Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,632 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Your dinner sounds amazing @eliezalot - I would skip the bacon/chicken - but I don't think they would be especially missed!

My favourite part of your dinner (dinner story), PAV, is how you slunk away and sneaked a clif bar! :D
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    That PAV is a sneaky one!
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,819 Member
    Options
    Yep, I love lentils too!
  • Bella_Figura
    Options
    @lauriekallis, are you a vegetarian? I’m contemplating making the move to vegetarianism but don’t want to jeopardise my weight loss. Our diet is complicated by the fact that my husband has to avoid whole grains (including oats), meat alternatives such as quorn and soya, and some high fibre legumes such as lentils because his anti-transplant-rejection meds cause gout. He also has IBS. He’s fine with refined flour (so can eat white bread & pasta), rice, dairy, eggs, nuts, most veggies and fruits. But people trying to lose weight can’t base their diet on cheese and nuts!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Me three!
    An old dear mate of mine, who had problems with drinking, would go off on long binges and be very emotional when he returned. After one particularly long time away from our lives, the first morning back he cried honest to goodness tears because he had missed lentils so much. "I love lentils..."

And for tonight's dinner - to celebrate finally reaching my lowest weight from February - the Boy and I are going to the chip truck :D

This is not really in celebration = just the plans we made when he was here on Monday. I know for certain I'll have to skip the scale for a few days with all the sodium that I'll be sneaking into my belly (I want to slink too!).
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Hi, Bella.
    Yes I am. That is a complicated diet. When I stick to whole foods I do well on the weight loss front. Cottage cheese and eggs and greek yogurt are my biggest suppliers of protein followed by beans and lentils.

There are a many meat alternatives here in Canada now that are wheat based. But I'm trying to avoid them because I don't do well with any grains (mostly they just have me craving terribly - and I'm always suspicious of overly refined foods.

How does he do with beans?

My food diary is open if you want to take a peek at where my protein is coming from. (now I'm curious too!)
  • eliezalot
    eliezalot Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Lentils are my favorite. I don't think I could ever get tired of them!
  • Bella_Figura
    Options
    He's ok with beans in moderation, but too much fibre causes an IBS flare. So kidney beans or cannellini beans as a component of a chilli or casserole would be fine, but a lentil bake would cause him severe stomach cramps.

The IBS has been with us a while, but the gout is relatively new, and is causing us a real headache.

He has to be careful with yoghurt because of the live cultures...so many things to take into consideration if I want to make something that we can both eat and enjoy rather than eat separate meals all the time. At the moment we have different breakfasts and lunches, but I do like it when we eat the same meal for dinner.

Most of the meat alternatives are on the avoid list for gout because they're high in purines. Those based on pea protein are the best, so I may try some of those.
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    Today's lunch was patty melts, and I am finding that I have to take smaller bites and chew them very very thoroughly, and that makes it hard to get all my food eaten. (The ADHD med means I get bored with eating quickly.) So this is making things real fun. (sigh)

Tonight's dinner is burritos. Available fillings are ground beef, pork al pastor, or carne asada, and they can put cheese sauce or enchilada sauce over them.
  • eliezalot
    eliezalot Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    For lunch today, I finally had my first homegrown BLT of the season. Well, actually a B(noL)T. It was fabulous. Fresh Moonglow and Japanese Black Trifele tomatos, a smear of mayo, sprinkle of salt, and 3 slices of turkey bacon. On toasted sourdough. Perfection. Supper will be leftover pasta bake from last night - it was tasty and filling!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    those tomatoes sound amazing! Just occured to me that I could have L&T's without the bread?! Thick slices of tomato - sprinkled with some salt and pepper - spread a bit of mayo on there - on a nice crunchy leaf of lettuce?! That is the best part (except of course the buttery toast) ... but it would feel pretty decadent with the mayo.
  • Bella_Figura
    Options
    Breakfast: Porridge with berries
    Lunch: Cavaloleekie soup (cavolo nero, leek, potato and onion soup - with a 16g portion of garlic and herb Boursin melted in to make it creamy). And 40g crusty Pave bread for dunking.
    Dinner: Vegan pea protein burger and air-fried french fries (eek! vegan! pea protein! double eek! - it was surprisingly good)
    Dessert: 100g defrosted berries, 75g 5% Fage greek yoghurt, 10g sultana/almond granola for crunch.

A 100% vegetarian day!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,634 Member
    Options
    Woot decadent food Garfield!

Laurie your l&t sounds interesting.... and I also have a package of tempeh I was going to try!

The only thing lacking is the garden produce!!!🤷🏻‍♂️
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    We had walking burritos for lunch (everything's inside) and grilled cheese with a layer of pulled pork in sauce in the middle and onion rings for dinner. I may never eat again, or at least not tonight. Purr....
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    I don't know where all the available calories disappeared to today - but when I got down to planning dinner (after logging my evening yogurt and berries snack) there was only 250 or so calories left :( so supper was cottage cheese with frozen wild blueberries and almonds. Very tasty - but didn't feel like "supper."

Tomorrow I'm having some of that Greek Green Bean with Olive Oil Stew tucked away in the freezer. I'll plan the rest of the day around that!
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    We had all vegetables for dinner and the meat wasn’t missed at all…..I had 5 oz. of boiled potatoes, 2 cups of cooked cabbage and a cup of mixed frozen vegetables boiled in some chicken stock…delicious!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    I had beautiful baby baby creamer red potatoes (cherry tomato sized), boiled with some rosemary and lemon pepper thrown on top, standard fake baby carrots from the pack steamed with thyme and lemon pepper on top, and nuked fresh Brussels sprouts (they were really good). Strip loin looked promising, especially on BBQ, but was underwhelming (tough)💩🤬 I saved half-ish for later use, already logged!

Problem is I logged some "potato salad" (potatoes, fresh onion, pickled onions, mustard powder, skyr o%) yesterday, and that and a small salmon leftover piece are still waiting to be eaten (had about 1/3 for brunch today)

Well, since I wouldn't mind dropping 1 or 2 lbs to match my weight two years ago when cccgg last visited, I guess it's all to the good!??!!! I might manage 1lb in the week till she arrives 😇😹

OK smart ladies: I drive back 6-7 hours on the 17th, get some stuff sorted out for Dad morning of the 18th, then load some mom stuff into the car in case I make it all the way home with cccgg, then drive 3 hours to pick up cccgg arriving at 21:30.... which is like time to get up for work in her originating time zone... and closing time in the village night life

What, other than a big smile, do I bring to the airport, or with me in the car? Flowers? Bubbly? Drinks? Chocolates? Steak sandwich? 😂😹

Help help? Laurie since you're in the game? 😂

Plus we're booked into basic hotel since it's only one night and everyone will be tired (her words)... and I'm thinking that was not necessarily a smart move even though it is located next to a restaurant she really likes and wants to go to for lunch. set trap for dumb guy: watch dumb guy drop into oopsies I fell for this pit!!!!🤷🏻‍♂️
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    Jewelry….I am still in the game PAV lol…nice gold earrings….
  • PAV8888
    Options
    gold earrings??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Wow! I admit to not having gone to the jewelry stage! Jars of coffee shipped Fed-Ex... POSSIBLY. Jewelry? Not as much... have I failed... again?