Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,626 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Breakfast? around noon... lean cuisine cannelloni and lots of coffee so far!

On the stove... 121g onion, 21g garlic, 9g so far avocado oil, 340g red and white baby potatoes, 500g green beans, 800g crushed tomatoes, water, 10g Knorr veggie stock... who knows how it will end... but tasty so far :smiley:

Tried Laurie's cook on the roof-top idea... would have worked a couple of days ago; but not quite warm enough today! :blush:

Sounds like a lot of deliciousness happening in your neck of the woods! I didn't do much in the way of "cooking" today...but ate okay.

I think I could have cooked on the roof here today - felt like a million or so degrees.
  • Janatki
    Janatki Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Fish from chippy, with large mushy peas for me tonight...out watching son play his first semi professional game. Good excuse to have a takeaway 😬😀😀
  • eliezalot
    eliezalot Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Breakfast was chocolate PB2 overnight oats with banana. I think lunch will be yogurt dip, an apple, and maybe a tuna sandwich. Tbd on dinner, but will likely involve leftover lentils and farro. Roasted veggies sound nice too, but I don't want to turn the oven on in this heat!
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    I am going to attempt making a tuna noodle casserole for dinner....low calorie of course.....I will post how it turns out!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,624 Member
    Options
    I am going to attempt making a tuna noodle casserole for dinner....low calorie of course.....I will post how it turns out!

Tuna... Low cal. Check.
    Noodle?
    Sauce?

Inquiring for a friend! 😹
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Soon I'm going to try those beet spirals! Just going to have them all alone - as they are - touching nothing :) - the ultimate taste test. Maybe I'll dress them with some ??? I don't know. I'm hoping something will come to mind when I taste them! I'll report back.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Soon I'm going to try those beet spirals! Just going to have them all alone - as they are - touching nothing :) - the ultimate taste test. Maybe I'll dress them with some ??? I don't know. I'm hoping something will come to mind when I taste them! I'll report back.

Oh nooooooo!!! But they will be slightly sweet and... plain! They're just... beets. I mean really. Just beets. Firm to the mouth. But beets!

Now make a hearty (spicy) bolognaise.... and pour them in there to coat nicely with sauce before serving.

The sweetness coupled with the tomato part of the sauce and enhanced by spiciness (plus any extra liquid from the beets can be controlled by boiling off the sauce a bit more).... you see where I'm going?
  • conniewilkins56
    Options

Tuna... Low cal. Check.
    Noodle?
    Sauce?

Inquiring for a friend! 😹

Sheesh....I went to Publix and forgot to buy peas for the tuna casserole so now we are having fresh boiled shrimp, air fryer baked potatoes, green beans and a salad.....my husband suggested using mixed vegetables in the casserole but that didn’t sound good to me.....maybe tomorrow....I have to do produce shopping in the morning!

I am not eating beets with spaghetti sauce......never!....but I have tried the Butternut squash spirals and I put cinnamon and a little brown sugar on them....they were good....
  • lauriekallis
    Options

Oh nooooooo!!! But they will be slightly sweet and... plain! They're just... beets. I mean really. Just beets. Firm to the mouth. But beets!

Now make a hearty (spicy) bolognaise.... and pour them in there to coat nicely with sauce before serving.

The sweetness coupled with the tomato part of the sauce and enhanced by spiciness (plus any extra liquid from the beets can be controlled by boiling off the sauce a bit more).... you see where I'm going?

Oh yyyeeeeeessssssss!!! There are delicious!....plain! They're delectable... beets.

I was quite happy with them plain - with a few veggie meatballs on the side. A really lame meal - but surprisingly tasty.

Next time I'm thinking a lemon or lime tahini sauce and some white beans or chick peas and I'll turn them into something a little Middle Eastern!

Thank you for recommending them. Hope you don't mind too terribly that I've bastardized them a bit.

I'm still hung up on my French cut green beans with spaghetti sauce...maybe when I get bored with those I'll try it with the beet noodles.

I haven't seen butternut squash spirals, @conniewilkins56. Have you seen those up here @pav8888??? That would be pretty fun to work with.
  • eliezalot
    eliezalot Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Dinner tonight has been decided. I have some low-fat coconut milk (ugh, full fat is so much better, why does coconut have to have so much saturated fat??), and will do a Thai green curry, probably with sweet potato, bell peppers, broccoli, and tofu. Instead of rice, we'll have it on top of the farro-lentil mix. Then a post-supper bike ride, which might free up enough calories to stop for fro-yo.... (at least a girl can hope!)
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Hold on what is this delicious plan that involves French cut beans and where do we find said French cut beans ready to go?

Have not really tried the butternut squash except maybe I think once mixed with zucchini so I think that Connie is building a beautiful picture that will maybe be explored!!!😛
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Nothing wrong with your lame meal! If it wasn't for the anti vegan parental I would be imitating you!!!!
  • PAV8888
    edited June 2021
    Options
    I was inspired by Alexandra today! :wink:

"chips alexandra". Thinly sliced baby potatoes, spray of avocado oil, 450 (actually 440) convection oven on parchment to guard against burned paper!

"egg plant alexandra" Same as above but sliced thick... then finished in the ridged grill pan with the burgers

"burgers galen weston" That would be loblaw blue menu lean burgers, 220 Cal per 142g... and the suckers were 142g each without the paper!, done in a grill pan with a ridged surface because dad got rid of his bbq right before covid since he was never going to use it pre retirement home...

"eggs in the non stick pan alexandra". Two sunny side eggs with the minutest spray of oil

Plate: two slices of eggplant, top with burger, top with egg... serve with "chips" (and a couple of extra slices of eggplant)

450g eggplant, 200g potatoes, 105g eggs, 7g avocado oil, split between two.

My half ~500 Cal including ketchup and sriracha!

I think it was a GOOD bargain!

I think I will be making this again, possibly using portobelo instead of eggplant... or maybe still using eggplant... who knows!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    I haven't seen butternut squash spirals, @conniewilkins56. Have you seen those up here @pav8888??? That would be pretty fun to work with.

Got some from Safeway today when I was out there looking for the egg-plant BECAUSE OF CONNIE! Expen$ive for the little blister pack $5.99. I know that Superstore also has them in the packaged salad section usually above the carrots/near the pealed garlic.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Kinda like the sound of "Portobelo Alexandra" - that has a very nice ring.

So - these butternut squash spirals are fresh? Not frozen?! Going to have to go to a better grocery store than my little local No Frills to look for them!

The french cut green beans are actually called French Style - the Green Giant slices those babies into ribbons and pops them in the freezer for us! They are amazing - chewy - mild flavour that doesn't interfere - fuzzy so they hold lots of sauce - all round amazing! They don't sell those at my local store either :( have to go further afield. And then buy several bags at once. So excited by these than I'm even loading a picture!

a2ctc08kycop.jpg
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    The Butternut squash was the frozen Green Giant spirals and they were only $3.99....

Our shrimp,potatoes and salad was great!....nothing was touching on my plate...it was lovely!....I had my green beans in a separate little dish so the juice wouldn’t get on my shrimp!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Thank you, Connie! I hope I can find them up here...they sound pretty good!

Lol - I have so much fun thinking of you whenever I plate my dinner. Knowing that it would please you - or make you crazy. Alas, food obsession is why I'm here!
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    I certainly know about food obsession....the only time in my life I didn’t think about food from the time I woke up was when I took diet pills, Phen Phen....and then they took them off the market because some people got heart problems from taking them!...