Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    AlexandraFindsHerself1971 Posts: 3,106 Member
    Options
    I'm trying some more Mexican recipes to eat lighter-weight food this summer. I'm looking forward to making chicken flautas next week, and to working out what seasonings I want to stew the chicken with beforehand!
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,626 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    My introduction to egg white cartons was through "Dutchie" a 20+ a day bunnies MFPer who shared some of her "grain free" recipes (grain free was her thing... I was in it for the calories :wink: ): https://countingcalscuisine.tumblr.com/

The one that made me buy the first few cartons? Predictably: https://countingcalscuisine.tumblr.com/post/125339675472

might just have to try this "predictably" - finally - so low on the calorie front I can add a splash of "grain free" bourbon - my favourite addition to sweet things :) (okay...probably not grain free, but I don't see any grains in that bottle)
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    My introduction to egg white cartons was through "Dutchie" a 20+ a day bunnies MFPer who shared some of her "grain free" recipes (grain free was her thing... I was in it for the calories :wink: ): https://countingcalscuisine.tumblr.com/

hhmmm....might just have to try this too! https://countingcalscuisine.tumblr.com/post/123451770117/cauliflower-pizza-with-mozzarella-yellow-bell

• Janatki
    Janatki Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Smoked Salmon, with garlic and rosemary, new potatoes and peas.. exciting menu - not!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,624 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Janatki wrote: »
    Smoked Salmon, with garlic and rosemary, new potatoes and peas.. exciting menu - not!

Hey isn't it almost sleepy time? WAY past tea time, right? What's not exciting about your dinner? And when you say "smoked".... how smoked? Warm? Cold? Lox? Inquiring minds and all that (and also have a pack each of pacific and Scottish smoked salmon slices in the freezer!)
  • eliezalot
    eliezalot Posts: 620 Member
    Options

Hey isn't it almost sleepy time? WAY past tea time, right? What's not exciting about your dinner? And when you say "smoked".... how smoked? Warm? Cold? Lox? Inquiring minds and all that (and also have a pack each of pacific and Scottish smoked salmon slices in the freezer!)

Agree - there is nothing NOT exciting about smoked salmon! So good!
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    The cod fish was sooooooo good…..I spritzed it with olive oil, seasoned it with smoked paprika, salt, pepper, parsley and a small amount of garlic powder….380 degrees about 15 min. Until my trusty meat thermometer hit 145 degrees….enough left over for lunch tomorrow!
  • Janatki
    Janatki Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I enjoy reading all what you lot are having to eat .... you are all so adventurous and I can tell there’s some really good cooks on here! Me , I know what I like and it doesn’t tend to be spicy or inventive!
    I do love smoke salmon - the fillets tonight were oak smoked - lightly done! We’re really good from supermarket... usually buy from fish market, but he hadn’t set up stall this week!
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    I enjoy reading all what you lot are having to eat .... you are all so adventurous and I can tell there’s some really good cooks on here! Me , I know what I like and it doesn’t tend to be spicy or inventive!
    I do love smoke salmon - the fillets tonight were oak smoked - lightly done! We’re really good from supermarket... usually buy from fish market, but he hadn’t set up stall this week!

I want to like salmon so bad but I just don’t!….other mild fish, I love….and shrimp!….not so much lobster or scallops…..your meals sound great!
  • eliezalot
    Options
    The cod fish was sooooooo good…..I spritzed it with olive oil, seasoned it with smoked paprika, salt, pepper, parsley and a small amount of garlic powder….380 degrees about 15 min. Until my trusty meat thermometer hit 145 degrees….enough left over for lunch tomorrow!

I've been loving cod lately. Usually I'm more of a tuna and salmon gal, but baked cod is so nice!

(And since cod is what we had in the freezer, cod is what is in the ceviche tonight!)
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,624 Member
    Options

The meat pan pizza, in your case without the meat toppings looks interesting and I bought an eggplant to try the French toast! MAYBE! 🤷🏻‍♂️😇
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,244 Member
    Options
    Well, I have next week's menu ready, and the list made. I actually have the next six weeks menu made up, and if when I get to the end of it I do it over again, that will get me into September and into weather where heavy pasta and cream sauces sound warm and appealing again.

Dang! Great job on the planning. I am trying to get the next few weeks planned because I am trying to eat out of the freezer to free up space. I currently have 1.5 weeks done lol. The first weekend in July is when I plan on heading to Trader Joes/Costco/Meijer to stock up so I have until then.

As for the great egg debate... even when my cholesterol was at its highest, I was never told to stay away from eggs. Even the whole egg. The cholesterol in food has little impact on blood serum levels for the majority of the population. They have 1.6 grams of saturated fat per egg so not too bad. Plus, the yolk is where all the vitamins and minerals are, along with some of the protein. I actually have improved my health markers in the past eating eggs because they helped me lose weight. They are filling to me for quite a low amount of calories.

Now, sometimes I will use egg whites if I am wanting to bulk up an egg dish for less calories then more whole eggs. So for scrambles, omelets, or loaded hashbrowns. I do make sure the cartons I buy are egg whites only... some places add stuff to theirs (like Aldi).

• eliezalot
    Options
    Athijade wrote: »
    Well, I have next week's menu ready, and the list made. I actually have the next six weeks menu made up, and if when I get to the end of it I do it over again, that will get me into September and into weather where heavy pasta and cream sauces sound warm and appealing again.

Dang! Great job on the planning. I am trying to get the next few weeks planned because I am trying to eat out of the freezer to free up space. I currently have 1.5 weeks done lol. The first weekend in July is when I plan on heading to Trader Joes/Costco/Meijer to stock up so I have until then.

As for the great egg debate... even when my cholesterol was at its highest, I was never told to stay away from eggs. Even the whole egg. The cholesterol in food has little impact on blood serum levels for the majority of the population. They have 1.6 grams of saturated fat per egg so not too bad. Plus, the yolk is where all the vitamins and minerals are, along with some of the protein. I actually have improved my health markers in the past eating eggs because they helped me lose weight. They are filling to me for quite a low amount of calories.

Now, sometimes I will use egg whites if I am wanting to bulk up an egg dish for less calories then more whole eggs. So for scrambles, omelets, or loaded hashbrowns. I do make sure the cartons I buy are egg whites only... some places add stuff to theirs (like Aldi).

Yeah, I wasn't expecting the egg thing. I miss my daily breakfast egg, they have absolutely been important to my weight loss. So filling! But, I'm willing to give it a try for a while - I can still have about 1-2 full eggs per week anyway, I'm just bitter about losing my favorite breakfast. I'm hoping sustained weight loss can get my cholesterol even lower, though I've had lower cholesterol even at higher weights.

Once I get to a sustained, healthier weight, I'm interested to see how much of an effect that will have on my LDL (at least eliminate weight as a variable) and then start playing around with different foods to see what my diet will ultimately look like.

Since we want to get this lowered soon, I'm willing to pretty much try everything at once, then start slowly adding things back in and see if it affects it. Maybe my weight will play big role, maybe the extra fiber and exercise will be enough, maybe eggs will be okay again. It is had when there are just so many variables right now!

I did get a recommendation for an RD, who miiight? be covered by my insurance. I'm planing to set up an initial session with them for some advice.
  • eliezalot
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Ya'll. It is hot out, and I'm craving cold treats. I was looking in the ice-cream section at the store the other day, trying to see if anything jumped out at me AND was reasonable in the saturated fats. I found a fudgecicle-like thing made from Greek yogurt that fit the bill. But, I had walked the mile the store and it was about 90 degrees out, so it definitely wasn't going to survive the walk home.

Instead, I googled, and just tried this: https://www.weightwatchers.com/ca/en/recipe/greek-yogourt-fudgesicles/5732fdfa311dd6da143618d4

I used honey instead of agave (and less of it), and added a Tbsp of cornstarch to keep it creamy. It is freezing now, but the extra I ate was delicious. In fact, it was so good, I made a second batch using strawberries and vanilla extract instead of chocolate. I'll report back on the frozen results.

This blog has some more that I'm excited to try: https://reciperunner.com/?s=popsicle
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    eliezalot wrote: »
    Ya'll. It is hot out, and I'm craving cold treats. I was looking in the ice-cream section at the store the other day, trying to see if anything jumped out at me AND was reasonable in the saturated fats. I found a fudgecicle-like thing made from Greek yogurt that fit the bill. But, I had walked the mile the store and it was about 90 degrees out, so it definitely wasn't going to survive the walk home.

Instead, I googled, and just tried this: https://www.weightwatchers.com/ca/en/recipe/greek-yogourt-fudgesicles/5732fdfa311dd6da143618d4

I used honey instead of agave, and added a Tbsp of cornstarch to keep it creamy. It is freezing now, but the extra I ate was delicious. In fact, it was so good, I made a second batch using strawberries and vanilla extract instead of chocolate. I'll report back on the frozen results.

This blog has some more that I'm excited to try: https://reciperunner.com/?s=popsicle

Oh my goodness - these will be a godsend! And they can be healthy! and delicious! I've been buying the President's Choice smoothie bars but my local store keeps running out of them. If I make them myself that will not be an issue and I won't have to worry about "stocking up" when I see them - or carrying frozen things in the heat. I'm really excited! Thank you for posting these links.
  • eliezalot
    Options
    Yes!! So many flavor options too! Peanut butter banana, peach and granola, strawberry and coconut water (I'd add some lime too!). I think just endless possibilities. Berry, tropical, chocolate, coffee...
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    I freeze leftover coffee in cubes….put cubes in the blender with a cup of skim milk,T of flavored sugar free creamer and a packet of Equal…..turn it on and instant frappe!….I like iced coffee, too…..
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    Yummy….tonight we are having baked sweet potatoes, fresh green beans and corn on the cob….fresh Florida sliced tomatoes and turkey kielbasa!….someone ate the other half of my lemon poppyseed muffin so I guess I will eat a Fiber One cookie….
  • eliezalot
    Options
    I freeze leftover coffee in cubes….put cubes in the blender with a cup of skim milk,T of flavored sugar free creamer and a packet of Equal…..turn it on and instant frappe!….I like iced coffee, too…..

I hadn't thought of that! I do that just to use as cubes for iced coffee (without watering it down). I'll definitely have to try this!!