Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,617 Member
    Options
    After the crazy father's day noshing - I felt inspired to make something healthier, which I'd like to call Connie's Vegetable and White Bean Stew :p Cannellini beans, lots of veggies - sweet potato, red skinned potatoes, head of cauliflower, tomatoes, bunch of kale, green beans, chunks of corn on the cob, onion, garlic, celery, some basil/oregano/rosemary from the garden, olive oil - all lightly stewed. Really pretty tasty and since it was one of those things that overflowed from a very large saucepan to another good-sized saucepan, there will be enough for 7 more meals! (about 400 calories each).

Sounds PURRRRRFECT! And you can warm it up easy! I wonder if it could even be eaten cold! (ugh: beans Laurie! :naughty: ) And yes, emergency transfer to a larger pot/pan is always a challenge as you add stuff!!!!
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,620 Member
    Options
    Would probably be good cold after a walk in the heat! Especially the BEANS! Very little greasy stuff in it so it won't have that weird tongue-coating effect. Will try tomorrow and report back.
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    AlexandraFindsHerself1971 Posts: 3,106 Member
    Options
    Today is hot Italian Beef sandwiches and Arroz Con Pollo. I can't get that at restaurants any more; the rice is way too salty for my tastes. I'm looking forward to it.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,244 Member
    Options
    Janatki wrote: »
    I have knackered the muscle in my calf - in agony and only bit way through a walk! No walking for me for a bit now -rest and ice! Jess is going to drive me nuts with her badgering to go for a run 😣

You may want to get that checked out. Depending what you did and how bad, it could have long term damage if it is not treated correctly. Ask me how I know... ugh. I still can't really run because of a strain (aka tear) of the calf muscle years ago. I had to do over a year of healing and PT. It was a high second degree strain. A third degree would have been a full tear of the muscle. Mine was about 3/4 of the way through. So no surgery, but a long time in a boot, with fear of compartment syndrome and blood clots, and even longer with crutches and a cane. Even with all the PT, the scar tissue has caused problems.

Last night I had a turkey burger with jalapenos and queso fresco mixed in, topped with avocado and tomato. Oh, and an ear of corn on the side.

Tonight is a ribeye, baked potato, and roasted zucchini.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Athijade wrote: »
    Janatki wrote: »
    Even with all the PT, the scar tissue has caused problems.

Same problem - from ? 7 ? years ago. Not getting those calf muscles right back to full strength ended up in me tripping over a problematic bit of sidewalk - first time back to work in steel toe boots - resulting in an uprooted meniscus, torn MCL and messed up hip. And still problems with the scar tissue - right at this moment!

:s

• lauriekallis
    Options
    For dinner tonight? Nothing other than "Connie's Vegetable and White Bean Stew" :)
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    Not sure what we are having….definitely not what Laurie is having or anything PAV invents!….I took grandaughter went with me to the store and she drove me nuts…didn’t get 1/3 of what I went for….I will come up with something!
  • Janatki
    Janatki Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Bad, bad headache today! Had to take 1/2 day off & went to bed! Woke up starving & ate corned beef sarnie with Branston pickle & onion! Not the best of dinners! Everyone else had had butcher’s quarterpounders & chips, as cooked by OH! Happy all around!
  • eliezalot
    eliezalot Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Apparently we are having hot dogs tonight. I hate hot dogs. I have always hated hot dogs. I have hated them even more since the time I got sick after eating one and got to re-experience it every hour. Conveniently, my new lower-fat, less red meat diet just doesn't have room for them! Husband is going to the grocery store with his mom to pick me out something different. :relieved:
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Are you into mushrooms? Some portobello mushrooms on the grill are always good! Or any veggie, tbh, from baby potatoes to eggplant or zucchini or (relatively) high calorie corn.... hmmmm......
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    I went back to the store!….we had Italian sausage and a great salad with feta cheese…..
  • Janatki
    Options
    I think so too @athjade & @lauriekallis - falling apart here! GP check up next week re BP! Will bring this up! Calf issues over the last few months, different pain, but probably related … lack of exercise during lockdowns & being so overweight!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Very tightly wrapped (good job by downstairs Sawsan) dolmas! That would be just about 200g of crisped vine leafs that were stuffed with a mixture of rice, some minced meat (hamburger south of the 49th parallel), parsley like green stuff, and spices!

I am losing the battle of them bringing food up all the time and me not being able to retaliate fast enough in spite of getting them with a frozen blueberry cheesecake the other day and a box of medjool dates today!

re: injuries... skylar dunked me to the ground at the cost of skinned hole below the knee and hurting tibia plus assorted scrapes... and then doubled down when she zoomed past me downslope and I landed on my *kitten* coming slipping over a pine nut or loose earth--though that was more a sit down than anything... funny part is the sit-down was no injuries and the hurt paw stayed in the air the whole time during the touch/sit down... but the jarring actually caused more hurt on said tibia than to the actual rest of it! Luckily things seem to be getting better after a few days and I will almost be ready for fresh breakage in a day or two.... obviously either event could have ended up much worse which shows you that walking is effing DANGEROUS!!!!!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    And dogs are effing DANGEROUS!!!!! Though impossible to live without. <3

Glad you are on the mend.

• Janatki
    Options
    @lauriekallis - could do with you to be the positive voice on my shoulder! 🧡 Thank you!
    Tonight is pesto with tagliatelle… got a bumper crop of sweet basil … did slip with the seeds!
    Good job pesto freezes well!
    Today I think dogs are a pain in th effing neck ….well this certain red cocker certainly is🤬
  • Janatki
    Options
    eliezalot wrote: »
    Apparently we are having hot dogs tonight. I hate hot dogs. I have always hated hot dogs. I have hated them even more since the time I got sick after eating one and got to re-experience it every hour. Conveniently, my new lower-fat, less red meat diet just doesn't have room for them! Husband is going to the grocery store with his mom to pick me out something different. :relieved:

No I don’t like hot dogs! Rubbery texture! Greasy Pork banger sarnie …now😍
  • amart4224
    amart4224 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Spinach and ricotta ravioli sprinkled with a little grated Asiago cheese, and chocolate covered strawberries for dessert 😋
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Blue menu meat lasagna (it's just under 1100 Cal for the whole 1.15kg, split it in two (post heating) 475g portions, minus some lickings for Skylar! With a large 270 coleslaw / 230 tomatoes / 75 pickled cucumbers / 50 mixed pickled peppers tarragon vinegar salad for that late lunch portion. Keeping the rest for tonight. Assorted cliff bars for candy (one so far)