Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 4,082 Member
    Options
    Love a bit of rocket. I think you folks call it arugula.

And Victoria sponge is indeed a delicious cake!
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,938 Member
    Options
    I love rocket!
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    I wonder if I could tolerate arugula. I like spinach on a pizza but it's easy to get too much on and then I suffer the consequences.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,846 Member
    Options
    Rocket is great value in terms of bulk and taste for calories! Not as much when it comes to $'s where it's closer to rocket fuel :wink: Alexandra... I would tread carefully though it is surprising how light dried arugula really is!

Bella... I think a maintenance goal makes sense and I think you will surprise yourself and still find yourself lighter at the end of it. Wow. That's a roller-coaster of emotions. I virtually join you for that glass.

OK. On a happier note... I am off to look up Victoria sponge! My FOMO is asking WHY HAVE I NOT HAD THIS YET?!?!?!?! :lol:
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 4,082 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you've eaten plenty of Victoria Sponges in your time, but you probably just call them something different across the pond. It's just a classic sponge sandwiched with strawberry jam and some form of cream (either fresh cream or butter cream).
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Bavarian cream...... 🐹

WHACK

Got that sucker! 😹
  • TheKookyKiwi
    TheKookyKiwi Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Made my own toasted muesli last night - And enjoying my first breakfast of it now!

Works out to be the same KJ per serving as the store bought one so good there.

My version tastes less sweet than the purchased one, which is good considering I usually eat it with Vanilla Bean yoghurt (which is sweet enough on it's own), and I'm enjoying the crunchiness of my particular blend of seeds and nuts.

ulxvzcjy1wvj.jpg
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    Went to the store, slapped some pulled pork on a bun and ate it, because that's about what I can handle after the store trip.

Tonight will be General Tso's Pork, with rice and veggies. Easy enough with the pork bits pre-fried.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Boy (or rather GIRL) you two with home made muesli and cheese making farm to table operation and multiple pork preparation short order kitchen! Err... I have frozen dinners in the freezer! :lol:
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,702 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Bavarian cream...... 🐹

WHACK

Got that sucker! 😹

17a2dj2adsln.jpg
  • TheKookyKiwi
    Options
    Boy (or rather GIRL) you two with home made muesli and cheese making farm to table operation and multiple pork preparation short order kitchen! Err... I have frozen dinners in the freezer! :lol:

You too can make the toasted Muesli Pav! ;) It was actually deceptively easy! I'm happy to share my recipe and notes if you feel like giving it a go..
  • PAV8888
    Options
    You too can make the toasted Muesli Pav! ;) It was actually deceptively easy! I'm happy to share my recipe and notes if you feel like giving it a go..

I too made my own home made butter chicken with rice... and home made peas in (blue menu/reduced fat) butter chicken sauce... u-huh (exactly: I wouldn't believe me either!)... and yeah... it took 14* minutes in the microwave and I had to use scissors!!! :lol:

*that would be for two people! For one person, or with two microwaves it would have taken 8... just saying!
  • TheKookyKiwi
    Options
    I too made my own home made butter chicken ... it took 14* minutes in the microwave

There are times when I really miss having a microwave! So many cool microwave meal options these days..

• PAV8888
    Options
    There are times when I really miss having a microwave! So many cool microwave meal options these days..

I admit to the convenience and that often they are more than good enough, at least for me. But let's not go over-board here! Yes, they are sooooooooooooooo much better than "my first microwave tv dinner". But home made muesli has them beat for taste, quality, and nutrition! By a landslide and a bit! :wink:
  • PAV8888
    edited November 2021
    Options
    And Ms Kiwi... still waiting for my Camembert in the mail!!! :wink:
  • TheKookyKiwi
    Options
    And Ms Kiwi... still waiting for my Camembert in the mail!!! :wink:

Hehe.. It might be a bit more like a stinky old Limburger by the time it reaches you! Best you come visit NZ sometime :smiley:
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,702 Member
    Options
    Wow!

How you holding out in the great flood, PAV?
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Wow, and double triple wow! Fingers crossed for you that after making them you don't even want to look at them because.... well, I sure DO want to "look" at them❣️😇 and I wouldn't want to be that close to so many calories🐹!

Hey Laurie, thanks for asking. Dog and place are about 50km from the closest flooding so fairly safe and on a hill! And as you may have noticed I'm with the parental unit in neighboring Alberta so no direct personal worries so far.
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,938 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Now I want all the cheeses! I could not be trusted in the vicinity of that much deliciousness.

Kiwi - whatever happened to Annabelle Langbein? We used to get her cooking shows on our PBS station several years ago. Love the orange lightning cake. Dump it all in the blender and good to go! Can’t find her cookbooks locally although maybe on Amazon.