Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options

As a rule, I'm not a fan of perfumey flavours (so I'm not a fan of cardamom or Campari or earl grey tea, or lavender sugar or parma violets/violet creams). But, strangely, I do like rose turkish delight.

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,777 Member
    Options

Cilantro has a gene. I admit that I actually enjoy the pink Turkish delights. The big Turk candy bar not as much🤷🏻‍♂️😹

• PAV8888
    Options

You ladies are putting me to shame as all my Indian stuff is eating out or pre made!

• Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,916 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    I think my initial forays into Indian food will be frozen or the restaurant (if it’s still open). Then I’ll venture into the recipe sites.
    Wouldn’t know where to get Turkish delight or a Big Turk candy. Maybe Houston if I get the urge to make a 6 hour round trip 🚗
  • TheKookyKiwi
    TheKookyKiwi Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    As a rule, I'm not a fan of perfumey flavours (so I'm not a fan of cardamom or Campari or earl grey tea, or lavender sugar or parma violets/violet creams). But, strangely, I do like rose turkish delight.

Where I used to live the green grocers used to make several flavours of Turkish Delight. My favourite was the Hazelnut one (never did like the rose or overly sickly sweet flavours).
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Lemon turkish delight is my favourite, but I also like pistachio flavour.

PAV, nothing wrong with pre-made or restaurant Indian food, but it's so much fun to experiment with flavours and dishes at home. I love to tweak and add/subtract until the dish tastes perfect. Plus, when you make your own spice blends using a pestle and mortar, they taste so much better than the commercially available blends.

I was lucky, though - my best friend in high school was from Northern India, and her mom and aunts would whip up the most amazing dishes on their little stove, cooking absolutely everything from scratch. I loved their creations, and they encouraged me to experiment.

If you want to fall in love with the whole Indian food experience you should watch the movie The Lunch Box - it's a little slice of perfection!

https://youtube.com/watch?v=sK3R0rvnlPs
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Hey @Bella_Figura the one thing not in short supply in the Greater Vancouver Regional District is.... ethnic restaurants (and for that matter ethnic grocery stores if you lean that way), especially when the ethnicity in question is a large and growing percentage of our total population!
  • Janatki
    Janatki Posts: 730 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Oh Bella! So right … love that film!
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,681 Member
    Options
    I love that film, too!!!

I just figured that I can come on here and use dictation... Woohoo... I'm going to find a different way to kind of log my food for a while I'm so frustrated not being able to use my fingers on the keyboard and dictation won't work when it comes to searching the database.

But I've been doing this long enough I can guesstimate how many calories I'm getting if it's off it means that I'm deliberately being obtuse?

• lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,681 Member
    Options
    For dinner I'm having breakfast daal 🙂 made from scratch 😁 it's a little easy on the spice front with pumpkin and spinach. Until this batch I always used what I kind of thought of as "weird" pumpkin not the orange kind that we have everywhere here in the fall for Jack O'Lanterns or pies. This batch is made with the little orange pie pumpkins and it's a little bit sweeter but delicious
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Loved that film too! I need to see it again for cooking inspiration.

PAV - fell in love with Vancouver. We visited there two years ago just before the pandemic hit. Granville Island, the crazy steam clock, the restaurants! Hoping to go again once the travel is a bit easier. And soooo much cooler in October than Austin, Texas. Should have checked out the Indian restaurants instead of looking for poutine.
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    Tacos tonight, hard for Boyfriend and I, soft for Girlfriend, and Son, who does not like Mexican, is going to get takeout, probably McDonalds.
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Turkey burger patty, cauliflower rice and salad. Meh dinner but we need to work on clearing out the freezer. Too many odds and ends but not enough for two. So it’s whatever works in my calorie budget.
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    Yoolypr wrote: »
    Turkey burger patty, cauliflower rice and salad. Meh dinner but we need to work on clearing out the freezer. Too many odds and ends but not enough for two. So it’s whatever works in my calorie budget.

I keep reminding myself that the reason there is NO ROOM in my large upright freezer is that there's an 18 pound frozen turkey in there taking up half the bread-and-baked-goods space.
  • PAV8888
    edited November 2021
    Options
    lndncfalaa5q.jpg

I kept hearing this Thanksgiving word. And my little pre-made turkey roast had already spent a few too many days in the fridge. So maybe I went a bit overboard and had an Intra Thanksgiving Thanksgiving since Canucks gave thanks the second Monday of October!!!

Mind you everything was prepared in a 1 hour and 10 minute span! Including the failed cranberry sauce using fresh cranberries and sucralose where I made the mistake of adding half a lemon 🤷🏻‍♂️

I guess it would help if I started with a menu or something beyond a vague plan 😹.

Wuz good. Dad's "he added 15g real butter detection array so I'm going to decide the food tastes good' was in full force!😂

I'm sure I'll hear about my missing yellows, greens, and blues! 😹

I almost added some nuked green beans.... but it was more than enough food. And yes.... the whole thing is gone!!!!! 600g roast, 600g carrots, 280g potatoes, 790g yam, and 15g butter 🙀🤯
  • Janatki
    Janatki Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Looks delicious @Pav8888 and I wouldn’t have added green! Supper was a cheese sandwich with onion for me as my son and his GF sent some of their amazing spiced apple chutney and I just had to try it! Not sure the OH appreciated sarnies for his tea, but I coupled it with oven baked fries , spritzed with olive oil and fresh rosemary (only herb to hand in the garden) and made a big raanbow salad. The apple chutney was the star!
  • Yoolypr
    Options

PAV8888 wrote: »

Including the failed cranberry

It’s better with a whole orange. Chop bag of fresh frozen cranberries with the zest and pulp of a large sweet orange 🍊. Add sugar substitute to taste. The ratio is usually 1/2 to 3/4 cup sugar. For more tartness add the zest and pulp of a lemon too. Just don’t use any seeds or pith.
    Keeps in the fridge for weeks. Gets better with a little time.
    Hubby likes this over vanilla ice cream, on oatmeal, or just plain for dessert.
  • PAV8888
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Interesting. Orange would have been smart. I used two bags of previously fresh cranberries that had been sitting in the fridge for a bit over a month! Washed, dumped in the pot, added a tiny bit of boiling water from the carrots next door, and mashed in place as they were coming to a boil. Frantically popped a random amount of sucralose pellets (don't have liquid here; and don't use the powders due to un necessary calories just to have in powder form while adding nothing in my view). Frantically added some more water. And then made the boo boo of adding a half lemon and a couple of seeds sadly. Consistency is good. But way too tart!

But you gave me a rescue idea

I have some too old to use frozen blueberries. And I have fresh apples. Oh, better. And a couple of cups of unsweetened apple sauce

Thinking blueberry apple cranberry yogurt topping 🙀😇😹
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Hmm .... added 328g apples, 600g frozen wild blueberries and broke down and added 99g honey that was sitting forgotten on a shelf 😇

No clue what I'm making but I think it will taste good, but still quite tart! That lemon was powerful, or maybe the cranberries!

berit63p9gsd.jpg
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    I use a cup of orange juice to cook my cranberries in…1 or 2 tsp. Vanilla and the same of cinnamon…add enough dry Splenda to sweeten…boil until berries pop and then let it set and thicken….