Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    That all sounds pretty good, PAV. I really like the look of those veggies in sauce...they have almost inspired me to do something similar....just haven't made it there yet. This week. But I'll keep my beans far far away from the sauce. Maybe even in a different room. <3
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    We had leftover dough from yesterday's homemade pizza, so we made dessert tonight with it - rhubarb calzone! First time we've tried a sweet pizza and it was a winner.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    I read today that Quest protein bars can be bake at 400 degrees for 8 minutes an they will puff up and brown making it taste more like a cookie….the same for One bars and Cliff bars….of course I read this while eating a Quest bar so now I can’t try this until tomorrow!

We had Taco salads for dinner minus the chips….really good!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,939 Member
    Options
    I can see that! Clif especially would be like an oatmeal cookie... but it would probably be better bang for buck to make oatmeal cookies instead!

Yesterday and today are a bit of a write off as very little sleep and no movement at all yesterday while trying to deal with an issue are probably ending with me about 1000Cal above maintenance over the two days.

Slept closer to 3.5 than 4 hours. Heart rate variability tanked from a close to absolute high value to a close to minimum value. 3h and 32min, Heart rate variability tanked from near max to near min for my baseline value. And resting rate is up a couple of bmp.

• Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,986 Member
    Options
    Get some sleep PAV 😴

Today is unplanned. Maybe some of those canned dolmas from the import store. A salad?

Too hot to cook today. Actually it’s the humidity that makes it miserable so air conditioning is cranking up.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Hope you are sleeping, PAV....and have a day to recuperate.

Yooly - can't imagine hitting heat so quickly i the "spring" - we still in the spring/winter battle here. One day beautiful and sunny - light jacket weather. Next day flurries and rain and temperature bouncing around freezing but so damp it gets right inside of you.

Supper today? lol. Have I mentioned I love this thread because it makes me plan?

Might try making some of PAV's veggies in tomatoes sauce. On soy spaghetti (if I have the calories available) or on frenched green beans if not.
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Well, the intense heat this early is a bit unusual but not unheard of. Tomorrow and rest of the week is milder - only 80s. 🌞. Still some reprieve until every day is 100!

I’m planning on moving things out of the freezer this week. Meatloaf, cooked chicken, frozen casserole bits. I’ll have to alternate some days with lighter fare. Soon we’ll be having more cold salads and sandwiches.
  • Bella_Figura
    Options
    Yooly, as a person who's lived in both a temperate and a hot climate, would you say its easier to manage your weight in the hotter climate? I would imagine one would be drawn more to salads and light dishes, rather than the stodge that characterises cold Northern hemisphere winter fare. I always lose my appetite when it's really hot, and when I was obese I found summer heat (especially Italian summer heat) pretty challenging - the sweat rashes, general discomfort, and exposure of more flabby flesh than usual made me conscious of my weight, and determined to tackle it...whereas in the winter when I'm swaddled in layers of clothes, I was always less aware of my excess fat. It's a fond (though probably erroneous) belief of mine that if I lived in a hot climate year round I'd definitely manage my weight better....would you say I'm fooling myself?
  • Bella_Figura
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Dinner was paneer curry and basmati rice. Exactly 500 calories for the whole meal. Yummy!

gv25i399ge3o.jpeg
    ujfi6vomc7tq.jpeg
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    That looks delicious, Bella!
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    I have lived in the hot humid muggy south for almost 50 years….hasn’t helped me lose weight….this year so far we have had the air off three or four days…it is almost always warm or hot….the last 12 months I have worn a jacket outside twice….I jus cook and bake all year round!….
  • Yoolypr
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Yooly, as a person who's lived in both a temperate and a hot climate, would you say its easier to manage your weight in the hotter climate?
    It's a fond (though probably erroneous) belief of mine that if I lived in a hot climate year round I'd definitely manage my weight better....would you say I'm fooling myself?

Ah if only this was true! Heavier winter meals tend to be more filling and last longer for me. Those “light” salads and meals often leave me looking for something more satiating. Not much appetite but plenty of time for mindless grazing. And those light meals aren’t always light on calories. Then there’s ice cream and gelato🍦🍧 and fruits🍒🍌🍓🍇.

I was miserable in the heat but luckily no rashes or major problems other than exhaustion. I’ve learned to dress for the heat, avoid afternoon sun, and stay in the air conditioning. I behave in hot summers much like northerners behave in bitter cold. Protect myself and avoid exposure.

Surprisingly after losing most of my excess weight I’m much more comfortable and actually cold in the summer air conditioning.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Middle of the road is best. Not being able to go for a walk or a bike ride. No thank you 🙀🙀🙀🤷🏻‍♂️
  • Yoolypr
    edited April 2022
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Middle of the road is best. Not being able to go for a walk or a bike ride. No thank you 🙀🙀🙀🤷🏻‍♂️

Therefore - the gym. Air conditioning💨, bath rooms🧻, water fountain🚰, showers🚿. My retirement benefit pays the fees. So it’s free. 👍 The only hassle is driving there but errands 🛒 can be done along the way home. Sometimes you just have to work around the obstacles to get things done. 🏆

Besides November through April are mostly fair weather that’s good for outdoor activity. Don’t have to shovel the sunshine 🌞!

Did I mention it was 96 today? Broke a record for the day.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Didn't get around to making veggies in tomato sauce a la PAV...so supper tonight was those veggie mediterranean sausages (that I'm doing such a bad job of avoiding) with saurkraut, little gem potatoes amd cauliflower. Superquick, delicious and filling. It has been a good day - and I"m going to bed now before I blow it.... :)
  • PAV8888
    Options
    I clarify: as we all know my bike qualifies as a coat hanger. So bike ride was mentioned solely on the behalf of Italian leaning British parachuting felines! 😹😂👍
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Laurie you're inspiring! Now for me not to blow the nice (partially) balancing deficit I've managed to run today! 🤔🤯🤔🤞🤞🤞
  • PAV8888
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Btw, your snausage with salted cabbage, gems, and cauli sounds real good Laurie!!!

Yoolie, of course we all do our best and I'm sure you guys have malls which is what us Canadians are reduced to when we don't like shovelling 😇 (🤫 don't tell us i said so! 🤫)

Well, at least some Canadians (like 90%) we go to the mall!!

The vast majority (like just under 10% of the population 😉) and national aspiration, of course, is for all of us to parallel our Airforce .. the Canadian Goose (egg is optional🤣)

Come September, well, that's a bit early and we have to have our 6 months and a day in country for medical and tax residence, so maybe October? Tada: It is time to migrate south.... maybe to Yoolie?????

The guys seated behind me were on their way back home from Arizona now that the local golf course is less than a week from reopening❣️

Quebec goes to Florida... they heard that the states are bilingual (but forgot to ask in which languages! But at least no masks, right Maxime Bernier???🤣😹🙀) Je fais une blague mes amis ne vous inquiètes pas j'aime ❤️ bien le Québec! 😉

And then, the plan, is to migrate back when the heat rises too much in the southern kitchens--so time to get out!!!!😉

Purrrrfect❣️

(That "Jim" stuff raises specters of coat hanger dangers and fears of memberships that keep on taking🙀)

Mfp is telling me it's time to go to bed now 😹🤣 ni-night. I'll tell the bed bugs not to bite 😘😎

Wish I had a drink.... but it's just caffeine and clean living :lol:
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Gym is free for me, much closer than the mall and open 24/7. Cannot imagine setting up two households just to avoid weather. Spending those $$$$ on travel is more fun.

Today we’re having Mexican lasagna. Basically like regular lasagna but defatted and made with 🌶🌶 tomatillo salsa. 🥗 too.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Laurie you're inspiring! Now for me not to blow the nice (partially) balancing deficit I've managed to run today! 🤔🤯🤔🤞🤞🤞

lol....that is a pretty funny post after 2 in the morning! :)