Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,943 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    The hugged ice pack and I just bunny strolled to the grocery store and back and are currently sitting at just under 7K steps. With a second stroll planned post the bandage ripping off ceremony I'm planning to engage in later tonight!

This whole sleeping all day thing is getting annoying. Even Fitbit admits to almost 8 hours of sleep in total and I've certainly spent WAY more than 10 in bed!!!!

All good. This is way WAY better than last time... so far.

Up to 80g protein and 105% fiber thanks to Skyr and blueberries. And OK on Calories for now!
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I don’t know how you do it part but if somehow make it all sound like a most excellent adventure😜
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Shhhh.... don't tell Laurie about the Schwartz's smoked meat pouch... but if you prepare a couple of compliments seasoned sesame ginger cauliflower rice pouches to the minimum suggested heating time (680g) and then transfer them to a large container and add a pre-thawed Schwartz's pouch you cut up in little strips / pieces and a couple of vigorously beaten up eggs and nuke it all for a few minutes more (open so that it dries out a bit)... you end up with about 925 Cal of semi credible cauliflower fried "rice"... and there's probably enough of it for a couple of meals--especially if you add sriracha!!! :wink:

Vigorously working on the "couple" of meals concept as opposed to the "why leave for later what you can eat now" theory!
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    Today was a cup of cottage cheese and later some ice cream. Because it was 109F and I’m miserable with this UTI. Obviously no good will come of bad eating and antibiotics.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Oh geez, Yooly. I hope that passes through really quickly. And be careful I hear that some dude named PAV is trying to pawn off the idea of smoked meat pouches !!! 😳😳😳
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Well, if it is really hot, you could put a smoked meat pouch in your mailbox... :lol:
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    I’m hoping today is bringing good health to EVERYONE!!!!!!

Maybe we can source some smoked health pouches???? I think we have just the guy here to find such a thing 😁
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,284 Member
    Options
    Finally really getting some veggies in. The last 2 days my lunch has been a salad with romaine, cherry tomatoes, avocado, broccoli slaw, blue cheese, honey roasted nuts, chicken, and balsamic vinaigrette. They have been SO good and just what I need after a week of toast, eggs, applesauce, and Gatorade.
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Day #11 with temperatures over 🔥105F. Over 100F 🥵for 30 days thus far. No relief in sight yet. No rain either. So today was a cold chicken leg 🍗and a 🥗salad. I’m thinking yogurt and cereal tonight.
    Trying to avoid uncontrolled snacking to put me in a mental coma. This time of year I’d pretty much subsist on crappy snacks 🍭🍪🍩🥜🍫🍬and ice cream🍦.
    It takes effort to eat “real” food when you really don’t care or want to plan.
  • scoutmom1981
    scoutmom1981 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    My son is coming home from a huge backpacking trip through the NM mountains with his scout crew. So I am making his favorite for dinner. I am going to modify it a little to make it more healthy.

Pork Chops-Thinking about grilling or baking them.
    Scalloped potatoes=Not much way to make these healthy so I am just going to cut back the amount I am going to eat.
    mixed veggies-going to eat more of these and less potatoes.
  • PAV8888
    edited July 2023
    Options
    Depending on all the stuff you're coming you could throw in there a baked or boiled potato for yourself while leaving extras for the scouts! Sounds like an awesome meal though!
  • PAV8888
    edited July 2023
    Options
    @Yoolypr hug on the heat thing.

Salmon or tuna salad? Look at the Rio mare prepared ones for ideas without cracking cook books.... but, frankly, nuke some mix veg, let it cool, add some fresh stuff maybe like some tomatoes and your fish and just some lemon or vinegar or a light vinegrette (maybe with some mustard grains, thanks for the idea Yooly maybe that's what I'll make myself!!!😎)

But what I came to say because it hits a button.

I'm talking strictly weight management here. Not long term overall health. Long term overall health will eventually require nutrients. But, for us here, weight management is important.

I use to feel an entitlement to my "meal" made with "real food"

The candy bars? Cookies? Full sugar pop or juices? Ice cream? These were the non nutritious "extras" that didn't have the right to interfere with the nutritious meals I deserved.

So dinner was dinner and lunch was lunch. And in addition to the random extras.

Well that's not how calories work
    Calories are calories.
    Whether from real food or from frou frou drinks or random condiments!

And if I've already spent my calories on cookies, thousand Island sauce, or mayo, or even ketchup!, I don't get to get that extra bit of hamburger!!!!🙀🫣
  • PAV8888
    edited July 2023
    Options
    Who would have thunk it?

Yes! Using the golden ratio for coffee does make for a significantly tastier cup! 😎

And since my coffee maker screws things up if I load more than 55g of coffee (the grounds splatter at 55.5g🙀 but not at 55😹!!!!), this means I'm now limited to 990g of coffee vs the previous 1.25litres!😡 But it is way better tasting! 😎 And I'm just as wired!!!😹😜

Or, maybe, MORE wired!!!🫣
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Yooly? Do you guys have McDonald's vanilla cones for $1 down there during the summer? We do! Ours advertise about 240 Cal each but on average by weight they're closer to 300. I know down there they claim about 150 Cal each so don't know how small
  • Yoolypr
    edited July 2023
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Yooly? Do you guys have McDonald's vanilla cones for $1 down there during the summer? We do! Ours advertise about 240 Cal each but on average by weight they're closer to 300. I know down there they claim about 150 Cal each so don't know how small

Yes we do have those cones at McDs. But they are of dubious quality and some sweaty teenager is handling my cone! I usually buy a good quality grocery ice cream and weigh it out. It’s about 230 calories for 2/3 cup (93 grams). And no added calories from a cone. Sometimes I experiment with frozen yogurt, gelatos or sherbets. I try to keep a serving at most 250 calories.

I avoid most fast food places unless traveling and have no other choice. I do stop at the local Whataburger for their breakfast on a bun (an egg McMuffin without sauce or cheese) only after fasting for blood tests. Maybe 3 times a year.

Going out to eat for me is a special occasion or vacation treat. Too tempting and variable for frequent indulgences. Besides hubby is a great home cook. He even serves up my lunch with a calorie count!
  • scoutmom1981
    Options
    No pork chops last night. My son came home from his trek and his stomach wasn't in the best shape. He didn't want me to waste his favorite meal and him not be able to enjoy it. Maybe tonight. Maybe tomorrow.

Still keeping in my calories!
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Wise son you have there Scout!

We had a pork tenderloin, cauliflower rice, and salad for lunch. Instapot and air fryer were employed by hubby to create the fine meal. Tonight I think it’s some Lean Cuisine thingy for me with a small salad. I’m thinking there’s room for ice cream too. Woohoo!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    What great company to be sharing this thread with❤️
    My main meal so far today with some roasted vegetables with barley and pan fried spicy tofu.

I’ve never just had Barley on its own and I was going to make some buckwheat and I realize I had a jar with barley that’s been sitting there for a while so I should just try cooking some of that up… nothing but a bit of salt in the water. It’s actually a very tasty addition to these veggie bowls. I’m absolutely enjoying the once a week roasting and all week eating of this meal. They hold onto the cold so you can feel it all the way down 🙂 and later tonight some green soup. Maybe I’ll warm it up tonight 🔥
  • scoutmom1981
    edited July 2023
    Options
    Finally made my sons pork chop meal. It was super high in calories but I was able to keep it in my window.

That’s the great thing about counting calories. You can eat whatever you want as long as it fits.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Couldn’t bare to look at another vegetable tonight… had a toasted jalapeño asiago bagel at Tim Hortons with plain cream cheese. I was so much more fun than green soup again!!!

Pup had a side of bacon 🥓