Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Replies

• Tonight was beef with broccoli (and rice for those who can) for two and beef with pea pods and rice for the other two of us.

Next week I think we will all have pepper steak, cause I haven't had that in a while and like it very much.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,393 Member
    mmmm.....pepper steak! but doesn't that need green peppers, onions, and mushrooms?
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,227 Member
    Last night was burgers with caramelized onions and wasabi mayo served with roasted potato wedges.

I have refound my love for roasted potatoes.
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,545 Member
    Supper tonight is the last of that wonderful egg curry - with the last of the cauliflower/broccoli and carrots!

Brunch will be the other half of the freezer dinner - at least the beans and rice. I finished the squash yesterday so I'll have to come up with something else to bolster it today. Maybe rutabaga? Whatever looks good at the grocery store.

I have some withering grape tomatoes - maybe I'll try some of those with cottage cheese and some salt & pepper, a la @conniewilkins56 and @Athijade for a snack sometime today - maybe I'll add a dash or two of sriracha to add PAV to the mix :)

Hope you are feeling good enough to enjoy those crepes tonight, Yooly!
  • PAV8888 wrote: »
    mmmm.....pepper steak! but doesn't that need green peppers, onions, and mushrooms?

Green peppers and onions. I can eat onions, and I can have green peppers if I don't eat too many of them. (Nightshades)

What I can't eat is the entire cruciferous family...cabbage, broccoli, etc. I can have a tiny bit of iceberg lettuce now and then in tacos, but anything like a dinner salad in volume is right out. I also personally have similar issues with legumes but Boyfriend and Girlfriend can eat them, so I cook them for them.

• conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    I don’t know how you do it Alexandra….if I couldn’t eat all kinds of vegetables in huge amounts, I would be very sad!…vegetables are my “ friends”… lol….

Laurie hot sauce does not belong in cottage cheese….

Athijade I hope you are feeling better…

Yo…..get rid of that cold!…..

I have a beef roast in the slow cooker….probably have some potatoes and carrots with it….
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,751 Member
    Crepes made this morning. I’m feeling better today thank goodness.
    In reading everyone’s food posts, I realized I’m an equal opportunity eater! Not vegan/vegetarian, no food allergies or problems, my food can touch and mix all over the place. It’s all good. 😋 Is life easier if you have some strong aversions?
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Yoolypr wrote: »
    Crepes made this morning. I’m feeling better today thank goodness.
    In reading everyone’s food posts, I realized I’m an equal opportunity eater! Not vegan/vegetarian, no food allergies or problems, my food can touch and mix all over the place. It’s all good. 😋 Is life easier if you have some strong aversions?

Glad you are feeling better…..I don’t know if strong aversions to some foods help or not….there are some things I just won’t eat or mix….I like my plate of food to look pretty!….I am a “ little “ OCD “ about some things….my husband would say I am VERY OCD but I disagree….there is nothing crazy about folding towels all the same way or having books on the shelves in alphabetical order….my garage is a testament to being out of order!…

I am feeling positive about losing the rest of my weight….
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    I'm having Baked Salmon with Dijon and Dill with a roasted root salad, and broccoli. Simple and easy... just like me.... lol
  • Yoolypr
    psychod787 wrote: »
    I'm having Baked Salmon with Dijon and Dill with a roasted root salad, and broccoli. Simple and easy... just like me.... lol

Sounds pretty fancy to me. Good job!
  • PAV8888
    @psychod787 is all fancy with his whole food goodness and tall, strong, and handsome too!

Plus he has lost and kept lost way more lbs than many, including myself for sure!

But, mitts 🧤 of his hamsters 🐹: he's just too young for you (Florida) ladies❣️

😹😹😹
  • lauriekallis
    "Dijon and dill" woke up my tastebuds - but I told them to go back to sleep, we are still in the dregs of winter here.

Opening this thread - I had no idea what was on the menu today. Good thing I came here and felt obliged to come up with something. This group will keep me honest.

Brunch - scrambled eggs with cottage cheese and a good dousing of sriracha, paired up with cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, green beans and a side of roasted sweet potato wedges (bought a 10 pound bag yesterday for 2.99...going to see a few of those babies on my plate for the next while :) )

Supper - The Boy is here so I'll cater to him. Fried rice (from my dwindling supply of frozen dinners), chicken-less fingers, grape tomatoes and baby cucumber with a dollop of hummus. For dessert or maybe a dinner preview? we'll share a bag of Reese Mix - they are fun, and my share will only be 100 calories - unless I arm wrestle the boy for his share too.
  • PAV8888
    Hey, leave the boy's share alone you meanie! 🙀

What's the scoop with the wedges? Something I would be interested in?

Probably doing some "easy bake" cod. Though I piece is not much and two pieces are 440 Cal because of butter/dressing, so probably with cauli rice and either carrots or sprouts?

Don't really want the dinner to go above 700 which it looks like it might because we are considering bubbly and panettone since I've only now finally managed to make it to the parental ...
  • lauriekallis
    Sweet potato wedges a la Laurie are simply a sweet potato - scrubbed (any nasty bits cut off), cut into maybe 8 wedges and roasted in the oven - no oil or anything. They cook in about the same amount of time as it takes to do the other veggies and eggs - and they are delicious. I usually get about 100-125 grams from a 5 or 6 inch potato - the furry one gets the rest. Lots of good things in them - filling - not too bad calorie wise - and they taste like a treat.
  • PAV8888
    Oven temp?!?!? (I've got a non-Laurie brisket in the oven at just 250F--I don't think I can make wedges in that, can I?!?!?! :blush:
  • Yoolypr
    Get an air fryer! You can do potato wedges in there without oil. Air fryers are great for roasting or crispy foods. I picked a medium Gourmania one at Costco for about $40.
  • lauriekallis
    Give it a whirl, PAV - sweet potatoes seem very forgiving. I don't really have a "temperature" - I use a small convection oven (with a broken fan) so cook everthing at "high" - 500 or so until it seems done. Amazing what I get away with!

Yooly-I've never used oil on these - just bare potatoes and they come out pretty good.
  • lauriekallis
    Supper tonight is more of that wonderful egg curry - with cauliflower and broccoli and sweet potato wedges. THIS is a new go to meal. Thanks, PAV!
  • Yoolypr
    edited January 2022
    I see the Gourmia 7 qt. air fryer is now $60 at Costco. Must have been a Christmas special when I bought it. Still worth the money. Not sure if it’s available/price in Canada. I’m not usually a fan of big kitchen gadgets but looking forward to using it here as the weather heats up when I don’t want to crank up the oven. Of course, cranking up the oven can be a bonus in cold weather areas! 🥶 🇨🇦
  • PAV8888
    I am not sure we have the same appliances @ our Costco here @Yoolypr ; but, you do remember that I'm visiting dad, right?

Guess what un-opened, un-used, I would think 5+ year old appliance I pulled out of the brand new box last trip? You GUESSED IT, it is a T-Fal Actifry Serie O01 Made in France 1400W... thingy that has no temperature settings (plug-in and turn-on vs NO-turn-on, I guess!) and a big sweep thing that I am sure will crush whatever it tries to scoop around in there!

Anyway... it didn't manage to make my (normally oven baked) "veggie" fries as well as the full oven last time... but might be worth trying with something that is not starting out frozen!