Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,269 Member
    Options
    Tonight will be burgers, corn on the cob, and mac and cheese.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I think my 20yo daughter and I are going out to have breakfast for dinner at a diner.
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,717 Member
    Options
    I can't remember :) lol Yeah, just did. Not good. No real dinner, just some junk :(
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options
    Han steaks and scalloped potatoes
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,955 Member
    Options
    I’ll have what Nics having. Unfortunately it’s more like Laurie’s menu. 😣
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options
    We added some canned green beans too
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,870 Member
    Options
    Hmmm..... what are we tackling here?

crap crap and crap? :blush:

1,160 Cal in TV dinners (one was a bomb at 680 Cal, the other crappy quality but just 380)
    412 in "healthy crap: 177 in frozen veggies, 235 in veggies with quinoa and brown rice by giants who are green)
    345 in candy bars and chocolates
    156 in bread products
    92 in light hot chocolate (or does it go with candy bars in which case they would exceed veggies?)
    15 in coffee

And that's it so far!!!!
    Dangerous because early... and I only have some veggies in the bank!
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Yup - just eating WHATEVER. I need to do more planning and logging. Although surprisingly my weight is down. My meals are crappy so I grab snacks through the day. Is it balancing out? Am I eating less than I think?
    The bottom line is I’m not eating well. My nutrition is not good. Can’t keep blaming the heat and lack of time.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Yup - need to get your nutrition up too - BUT - wow - look at you doing amazingly well on the CICO front!

I think the hot chocolate should stay in its own lane, PAV - so that the Healthy Crap stays in second place.

What are "Han" steaks?? or maybe that is a typo? Around here I learn so much about food I haven't heard of before that I don't assume anything :)

I did a bit better on the supper front yesterday - was about to run out the door to pickup a carpet I bought online - unfed :) - but made myself make myself some real food. A bowl of leftover "brothy beans" which I jazzed up with some red chili paste and a spoonful of peanut butter, and a simple salad - the last of the field greens in the fridge and half an English cucumber - both saved from the compost bin today. Only took 5 minutes to prepare, and a few minutes (and games of online scrabble :) ) to eat. Half an hour later, I walked out the door all nourished and only a little late. :)

I'm almost finished my furniture shopping for the Harbour Grace house - I'm so excited (and a bit nervous) - time is going so quickly :)
  • Athijade
    Options
    Did a loaded baked potato last night. While I do some of the fun stuff like butter, sour cream, and cheese, I measure them all out and add broccoli. So it ends up not being too bad and it is REALLY filling.

I will be doing the same tonight.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options
    Oh, totally a typo. Ham steaks, lol
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Salad today with tomatoes 🍅, green onion, cucumber 🥒, dash of low cal dressing and 4 small slices of Canadian bacon. Oh - and a couple of Wasa crackers. Pretty low calorie to make up for a day of hit and run eating. I think I’m within my deficit limits based on logging but measuring wasn’t totally accurate.

Wonder why it’s called “Canadian” bacon?
  • PAV8888
    edited May 29
    Options
    OK Laurie (and BCLady) and other canuckleheads "alert".

Maybe I'm missing something but I think this is pretty good if you normally use any of that stuff. Careful on the dressings because most regular type are NOT included. And I'm not sure if "light" options are included... This was at SAFEWAY -- not sure if it is also on at other Sobey properties.

But I DID stock up on 340g coffee and jars of classico pasta sauce at very good effective prices.... and I've also noticed that the signs have disappeared discretely at this time when some of the items on the list are already sale priced...

Basically price on shelf stands, scene point promotions work, and if you buy any 5 items from the list you get a straight $10 taken off the bottom of your bill, as far as I can tell automatically at the till (without a promo card scan).

I was at over 55% saved on both coffee and pasta sauce day AND got a bunch of points on top.

wdum123d8c3g.png
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Sounds like you scored major savings, PAV!!!! Thank you for the heads up.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Yooly - I'm not sure why because what is referred to as Canadian Bacon in the US is something I've never eaten here. The closest I can see is something my family ate when I was younger - peameal bacon - but peameal bacon is not precooked like ham or Canadian Bacon is.

But - I haven't eaten meat in a long time - maybe things changed :) though I don't know of any meat eating friends who buy or order "Canadian Bacon" either
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    had to look around a bit. It seems most people up here have no connection to "Canadian Bacon" and perhaps peameal bacon is strictly on Ontario thing ?! Who knew :)

Peameal bacon is pork loin rolled in corn meal.

Here are some pictures - as you would buy peameal bacon at the store (in a big chunk you slice yourself) - and how you might find it served.
    asjpm6k36kcm.jpg
    0t4b69k9t7ql.jpg

• lauriekallis
    Options
    Lots of information here - even compares peameal bacon to Canadian Bacon (also notes that it isn't Canadian at all!) :)
    Okay - this vegetarian will step away from the Canadian Bacon conversation now :)
  • Athijade
    Options
    Tonight is beef bulgogi (frozen from Trader Joe's), rice, and stir fried veggies. I have some fresh Bok Choy along with a bag of frozen stir fry mix so will do it all together.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options
    Tonight is airfried chicken tenderloins (no breading). They will marinate in buffalo sauce and just a little mayonnaise (helps it stick). I made myself some ranch dip for it (2tbsp 2% Greek Yogurt, 1tbsp 2% fairlife milk and 1tsp hidden valley ranch seasoning. For sides I'll cook up some freezer fries and some veggies (I have to peruse the freezer)
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Go for a 2:1 --> they make some carrots, parsnips, and can't remember now... beets all of them in stick form and coated... heat in oven for "veggie fries" :wink:

Canadian bacon is like gammon bacon with no tail ... at least that's my conclusion. Of course gammon bacon doesn't really exist around my neck of the woods.

Apparently it is not Canadian at all... just called that. Usually we call it back bacon or more recently canadian bacon... so it looks like we've caved though the french continue to be strong and don't call their fries french!