Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Replies

• lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,598 Member
    Nyx looks like he/she is full of vinegar!!!
  • Dante_80
    Dante_80 Posts: 479 Member
    edited September 2021
    Made @Dante_80 's Greek Green Bean and Olive Oil Stew tonight - wow - absolutely amazing! But (I'm ducking as I write this) I only used 1/4 of the olive oil the recipe calls for. In one spot it said 100ml - which isn't bad at all - but later on it said "the other 80g" - so I guess it was supposed to be 100g total which is an awful lot more than 100ml.

I used 25 grams - it was delicious - not really low calorie - but amazingly delicious. Just had a bit tonight - later this week I'll have it with little veggie sausages on riced cauliflower and I think I'll be in heaven!!!!!

Glad you liked it, this and Okra stew are some of my favorite lathera dishes!

80g was a typo, sorry for spooking you! :p

The recipe uses about 7 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil. That comes to around one and a half per portion, or 100ml in total. You throw in 20ml in the pan at the start when you Sauté the onions/garlic, and finish with another 80ml at the end, to bind the stew together. o:)

Having said that, all recipes in life are - and should be - subject to experimentation. So you did nothing wrong there, other than making the stew even healthier in a way!

• lauriekallis
    Dante_80 wrote: »
    Made @Dante_80 's Greek Green Bean and Olive Oil Stew tonight - wow - absolutely amazing! But (I'm ducking as I write this) I only used 1/4 of the olive oil the recipe calls for. In one spot it said 100ml - which isn't bad at all - but later on it said "the other 80g" - so I guess it was supposed to be 100g total which is an awful lot more than 100ml.

I used 25 grams - it was delicious - not really low calorie - but amazingly delicious. Just had a bit tonight - later this week I'll have it with little veggie sausages on riced cauliflower and I think I'll be in heaven!!!!!

Glad you liked it, this and Okra stew are some of my favorite lathera dishes!

80g was a typo, sorry for spooking you! :p

The recipe uses about 7 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil. That comes to around one and a half per portion, or 100ml in total. You throw in 20ml in the pan at the start when you Sauté the onions/garlic, and finish with another 80ml at the end, to bind the stew together. o:)

Having said that, all recipes in life are - and should be - subject to experimentation. So you did nothing wrong there, other than making the stew even healthier in a way!

I actually probably used around 100ml of oil - because I measured 100g into a little bowl, but it was just toooo much...lol
    I added the mint because I had some - and it is complicated - I sort of wish I didn't - because my taste buds aren't accustomed to mint in a savoury dish - but at the same time it is outrageously delicious, so I'm glad I did. Next time I'll try with no mint. Maybe the addition of mint will be a seasonal thing!
  • lauriekallis
    Nyx sounds like a wonder kitty! I'm loving her just from your description.
  • The meals for today are chicken and jalapeno quesadillas for lunch, and steak, mashed cauliflower or rice pilaf, and green beans with bacon for dinner.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,243 Member
    Making shepherds pie tonight. It's a Skinnytaste recipe and one of my favorites. I do leave the tomato paste out of it but can't really tell a difference.

I woke up with a messed up back and hip. Also sciatic pain down my right leg. So meal prep did not happen. Luckily I was able to figure out something for breakfasts and lunches for the week that do not require the prep.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    i think just grilled chicken salad. im not feeling great and hubby can grill the chicken. the rest is easy.

because its that or one of those stouffers family dinner meals thats in the freezer. i always keep one or two in there as a last resort emergency type dinner but its rare i actually reach that point. maybe 4-6 times a year? maybe.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,552 Member
    edited September 2021
    Sorry Laurie, you SHOULD get a disagree because, of course mint is a perfect thing to have in the oil based stew if you're using the quantities of oil discussed.

It would brighten it and cut a bit into the potential greasiness. You could also do dill, for example with the same type of cooking using peas.

But I went back and turned it into a hug 😘😇

However I restate my caloric benefit cost analysis objection to using THAT much oil, especially since it would then have to be soaked up with bread 🤯

So I personally amp up garlic and onion (making the dish heavier), reduce oil (less heavy, less staying power, less calories, more quantity, increased ability to serve in different ways than standalone--see real and fake rice discussion)

But as Dante said... that's half the fun and the experimentation part.

And for my benefit/cost hamsters, which one is ultimately less calories while still being tasty enough? The more oil or less oil version!????

Maybe I should make some more! 😇

• Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,733 Member
    So on a day of 30 degree temps (celsius) I decide to make a huge pot of aquacotta. I'm melting. The soup is now in the freezer and I'll be having a granary roll with peanut butter for dinner instead.

Aquacotta is my all time favourite soup, though, so here's how I make it:

Finely chop some onions and fry them in good quality oil until translucent Then add some chopped celery, some chopped cavolo nero (kale or savoy cabbage also work), a couple of cans of good quality tomatoes (e.g. San Marzano) and some vegetable broth. Season well (salt & freshly ground pepper), and bring to a simmer. Once the cavolo nero is soft, add in some cooked cannellini beans and a handful of fresh torn basil leaves. Heat for another couple of minutes until the beans are heated through.

Adjust the seasoning, then serve over chunks of stale rustic bread (ciabatta or sourdough are good), topped with a generous palmful of fresh pecorino or fresh parmesan.

Many aquacotta recipes include eggs. I leave out the eggs.

Heaven in a bowl.
  • PAV8888
    Garfield ugh!

You're triggering my hamsters that so far were happy with just coffee🤯

BTW: just checking... how big of a deficit today as a percentage of your daily spend????? Large but not TOO large Ms!😘
  • lauriekallis
    edited September 2021
    But I did find the mint outrageously delicious! Just surprised my tongue a bit (maybe it was waiting for the rum that usually comes with mint?) so I'm happy for the hug :) but I'm still wanting to try it next time with no mint. I probably put more than 1/3 a bunch of parsley - so that added some freshness and I was really itching to add some lemon but thought I should try the recipe as is first. Time after next I'll add lemon. And time after that maybe some dill!!

I'm happy with the amount of oil I settled on though - I made 5 servings and they are 288 calories each so not too bad. With cauliflower rice and veggies sausages and a good dollop of 0% Greek, or a smaller dollop of sour cream will still come in around 450 or so?

The soup sounds wonderful, Bella.

I have soup happening in the kitchen today too...sounded similar, but in addition to the San Marzano tomatoes, and cannellini beans, I kept adding things from the farmers market - everything is so delicious and fresh right now!

Alas, there will be no bread - but some parmesan will more than make up for that! Also have some pumpkin, spinach daal simmering away too. My house smells just amazing today! Glad I walked a fair bit already to burn up some of the calories I plan on eating.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    PAV8888 wrote: »

BTW: just checking... how big of a deficit today as a percentage of your daily spend????? Large but not TOO large Ms!😘

who? me? lol
  • PAV8888
    Call-z-ies you .. worry me ... and you better watch for and avoid rebound when you're weaned from the whatever! 🤯🥺

The free falling Garfield is our British Bella who sounds more Italian than British!!!!

And I'm 100% blaming her (well.... without the one 😘) for making my hamsters take me to McDonald's and resulting in a weird kitten 700 Calorie breakfast!!!! Let's see if it lasts long enough
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    Call-z-ies you .. worry me ... and you better watch for and avoid rebound when you're weaned from the whatever! 🤯🥺

someones been looking at my diary LOL (its okay ;) )

1100 right now is my minimum to try and meet. sometimes i meet it, sometimes i dont. my meds, remember? normally my maintenance is just under 1500. but the meds seem to have increased my heart rate a bit (normal resting for me is high 50s, currently mid 60s?) so that number may have gone up a bit, not sure how that could affect it, if at all. but i imagine if so, it would only be temporary, like the suppressed appetite. normally i have my calories set 1200-1300ish. im not allowed anywhere near the gym per doctors orders (and yes, i absolutely listen to him!) lol. if it makes you feel better i do (again under orders) check in with my doc every week and my bloodwork is done every month and my labs are all good - including electrolytes and nutrients :) (and kidney and liver, which is what hes also checking for with my meds). Then of course, we had the CT last week, so ive been scanned and poked and prodded from all sorts of angles and tests and im not looking forward to receiving my 20% portion of that bill LMAO

and here, a handy dandy report (probably huge, sorry). same as i give my doc. only he also gets an excel spreadsheet with other info also LMAO
    i swear its like being in school and turning in homework with him.

and the days in july (when the med increased), where i didnt log at all... i can tell you how much (little) i ate. guarantee it was days where i couldnt barely choke down 600 calories (150 of that in coffee creamer) and just didnt even see the point of logging it. So... appetite is slowly going up. progress is progress.

When I first got put on it back in february? i think. it took a few months for my appetite to return to a mostly normal level and, like now, it was a very gradual return. i truly EXPECTED there to be an uptick in weight but of the 30 i think i lost, i only gained back 5, which was really surprising to me. We had to increase the dosage (its a migraine prevention med) and pretty much expected all of this to happen.

q1ai79pejd0g.jpg

• Bella_Figura
    @PAV8888 How can my delicious and nutritious soup - which didn't at all deserve an 'ugh' - possibly be held responsible for propelling you through the doors of doom? I hope you enjoyed your 700 calorie breakfast, though if anything merits an 'ugh' it's a McD's breakfast. I'd have settled just for the coffee...

Today I cycled (moderate effort) for 64 minutes, until I dissolved into a pool of sweat. Zwift/Strava/Wahoo told me I'd burned 390 calories. MFP told me I'd burned 604 calories (yeah right). I ate back 200. That's not too bad, right?
  • PAV8888
    edited September 2021
    Call-z-ies I'm a simple boy. The issue from my pov/concern is not whether the caloric restriction (CR) will succeed or weight will be lost. These are preconditions (buying entries) to get to maintenance. The question is what happens there during a) the first few months to year b) first two years c) years 2-5 d) after

I've lost (or rather regained) a few times in the a to b section. Was it lack of willpower, lack of knowledge, lack of focus? All the thousands of us who vow never again? For me anyway part of it is probably hormones operating below the conscious level.

So strategy this time was:
    Put in multiple barriers to regain

Focus on slow extended loss and marginal improvements instead of maintenance

Taper and go slow especially once no longer obese or high overweight (below 27/28 BMI)

All that, plus the ideations that are common when applying a large deficit are why I often advocate the 25% of TDEE thing while obese, 20% when below

And in spite of knowing all that and slow etc etc etc and big win is the first 100lbs (or 125 in my case, or 190 or what have you in your case), when I went from 156 to 150 relatively easily several years into maintenance during first lock down, it only took a couple of mental annoyances to throw me off track during the first few maintenance months and do a classic yo yo right back to 157!🥺 And I can tell you that the hormonal hunger, in retrospect absolutely was there and only subsided with regain plus ***time*** --a year later not a trace, but two-three months post restriction? Not the same at all.

Since regain is not optimal, gaining/extending the time is the game for me, and it certainly did work better (perhaps more motivation and fear and less mental annoyances) after the large 2+/3 years of losing vs the 4-6 months for the latter small loss. Plus one was from obese to normal weight. The other within normal weight etc etc

• PAV8888
    edited September 2021
    Today I cycled (moderate effort) for 64 minutes, until I dissolved into a pool of sweat. Zwift/Strava/Wahoo told me I'd burned 390 calories. MFP told me I'd burned 604 calories (yeah right). I ate back 200. That's not too bad, right?

MFP EAT BACK *should* be calculated at whatever it show (based on MET values) MINUS base mfp calories, because MFP has already given you that level of calories for that time frame.

Base MFP calories = mifflin * multiplier
    mifflin = https://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator
    multiplier is set by MFP as: sedentary 1.25, lightly active 1.4, active 1.6, very active 1.8

Strava I would probably pay more attention than MFP as it takes into account terrain and time and is based less on a self assessment of effort level (one hopes) and more on the metrics of what it detected... not to mention that it is cool that you specify the weight of your bike!!! :lol: I'm assuming Zwift is as or more accurate too...?

If you get yourself a power meter you will be as accurate as possible in terms of bike Cals!!!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    Call-z-ies I'm a simple boy. The issue from my pov/concern is not whether the caloric restriction (CR) will succeed or weight will be lost. These are preconditions (buying entries) to get to maintenance. The question is what happens there during a) the first few months to year b) first two years c) years 2-5 d) after

I've lost (or rather regained) a few times in the a to b section. Was it lack of willpower, lack of knowledge, lack of focus? All the thousands of us who vow never again? For me anyway part of it is probably hormones operating below the conscious level.

So strategy this time was:
    Put in multiple barriers to regain

Focus on slow extended loss and marginal improvements instead of maintenance

Taper and go slow especially once no longer obese or high overweight (below 27/28 BMI)

All that, plus the ideations that are common when applying a large deficit are why I often advocate the 25% of TDEE thing while obese, 20% when below

And in spite of knowing all that and slow etc etc etc and big win is the first 100lbs (or 125 in my case, or 190 or what have you in your case), when I went from 156 to 150 relatively easily several years into maintenance during first lock down, it only took a couple of mental annoyances to throw me off track during the first few maintenance months and do a classic yo yo right back to 157!🥺 And I can tell you that the hormonal hunger, in retrospect absolutely was there and only subsided with regain plus ***time*** --a year later not a trace, but two-three months post restriction? Not the same at all.

Since regain is not optimal, gaining/extending the time is the game for me

im 182 right now. my goal to get to for this year was 180. think its safe to say that wont be a problem. my 'final' goal is 140, which i think is still in the overweight category for my very short height 5'2 (barely). im truly in no rush to get there, hence the 2 year maintenance break i just came off from at the beginning of this year. when i get there ill see how i feel, as far as if i want to break and maintain for awhile again (not 2 years though lol) or decrease my deficit and go half pound at a time as i know I'll still have a bit more to get into a 'healthy weight zone'. "they" say i should be in the 125ish? range? i dont ever see that happening though. i dont think i WANT to be there. but its so far off that i also just dont think about it, really. short term i work in 10 pound increments. long term i can think to 140 (at this point). beyond that, i just cant 'see', if that makes sense. ive probably rambled way more than necessary LOL
  • Bella_Figura

You got the ugh, not the soup.

Oh, that’s ok then! 🤣