Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,553 Member
    Options
    So I lied. Tomorrow will be the chicken tenderloins. Tonight was taco salad. Lettuce, Pico De Gallo, reduced fat cheese and sour cream, lean ground beef with taco seasonings. 5 Tortilla Chips and a dab of homemade guacamole.

After dinner I had 3oz of strawberries diced, with 1 serving extra creamy cool whip.
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,978 Member
    Options
    Veggie pomme frites?
  • Adventurista
    Adventurista Posts: 733 Member
    edited June 3
    Options
    I have done sweet potato and butternut squash oven fries and panko dredged egg white breaded onion and bell pepper strips, and of course happy hour things like deep fried zuchini rounds, but have not tried to pomme fritte anything else.

Canadian bacon seems like ham to me. I've only encountered on pizzas with pineapple and egg breakfast sandwiches.

We recently smoked a turkey and a ham, finished in the oven. Using for all sorts of things. Will do split pea soup tomorrow with the ham bone.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,927 Member
    Options
    mmmmm.... split pea soup is GOOOOOD!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    veggie pommes frites IS a thing my Yoolie!

And unless I misremember, Loblaw's (the second link) brings them all the way from BELGIUM--maybe even the french speaking part for all I know!!!

https://www.mmfoodmarket.com/products/root-vegetable-fries

Carrots, Parsnips, Beets, High Oleic Sunflower Oil And/or Vegetable Oil, rice Flour, Modified Potato Starch, Sugars (potato Dextrin, Tapiocadextrin), Corn Starch, Sea Salt, Sodium Phosphate, Baking Soda, Xanthan gum, Paprika Extract, Turmeric Extract, Modified Cellulose, Citric Acid.

Ha! And they're at ALMOST THE OLD HIGH PRICE.... maybe I should go snatch some!!!

https://www.realcanadiansuperstore.ca/ready-veggie-fries-carrot-parsnip-beet/p/21398244_EA
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,730 Member
    Options
    I tried these last year, PAV - they were good - can't remember how I felt about the how worthy they were of the calories? Can't remember how big of a serving 85g is???
  • Creamtea42
    Creamtea42 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Pomme Frites sounds really good here! Food is staying down in small portions, but remains an issue staying in!
    Is great to be feeling better!
    Tonight having some roast chicken - did a lemon tarragon , whole with all the veggie trimmings as youngest son back from his year in Taiwan….,
    Smells amazing! Will see how it goes😉
    There will be plenty of leftovers, so going to make chicken soup with some of the leftovers & some broth!
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Bet you’re happy to have your boy home again Ms. Tea! No matter that they’re adults mamas miss their babies.

Also good to know you’re feeling better.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    I'm not gonna claim they're the best deal in town Laurie... I mean some coating etc. And you have to crisp them just right. But not bad at all if you're willing to ad-lib a bit. OF COURSE someone like yooly would make them from scratch in her air-frier with miniscule amounts of oil--u-huh!

Glad to hear Ms Tea is doing a bit better and that she has received wayward wanderer back into the fold. The areas in question seem to be percolating a bit too much for my liking...

• PAV8888
    edited June 4
    Options
    Laurie (and Ms BC) I was just sent today an unconscionably high priced (since being a bit slow I still consider $1.50 each to be excessively expensive and this is DOUBLE THAT) PATH to south of the border sugar free puddings!!!!

https://www.thelowcarbgrocery.com/catalog/kraft-pudding-pie-filling-g-121.html?prod_id=3619

Well... pistachio is out of stock but they do have cheesecake, lemon, and chocolate fudge. Free pickup from Markham or Burnaby, or Canada Post / Canpar costs, or free shipping for orders ranging from $69 (local) to $99 (canada wide)
  • Yoolypr
    edited June 4
    Options
    Bet you went for the free shipping PAV! Tell me that you didn’t buy $69 worth of puddings!

Nope I would not make veggies fries from scratch. Buy various veggies, peel, chop ….. too much effort. Easier to buy the frozen fries and shove them in the oven.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Thinking about it! 🤣

Just kidding. I regularly drive by that area too often to justify not picking up unless no price delta.
  • Adventurista
    edited June 5
    Options
    Veggie stuffed split pea soup for supper. The soup surprised me after browsing recipes with advice ranging between soak over night then cook 45m OR don't presoak and simmer 2 hours.

One recipe called to use a stick blender as it would thicken, another to include diced taters. So i cooked 45 min with sliced baby carrot rounds, then added diced potatoes and the ham another 45 mins.

The soup was pea green alright, tasted like split pea but the peas had cooked down to nothingness... it had a little creamy body to it, about the viscosity of cream maybe, but not even close to commercial canned soup... which come to think of it have large whole round peas. I used small split (halved) peas

But i liked it. Less cook time, potatoes go in at beginning. More peas, whole package instead of 1/2 pack.
  • PAV8888
    edited June 5
    Options
    I got jelly of your soup!

Base was Habitant french split pea soup (798ml can = 820g) with add ons (230g carrots, 233g baby potatoes, 100g buffalo style sausage). All nuked to perfection! Prep 6 min because of all the cutting and weighing. Cook time 11min with some time in between the two nuke sessions to chat on the phone. Plus 5 for evening re-heat.... so total cook time: 22 minutes! :lol:

Picture is of left overs for evening meal!

qrtqtshkxc8h.jpg

That said... would have been much better cooked from scratch!!! for realz!
  • PAV8888
    edited June 5
    Options
    I tried these last year, PAV - they were good - can't remember how I felt about the how worthy they were of the calories? Can't remember how big of a serving 85g is???

Laurie? Which group are we in here? I can understand questions along the lines of how many calories for a bag? MAYBE on RARE occasions for HALF a bag?

I believe 85g servings were invented by under appreciated teachers who wanted to ensure their pupils remembered them fondly when doing involved math such as: 500/85*100 = about 590, probably close to 600 Cal per bag :wink: I would eyeball plain veggies at about 200 Cal for the weight (carrots are 41, beets 43, turnips 28 per 100g). So 3x the calories of plain veg!
  • lauriekallis
    edited June 5
    Options
    I know that I ate significantly more than 85g in my serving ... but can't remember how much more :)

Adventurista - I just recently gave upa weekly Green soup - basically green split pea with lots of other green vegetables. Made it every Sunday for almost two years! My younger son came over and we traded 7 jars of green soup for 7 bottles of purple smoothies that he makes :)

Everyday staples - green soup and beet/blueberry/spinach smoothie. But - he started getting gas from the dried split peas and when I switched to whole frozen peas he wasn't keen on all the plastic packaging.

Strangely enough I find myself longing for green soup :) Your post has inspired me to make a pot this week.

Our recipe included a full bag of split peas, some frozen green peas, kale, lots of broccoli, asparagus, celery and I did allow onion in there even though it wasn't green :)
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    I got jelly of your soup!

Base was Habitant french split pea soup (798ml can = 820g) with add ons (230g carrots, 233g baby potatoes, 100g buffalo style sausage). All nuked to perfection! Prep 6 min because of all the cutting and weighing. Cook time 11min with some time in between the two nuke sessions to chat on the phone. Plus 5 for evening re-heat.... so total cook time: 22 minutes! :lol:

Picture is of left overs for evening meal!

qrtqtshkxc8h.jpg

That said... would have been much better cooked from scratch!!! for realz!

That looks pretty good, PAV! You chopped!!!!!!!!!
  • Yoolypr
    edited June 5
    Options
    Laurie- I’ve always added a teaspoon of baking soda when soaking or cooking dried beans. Reduces the PH and speeds up cooking time. Less gas production. Could work for split peas maybe?

Baking soda might have a mild after taste/salt factor mentioned by some cooks. I use very little and have never detected an off taste.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,553 Member
    Options
    1/3 pack of Precooked roast beef and Au just, plus 5.5oz white button mushrooms cooked down in the jus
  • Adventurista
    Options
    Sounds delish @nicsflyingcircus

Love quick'n easy, pop a can, stuff, heat & eat. Looks good @PAV8888 .

I tried the baking soda with a mixed bean soup, it worked well @Yoolypr