Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    are these "crust-less" versions?

Yes. I don't put them in a crust; just eggs, cream cheese, herbs and spices, and whatever meat/veggie/cheese combo I can come up with.

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,925 Member
    Options
    I... almost want the recipe--except the cream cheese part is a bit scary!

Back in the "single guy" world.... I nuked a lean cuisine Ravioli Florentine (300 Cal)... and popped the contents in a bowl of yesterday made and logged pumpkin soup (after licking most of the sauce off the ravioli first darn it!)

YUMMIES! :lol:

<no, no: there is no SOS flag being raised here... all is well!>
    AlexandraFindsHerself1971 Posts: 3,106 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    I daresay you can do it without the cream cheese, or use the lower fat version.

The base is five eggs beaten with one block of cream cheese. (That makes a pie plate. Double it for a 9 x 13 pan.) Then herbs and spices to taste, and about 3 cups of fillings, usually evenly split in mine between cooked meat, vegetables, and shredded cheese. (Again, double for a 9 x 13 pan.)

I have done everything from a straightforward bacon, spinach, mushroom blend to one that is chicken bacon ranch swiss. (Ranch flavor is achieved with a blend of herbs from Penzeys for making buttermilk dressing, and powdered buttermilk mixed in.) We have a rotation of nine variations, which I can post if desired.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,925 Member
    Options
    Well I have the 12% goat cheese which is 60Cal per 30g... and it's pretty creamy... so I wonder. hmmmm..... Do you think it is worth the calories? If yes... why not make it a LL recipe post?!?!? :smile:
  • Janatki
    Janatki Posts: 730 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Oo @PAV8888 I think I’d make a veg sauce with onions garlic, courgettes, aubergines and tinned tomatoes and add the goat’s cheese with basil and oregano!
    Have some old smelly blue stilton here and going to crumble it over and roast some butternut squash! Simples here today!
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,730 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how it's all going to play out today but I have maybe 20 people coming to the backyard for a Thanksgiving feast... It's Thanksgiving weekend in Canada... It's half potluck - half me providing dinner - I think it'll be a couple of rainbows worth of food.

I am blessed with friends that are willing to respect my vegetarian tendencies - so they'll be bringing vegetarian dishes...which for many meat eaters leaves them with nothing they could possibly bring other than dessert.

Today is not going to be a calorie counting kind of day.

I can give thanks that there is some time during this week to compensate 🙂
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    Happy Thanksgiving to all of my Canadian friends!

Laurie, I hope you have a wonderful day with your friends!…eat, drink and be merry!
    Options
    Today has been, so far, making small packets of Mexican rice and (currently cooking) wild rice pilaf. I also made Eldest Son four breakfast sandwiches of toasted English Muffins, sausage patties, and scrambled eggs. (I found a muffin top pan that makes perfect thin rounds of scrambled egg to go on the sandwiches.) I also need to make my girlfriend some triple meat personal pizzas on flatbread.

• conniewilkins56
    Options
    My husband loves quiche but me not so much….it tastes so “ eggy “

Tonight is turkey kielbasa loaded with too much sodium, baked potatoes with light sour cream and chives, and green beans….nothing will be touching, thank goodness….I don’t want anything complicated tonight or messy looking!
    AlexandraFindsHerself1971 Posts: 3,106 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Thank you! I'm glad you have made a thing that is tasty!

Quichecakes are an excellent way to use up random bits of this and that in your fridge.
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,730 Member
    Options
    I had such a wonderful Thanksgiving!!! It felt so amazing this year after this past year and a half. We're all being careful still... But it felt so good to get together with friends and family.

I would be inclined to call that a frittata??? It looks delicious PAV. I would have never thought to include bagged kale salad - but that is a brilliantly KISS approach!

I'm going to have a lot of compensating to do this week... Going to pickup some kale-slaw!
  • Janatki
    Janatki Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Cauli base pizza tonight! Might become an alternative base!
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    We cleaned the entire morning….house looks great!…then I made potato salad,tossed salad,cleaned grapes, green beans, and some other veggies and baked muffins for the rest of the gang….I am having a beautiful Greek Salad for dinner……lots of salad lol, feta cheese, beets and I made my own lighter potato salad to put in it….yummy….dessert is coffee and thin biscotti….snack is an ounce of very sharp white cheddar, almonds and an apple…..
  • NerdyScienceGrl
    NerdyScienceGrl Posts: 669 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Last night I dug into the cupboards to make a pot of soup for the tonight and tomorrow night’s dinner. I put together the base for hot and sour soup, rehydrated shiitake mushrooms, dried lily flower, a can of bamboo shoots with a cubed up brick of extra firm tofu quickly pan fried in sesame oil and sliced brown mushrooms, topped with green onion and black pepper. Not the prettiest bowl of soup but has really great flavor and only 300 calories for a giant very filling bowl.

Cold mornings are making me want hearty, hot dinners. While not generally a huge soup/chili fan, I’ve been thinking about white beans and pumpkin a lot for some reason. 🤷‍♀️ So, I found a recipe for white bean, Turkey, pumpkin chili - all things I have in the house too, so big win!

https://www.skinnytaste.com/crockpot-turkey-white-bean-pumpkin/

I’m not great at following recipes and just looking at the ingredients, I foresee cooking the ground Turkey with red onion, garlic and seasoning. And pumpkin without cinnamon or nutmeg? Idk. But, love that it’s an instapot adaptable recipe.
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 4,134 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Last night I dug into the cupboards to make a pot of soup for the tonight and tomorrow night’s dinner. I put together the base for hot and sour soup, rehydrated shiitake mushrooms, dried lily flower, a can of bamboo shoots with a cubed up brick of extra firm tofu quickly pan fried in sesame oil and sliced brown mushrooms, topped with green onion and black pepper. Not the prettiest bowl of soup but has really great flavor and only 300 calories for a giant very filling bowl.

Cold mornings are making me want hearty, hot dinners. While not generally a huge soup/chili fan, I’ve been thinking about white beans and pumpkin a lot for some reason. 🤷‍♀️ So, I found a recipe for white bean, Turkey, pumpkin chili - all things I have in the house too, so big win!

I’m not great at following recipes and just looking at the ingredients, I foresee cooking the ground Turkey with red onion, garlic and seasoning. And pumpkin without cinnamon or nutmeg? Idk. But, love that it’s an instapot adaptable recipe.

An inspiring post! Your soup sounds delicious! The cold mornings here have put me in exactly the same frame of mind - it's weather for porridge, hearty soups and stews. Today I'm making a big pan of mixed vegetable soup, and also making 6 jars of chilli jam ready for Christmas. With the chilli jam turning my thoughts to Christmas (in October!) I'm also making mincemeat, spicy red cabbage and our special Christmas gravy. The latter two will both be frozen ready for Christmas day.

tlkdao24fdcd.png

These are the 4 recipes I'll be loosely following:
    https://www.nigella.com/recipes/chilli-jam
    https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/traditional-mincemeat
    https://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/collections/life-in-the-freezer/traditional-braised-red-cabbage-with-apples
    https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/chicken-recipes/get-ahead-gravy/

The gravy is a thing of beauty and deliciousness. It can be made months in advance (obvs!) because it freezes really well, and gives you one less thing to worry about on Christmas Day.

Like you I'm hopeless at following recipes - I don't like to be constrained to someone else's paint-by-numbers recipe - I always like to make at least a tweak or two. Cooking should allow you to unleash your creativity and let your imagination soar. But anything that's adaptable to the Instant Pot is a winner for me!
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 4,134 Member
    Options
    Oooh yum @PineappleAltz, that sounds delicious! Can't beat homemade soup!

Are you in the UK?
  • NerdyScienceGrl
    NerdyScienceGrl Posts: 669 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options

An inspiring post! Your soup sounds delicious! The cold mornings here have put me in exactly the same frame of mind - it's weather for porridge, hearty soups and stews. Today I'm making a big pan of mixed vegetable soup, and also making 6 jars of chilli jam ready for Christmas. With the chilli jam turning my thoughts to Christmas (in October!) I'm also making mincemeat, spicy red cabbage and our special Christmas gravy. The latter two will both be frozen ready for Christmas day.

tlkdao24fdcd.png

These are the 4 recipes I'll be loosely following:
    https://www.nigella.com/recipes/chilli-jam
    https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/traditional-mincemeat
    https://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/collections/life-in-the-freezer/traditional-braised-red-cabbage-with-apples
    https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/chicken-recipes/get-ahead-gravy/

The gravy is a thing of beauty and deliciousness. It can be made months in advance (obvs!) because it freezes really well, and gives you one less thing to worry about on Christmas Day.

Like you I'm hopeless at following recipes - I don't like to be constrained to someone else's paint-by-numbers recipe - I always like to make at least a tweak or two. Cooking should allow you to unleash your creativity and let your imagination soar. But anything that's adaptable to the Instant Pot is a winner for me!

Those recipes look delicious! Inspiring for sure. I’ve never heard of chili jam - like the one you posted - but may have to give it a try. I recently picked up some chicken and herb sausages that might need red cabbage served with them. I’ve been looking for an instapot recipe to make braised red cabbage. I’ve never made it before but loooooooove it when someone else does.

I can’t imagine life without my instapot. I love that I don’t have to dirty a bunch of dishes or lose flavor by transferring ingredients from one pot to another. I was skeptical at first but bought it anyway. Now, I can’t imagine life without. One of my favorite go-to fall and winter dinners is split pea soup — within 30 minutes, soups prepped, cooked and served instead of a day on the stove/crockpot.