Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    Thank you, Connie! I hope I can find them up here...they sound pretty good!

Lol - I have so much fun thinking of you whenever I plate my dinner. Knowing that it would please you - or make you crazy. Alas, food obsession is why I'm here!

What a great picture!...
  • eliezalot
    eliezalot Posts: 620 Member
    Options

Lol - I have so much fun thinking of you whenever I plate my dinner. Knowing that it would please you - or make you crazy. Alas, food obsession is why I'm here!

What a great picture!...

:lol: I also often think about this... I don't think you'd love a lot of our meals! It often all gets plopped into one bowl, everything touching everything else.
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    eliezalot wrote: »

What a great picture!...

:lol: I also often think about this... I don't think you'd love a lot of our meals! It often all gets plopped into one bowl, everything touching everything else.

LoL....you all are great!.....
  • Janatki
    Janatki Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    ‘‘Twas chicken & bacon penne arrabiatta tonight - couldn’t partake as knackered - off to bed instead!
    Will get some tomorrow. French omelette at dinner time - with gruyere & Parmesan .... yum!
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,244 Member
    Options
    Made an individual thin crust pizza and had a salad with it. Topped the pizza with bell pepper, onion, spinach, fresh garden basil, shredded mozzarella cheese, and feta cheese. SO good.
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,627 Member
    Options
    Athijade wrote: »
    Made an individual thin crust pizza and had a salad with it. Topped the pizza with bell pepper, onion, spinach, fresh garden basil, shredded mozzarella cheese, and feta cheese. SO good.

that sounds delicious! I haven't even thought of the individual pizza idea. I have managed to keep some small individual naan breads in the freezer - and haven't been too tempted. Maybe I can keep some on hand to make an occasional pizza!
  • lauriekallis
    Options

What a great picture!...

Thank you! I forgot that I changed my picture last night. :D I thought you were speaking about the picture of me laughing about my plate of food making you crazy!

My grandson was tickled. He has actually taken my last few pictures - so this time I showed him that he was in my picture. He was pleased.
  • conniewilkins56
    Options

What a great picture!...

Thank you! I forgot that I changed my picture last night. :D I thought you were speaking about the picture of me laughing about my plate of food making you crazy!

My grandson was tickled. He has actually taken my last few pictures - so this time I showed him that he was in my picture. He was pleased.

He is so cute!
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    AlexandraFindsHerself1971 Posts: 3,106 Member
    Options
    Lunch was Hot Italian Beef sandwiches, which is shaved beef simmered in spiced beef broth with green peppers, served on crusty bread with a slice of mozzarella melted over it. How wet the sandwich is is up to you.

Dinner was Hunan Pork (we tend to like pork in these dishes better) with mixed Asian vegetables and white rice.

The heat and being hot really does a number on my appetite. I am probably going to have to make myself eat my evening snack so that I'm not hungry while going to sleep, but I don't really want anything other than more cold tea.

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,624 Member
    Options
    (lean blue menu) burger, thin sliced potatoes (chip style in the oven), large salad
  • eliezalot
    Options
    Last night we had leftover curry. It was so filling. There is still at least a serving left too, which will be all mine, since husband doesn't do leftovers.

Today, I'm making ceviche for dinner. I've been craving it lately, and it just sounds so refreshing and perfect for the heat. We have some ripe avocados to use too, and I'll probably cook up some beans to have on the side. Now, to figure out breakfast and lunch.

I bought a meat replacement I haven't tried before - Quorn (I got the crumbles and the meatballs). I know I've seen that mentioned here... @lauriekallis , was that you? Would love tips/recipes from anyone who has used it!
  • lauriekallis
    edited June 2021
    Options
    @eliezalot - no/maybe? - I haven't tried Quorn - lol, didn't know what that was until just now - it is just a UK brand! - and don't tend to use meat replacements if I'm actually cooking. I will go for a veggie sausage or veggie meatballs when I'm feeling kinda lazy and don't want to bother with cooking a protein - or feeding a non-vegetarian who would look at beans like some type of alien food. But, I've actually kinda grown to like them, though they feel really processed and not necessarily the healthiest. On good days I would use lentils or beans for protein, so like to keep a good stock of frozen single serve dishes in the freezer because they can be a bit time consuming to prepare - yet easy to make a big batch.

Soups - various kinds of daals - and my favourite "Spicy cabbage with red beans and peas" are my standards.

If that last one sounds like something you'd be interested in - I'll try writing a recipe to give you an idea of what goes into it. It has become one of my favourite freezer dishes, has all the nutrition and thaws really quickly in a pan with a lid because the cabbage keeps it sort of loose.
  • eliezalot
    Options
    @lauriekallis

Haha, I guess it was someone else posting about Quorn - I suppose I can go back and look, but I'm truly lazy today. Turns out Quorn is pretty good! I like that it is faster to fix up than tofu too.

I'm not super big on meat replacements for the sake of replacing meat, but I do just like them for what they are (MorningStar veggie chicken nuggets are waaay better than actual chicken nuggets). But with this whole eating even less meat thing, I started to worry about my protein intake (which is really what fills me up), especially with the new dearth of eggs in my diet. When I was (mostly) vegetarian back in college, I didn't really pay attention to my protein or macros or anything else, so never really knew how my nutrition was. I clearly do now!

We usually eat beans or lentils once a week or so, but this last week, have been having them much more frequently. And I'm actually amazed that it is EASIER to hit my protein goals than when I was trying to fit in more servings of meat! WHO KNEW?!?!?

And I'd love recipe! Sounds like something my husband would love too!
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    I had refried Old El Paso black beans on tostados last night and they were so good….

Laurie, you and PAV would be so proud of me!…I bought some frozen Green Giant Zuchinni spirals and I MIGHT try spaghetti sauce on them for dinner soon….I think I might like them better with some garlic and onion and a little butter on them!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    @eliezalot please note that in terms of cholesterol it is the egg yolks that have it all. Egg whites are very high in protein, low fat, a complete protein, and when cooked and in relatively not insane quantities, the impact on biotin absorbency is minor. So... don't write them off totally :smiley:

@lauriekallis ... I admit to not eating too many beans because... well... the next day... and then again I've found them relatively MANY calories for their satiation effect (I include chick peas). Green peas on the other hand I go for!

Anyway: I am intrigued by the stuffed cabbage you're proposing!!! :smiley:
  • eliezalot
    edited June 2021
    Options
    @PAV8888 - I do need to try that. Tossing away yolks from fresh eggs feels so wasteful, and I'm juuuust a little skeptical of eggs that come in a carton :lol: Next trip to the grocery though, I'll give them a go!!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    eliezalot wrote: »
    @PAV8888 - I do need to try that. Tossing away yolks from fresh eggs feels so wasteful, and I'm juuuust a little skeptical of eggs that come in a carton :lol: Next trip to the grocery though, I'll give them a go!!

I felt just like you - egg whites in a carton????? no thank you. But, wow! They are great! Don't know who is eating all those yolks and cholesterol - but it is their trouble!

I'm making the "Spicy Cabbage with Beans and Peas" soon - I'll pay attention to what I put in there and post it here.

And @PAV8888 - this will leave you super loaded. Cabbage and Beans! For fun you could maybe have a few eggs on the side! :D Since I've been eating this frequently, and lots of homemade sauerkraut and kimchi, I'm glad I don't have to be on a bus or in enclosed spaces with people these days.
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    I don’t really like eggs so I can’t imagine that slimy white goo in a carton!…I will eat them scrambled with Heinz ketchup or deviled on occasion if I make them…egg salad is ok, too if I make it…..no fried or poached or omelet…..( shuddering)…..
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    Tonight we are having air fried fresh cod fish, wild rice and cauliflower with a big salad….dessert and snack is half of a large fresh baked Amish lemon poppyseed muffin with coffee!
  • PAV8888
    edited June 2021
    Options
    My introduction to egg white cartons was through "Dutchie" a 20+ a day bunnies MFPer who shared some of her "grain free" recipes (grain free was her thing... I was in it for the calories :wink: ): https://countingcalscuisine.tumblr.com/

The one that made me buy the first few cartons? Predictably: https://countingcalscuisine.tumblr.com/post/125339675472