Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,941 Member
    Options
    I have no idea Laurie! They were there in the produce section and Safeway doesn't have the frozen spirals Superstore does.

Cabbage like neutral I guess and they held out pretty well and actually meshed nicely with the broccoli that was part of the linguine kit.

The linguine kit was barely worth it because it was on sale when I got it at not anywhere near full price...
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Maybe get an inexpensive spiralizer on Amazon? You can then buy your own veggies. We spiralize zucchini and sweet potatoes often- takes only a few minutes. And they cook up/microwave fast. Works on any hard veggie like potatoes, carrots, turnips, beets, kohlrabi, squashes.....

After cooking you could bag and freeze portions as needed.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    But I tried using a starfrit one and it was a disaster. You'll figure that with training, things might improve? Or are we going to end up with another kitchen adventure? Admit to being tempted
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    If you’re seriously going to use a spiralizer, don’t go cheap. They wobble, don’t work on harder veggies.
    I recommend OXO Good Grips 3-Blade Tabletop Spiralizer with StrongHold Suction on Amazon for $48 US. It might be available on sale at Costco or elsewhere around Christmas time maybe.
    9uqm7spc90wn.jpeg
    It’s got three blades for different spirals. Also shreds cabbage.
    And yes - practice makes perfect!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    How would it work with a butternut thingy? I mean I was banging it with an AXE :blush:
  • PAV8888
    Options
    @Yoolypr before we proceed too far down the spirals of the spirilizer route... have we discussed, in detail, why PAV does NOT use his high end mandolin slicer? Any considerations I should be aware off?????
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    How would it work with a butternut thingy? I mean I was banging it with an AXE :blush:

Haven’t tried butternut. It’s pretty hard and is probably not easy to spiralize. I generally buy it precut at the grocery because I don’t trust my knife skills or lack thereof. Besides butternuts have seeds and hollow centers. Spiralizer works best on medium hard solid veggies.
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    @Yoolypr before we proceed too far down the spirals of the spirilizer route... have we discussed, in detail, why PAV does NOT use his high end mandolin slicer? Any considerations I should be aware off?????
    Obviously be CAREFUL inserting the blades. But once everything is set up your hands don’t contact the blade. You could wear gloves 🧤! A good clean pair of rubberized gardening gloves?
  • scoutmom1981
    scoutmom1981 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Your pasta sounds so much healthier than mine @PAV8888

I started a new medicine this week that suppresses my appetite. I’ve struggled to get 1000 calories a day in for the last two days. I know I need to eat more but I’m struggling to find the motivation.
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    There's also a spiralizer attachment for Kitchenaid mixers, if you want to go that route. I don't have one but I have their meat grinder and it works very well. And I adore my mixer.

Eldest Son was here at dinnertime so I made burritos for Husband and Wife and Son and I had chicken and cheese quesadillas, since the griddle was out and I know he likes that sort of thing. Then I had ice cream, and was done for the day. OMAD is working nicely for me.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    I admit Alexandra that I kept finding review references to the Kitchenaid mixer spiralizer attachment. Pretty much every review listed it as the cat's meow!!!

Then I looked at the acquisition cost and counter space requirement and run away! Yes, the meat grinder is also on the "wouldn't this be an awesome gadget to have" list--together with seeing what goes in my ground meat. Have always shied away from that because of the clean up!!!

Sometimes these big purchases are absolutely worth it. And you resent the money wasted on lesser options. But I don't know that I see me making sufficient use of the gadget at this time! But its on the radar!!!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    @Yoolypr we actually have the OXO you suggest available and it is really NOT that expensive but it looks mostly plastic?

There is also a https://www.amazon.ca/Lagostina-40ME-Stainless-Spiralizer/dp/B09PTJZNCT/ref=sr_1_19?keywords=spiralizer&qid=1691164573&sr=8-19 metal one and a more widely reviewed/sold welltobe metal one: https://www.amazon.ca/WellToBe-Vegetable-Spiralizer-Spiral-Spaghetti/dp/B07GF5KDGG/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=spiralizer&qid=1691164573&sr=8-7

What I remember was the vegetable losing traction! i.e. that I was spinning but the vegetable wasn't... which I assume is a function of the little teeth that are doing the pushing.

Which has led me to wonder whether an apple corer/spiralizing slicer might do the trick, albeit with some extra waste? What do you peops think? Something like these:
    https://www.amazon.ca/Apple-Peeler-Corer-Cucina-Pro/dp/B07PLFJYXC/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=2OIAO2VQ6OMEC&keywords=apple+peeler&qid=1691164882&sprefix=apple+peeler,aps,138&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

Or this one which will arrive TODAY if I order before noon!!! :smiley:
    https://www.amazon.ca/Spiralizer®-Durable-Slicing-Stainless-Included/dp/B015GX0GZO/ref=sr_1_6?crid=2OIAO2VQ6OMEC&keywords=apple+peeler&qid=1691164882&sprefix=apple+peeler,aps,138&sr=8-6

• Yoolypr
    Options
    Apple peeler/corer won’t make spiralized noodles. The one you’re considering is made by the Spiralizer company but is a only a peeler. Look at the photos! They’re meant to remove only apple 🍎 peel and core leaving a naked whole fruit which you then slice/dice for pies.

I don’t know if the stainless steel spiralizers are better than the OXO plastic one. The game changer is stability. You might read the reviews to see comments on whether the gizmo slides around leaving you to hang on to it and trying to turn the crank at the same time. Just cause it’s stainless doesn’t necessarily mean it will be heavy enough to stay put.
    The other consideration is how often you’ll actually use it rather than buy to the precut grocery stuff. Will you take time to spiral stuff or go with convenience?
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Well the whole point of this is to reduce the pre-cut stuff and associated extra cost! If it ain't used for that it would be just waste. Just like the starfrit one which I gave away after two pathetic attempts at using.

But they show the apple SLICED at the end of the machine. I'm ok with that kind of slices for my "noodles". Are you saying that it won't do that?

In my mind the "hope" is that it would be able to push the vegetable all the way through the machine whereas the one I tried wasn't able to push through the slicer (or the user wasn't able to get it to push through the slicer)
  • PAV8888
    Options
    But I agree that the round blade isn't the way I want to go... back to the drawing board! :disappointed:
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Yes - think about whether you’ll realistically use the spiraling thingy. Hubby loves kitchen toys. We have a big crockpot, waffle iron, electric wok, bread machine, ice cream maker, fondue pot ....all gathering dust after the honeymoon period was over.
    Eventually it’s just easier to go old school. After all, it’s the same veggie whether it’s chopped, diced or spiralized.
  • scoutmom1981
    scoutmom1981 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Made shredded chicken tacos using low carb tortilla. Each taco was only 266 calories with cheese and sour cream. Super filling and hit good on the numbers.

Finally hit 1000 calories today. Still not hungry but I guess the 2 hours at the gym allowed me to eat today.
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    I'm leaning toward the sentiment in Yooly's last few posts. It doesnt matter what type of spirolizer if you don't use it. I would rarely use it. The wonder of buying those frozen spiralled vegetables is that they are right there in your freezer - ready to use. No mess, no fuss, no prep, no wondering what is in season. It is just there making it easy to prepare a healhty, low calorie "pasta" dish.

That being said - I would love for your to spiralize your own veggies and tell us about it :)

I'm doing well. Bored silly with being poke and prodded. Though the bit of a fondle was almost fun
    :wink:

Other that the hopeful news with the eye - everything else was just more spinning in circles, more repeating of options, more appointments :(

Next week I'm going to a new Surgical Oncologist - and I'm hoping she is the one I've been dreaming of.

Yesterday I was ready to opt for the "do nothing" option and to book a flight to Newfoundland.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    i am not really liking the sounds of all this I don't think... and I am not talking about my short term savings. When are you seeing the new chick?
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Laurie- “do nothing” is not an option! At least see the new oncologist which may provide some fresh perspectives. Then it’s decision time.

Today we’re having salmon burgers from Costco with salad, sweet potato and corn on the cob. The only bad part is the salmon patties are relatively small for 200 calories each. I’m trying to keep the entire meal at 450-500 because I only have 1350 calories per day (if I’m careful).
  • PAV8888
    Options
    I would be more worried about the dang corn!!! hmmm..... I just had an idea about making one's own fish patties! :blush: