Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,817 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Mmmmm toad and a huge mound of rainbow veggies for dinner tonight. A rare treat. Five hours until dinner and I'm already looking forward to it!

Nom nom nom...
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    Athijade wrote: »

Dinner tonight is the highly liked Chinese barbecued pork ribs (char sui) with fried rice, vegetable lo mein (for Son) and crab rangoons for Boyfriend and Girlfriend. This is a big ask, and I'll start cooking about two hours before dinner.

That sounds amazing! Can I come for dinner? LOL

Next time I do it I'll add extra meat and DM you. I think you are in fact actually local, lol.

The main time-waster in this is that once the meat gets cooked it needs to get basted and turned as the sauce bakes into that lovely gooey outside coating. Worth the time, but it gets boring going in and rebasting every ten minutes. Still, what else was I doing, you know? (grin)
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,840 Member
    Options
    TOAD? 🐸🐸🐸?
  • Bella_Figura
    Options
    Toad in the hole.

Comfort food of the highest order.

m8ep12fw9e7d.png
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    That “Toad in the Hole” looks interesting but I think it has eggs in it?….

My grandaughter went to the produce market and fish market this morning….of course she got a fresh baked croissant filled with dark chocolate oozing out of it….I bought lots of fruits and vegetables and Amish oatmeal and chocolate chip cookies….I bought two stuffed flounder for my dinner and they were so good with a little lemon juice and a teaspoon of butter melted on them….I also steamed fresh broccoli and some tiny honey gold potatoes….it was all so good!
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Veggie Boca burgers with salad for lunch. I think supper will be a frozen lo-cal meal with extra veggies. Maybe some popcorn later. Friend gave me a box of tasty chocolates from her trip home to Belgium. Must try at least one or two!
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,632 Member
    Options
    Everything sounds so delicious!
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Making a simple fried rice today to clean some stuff out of the freezer. So a package of frozen rice, some cauliflower rice, some mixed veggies, and some broccoli. I may add shrimp cause I have like 1/4 of a bag left in there as well. We will see how I am feeling.
  • Bella_Figura
    Options
    That “Toad in the Hole” looks interesting but I think it has eggs in it?….

Yes, but you can make an egg-free batter.

• Yoolypr
    Options
    ui09m0cj2q8r.jpeg

This is what is considered toad in the hole in the US. Kind of breakfast toast often for children. No batter or sausages involved.
  • Bella_Figura
    Options
    So not something you'd eat with onion gravy and veggies then? The US version looks interesting but the UK version is pure comfort on a plate. That said, if that's an egg, egg and strawberries don't strike me as a particularly palatable combination...
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Nope - no gravies or veggies. I don’t believe I’ve ever see the authentic Brit version. May be available in a British restaurant but those are very rare. The only one we had in town closed during the pandemic. The toast, egg thing is made at home to entice kiddies to eat breakfast. Not a restaurant item either. I’ll have to find a recipe for real toad in the hole for hubby because he’s still on his sausage cooking kick.
  • Bella_Figura
    Options
    It's the simplest dish to make - I'll put the recipe in the recipe thread....
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    I will pass on every kind of Toad in the Hole!….

Dinner tonight is fresh corn on the cob, green beans and tiny new potatoes with a little diced onion and ham mixed in!….maybe some sliced tomatoes and I have watermelon for dessert!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,632 Member
    Options
    Why am I wanting American toads ?????
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Actually I probably really want the British one but it looks too involved for my current state
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Yesterday was weird!

Used beet noodles and for sauce just used some pre made butter chicken sauce! Plus didn't have anything else handy... so hard boiled egg for protein, WTF????

Under 700 cal dinner and filling and.... weird: 300g frozen spiral beets, 400g "blue menu" sauce, 115g eggs.

Cook time: "hours" to boil eggs and have them in fridge, "years" to peal, and 7 minutes start to finish field to table to nuke it all and start eating! 🤷🏻‍♂️😹
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    Tonight we had pork pieces in a ginger-orange sauce over rice and it was really good. I think I'll add a little red pepper next time to amp the heat up a bit.

Lunch was pulled pork sandwiches, which is easy to do when I get home tired and overstimulated from the store.
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Another salad, another day ... I have only 1300 calories to play with. I usually have a 200-300 calorie breakfast. Lunch is the biggest meal 400-500 calories. Doesn’t leave much for supper and a small snack later. Even salads add up when you try to add a little protein. My exercise calories at this time are negligible so I don’t count them.
  • PAV8888
    edited October 2021
    Options
    I am.... sunk! :anguished:

Downstairs attack by a wielder of TWO slices of this bundle of "healthy" (except for the quantity issue) ingredients!

ldbltvpv4qwv.jpg

btro1mchakqb.jpg