Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,634 Member
    Options
    and good tasting, a bit expensive for root veggies at CAD8/kg, but not if we pretend they were regular veggies.... all shaped into fries, some seasoning and oil embedded obviously, but they were definitely good (parchment paper, 400F) and relatively easy cleanup
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Oh Alexandra.... garlic bread 🙀😹😘
  • PAV8888
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Hey: this little puppy comes in at 2671 Cal :anguished: ... but that's for 3080g! :wink:

It could have been a bit LOT thicker for sure. Nope... didn't add oil, though I did use farmer's sausage!

A sauce for some... a stew for others... I am sure I could even turn it into a soup if I wanted!

So far I've eaten it as a stew!

Just fresh onions, farmer's sausage, couldn't find garlic or garlic powder so skipped, cute as a button mini baby frozen peas, baby potatoes, can of whole tomatoes, jar of spaghetti sauce, and some tomato paste

d7v8pexbdbzn.jpg
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    Wow - that looks wonderful! Maybe a few hot pepper flakes? Question- what is farmers sausage? Like a type of smoked sausage perhaps.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Oh absolutely some pepper flakes... but dad might have some and I have to be nice to him, right?!?! :wink: I believe that it is smoked (well it sure is) but uncooked.... https://www.drakemeats.com/shop/sausage/farmer-sausage/garlic-farmer-sausage.

Yesterday I had the above as is. Today I had it on top of riced veggies california blend. I would gladly send a link if the store that house labelled them and sold them.... had a picture or mention anywhere... must be too new, or a trial item?!
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Thanks! Farmers sausage sounds close to a type of Czech garlic sausage sold here locally. I think California blend veggies are cauliflower, broccoli, and carrots? Good to have the frozen version on hand.
    I have made riced veggies from fresh using the food processor. I process, part cook, and freeze in batches. It’s a chore but a half day of prep yields a nice amount of grab and go veggies.
    Have you thought of cumin in the stew? You can add that individually too.
  • PAV8888
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Nope but it would go really well with my setup now that you mention it! I stayed "italian": garlic, onion, basil. Though I suppose I could have added oregano too!!!

I think... let me get the bag and take a pic.... :wink: UGH and I just realized that I screwed up when buying and got extra veggie fries instead of extra veggie rice (I thought I was buying 3 and 3 and I got 1 rice and 5 fries instead... grabbed from the shelf without looking :disappointed: )

OK here are the pics of the riced veggies and the fries. Of course ricing myself might be awesome (might because they've done an excellent job both in terms of the size of the pieces, but also in terms of achieving that remain nicely hard and chewy (definitely al dente) and only shed a miniscule amount of water!)

8u0cp0tskdss.jpg
    tk74o50wh7py.jpg

qypt1mcwdbg2.jpg
    xj6sdsbthkg5.jpg
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Presidents Choice - assuming it’s a Walmart/ Sams Club product? Love the French/English! I’ll check it out. Thanks.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Made these honey mustard pretzel crusted chicken breasts I got at Target... not good. The chicken was rubbery and the flavor was nothing like honey mustard OR pretzel. I forced myself to eat the one last night, but I am not sure I can force myself to have more. So I need to figure out what to have for dinner tonight and tomorrow. I do have leftover asparagus (canned) and smashed roasted potatoes for tonight, but need some protein. Tomorrow I may just do a frozen meal like chicken pot pie or palak paneer with rice.
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,632 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    ... pics of the riced veggies and the fries ... they've done an excellent job both in terms of the size of the pieces, but also in terms of achieving that remain nicely hard and chewy (definitely al dente) and only shed a miniscule amount of water!...

wow - this is very exciting!!!

• PAV8888
    Options
    The bad news first: Loblaws is probably Canada's largest grocery chain. Their lower end house brand is "no-name" and their higher end one is "President's Choice". Similar to Walmart here having both "great value" and "our finest" products.🤔

The good news is that these are probably made by someone for them and I wouldn't be surprised to find green giant, or what have you, offering similar.🤞

Bilingual labels and packaging is a major part of selling in Canada if you are following regulations. 🤷🏻‍♂️
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Thanks for the information. I’ll look around. I’m sure there’s something similar out there.
    The French labeling is familiar. I lived a few miles from the New Brunswick Canadian border for three years and often went across for shopping. Sesame Street in French for the kiddies! So a fond reminder.
    Our labeling in Texas is English and Spanish which is helpful for the many interesting Mexican foods on our shelves. Oh - there’s a Mexican stew called picadillo with similar potato tomato base made with ground beef. Might be a bit spicy for dad though.
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Athijade wrote: »
    So I need to figure out what to have for dinner tonight and tomorrow. I do have leftover asparagus (canned) and smashed roasted potatoes for tonight, but need some protein. Tomorrow I may just do a frozen meal like chicken pot pie or palak paneer with rice.

How about eggs? Or beans, lentils? Some cheese perhaps?
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    Lean burgers on buns and salad here….that’s all I can manage today……Shingles are killing me!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    I'm thinking some randomly made home burgers🙀 and the veggie fries from the previous pictures.... maybe an egg on top of the burger?

Not decided yet. Depends on outcome of next few hours.
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    I'm thinking some randomly made home burgers🙀 and the veggie fries from the previous pictures.... maybe an egg on top of the burger?

Not decided yet. Depends on outcome of next few hours.

Eggs do not belong on burgers….why ruin a great burger?
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Both IN and ON😹
  • PAV8888
    edited November 2021
    Options
    But neither🙀😹

(ok maybe just IN; but how would you be able to tell if I do not admit?????)

2o80jlxhkyy5.jpg

limwctc03bc5.jpg

Texas muffin cups have 201g of randomly constructed mix each (so 7.09oz!!!!)

The baking sheet with the veggie fries has 30g (just over 1oz) "meat balls"😹

No idea if the thing is edible! May need to bring the puppy over for cleanup on aisle 3!!!!

😘 Connie😝

• conniewilkins56
    Options
    What is that!???