Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• Janatki
    Janatki Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I picked up an eggplant - tonight - maybe even this afternoon ... wait for it Connie ... Eggplant French Toast!!!! The savoury kind today (forgot the maple syrup) - maybe some crumbled feta, with a little splash of sriracha and some snippets of fresh chives....woohoo!

This does sound good! Though I didn’t know what an egg plant was! What type of oil are you going to fry it in? Love traditional version of this, so will be interested in what you think!
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    Ewwwwww

On the better side, we are having salad ( of course! ) meatloaf, mashed potatoes, and peas!
  • eliezalot
    eliezalot Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Breakfast was avocado toast with Just Egg (pea protein fake egg that I can cook in the toaster...pretty good!)
    Lunch was 2 packets of tuna with some Greek yogurt, and a post-lunch snack of an apple, and yogurt-pb2 dip.
    Supper is going to be lentil sloppy joes with a side of green beans and maybe coleslaw.

Husband suggested we do a grocery run so I can pick up some approved road trip snacks for our drive out to Michigan, so we'll do that this afternoon. Popcorn, maybe some crispy chick peas?, apples, individual yogurt containers...any other suggestions? I'm less worried about calories (I can count those pretty well by now), but want to keep the saturated fats down.
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,626 Member
    Options
    eliezalot wrote: »
    Breakfast was avocado toast with Just Egg (pea protein fake egg that I can cook in the toaster...pretty good!)
    Lunch was 2 packets of tuna with some Greek yogurt, and a post-lunch snack of an apple, and yogurt-pb2 dip.
    Supper is going to be lentil sloppy joes with a side of green beans and maybe coleslaw.

Husband suggested we do a grocery run so I can pick up some approved road trip snacks for our drive out to Michigan, so we'll do that this afternoon. Popcorn, maybe some crispy chick peas?, apples, individual yogurt containers...any other suggestions? I'm less worried about calories (I can count those pretty well by now), but want to keep the saturated fats down.

You dinner sounds delicious. I love the way that combination sounds.

Re road snacks - I've been enjoying sugar snap peas when I find them lately. That are so fresh and fun.
  • eliezalot
    Options
    eliezalot wrote: »

You dinner sounds delicious. I love the way that combination sounds.

Re road snacks - I've been enjoying sugar snap peas when I find them lately. That are so fresh and fun.

I just picked up some snap peas! They are just my favorites (and I'm bummed I didn't get any planted in the garden this year).

I ended up with some veggies (snap peas, red pepper, cucumber) and hummus (and a babaghanoush dip) and popcorn. We have a few lower cal chips as well (which we'll probably save for the drive back).
    I also have some apples and cherries.

@amart4224 and @conniewilkins56 - I just picked up some dark chocolate hummus today. It really does taste like brownie batter! That is going to give me my chocolate fix on the road trip. (Assuming it lasts until Wednesday...)
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Okay, I gave eggplant french toast my two best shots.

First I tried the savoury version - delicious looking pic even! But it just didn't work for me. I sliced it a bit too thick - close to 1/2 inch, so despite my impeccable salting and patting dry etc. It was just tooooooo soggy. And, mistake number two, I fried it with a bit of olive oil - which I forgot always tastes fishy to me when I use it for frying. So, despite how delicious this looks/I thought it would be, it was sadly just lovely toppings on some soggy fishy eggplant. :(

But, I didn't give up!

I sliced what I had left of the eggplant slightly thinner than 1/4 inch. Added some cinnamon and the tiniest bit of sugar and milk to the egg coating and used a touch of butter to fry the heck out of the eggplant, squeezing it madly with the spatula so there would be no liquid left. Then added a splash of maple syrup!
    This time the taste was amazing...but the texture still didn't work. Very much like soggy french toast even though it was a beautiful golden brown and even looked a bit crispy and I ate it immediately after frying.

Alas. I don't think I will try either of these again. And I so wanted them to work!

f97g8agfmkpr.jpg
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,624 Member
    Options
    Pic looks beautiful! It was a bit on the soggy/watery side for me tooneven though i pierced with fork etc. And some slices were nicely cooked but others were underdone. I attributed to my general clumsiness. I didn't think of mushing before cooking! But how do they prepare eggplant in baked dishes like moussaka? In the oven, right?
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Pic looks beautiful! It was a bit on the soggy/watery side for me tooneven though i pierced with fork etc. And some slices were nicely cooked but others were underdone. I attributed to my general clumsiness. I didn't think of mushing before cooking! But how do they prepare eggplant in baked dishes like moussaka? In the oven, right?

What is next on our new dish discovery trail?

I picked up some zucchini spirals today - but what I really want to try is the butternut squash. The "higher end" grocers are a bit of a walk for my gimpy calf right now. Soon!

(Yes - but eggplant in the casserole type moussaka is almost creamy - it doesn't have to stand up to being toast.)
  • PAV8888
    Options
    I picked up some zucchini spirals today - but what I really want to try is the butternut squash. The "higher end" grocers are a bit of a walk for my gimpy calf right now. Soon!

Zoo spirals I haven't used because for some reason I expect them to be soft. I noticed that (dad's) Superstore started stocking frozen zucchini spirals alongside the frozen beet ones (but no frozen butternut). Their fresh section has all three.

Hmmm. Not tracking too well right now due to not enough sleep yesterday! Westjet flight from Calgary to Vancouver had.... **maybe** two or three seats free that I could see!!!
  • amart4224
    amart4224 Posts: 345 Member
    Options

Zoo spirals I haven't used because for some reason I expect them to be soft.

I haven't tried the frozen zucchini spirals, but I have made zoodles with fresh zucchini and a spiralizer before, and they are not soft (at least not the way I cooked them.) I used to just give them a quick heat up in a pan with whatever sauce I was eating them with, and they had more bite than you would expect.

Do the frozen veggie spirals tend to have a different texture than their fresh counterparts? I've thought about trying them but was afraid they might be mushy.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    amart4224 wrote: »

Zoo spirals I haven't used because for some reason I expect them to be soft.

I haven't tried the frozen zucchini spirals, but I have made zoodles with fresh zucchini and a spiralizer before, and they are not soft (at least not the way I cooked them.) I used to just give them a quick heat up in a pan with whatever sauce I was eating them with, and they had more bite than you would expect.

Do the frozen veggie spirals tend to have a different texture than their fresh counterparts? I've thought about trying them but was afraid they might be mushy.

I've only tried the beet spirals - and had them on hand for ??? a month or so because I was really afraid I would be disappointed and wanted to hold onto the hope for awhile longer. They were fantastic!!! Not sure yet about the zoo spirals...will report back soon.
  • lauriekallis
    Options

Zoo spirals I haven't used because for some reason I expect them to be soft. I noticed that (dad's) Superstore started stocking frozen zucchini spirals alongside the frozen beet ones (but no frozen butternut). Their fresh section has all three.

Hmmm. Not tracking too well right now due to not enough sleep yesterday! Westjet flight from Calgary to Vancouver had.... **maybe** two or three seats free that I could see!!!

I don't believe PC makes the frozen butternut spirals - only Green Giant - I think Walmart sells them...they have them on their website. Will let you know where I find them when I find them.

BC has opened their borders?! Woohoo. The end is near. Travel safely.
  • eliezalot
    Options
    Breakfast was white beans in a tomato sauce with quorn meatballs.
    Lunch was a salad, snack was an apple with pb2-yogurt dip.
    Since we leave on our trip tomorrow, we don't want to mess up the kitchen. We'll go pick up sushi for dinner. I think I'll just get a salmon skin roll, some edamame, and maybe miso soup. That should be filling, will keep my sat fat down, and will leave me room for dessert!
  • PAV8888
    Options

I don't believe PC makes the frozen butternut spirals - only Green Giant - I think Walmart sells them...they have them on their website. Will let you know where I find them when I find them.

BC has opened their borders?! Woohoo. The end is near. Travel safely.

Re BC borders, I haven't really checked due to multiple exemptions anyway: resident returning home and work both times and medical on top last time (first vaccine appointment, which is why I drove last month to decrease interaction). Towards AB it is heading to help out relative over 80... so there's that!

The Delta variant worries me, plus the number of younger people who seem reluctant/not worried about getting a shot. I mean at the grocery store 3 weeks ago they were announcing Pfizer shots at the pharmacy without an appointment and for free to anyone 12 or older who hadn't had their first shot yet. And 2 days ago I was talking to a 26-year-old who is working a customer-facing job and who was telling me she won't get a shot until work forces her to!🤷🏻‍♂️
  • PAV8888
    Options
    @amart4224 after that enthusiastic zoo recommendation I see myself picking some up and trying them! I tried a spiralizer once -- it won! :lol:

I am shocked that I'm 2 for 2 on Dad inducement towards spiralized veggies! He was started on half fettuccine half beet spirals, quickly went on and accepted 100% beet spirals, and even accepted and approved butternut squash/beet! Let's face it it's the sauce that counts (I'm sure the feta cheese on top helped too!!! 😛😇)
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Wish I could find Quorn.... It doesn't seem to have made it I at amainstream level at our neck of the woods!

Picked up 24 650 ml Yoplait 0% tubs. And four 750ml oikos zero plain ones... So I have an inkling I may be eating some yogurt in the near future!!!!

Strawberries looked really good and so did cherries! And they're now sitting on the counter!

Picked up some huge corn on the cob. I find them a bit rich in calories but quite tasty on the barbecue.

So weather dependent it's going to be corn on the cob on the barbecue with probably a good quantity of a 350 g pack of fingerling potatoes either just like that with Greek yogurt on the potatoes or, if I'm adventuresome, I picked up a pack of quote unquote frozen fish burger for barbecue use
  • lauriekallis
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Finally made "Spicy Cabbage, Peas and Kidney Beans" - and I can't remember to who, but I know I promised a recipe.

Ingredients:
    - 2 19fl oz cans red kidney beans
    - 1/2 bag (375g) frozen green peas
    - 1 or 2 onions depending on size
    - 5 lb head of cabbage (or 2 smaller savoy cabbages if they look better)
    - 2 tbsp olive oil
    - Fennel Seeds, cumin seeds, mustard seeds, coriander seeds, turmeric powder, red chili powder, garam masala. Spices are a bit of a loose thing, depends on what I have at the moment, and I'll use maybe a teaspoon of each
    - Salt and pepper to taste

Instructions:
    - bring olive oil to a pretty high heat - then add the spices - swish them around for a bit until they are at the brink (over over the brink usually to be honest) of smoking.

- add the sliced onions saute until they are softening

- add the sliced cabbage saute until it starts to wilt

- add the frozen peas, stir everything around gently until they thaw

- add red kidney beans, stir it all a few mores times as they heat up - it is getting really trick to stir now because the pan is overflowing :)

And that is it. I usually eat it with a tablespoon of sour cream and a spoon of avjar - mild red pepper sauce.

I divide this into 9 servings - put 8 in the freezer, have one for dinner. They are 230 calories each.

suqh6atv9qvl.jpg
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    The recipe wasn’t for me !…( hugs lol ) …but it does look very colorful and appealing!…..I am in a cooking mood today….no swimming…..I will attempt to post this tuna casserole recipe later and open a new thread for recipes, maybe!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    The recipe wasn’t for me !…( hugs lol ) …but it does look very colorful and appealing!…..I am in a cooking mood today….no swimming…..I will attempt to post this tuna casserole recipe later and open a new thread for recipes, maybe!

A recipe thread is a great idea!

I was in a cooking mood today (that cabbage sitting on the table (wouldn't fit in the fridge) was giving me the evil :) Now I'm kind of in a napping mood. But no time :(
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Finally made "Spicy Cabbage, Peas and Kidney Beans" - and I can't remember to who, but I know I promised a recipe.

Ingredients:
    - 2 19fl oz cans red kidney beans
    - 1/2 bag (375g) frozen green peas
    - 1 or 2 onions depending on size
    - 5 lb head of cabbage (or 2 smaller savoy cabbages if they look better)
    - 2 tbsp olive oil
    - Fennel Seeds, cumin seeds, mustard seeds, coriander seeds, turmeric powder, red chili powder, garam masala. Spices are a bit of a loose thing, depends on what I have at the moment, and I'll use maybe a teaspoon of each
    - Salt and pepper to taste

Instructions:
    - bring olive oil to a pretty high heat - then add the spices - swish them around for a bit until they are at the brink (over over the brink usually to be honest) of smoking.

- add the sliced onions saute until they are softening

- add the sliced cabbage saute until it starts to wilt

- add the frozen peas, stir everything around gently until they thaw

- add red kidney beans, stir it all a few mores times as they heat up - it is getting really trick to stir now because the pan is overflowing :)

And that is it. I usually eat it with a tablespoon of sour cream and a spoon of avjar - mild red pepper sauce.

I divide this into 9 servings - put 8 in the freezer, have one for dinner. They are 230 calories each.

suqh6atv9qvl.jpg

WUZ ME! But... how to make for anti-bean person while keeping the complete protein combin (I'm assuming that's why you're mixing peas with red kidney beans?!?!?!?

What am I missing..... I've picked up 1.36kg tri-colour coleslaw mix so that takes care of the shredded cabbage! Have/can get peas easy enough. Onions good.... turmeric and garam masala are missing... but I have yellow curry powder... do you think that might work?