to lose 40 pounds in 10 months once I really got stuck into it. And I was over 50! So don't wait as long as I did, OK? And stop listening to those braggarts...
  • jugar
    Options
    My talk it out Tuesday?
    I am a bit fed up with my mornings. I have fallen into the habit of doing almost nothing all morning. I get my exercise and other stuff done in the afternoons and evenings, but there is an awful lot of sitting around reading all morning. I'd much prefer to get back to a productive morning schedule, but it just isn't happening. I don't have a job, kids, concerts to practice for, garden to go out and work in, or much of anything else that kicks me into gear. So far I have not gotten inspired to fix it though...
  • jugar
    Options
    Heads up for Wednesday weigh-ins!

@offitgoes
    @PlaneMonkey
    @AshenMoon
    @coffeetwist
    @evelynladams527 thanks for the early one!
    @KellyBgetsFit
    @KatherineSkylar99

Overdue - do not worry. There are no fines. We're just happy to see you when you get here!
    @ells_runs
    @snakagawa11
    @FFwife925

Thanks!
  • evangsimmons170
    evangsimmons170 Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    @micki48

Here are my steps for 12/1/20....

@evangsimmons170
  • CurvyCalorie
    CurvyCalorie Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    @conleywoods I hear ya! Planners are key - use them! Hahaha I mean it’s her job! That is driving me crazy just reading about it. Haha

@MandiSaysHey All the positive thoughts heading your way! I hope you get the best scenario possible!

@spyro88 Welcome back. Nice to meet you!

• PlaneMonkey
    PlaneMonkey Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Planemonkey
    PW 214.6
    CW 213.8
    LTD 30.2LBS

last night I finally ordered a new scale on Amazon and it should arrive next week, and this morning my current scale actually matched my work scale exactly. I think it's mocking me now that I've purchased its replacement......

I'm like @SMcFall0215, I read all of the posts everyday but just tend not to reply as much. I definitely love reading everyone's thoughts. I find everyone's ability to exercise so inspiring, just hoping it will eventually get me up off the couch. Now that the evenings are dark, we have gone into hibernation mode and hubby falls asleep on the couch pretty quickly after dinner so this leaves me scrolling on my phone in the dark until bedtime. Gonna have to get off my butt more and do things. ANYTHING!! I believe the expression is: Sitting is the new Smoking. Too much sitting is bad. And I might be transferring to a desk job in the new year so that will make moving in the evenings even more important.

OK, off to work. Happy Wednesday everyone.
    (don't hit the Done button!)
This discussion has been closed.