Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    removed the 371g of rice from the "family butter chicken pack" and zapped it with cauliflower rice instead. Consumed!

Then grabbed the 371g of rice and started a big pot with that and 2031g of cut green beans. I am contemplating what else to add to the soup. Will probably get an onion to add and have bags of shrimps available to add for protein.... as this is unlikely to get on the stove for a few hours yet... suggestions are welcome!

Onion, celery, carrots, mushrooms, whatever. I dont like shrimp so I'd go for chicken and chicken broth for chicken rice soup heavy on the veg.
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,986 Member
    Options
    Hope the soup turns out well PAV. You’ve got a blank slate there so toss in any veggies you like. Add some canned dices tomatoes, corn and cumin for a southwestern soup topped with a few crushed tortilla chips. Not authentic but easy?

• Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    What the what is going on here?
    You kids are all asleep?

Yes. Or at least I wish I was haha.

Tonight I plan on doing a tofu and veggie stir fry. We shall see. I have a doctor's appointment this afternoon and don't know what will happen. Most likely a blood draw to get a baseline to help figure out why I am so tired, foggy, and can't remember things.
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    A can of diced tomatoes! They go well with rice and green beans - and I think with shrimp????
  • Athijade
    Options
    I did not have the tofu and veggie stir fry last night.

Tonight I am making this premade Top Sirloin Beef in Mushroom Sauce and adding egg noodles and broccoli to it. I am getting a hair cut so need something easy to come back to make. Then I will make the stir fry on Friday.

I am trying to find meals that are so stupid easy that even on my worse fatigue days I can still make them. So while I would LOVE to be able to lower the amount of overly processed foods I eat, I just don't see it happening for the time being. I figure cooking this stuff at home is still better then ordering in.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,939 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Any chance of cooking up a batch a day where you're feeling up to it, then portioning and freezing with little labels (as Laurie has discovered freeze resistant labels are really important in this process unless you use marker friendly freezer bags). At that point you could just nuke and have the stuff on a bad day!
  • Athijade
    Options
    Any chance of cooking up a batch a day where you're feeling up to it, then portioning and freezing with little labels (as Laurie has discovered freeze resistant labels are really important in this process unless you use marker friendly freezer bags). At that point you could just nuke and have the stuff on a bad day!

This is my long term plan, but I have WAY too much in the freezer atm to fit anything. So my short term plan is to eat out of the freezer as much as possible and not stock it right back up. Which is hard when you keep finding deals. Chuck roast is 3.99 a lb again this week and I am SO tempted to get another (I have one in the freezer already). But I could use one of them to make some beef stew which would then freeze well...

And I didn't eat the planned meal last night. Will make it tonight.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    ... Laurie has discovered freeze resistant labels are really important ...

Laurie didn't make this discover - she just got lazy one day "decided" that some foods would remain readily reconizable :) I use the sharpie marker on dollar store tupperware technique usually. It scrubs off easily enough when you want to reuse the container.

• lauriekallis
    Options
    Sometimes you just gotta do what you can, Athijade. But no point in stocking a freezer full of foods you don't have the energy to cook. That could end up leaving you feeling bad and berating yourself :(
  • PAV8888
    Options
    I vote Chuck straight into the slow cooker and then refrozen ones cook er ed or whatever word Google doesn't feel like writing in the rain!🤷‍♂️
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options
    2 soft (jammy) hard boiled eggs with a sliver of butter, salt and pepper
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    That sounds almost solid, Flying Nic!!!
  • Athijade
    Options
    I think I am gonna grab a small chuck roast this week so I can make beef stew. I have many stew recipes for the slow cooker so it will for sure be one of those. Hopefully that will make it easier for me to get the energy to make it. Eat off it a few days and then freeze what is left. Will be easy to thaw and reheat later on.

And now I am sick again so who the heck knows what I am going to do about food.
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Hope you feel better Athijade! Maybe the new doctor will help you get some answers.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options
    Today we met at a Mexican restaurant for a work Christmas get together. I was able to eat aboit 2tsbp of refried beans with what I would guess to be half a tablespoon of sour cream, in tiny nibbles. Add an unsweet tea with one sweetener and a good squeeze of lemon. (no I didn't have them together, we were at the restaurant aboit 2 hrs).
  • Yoolypr
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Green salad with green onion, cucumber, tomato topped with 6 oz shrimp. Lo cal dressing.
  • PAV8888
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Are you in a heat wave again Yooly???? I am hitting some of the Crave dinners I got on that sale last month plus a bag of veggies... plus gift chocolate quality control... throw in a slice of bread or two and that pretty much takes care of all calories for the day (especially the quality control issue)
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    No heat wave here PAV - well maybe for folks in the great white north? Pretty much 60s by day and 40s at night.

Is this gift chocolate gifted to you or chocolate you are supposed to gift to others? Dangerous either way. 🫤. Much like my gift cookies. The faster I get them out to the recipients the better. Although, I know there will be sampling.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Drove a friend to pick up a few things yesterday (my new found car is sometimes a gift for our neighbourhood - after a decade without a car I share with my carless friends on those "heavy" shopping days.)

He needed to pick up paint for his living room and liquor and beer for holiday festivities planned in the next few weeks. He offered to buy me lunch - but I wisely declined since I had portions of food in the fridge planned out for the next few days. So he opted to pick up takeout for himself.

Me and the pup planned to hang out in the car while he popped in and out. First stop was the paint store, then take out, then the liquor store (that was the best geographical order).

You can guess what happened already.

Last stop was the liquor store - he went in and after a few moments I thought maybe I would pick up some wine for Christmas...so I went in after him and we had fun looking at all the crazy craft beers. Neither of us are real drinkers so the choosing was by origin and labels :)

Walking back to the car he said "I hope Laine didn't eat my dinner."

I had completely forgotten about the food.

Sweet pup was sitting in the front seat waiting for us - big Chinese food takeout container on the floor - but no sign of the rice and noodles plus three sides dinner for two other than a few grains of rice in the grooves off the floor mat.

So back to the food court building. And this time I broke down and went in for dinner too :) Falafel and garden salad on red cabbage, a side of rice, plus hummus, plus tahini sauce, plus pita bread. Fortunately I only ate half yesterday. The other half is for today.

Pup showed no ill effects of her mid afternoon "treat" - just drank a lot of water the rest of the day and she still wanted her supper :) Lots of sodium in her meal!

• PAV8888
    Options
    😳😱 I hope you have lots of baggies! 🤷‍♂️