Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options

Today's lunch, in deference to me going to the store, is pulled pork on buns, which is easy to do and fast to heat up when I come home ravenous. I'm going to try a larger breakfast today because I make bad decisions when I'm ravenous.

Dinner will be Hunan pork. I know it's traditionally done with beef, but we like pork better.

• Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 4,065 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options

Both your lunch and dinner sound delicious, Alexandra!

Today's lunch was a tortilla pizza - which was essentially a tortilla used as a pizza base, with a homemade tomato sauce, 27g burrata, 5g 'nduja pasta, chargrilled sweet yellow and red peppers, red onion, cherry tomatoes and one rasher of crisp air-fried streaky bacon crumbled over the top. 360 calories of scrumminess!

And dinner was another bowl of curried leek and potato soup, a granary roll (91g), followed by 60g Fage 5% fat greek yoghurt, 150g mixed defrosted berries and 5g nutella.

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,777 Member
    Options

@AlexandraFindsHerself1971 it definitely helps me to go to the store full as opposed to hungry! When full I am able to find way less candy on sale!!!! 🤣

@Yoolypr your pad-Thai-like sounds really really good... though I am having trouble envisioning a noodle-less pad Thai! But, now you've got my curiousity going 'cause I've yet to see at our "up north" Walmarts these lower calorie versions!

While un-warm outside (0C/33F), we currently have blinding sunshine and all the windows open!

I have a turkey roast thawing in the fridge to maybe make with a bag of the veggie fries. But will it thaw in time? Fall back? I am thinking maybe a couple of frozen tuna steaks that I can start up from frozen? Something else? Hmmm..... 🤔

And... I am fairly sure that my feelings about the forum changes so far can be summarized as follows: 😈👿

Any Android users around here? I am currently getting NOTHING (blank page) when I open up community on MFP and I updated to the latest version of the app yesterday.

• PAV8888
    Options

Nice looking pizza Garfield❣️ still working on figuring out the toppings😝😹

• Janatki
    Janatki Posts: 730 Member
    Options

A day of overworking… and a rumbling tum ….meant little time to think about what’s for supper this evening Delved into the Freezer & found portion of OH’s Chicken Tikka Marsala …aka Hairy Biker style, defrosted & reheated with a chapatti & plain yoghurt as bit spicy for my pallete!

• TheKookyKiwi
    TheKookyKiwi Posts: 68 Member
    Options

Yup Android user here. Community just shows as a blank page for me too when on my phone. I'm accessing now via desktop/web application.

I have several criticisms for this version of the forums .. but shrug .. I make do.

• PAV8888
    Options

ONLY several????😹

• Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,916 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options

Yeah - pad Thai without the noodles but seasoned up it worked. I’ll take a photo of the package next time I buy it. I think it would work fine with zoodles or even some rice noodles too.

Whats chapati? Hairy Biker style?

Options

I think eating more on the store mornings works. I was getting hungry by 11, but then again that's about when I usually start fixing lunch and it's okay to be a little hungry while lunch is getting ready. I have to eat on time or I get a migraine. I had one anyway today because the cold front came through, but because I'd been doing everything right for a week or so it wasn't terrible and I was able to get up and cook dinner.

(Currently posting in a mild food coma. Ginger and garlic and red pepper yum.)

And I was able to pack Son's lunch right after cleaning up dinner, and despite adding two cookies to it, I was able to resist the mental suggestion that I have one without too much effort. If I want anything it's one of those mini-candy bars that I have in the garage fridge, cause chocolate crisp. But the want is not acute enough to make me walk out there to fetch it, either. I'm good.

• Janatki
    Janatki Posts: 730 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options

Hairy Bikers are two character Northern cooks in GB …. Write cook books and one was about Indian / Asian food!

Chapatti - a type of flat bread, but any without yeast .. is just flour water & salt and cooked on open flame, but allows you to eat the curry without a knife & fork!

Go well together, but with rice is heavy on th carbs 🥴

OH usually does a batch that rarely last one sitting when the boys were at home, but as they have both flown the coup, this batch allowed a couple of potions to be frozen … thankfully… as no energy this evening!

• Yoolypr
    Options

I have no experience with Indian cuisine. I think there are a couple of Indian/ Asian markets in the city but only one Indian restaurant that I know of. A few Indian foods in the grocery store but wouldn’t know what to do with it.

I’m not adverse to heat or spices except for rose water in food. So if someone can post a few easy favorite Indian recipes in the recipe postings I’d like to give it a try.

• PAV8888
    Options

The "standard intro" to Indian food for the un-initiated meat-eater is "butter chicken". If you want to end up sunk in calories... grab some naan bread from Wally-mart next time you're there. The 180 Cal you see? It's a TOTAL LIE. It is 180 Cal per HALF a naan bread.... and that's before anyone adds butter or ghee to it! :)

Now. In the cheap section (but spicier)... you can grab the ready made Indian meals (mostly vegetarian). Walmart up here in the north actually has some of the least expensive ones around--and even though they carry two kinds (Ashoka and I believe MTR), I find nothing wrong with the less expensive ones (Ashoka).

Figure 320 to 450 Cal for a one cup sized pouch of food. Plus either some rice or whole wheat bread to eat with it.

And, of course, like Jan you might want to make your own chapatti! I tend to eat the pouches as is or with a wasa or two. And / or use half the rice out of the frozen dinners and split the rest of it with the dog :)

Last but not least you can just buy some ready made sauces (again I would probably start with butter chicken sauce though I personally use the lower calorie blue menu one at about 360 Cal per 400g) and put it on top of pretty much anything (veggies or meat).

But that's just me--and I'm obviously hungry right now contemplating Indian-like food combos! 😂

Options

I have found a lot of really good accessible well explained Indian recipes at this lady's site: https://www.harighotra.co.uk/

She has her recipes really well classified so if you're looking for things that cook fast or are okay with doing a longer prep, you can sort by that.

Some Indian and Middle Eastern desserts do use rosewater, but at least in the Indian ones you could use vanilla instead. Rosewater is amazing in very small doses with other flavors (I make an almond milk, cinnamon, and rosewater custard pie that is wonderful) but in anything more than a small dose is just horrid.

• PAV8888
    Options

I am imagining rosewater turkish delights... don't ask me why, I have no clue. I actually would probably enjoy them... but that's about it for the obnoxious concoction.

Truth be told neither the jaleibis aka orange pretzels (which I love but which most of my indian friends scoff at) nor the gulab jamuns (which remind me faintly of a greek ravani, though they are more dense and not shaped the same) that I've tried had any rosewater. I suppose the gulab jamun syrup could be made to have, but it just never happened to me!

I don't know Alexandra if I'm sold on your custard pie yet!

Tonight was an "interesting" one. Ended up firing up the oven and baking 600g (660 actually) of "blue menu breaded haddock" and 500g (exactly) of veggie fries (previously discussed). Basically dump from freezer to parchment paper and eat. A bit expensive calorie wise as my 54% fish and 71% plus 101g ketchup ended up just over 1K Cal. Goes to show you that even at 1500 Cal I must be seriously underestimating past fish and chip dinners... and that I still managed to lose/maintain in spite of that!!!

NOT loving the forum change yet! And sure... more emojis... but harder to select! Resizable Garfields are good though!!!

• Yoolypr
    edited November 2021
    Options

Thanks for the information on Indian food PAV. I’ll check out the frozen foods and prepared stuff first. If recall correctly there isn’t much frozen to choose from and little in the aisles. I think I’ve seen naan at the grocery but I’m not a big bread eater so probably would have a problem with half a piece. Might have to make the pilgrimage to the market up north

Alexandra - I will read through the website. I think trying some homemade foods may be the way to go. I can get to a market. More time consuming but I don’t mind experimenting.

I think the only Indian food I can recall tasting are tandoori chicken and some vindaloo that was so hot even I couldn’t eat it. I think I need to work on curry.

No rosewater. Have had a gelatinous middle eastern dessert with rose water. It was like eating a deodorant stick!🤢

• Bella_Figura
    Options

@Yoolypr, this site https://myheartbeets.com/category/indian-cooking/ is a fabulous introduction to indian food. The recipes are simple, unfussy and quick (especially if you have an Instant Pot) and taste pretty authentic. The blog author is US based, so the ingredients should be available....

Options

Yeah, Turkish Delight with rose does not usually please Western palates! I don't like it, but I like rosewater in Anglo-Norman cuisine. (one sort of Medieval European cooking).

• Yoolypr
    Options

Thank you Bella! This site looks very promising. Lots of good reading here. 😋

• Bella_Figura
    Options

Mmmmm rose flavoured turkish delight. Nom nom nom.

• Yoolypr
    Options

Nope. No rose water ever. Like licking personal care products. Hubby feels the same way about cilantro which I love. He says it’s soapy tasting.