Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    Turns out she was completely okay???!!!!! Seems very excited to go for car rides now though :)
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,940 Member
    Options
    especially with your friend... for grocery shopping... I understand!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    She is not a silly girl. Has her priorities straight :)
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,567 Member
    Options
    Potato leek and chicken soup. Light and tasty.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Supper tonight was a mistake. I was really craving something sweet and starchy and was going to head out and buy a treat of some sort. Then I remembered a box of Bisquick in the back of my pantry. (A friend bought it a few months ago when they came for pancakes and I wisely hid it - out of sight out of mind). I thought that would be better than going out to buy a treat. When I logged dinner I see that one of those single oatmeal cookies - or a little one serving pie would have been a much wiser choice. And that it what I avoided :( I don't often eat pancakes so didn't realize just how bad they are on the calorie front. Lesson learned.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Pancake or two... Or box of pancakes?
    With or without liquid sugar? With or without err fats?🧐😀
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,990 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Soup sounds great but can’t get into it when the weather is pushing 70 degrees. Want me some cold and rain at least.

I went out with a friend yesterday for Thai food. It’s a place we have not been to since pre-covid. What a disappointment! 🥺. I ordered Pad Thai which was somewhat greasy and flavorless. Looked like yesterday’s stale noodles reheated badly. Unfortunately I had skipped meals to budget calories for going out and it was $15. Friends meal looked fresh.

Anyway I ended up eating the mess rather than fuss and spoil the meetup with my friend. We only see each other a few times a year. I should have boxed it up a tossed it at home! Yuck - I want a calorie refund. Never going back there. And hope to never eat a calorific sub par meal like that again.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    lol - PAV this was dinner. A pancake or two wouldn't quite do it. Used just shy a cup of Bisquick - made 6 smallish pancakes - pup had one - the Bisquick mix alone was 400 calories plus an egg, plus some milk (for that protein boost) and a dab of butter and maple syrup :( wasn't trying have a diet version of pancakes - but the calories in the mix were a bit unexpected.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    What a lunchbag let down, Yooly. :(
  • PAV8888
    Options
    The calorie refund request is real!!!!😺 Subpar needles should be banned.

Your $15 level (cad$20-$22 here) seems to be becoming the norm here for any meal item at basic restaurants

And unless McD's increases their lower cost offerings they will lose me for anything other than vanilla cones. They are getting a little bit too greedy with their current price increases
  • PAV8888
    Options
    subpar noodles should ALSO be banned... just saying!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    0udlsge1f2mr.jpg

Folks in my neighbourhood aren't thrilled by either
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,990 Member
    Options
    But the bottom line of the subpar Thai noodle experience is that I should have simply boxed up most of it for disposal at home. Why did I eat it at all? I know better than to waste calories on bad food. Unfortunately my inner appeaser caved and tried to make it a pleasant visit with my friend without fussing about the food.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Than maybe that is okay, Yooly? Occassionally it won't really play a big role in maintaining your weight - but might keep your life more pleasant?
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Making a big pot of beef stew in the slow cooker today. Hope it turns out good cause I kinda just took a bunch of recipes and threw it together. Beef cubes, potatoes, carrots, onion, onion powder, garlic powder, thyme, tomato paste, worcestershire sauce, beef stock, salt, and pepper. I will add peas and thicken it up a little before serving. Fingers crossed!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Good for you, Athijade! Sounds like several nutritious meals.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    It sounds like something I would enjoy eating. Though I am not sure why peas would thicken it up. Peas good and good source of protein on their own. Relatively high calorie. Cute as a button especially the baby baby ones. But how thicken?

MMMMMMMMM stew. I am LIKING the idea 'Jade!!!!! If you're just going for color, cut green beans may be a lower cal option than peas. Broccoli cut into a state of disintegration might make things thicker? Same with zucchini I guess though water shedding may be an issue with zoo! OH well.... running along now before I destroy what sounds like a really nice meal without my "additions"!!!!

:smiley:
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    But how thicken?

I'm guessing "and thicken it up" rather than "to thicken it up" means that 'Jade will be adding something else - a thickener of sorts? Flour? Cornstarch? Eye of Newt?
  • lauriekallis
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Different (for me) supper tonight. Picked up a box of Zatarain's Jambalaya Mix rice - cooked up the box, had 1/3 of that plus 1/3 a block of firm tofu panfried in a little coconut oil. Pretty good!!! Filling. Lived it up a bit with a tablespoon of sour cream to temper the heat of Sriracha :) 505 calories - so up there but manageable and tasty and different. I'm guessing the sodium is pretty high though.

Could easily add some veggies to the mix - but had it with a blueberry/beet/spinach smoothie so figured the bunnies were covered.

Another bonus - two nights dinner in the fridge :)
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    But how thicken?

I'm guessing "and thicken it up" rather than "to thicken it up" means that 'Jade will be adding something else - a thickener of sorts? Flour? Cornstarch? Eye of Newt?

You are correct. I used a cornstarch slurry to thicken it, though I couldn't quite get it as thick as I wanted. So when I heat up some leftovers tonight, I will do so on the stove and make a new slurry to add. Then hopefully it will be how I like it.

It was also a bit greasy, so gonna skim some of that off now that it has cooled in the fridge. I think that was due to using a chuck roast and not trimming it as well as I should have.

Was yummy though overall!