Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options
1314315316317318320»

Replies

• nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,563 Member
    Options
    @Adventurista I had a gastric sleeve in November, so while I am in the weight loss phase I am actually low carb and lowish fat too.
  • Adventurista
    Adventurista Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Ah, good for you. Hubby is considering.
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,985 Member
    edited June 23
    Options
    Yup PAV - all that but not central Texas. It’s a BIG state! East is wetter, south is more tropical, north a bit colder - but central is rocky soil. A big industry here is gravel production from the rocks! So yes much agricultural diversity just not in my backyard.
    Cacti are edible. i3i48ecbgkbe.jpeg
    You take the paddles, remove the nasty spines by hand and then slice and cook. Cactus - nopalitos - tastes a lot like green beans. I prefer to buy them ready to go in a jar at the grocery store. The red fruits called tunas are sweet and often used to make jelly.

I discussed gastric sleeve surgery with my doc when I was 50ish. I chickened out. I still wonder if I should have tried it and given myself 20 better years.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,934 Member
    Options
    Well I too chickened out! And still would! I was scared for nic for pete's sake.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options
    It took me a minute to figure out why you were scared for me Pav, then I found the context, lol.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options
    Yoolypr giving myself better years is what finally drove me to make the final decision. I was nearing my mid 40s, my husband and I want to have an active older life, traveling and such. Also, as a nurse I see so many unfit and deconditioned middle aged to older people and how it contributes to injury and poor recovery.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    So I made my first meal on the George Foreman grill last night. Had a... salad?.... bowl?... with mixed greens, grilled sweet potato, sautéed zucchini, avocado, grilled salmon, feta, and balsamic vinegarette.

Tonight I am making chicken parmesan, not breaded or fried and topped with some spinach, and spaghetti. May also steam some frozen broccoli but we will see how hungry I am.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Awesome sounding meals jade!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Nic the amount of complications always scared me and I'm also a rebel without a clue so never sure how I will react if I have something perceived to be imposed. Will I work with or against the imposition even if I know what I should do
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options
    Yeah, Pav, it took me a year after I first saw the bariatric surgeon to have the surgery because I had to really think on it
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options
    Chicken taco salad: grilled, season chicken thigh meat, lettuce, onion, Avocado, salsa, 2% Greek Yogurt, light cheese
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Chicken-like-salad-oid-ish!

300g 0% greek, 30g colemans hot english mustard, 111g plucked and cleaned rotisserie chicken sold for more money cold and 2days old than when it is sold hot and fresh (but then there would exist the drama of taking apart the chicken in front of an audience who shouldn't eat any), 200g matchstick carrots, 30g thinly sliced onion, 40g spicy green olives. Errr... mix everything together and eat! Crackers 26.4g /124Cal assisted the consumption. They were kept to a deliberate minimum. Not the greatest but not a terrible combo. carrot/yogurt was a bit too sweet might have been better with PC instead of liberte.
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    Sounds interesting, PAV. Did you match stick those carrots yourself????

The past couple nights I've had pan fried tofu... I've cooked it very slowly with just a spray in the pan ... And some soy sauce and a stirfry sauce that my daughter-in-law's mom has in the fridge. Last night it was with a whole assortment of vegetables tonight it was with mashed potatoes... Strange combination but The Boy Requested. Oh my goodness is good to be with him. ❤️❤️❤️
  • Creamtea42
    Creamtea42 Posts: 281 Member
    edited June 27
    Options
    Aw Laurie, I bet is so lovely having your Boy with you!

Has been great having Ben back from Taiwain -but jeepers, forgot how untidy he is! He is back to Uni soon - trying to be ultra patient!

Pulled chicken in harrisa with rice tonight, spinach type salad and toasted pine nuts …..
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Oh Oh Oh: chicken harissa rice sounds awesome!

pine nuts sound expensive! because they are not very hard to eat and they are not very spicy, thus they are too easy to down in quantity! And being high fat they are high calories... plus money wise too they're not the cheapest.

but really funny because I can certainly eat way more calories when going pine nuts > candied pistachios or peanuts > walnuts > cashews > pistachios > peanuts > almonds > filberts > slivered almonds (a bit approximate; but there's definitely a hierarchy!)

What's YOUR hierarchy of nut doom?
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Go boy with Laurie!!! :smiley:
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,985 Member
    edited June 27
    Options
    Nut hierarchy hmmmm. Garlic flavored macadamias > pecans > honey roasted peanuts> pistachios >pepitas ( not really a nut but tasty)>almonds> cashews>walnuts> Brazil nuts. Although honestly, I’ll happily overeat any nuts. I’m that way with cheese too.

How come all the tasty foods have sooooo many calories?

Supper today was a big salad with thin sliced steak. There was low fat ice cream afterward. Had some extra calories to play with from the gym this morning.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options
    I had a chicken smoked sausage chopped up and sauteed with leftover baby potatoes and diced onions and yellow peppers. Super tasty and filling.
  • Adventurista
    Adventurista Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Mmmm, agree on nuts. And cheese.

Brazil nuts, garlic, cranberry added for struggle with bladder/gut health management. Cheese for pure yum of it.
  • Creamtea42
    Creamtea42 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Love all nuts … stick to any plain, but ooh laa la….honey, roasted, salted or spiced does it too!