Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,633 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Pffft.... if you combine Pea-likes with Meat-likes you get "nutrition-maybe-likes"... and they don't taste half terrible!

(sliced a meat-like from yesterday and placed it under the pea/potato/snausage/tomato mix-y thingy from the day before... sprinkled some 21g of sawdust aka Kraft parmesan as a condiment on top!) :lol:

Happy puppy times here!

Oh, re: good working knee report? Sorry, we're out for now! :hushed:

uhcq5k9vlfx6.jpg
  • PAV8888
    Options
    I bet your 100% by Alexandra bread is WAY better than half and half, so hopefully you'll manage tomorrow!
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    Turkey Kielbasa, roasted sweet potatoes and white potatoes, steamed cauliflower with very little cheese and a salad!….
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    sprinkled some 21g of sawdust aka Kraft parmesan as a condiment on top!)

The second ingredient in Kraft grated Parmesan is cellulose powder. So yes, it is sawdust. My Sicilian hubby does not allow that in the house! You could buy a small chunk of real Parmesan cheese - it goes a long way when grated and lasts forever in the fridge. We have had a Zyzliss grater ($20) for years but a simple plane grater is good too. Seriously, the taste difference is worth the effort.
  • Janatki
    Janatki Posts: 730 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    [/quote]
    The second ingredient in Kraft grated Parmesan is cellulose powder. So yes, it is sawdust. My Sicilian hubby does not allow that in the house! You could buy a small chunk of real Parmesan cheese - it goes a long way when grated and lasts forever in the fridge. We have had a Zyzliss grater ($20) for years but a simple plane grater is good too. Seriously, the taste difference is worth the effort. [/quote]

So true! The bought grated stuff is just no good!

• PAV8888
    Options
    My preference would have been pecorino romano but I/we usually use saputo parmesan petals due to being easy to find and good enough.

But the house supply is frozen and I had forgotten to take some out to thaw. And dad bought the sawdust long enough ago that thoughts of expiry are entering its consciousness. So I opened it.

It's just as bad as I remember it to be!
  • Janatki
    Janatki Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Veg Tikka Masala here… house smells lovely ….aromas of ground spices, ginger and garlic… Eyes streaming from grating masses of onions 😂😅😂🤣🥲😜
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Roast pork (3oz) and a salad. Very satiating. A little unsweetened applesauce with cinnamon for dessert.
  • PAV8888
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Need ideas on how to do something with a meatlike! I have lots of them left to consume! :hushed:

Jan... I think you've come to the rescue... (or added another nail to the enterprise :lol: ).... hmmm.... i have some ready made indian stuff I can crumble some meatlike in them!!! :lol:

I'll now run back to my corner and hide. @Yoolypr I know I am probably driving you to despair, and I don't even WANT to (now my friend Connie is a totally different issue! I am actually just waiting to pounce the day she mixes her food!!!!) How did the Connie Café dinner go, or is that tomorrow?
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    No need to hide! You’re creative enough to make something tasty and worth the calories.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Good attempt at reverse psychology @Yoolypr ....
    ALMOST worked :love:
    BUT
    no nope niet nada :naughty:
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Good attempt at reverse psychology @Yoolypr ....
    ALMOST worked :love:
    BUT
    no nope niet nada :naughty:

I’m old enough to be your mother so it was worth a shot.
  • PAV8888
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Tenda basmati rice (pre-cooked by Catelli, I think there is a horror store in there somewhere).
    180 Cal for a miniscule 100g cooked / warmed up portion, two of them per microwavable pack.
    The *kittens* are using some sort of oil to make sure it doesn't stick... which increases the calories!

Dad got half the package (180) plus 320 Cal worth of dal makhani. He was the one who requested the dal, don't blame me!!!

I got the other half pack and a meatlike which rings in at 360 Cal which is way too hight for the satiation it provides! Smothered it under 430 Cal of Shahi paneer as sauce and flavour management!

Hmmm... maybe I'll go double check the meatlike recipe, the hamster calculator has become a bit more reliable over the years and the meatlikes are not performing anywhere near their caloric weight!!!

---Skulks away with tail low given his non response to well meaning prompts for food choice improvements!--

Three meatlikes left in the fridge :anguished:
  • TheKookyKiwi
    TheKookyKiwi Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hi Team - Am new to this group so skim reading the last few posts.
    LOTS of lovely looking recipe idea's here!
    I'm eating out tonight so happy to share that last night I made Smoked Chicken Strips on a Summer Salad. Nothing too fancy but yummeh as all getout :smile: The boys all had seconds - Me, I stuck to my correct portion. WIN :smiley:
  • PAV8888
    edited November 2021
    Options
    @Yoolypr just caught your post about a "novel" chili! Is this the vehicle where I could bury the meatlikes?!?!

My other idea so far would be to use some (lower cal, 360 Cal per 400ml jar) butter chicken sauce I have.
    Yoolypr wrote: »
    I’m old enough to be your mother so it was worth a shot.
    Pretty young and good looking mom if you ask me :wink: but hey: I'll take all the help I can get! :smiley::love:
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    x7w6sl8yumpd.jpeg

You can definitely bury the meatlikes in the chili because you brown the ground beef first. So skip that step. It freezes well too because the add ons are on the side.
    Flattery will get you nowhere. Trust me I AM way old enough to be your mother.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    Dinner is being served in “Connies Cafe “ tonight!….chilled fresh boiled shrimp, air fryer baked potatoes with sea salt, steamed cauliflower and salad….dessert is coffee and fiber one cookie or thin biscotti!…all served on my mamas china and Rod Stewart’s oldies CD….
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Now that sounds awesome Connie! Good plan!
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    So all you peeps who substitute spiralised veg for good, wholesome durum wheat pasta...can you really tell me spiralised courgette or spaghetti squash or other such abomination really tastes as good? Or even half as good?

I have the same visceral aversion to riced cauliflower etc.....what's wrong with plain and simple basmati?

I know you get a lot of bang for your calorie buck, but these veggie substitutions really doesn't sound appetising to me (and would downright horrify my husband). I try very hard to avoid eating anything unpalatable just because it's good for me - sometimes you need to take the calorie hit!