Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,986 Member
    Options
    Not a fan of cold soups, I’m afraid. I guess I just miss nice comforting hot meals altogether. As summer goes on, food just gets simple, cold and often uncooked. That sounds okay but I find it less satisfying than a smaller quantity of cooked food.
    And therefore, unsatiated, I scrounge around for snacks between the sad cold meals.
    I know this but somehow I can’t work up the effort to cook.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,939 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    I'm on my way to a strange tangent!!! :wink:

Items: plain 0% greek or skyr 750g about 450Cal. sucralose 0Cal. all bran buds 25g are about 61 Cal. konjac sticky rice about 75g are 45Cal. So the whole thing is just under 560 Cal...

Goal: in ~600 Cal turn the above into some sort of rice pudding!!!!!

Initial findings: I am somewhere between rice and tapioca pudding maybe. but I need something! raisins? vanilla? cinnamon? Lot's more konjac rice is available since each pack is 300g. Note this is the "sticky" rice version which does have some calories (180 Cal for the pack) and is a bit less distinctly formed and more ready to eat than the regular rice or pasta version

Experimental input solicited!!!!

Oh: watermelon and feta works great when it's hot... but not if you're freezing in the air conditioning!!! :lol:
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    Very interesting, PAV. This rice pudding. I found the konjac rice felt so insubstantial - but I can imagine it being almost a superior pudding addition! Cinnamon / vanilla YES. Raisins have a fair number of calories :(
  • PAV8888
    Options
    I also don't have any in the house but I do have a Christmas gift which is dried cherries I believe.

I guess I'm going to try version 2 once i replenish my yogurt supply which is at zero!!!!😳
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Definitely try the dried cherries 🍒 in your rice pudding experiment. Dried cranberries could be good too. Raisins tend to be sweeter which could be okay if you don’t use too much sucralose.
    Bon appetit!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    But I like food that is as sweet as me!!!!😍😹
  • PAV8888
    Options
    It's a bit tart... maybe different yogurt?!?!?! :neutral:
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    It's a bit tart... maybe different yogurt?!?!?! :neutral:

Costco’s Kirkland Greek yogurt isn’t too tart.??

There’s always the Yoplait lite vanilla at 80 calories per container. No need to add vanilla or sucralose then. It’s not Greek yogurt.... but not bad because you are creating dessert not a health product. I think it would work well with the konjac rice. Yoplait is “looser” so maybe a 50/50 mix with Greek yogurt?
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Tonight is a late supper of green soup and feta cheese. Went to a music festival today - ate there - very reasonably! A Mediterranean wrap with veggies, feta and hummus. And. A MacDonald's cone afterwards. Very reasonable though - since I wasn't "tracking" .... and a couple of teas and a plain donut to round out the day. Definitely under maintenance so I'm very please :)
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Yooly you're so SMART!!!! :heart: You're AWESOME! :kissing_heart: Why am I even starting with greek yogurt since both the konjac and the all bran if I use it will suck in water anyway!!!!!!! I think you may be on to something.... I'll have to explore for the next batch!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Well done Laurie! Woohoo!!!!
  • scoutmom1981
    scoutmom1981 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I was able to stay under my calories for the whole weekend while camping. I even had enough to have a small s’more last night!
  • Yoolypr
    edited August 2023
    Options
    Good planning Scout!

Today we got some unsauced roast beef subs for lunch. I had the small for about 300 calories. Not sure what’s for dinner. Maybe a salad because I’m short on bunnies today.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    I’m going to pick up some yoghurt and try this rice pudding idea this week… I have konjac rice … I’m not gonna do the bran buds because with all the green soup and the blueberry spinach beat smoothies I don’t need any more of that fibre stuff 🤣
  • PAV8888
    edited August 2023
    Options
    Konjac is fiber too!!!🤐🤐🤐
    Bran buds give structure! 🤨
    I've been using konjac sticky rice not plain konjac rice. So 180 Cal for the pouch which is NOT zero.
    But I like it better especially with cauliflower rice etc
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    I have the regular kind - that is what will go into the greek yogurt....maybe I'll get the vanilla flavoured? As Yooly said - already has the flavouring and sweetener.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    But so many more calories!

mine is percolating currently. No bran. 250g "sticky rice" and 85g dried cherries. I ended up getting the oikos greek 0% vanilla because, frankly, the watered down regular 750g yogurts were only 10% cheaper at their regular price compared to the sale priced greek. I haven't add any spices yet!

MAYBE I licked the spoons and containers :blush: Haven't gone out much as it is a bit smoggy/smokey and whether imagined or not I "felt" it was affecting me so I decided to wait for sunset before venturing out!
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    It is gonna get hot this week, though luckily not Yooly hot! Excessive heat watch for Wednesday and Thursday. Will stay just under 100 up here by the lake, but it will also be humid so feels like will be quite higher. So my meal plan is as follows:

Tonight and tomorrow: Loaded baked potatoes (broccoli, bacon, cheese, green onion, and sour cream)
    Wednesday and Thursday: Falafel bowls (falafel, greens, tomato, cucumber, feta, hummus... only the falafel needs to be cooked and will drag out the air fryer for it)
    Friday and Saturday: Pepper steak and rice
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Don't imagine it was "imagined" PAV - seems the air in your neck of the woods is becoming dangerous. Haven't ventured to the grocery store yet - so my concoction is still percolating in my mind... :)

Athijade - sounds like a pretty fine meal plan. I love the idea of falafel bowls!!!
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Hope you have air conditioning Athijade! I remember those hot Midwest summer days of my youth. Of course I’d trade that in for this summer in Texas. It’s 106F right now. Your meal plan sounds sooo good.