Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Your tuna casserole recipe? that sounds interesting Connie! .... of course... you know what's coming.... do you think it would be better with butternut, zucchini, or beet-root spirals (noodles)? I'm thinking probably not butternut and beet-root may be too sweet... so this is a natural one for the next zucchini trial! :smiley:

Just use regular NOODLES!….SMH…..it doesn’t need “ fixed “

Yes - @PAV8888 - zuchinni noodles and what can I use instead of the tuna???? >:)

I just went off hunting on Google for protein options - saw several with beans - but think they will bring a distinct flavour that won't fit. Saw tofu - but I'm not a big tofu fan unless it is deep fried : ) I'm going to try used some cottage cheese instead. Lots of protein - should be kinda fun baked in the oven! If it works, I'll add a recipe to the new thread you created Connie. "The Vegetarian *kitten* Child of Connie's Tuna Casserole" :p

Poutine curds or paneer or halloumi (saving on the extra cheese)? Oh Connie will hate our ***kitten*** for what we're planning for her casserole!

Yves also makes a crumble that I actually found tastyish albeit a bit high in sodium and calories at the time

I do not nor do I want to know what Poutine Curds or paneer or halloumi are…
    Do you all ever eat plain basic food?
    I bet cereal is a challenge!
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    We are having steamed fresh cauliflower with cheese and baked potatoes with light sour cream and a salad….a plain basic salad with light dressing on it!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,618 Member
    Options
    You're pointing lights at your salad???!!😇 😛

All bran buds are excellent..... Ok: they're crunchy and/or weirdly structured in an interesting way of left to absorb liquid first!!!!

I'm partial to Hershey kisses cereal. Goes well in yogurt in addition to all bran!

Nature path/kirkland granola is a problem best left at the store unless I have loads of extra calories in the budget!🤷🏻‍♂️

I tend to not to eat the milder cheeses I propose to Laurie above because I try to only use cheese that is sharp and tasty and can be used as an accent for a smaller quantity reducing the overall hit on the budget!
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,624 Member
    Options
    Your tuna casserole recipe? that sounds interesting Connie! .... of course... you know what's coming.... do you think it would be better with butternut, zucchini, or beet-root spirals (noodles)? I'm thinking probably not butternut and beet-root may be too sweet... so this is a natural one for the next zucchini trial! :smiley:

Yes - @PAV8888 - zuchinni noodles and what can I use instead of the tuna???? >:)

I just went off hunting on Google for protein options - saw several with beans - but think they will bring a distinct flavour that won't fit. Saw tofu - but I'm not a big tofu fan unless it is deep fried : ) I'm going to try some cottage cheese instead. Lots of protein - should be kinda fun baked in the oven! If it works, I'll add a recipe to the new thread you created Connie. "The Vegetarian *kitten* Child of Connie's Tuna Casserole" :p

Poutine curds or paneer or halloumi (saving on the extra cheese)? Oh Connie will hate our ***kitten*** for what we're planning for her casserole!

Yves also makes a crumble that I actually found tastyish albeit a bit high in sodium and calories at the time

I love the idea of paneer!

And...I can't believe Connie hasn't come to give us heck yet! She must be having a day.
  • conniewilkins56
    Options

I just went off hunting on Google for protein options - saw several with beans - but think they will bring a distinct flavour that won't fit. Saw tofu - but I'm not a big tofu fan unless it is deep fried : ) I'm going to try used some cottage cheese instead. Lots of protein - should be kinda fun baked in the oven! If it works, I'll add a recipe to the new thread you created Connie. "The Vegetarian *kitten* Child of Connie's Tuna Casserole" :p

Laurie, see above…..you missed it!…..lol
  • lauriekallis
    edited June 2021
    Options

Laurie, see above…..you missed it!…..lol

lol! I was out in the sun a lot today!

I love this group. XOXO Who'd of thought losing weight could be so much fun?! :D
  • eliezalot
    eliezalot Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Well I survived the drive out here! I was a few hundred calories over maintenance, but all things considered, not too bad for 12 hours of driving!

Yesterday I had some plain yogurt with fruit and honey for breakfast, a big turkey sandwich for lunch, and the whole family was over to grill for dinner. My husband bought me some Quorn patties (which have the exact taste and texture of chicken patties!), so I didn't have to feel weird about avoiding burgers and hotdogs. What I avoided in saturated fat from red meat I made up for in ice cream for dessert. Worth it.

Today my MIL fixed eggs for breakfast, and we had leftovers for lunch. I made my last two Quorn patties with some fruit and veggies on the side.

No idea what is for supper tonight, but I'm planning on leaving room for more ice cream, saturated fats be *kitten*.
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    I tried my bag of frozen Green Giant Zoodles Zuchinni with Prego spaghetti sauce on them…they were OK…..not many zoodles in there but only 60 calories in the entire bag….don’t think I would buy them again unless I kept them for a back up in case I needed a really low calorie meal….real pasta tastes a whole lot better!
  • PAV8888
    edited June 2021
    Options
    I tried my bag of frozen Green Giant Zoodles Zuchinni with Prego spaghetti sauce on them…they were OK…..not many zoodles in there but only 60 calories in the entire bag….don’t think I would buy them again unless I kept them for a back up in case I needed a really low calorie meal….real pasta tastes a whole lot better!

Connie! The problem is the Prego--not the Zoodles!!! PREGO!?!?! It's like... industrial! :disappointed:
  • PAV8888
    edited June 2021
    Options
    SAUSAN!!!! UGH! Who said I wanted white beans in tomato sauce and rice? WHO? Do I ever cook this stuff?! NO. Why? Because tomorrow.... tomorrow.... oh tomorrow!!!!!!!

(bbq lighter... NOT MATCH if you value your eyebrows!)

[ps: I am not sure why a Syrian Kurd lady would be called S-a-ou-san with an "au" instead of Susan with a "u" but that's the label she arrived with!!!!]
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    AlexandraFindsHerself1971 Posts: 3,106 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow is chicken patty sandwiches, and thank all the gods the bacon they like on theirs is already cooked and in the refrigerator. Dinner is moroccan lamb stew, and the only thing I have to do is pan-sear some squash since Boyfriend can't eat the seasoned rice with Girlfriend and I. It's leftover from when I made the stew, and this will use it up tidily.
  • conniewilkins56
    Options

Connie! The problem is the Prego--not the Zoodles!!! PREGO!?!?! It's like... industrial! :disappointed:

I love Prego lol…..and it is so easy to make!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Prego with white beans! On rice! WOohoO.
  • Janatki
    Janatki Posts: 730 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Mornin’
    Was homemade pizza & chips last night!
    Stayed within calories, despite MFP taking another 40 from me! Bloomin’ price of weight loss 😂
    Starting to need to think about switching down foodstuffs to lower calories and alternatives, & get more exercise…🥴 in or will start to be going off MFP allowance!
    Recipe books & pen this weekend!

That tuna casserole recipe sounds good and an alternative to my usual tuna pasta bake - usually loaded with far too much cheese!

Had to look up Poutine! Wow! I presume you mean without the gravy & chips! … though that looks amazing on the pics I’ve seen!
    People have cheesy chips & gravy here, but not too my fancy! Waste of cheddar to me!

Prego - not on internet! Italian sauce?! 😬🤭

Tonight is quorn stir fry here! Easy Peasy! …will make sauce, but that is about it! Quorn & veg from freezer …Is just too hot to do too much in kitchen …. Next week will have to take care of itself!
    Will be using egg noodles as (getting it in quietly) courgetti / zuchinni is cr*p! Too soggy! 🤢…..

On an aside, as baking is my passion, it’s Father’s Day tomorrow & boys have asked I make OH his fav cake …. Coffee & walnut!
    That is my fav cake batter, so will have to resist hard to not lick the spoon & scrape out the bowl 😄. This may not end well!

Glad it’s the weekend …. Not going very far, just a quiet weekend around house… online food shop & delivery … bit of gardening & gentle walks with dog … bliss (hopefully!)

Have a good’ un everyone!

Edited for spelling! Bloomin’ autocorrect - drives me mad! 😂
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Have an assortment of green odds and ends in the fridge that will hopefully come together nicely when sprinkled with crumbled feta and served alongside scrambled eggs (2 whole eggs - 75g egg whites! :) liberally doused with sriracha) and a roasted sweet potato for dinner tonight.

Yesterday things sort of fell apart but it was a restful rejuvenating kinda of day, and tomorrow is our second family Father's Day celebration (we planned for last weekend - then realized it wasn't Father's Day, but carried on anyway) and that is going to be a hellish day on the calories front - but a whole heck of a lot of fun.

Some 58-year-old man named Mike decided it was a good idea to open a pie shop - Mikey's Cream Pies - in the former pot shop storefront :D around the corner from my son's house, in the middle of a pandemic. Mikey's Cream Pies have been a bit too much fun the past two weeks and will continue to be tomorrow and next weekend for son number 2's birthday. So, I'll try to compensate by squeezing in a few good calorie deficit days between the Cream Pie days.
  • amart4224
    amart4224 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Laurie, I can relate to the pie temptation! I'm heading to my parents' house for the weekend and have already been informed that there is a chocolate mousse pie waiting to be enjoyed.... just as there has been the last three times I've visited! But I plan to have a small slice and otherwise stick to lower cal options. We'll be doing steaks and veggies for a Father's Day meal so that should fit in nicely.
  • eliezalot
    eliezalot Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Janatki wrote: »
    Mornin’
    Was homemade pizza & chips last night!
    Stayed within calories, despite MFP taking another 40 from me! Bloomin’ price of weight loss 😂
    Starting to need to think about switching down foodstuffs to lower calories and alternatives, & get more exercise…🥴 in or will start to be going off MFP allowance!
    Recipe books & pen this weekend!

That tuna casserole recipe sounds good and an alternative to my usual tuna pasta bake - usually loaded with far too much cheese!

Had to look up Poutine! Wow! I presume you mean without the gravy & chips! … though that looks amazing on the pics I’ve seen!
    People have cheesy chips & gravy here, but not too my fancy! Waste of cheddar to me!

Prego - not on internet! Italian sauce?! 😬🤭

Tonight is quorn stir fry here! Easy Peasy! …will make sauce, but that is about it! Quorn & veg from freezer …Is just too hot to do too much in kitchen …. Next week will have to take care of itself!
    Will be using egg noodles as (getting it in quietly) courgetti / zuchinni is cr*p! Too soggy! 🤢…..

On an aside, as baking is my passion, it’s Father’s Day tomorrow & boys have asked I make OH his fav cake …. Coffee & walnut!
    That is my fav cake batter, so will have to resist hard to not lick the spoon & scrape out the bowl 😄. This may not end well!

Glad it’s the weekend …. Not going very far, just a quiet weekend around house… online food shop & delivery … bit of gardening & gentle walks with dog … bliss (hopefully!)

Have a good’ un everyone!

Edited for spelling! Bloomin’ autocorrect - drives me mad! 😂

It is thanks to these forums that I discovered Quorn. Had never heard of it before! That stuff is good. Bonus, it is fast to cook up!

Also, coffee and walnut cake sounds fabulous!
  • PAV8888
    edited June 2021
    Options
    @in house brits I am soooooo jelly about you guys having Quorn available. Still haven't seen any in the wet coast!

Not so jelly about getting Prego at my age whether from Florida or locally 😛😹

I much prefer getting Classico or the occasional Newman's own (sockarooni) and dumping it over additional ingredients such as onions garlic and random veggies instead of using plain tomato sauce!

Poutine curds (the cheese part of the poutine) has a whole Canadian subculture worshipping specific ones especially in Quebec.

To me it is all a bland chewy waste of calories drowned in gravy, but I am a Johny come lately computer nerd who will be renounced by the multitude of Quebecois trappers and lumberjacks in our midst! 😛

Walnut cake and pie are evil. Probably not as evil as brownie cheesecake. The good part is that it's no longer inhabiting my fridge. The bad part I'm sure you can guess 🤷🏻‍♂️

Lunch with unrelated non household friends at a restaurant today??????!!!!!!!!! I am approaching with trepidation that has nothing to do with the menu!