Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    You got the ugh, not the soup.
    Oh, that’s ok then! 🤣

You can always mail me some soup since sharing is caring!!! :smiley:
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    Dinner was good, and now it is cleaned up and I am sipping some ginger tea and reading, cause I don't want to do anything when my stomach is full.

youre doing better than me. other than putting away the food, i dont usually get the rest cleaned up til morning LOL
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    Dinner was good, and now it is cleaned up and I am sipping some ginger tea and reading, cause I don't want to do anything when my stomach is full.

youre doing better than me. other than putting away the food, i dont usually get the rest cleaned up til morning LOL

This is a New Thing. I have a weightbearing budget thanks to a car wreck that made me get one foot surgically rebuilt in my twenties, and it used to be that I could cook dinner, put away some of the really fragile food items (you know, get the lid on the sour cream and shove it back in the fridge) before sitting down, and then after I sat for an hour and a half or so I could probably go in and deal with the cleanup. But all this last week I've been good enough to just go in and clean up after dinner. Complete with an extra trip upstairs to get Son's plate. (He'll bring it down, but after I've run the dishwasher, so I'd rather get it and do it all at once.)

I used to get it done that evening on a good day; often it waited until morning. Nowadays the only thing waiting for morning is the occasional crockpot liner with a ring of baked on stuff that was left in the sink to soak. And I have to say it's nice to wake up to a clean kitchen.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,637 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    What? The kitchen has a floor?!?!?!?! :lol: I thought dogs were invented to keep dishes and kitchens clean, no?
  • PAV8888
    Options
    I was attacked by delicious meat/rice stuffed eggplants. served beautifully with zucchini slices and potato slices cooked at the same time (tomato, way more oil than I would approve had I been in charge and/or nearby where it was cooking!)

Should have taken a picture.

Evening topped off with oikos 0% plain... doctored with... liquid sucralose drops, pumpkin pie spice... and... and... and.... sugar :smile: (20g sugar, 650g oikos (sky got 100g plain), 2g pumpkin spice... yummies for the tummies!!)
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,819 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Pumpkin pie spice is an actual product? I've never tasted pumpkin pie (or indeed pumpkin anything) - is pumpkin pie spicy?

Is Pumpkin Pie Spice like the mixed spice that you put in bread pudding?

Talking of bread pudding, I've just made one and popped it in the oven - this will take IRON WILLPOWER to stick to just one small portion. It's my favourite pudding of all time, and it also reminds me so much of my mom and dad, because mom made delicious bread pudding and it was dad's favourite too. We all used to fight over the chewy edges, but the squidgy centre bit is lovely too, whether eaten hot and cold.

Why did I make it so early in the day? Now I want bread pudding for breakfast!
  • Bella_Figura
    edited September 2021
    Options
    For you folks across the pond who probably don't know what a bread pudding is....it's a pudding made from stale bread. Sooooooo good! My mom used to put suet in hers (and I've heard some people say they make it with butter or eggs) but my version has no fat at all and is super-scrummy.

Here's how you make it!

Tear up a large quantity of stale bread - include as much crust as you can find! Traditionally this would be crusty white bread, but I've been known to include wholemeal, ciabatta etc. But white is best. Just avoid seeded or sourdough breads, as they'll change the flavour. Put your bread in a bowl and drench it with water. I mean, properly drench it. Then put it in a colander to drain, and squeeze out the excess water. You need to remove as much water as possible otherwise your bread pudding will be wet and soggy, which is NOT what you're aiming to achieve.

Put your squeezed-out bread into a large mixing bowl and add a large quantity of mixed spice. By large quantity, I mean at least two sachets, so that the whole contents of the bowl turn gooey and brown. It's therapeutic to do this squidging by hand, as it's reminiscent of making mud pies as a child. Then stir in some sultanas, some soft brown sugar and a little caster sugar and stir thoroughly. Dollop into a buttered dish, sprinkle another 20g of brown sugar on the top and bake at about 190 degrees C until it looks done - i.e. when it's springy to the touch and nice and chewy-looking around the edges (between 60-90 minutes). Remove from the oven, scatter over a tsp of granulated sugar so that it looks pretty and tuck in.

I've only made a small one, so here were my ingredients:
    • 330g white bread
    • 150g sultanas
    • 50g caster sugar
    • 50g soft brown sugar (+ 20g for the sprinkle on top)

OMG, the whole house smells amazing! Can't wait for it to come out of the oven! When it does, you eat a portion piping hot (with some edgy bits!) and then leave the rest to go cold, cut it into squares, and try to resist eating them all in one sitting. When hot it's squidgy and moist...when cold it should have a firm texture (not mushy or soggy) so you can eat it in slabs....

Heaven. I'll add a photo when it's out of the oven...

gg9akwqhbzy2.jpeg

8io5dbfjq6nm.png

• callsitlikeiseeit
    Options
    For you folks across the pond who probably don't know what a bread pudding is....it's a pudding made from stale bread. Sooooooo good! My mom used to put suet in hers (and I've heard some people say they make it with butter or eggs) but my version has no fat at all and is super-scrummy.

I know what bread pudding is ;)

and yorkshire pudding. proper yorkshire pudding.

not pudding at all, for those who dont know. lol

and crackers (poppers) at christmas. they have just fairly recently gained *some* popularity here, but I still wouldnt say they are common. at least not in the south. but I can occasionally find them in stores now and not have to order them.

my grandfathers family originally came from England. Some of our christmas traditions were from his family. the yorkshire pudding. the crackers. we had popovers too but im not sure if those are english (i mean, its yorkshire pudding in a different pan, basically so maybe? lol)

at the most, its just 5 of us, and often just the 3 of us. So I dont really make a huge spread. It just wont get eaten.
  • Bella_Figura
    Options
    @callsitlikeiseeit can't beat a proper yorkshire pud! Not heard of popovers, so maybe that's a regional thing. And I can't imagine Christmas without crackers - even if you go out on Christmas Day for lunch at a posh restauant they put a cracker beside each person's plate so that we can all sit there in flimsy paper crowns.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    Options
    And I can't imagine Christmas without crackers - even if you go out on Christmas Day for lunch at a posh restauant they put a cracker beside each person's plate so that we can all sit there in flimsy paper crowns.

i love those crowns.

my husband is not a fan. He had never heard of christmas crackers.

Which i find ironic really I mean, hes from canada. it is still TECHNICALLY part of of the British Commonwealth. I mean, an independent Country, its own Constitution and laws and PM and all that but .... yeah.

Options
    Today is hot Italian beef sandwiches on ciabatta rolls for lunch, and dinner is flautas con pollo with beans and rice and salad, and hot mango-scotch bonnet dipping sauce for the flautas.
  • eliezalot
    eliezalot Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin pie spice is an actual product? I've never tasted pumpkin pie (or indeed pumpkin anything) - is pumpkin pie spicy?

Talking of bread pudding, I've just made one and popped it in the oven - this will take IRON WILLPOWER to stick to just one small portion. It's my favourite pudding of all time, and it also reminds me so much of my mom and dad, because mom made delicious bread pudding and it was dad's favourite too. We all used to fight over the chewy edges, but the squidgy centre bit is lovely too, whether eaten hot and cold.

It is! Just a pre-blended ground spice mix. Usually cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, ginger, and allspice. Tasty and useful!

(Bread pudding is amazing, at least the American versions I've had and made - nice bourbon pecan caramel bread pudding in particular!)
    Options
    eliezalot wrote: »

It is! Just a pre-blended ground spice mix. Usually cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, ginger, and allspice. Tasty and useful!

(Bread pudding is amazing, at least the American versions I've had and made - nice bourbon pecan caramel bread pudding in particular!)

The bread pudding I learned to make starts with making a 1:1 custard and then soaking your bread in that. Stir in or layer in various ingredients as you assemble it, then bake. And eat with more vanilla custard sauce, or ice cream.
  • Bella_Figura
    Options
    eliezalot wrote: »
    Yesterday husband and I went for a bike ride on a new trail. We didn't feel up for the whole ride (26 miles), but did about 17 which was just right. The weather was perfect. I feel like I haven't left my house since June due to the heat, so this early fall weather has been incredible! Also good to make up for the crap I ate yesterday lol. Delicious, delicious crap.

I had some not-cholesterol-approved apple pie for breakfast (with a graham cracker crust and crumble topping). For our picnic lunch, I packed us PB&Js and apples. I also grabbed a hershy's cookies n' cream bar and cran-grape juice from the gas station. (Sometimes the heart just wants what it wants). For dinner, we ordered Indian. I had a nice chaat and an eggplant curry with rice. Definitely over on calories and saturated fat, but no big deal. Back on again today!

So far breakfast was leftover garlic naan. Lunch will be the cantaloupe I just picked from the garden and maybe a tuna sandwich? Dinner is TBD. Truly no idea yet.

That sounds like a perfect day to me! Your food choices made my mouth water!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    g-a-r-f-i-e-l-d ! ! ! ! ! !

bread pudding is... ILLEGAL!

That tiny appetizer portion you baked? It wouldn't have made it from the oven to the table due to "losses during testing"