What are you reading

Options

Replies

• Restfinder
    Restfinder Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I think I either have CRITICAL ALLIANCE or it's on my wish list. I'll have to look into that one.

I finished ENAMORED by Jody Hedlund, a medieval fantasy world tale. An adopted princess (the niece of the king and queen) is the heir apparent and at the end of a week of 12 knights proving their valor, she has to pick her king - she doesn't want any of them. In the background, the Royal Sage is working to get his commoner son, also a sage, to be her choice. It was pretty good, I gave it 4.5 and started book two, ENTWINED.

I finished ROAD KILL, by Rick Weston (brother to a friend of mine). I expected this ending to be similar to the ending of the first book I read by him several years ago. Throughout the story I couldn't figure out how he was going to make it be something plausible, but he did. I was expecting that kind of ending for this one, but it was a rather strange one with the verse about the rocks and trees rising up and clapping their hands at the coming of Jesus. The trees did it in this one! :o I am reading VENGEANCE IS MINE by him now and it takes place in the late 1880's and is about a young man who becomes a preacher after his friends do something rather heinous.
  • cmsienk
    cmsienk Posts: 18,370 Member
    Options
    I couldn't sleep last night, so I started and finished THE SPINSTER'S CHRISTMAS by Camille Elliot
  • Restfinder
    Options
    Did you like it, Cindy! Sounds like an easy read.

I am Beta Reading THE SEERS DRAGON by Brittany Fichter. I read book one over a year ago so it's been fun trying to remember book 1! Surprised how much has come back, but some of the stuff makes me say, "Huh?" So far it's good.

I'm also reading the second book in the Steele series by Susan Sleeman, almost done with that one. Very good.
  • cmsienk
    Options
    It was an easy read and I did like it. I've gone back to a Dan Walsh story that I had abandoned... PERILOUS TREASURE - Book 4 in the Jack Turner Suspense Series. I remember it was harder to get into than the first 3 - I think it's because I'm halfway through and the Jack Turner character hasn't been in the story yet.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    I finished THE SEER'S DRAGON, my beta read. It was very good. I found a couple of edit problems and there was one part that was out of character or written to make me think something untoward was going to happen, but that isn't how the character meant it - just odd for her.

I finished A NAMELESS SOLDIER. It takes place in a made up land, but there wasn't any kind of weird fantasy creatures or magic, just a 19 year old young man who thinks he is the only survivor of a surprise attack on his military unit when their neighboring country tries to take over his country. He is named after a hero, and he refuses to use his name because he doesn't feel worthy of it. When a little girl stops his wanderings and asks him what is wrong he tells her he is sad. She invites him home to get some water and pet her cat so he will feel better and he ends up staying with them to protect them until their uncle returns. Their father is a Sgt. in the military, and he and the oldest girl feel he will not make it home. Just a really touching story. The little girl was so well written.

• connierandel
    connierandel Posts: 1,708 Member
    edited July 2022
    Options
    I have read/listened to a bunch in the last few days. I'm not going to list them all, but a lot were Elana Johnson (Liz Isaacson's clean reads) and Bree Livingston books on YouTube.

Current:
    CROSS SHADOW by Andrew Huff (suspense) - Book 2 in his Shepherd Suspense series. It is very good, but in a hard format to me to listen to, so I have to either read, or be prepared to stop the book and change chapters manually (it's on Cloud Library). I use the application fairly often, because that library is great about buying requested books, but it is a pain in the neck.
    TO CON A GENTLEMAN by Sarah Adams (historical) - I have had this book on hold for months and every time it comes up, I postpone it. I was pretty much caught up on my audiobooks, so decided I needed to go ahead and check it out. I haven't gotten far into it at this point, but it seems like it is going to be pretty good. Kind of a Robin Hood like story, I think. I always put off books in Regency or Victorian England, but once I get into them they are usually pretty good.
  • connierandel
    Options
    I am still reading CROSS SHADOW by Andrew Huff (suspense). I just haven't had the "energy" to get through it on the Cloud Library applicaton. It is a really good book, though. I will get through it and the next one before it returns to the library.

I have been working on a Wagon Train series by Linda Ford. This is not usually my favorite genre, but I needed a light and easy audiobook and the first one was pretty good, so I am working on book 2, now.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    I occasionally to an MOB when I need a light read!

I'm all over the place with my reading, struggling to find something to get into. I just downloaded AMONG THE INNOCENT by Mary Alford. I saw on your list you had liked that one, Connie. I'll start it soon.

I also downloaded the complete KING ARTHUR AND HER KNIGHTS by K M Shea. Not sure I'll get far in it, I've tried reading it in the past but just couldn't get into it. That's odd for me and a KM Shea book. She's written some stuff recently that I'm not into so I haven't read those, but this is something older by her, so we will see. A modern girl pulls out the sword from the stone and is sent back in time - how astonished Merlin is when he finds his long awaited Arthur is a woman! Now he has to try and deceive everyone into believing she's a guy until she does something valiant and then they can reveal she is a woman. Eh!

I've been re-reading several stories just to get into something.
  • connierandel
    Options
    I finished:
    CROSS SHADOW by Andrew Huff (suspense) - He was a CIA agent, turned pastor, and now he is involved in another intrigue.
    An Amish Heirloom: Libby
    A LEGACY OF LOVE by Amy Clipston 4*
    THE CEDAR CHEST by Beth Wiseman 4*
    THE TREASURED BOOK by Kathleen Fuller 4*
    THE MIDWIFE’S DREAM by Kelly Irvin 3.5* - These were typical Amish stories, but were good for something light.

I also finished the Wagon Train series by Linda Ford. They were pretty good, and available on audiobook so easy to get through while doing life.

Current:
    RIGHT CROSS by Andrew Huff (suspense) - #3 in the series. I'm not far into it because I just haven't had the opportunity to read or baby sit it while listening.
    HEALING HIS WIDOWED HEART by Annie Hemby (LI) - For a reading challenge for August - with a body part in the title

I don't have an audiobook started at this point. There are bonus borrows on hoopla this month and I found a few that don't go against my monthly allotment, so I have a bunch to chose from. I also have two that I checked out in July - just under the wire. I will be starting one soon so that I have something to listen to as I go to bed.

• cmsienk
    edited August 2022
    Options
    I'm currently reading A COLORFUL LIFE: AN EMOTIONAL JOURNEY TO LOVE, LIFE & INDIA by Melissa Storm. Having trouble sticking with it though.

ETA: I read a little more this afternoon and I'm worried about it getting inappropriate. Not sure I'll finish this
  • Restfinder
    Options
    I hate when I get into a book and then something inappropriate happens and I won't finish it. I end up being nervous that something else will come up and can't enjoy the book - won't do that to myself. Don't need the garbage.

I am reading Mary Alford's newest story AMONG THE INNOCENT - ooo, kind of creepy, but so far it's been good. I won't read it at night though, so I take time during the day to get a few chapters in. I'm re-reading my Elf series that I really like, and I started a Kate Stradling story BRINE AND BONE, oh my - a creepy re-tell of The Little Mermaid - definitely not the Disney version. The mermaid in this one is a very ugly siren using a "glamour" (magical disguise) to make the prince believe she is beautiful.
  • connierandel
    Options
    I really liked the Mary Alford book...but those are my favorite kind of books!

Current:
    RIGHT CROSS by Andrew Huff (suspense) - yes, I am still working on it. I only have about 50 pages left, so I will probably get it finished tomorrow.

Finished:
    THE APPLE CREEK ANNOUNCEMENT by Wanda Brunstetter (Amish) - her newest. I am enjoying this series. It is mostly about "Englishers" that shop in an Amish antique store.
    A RESTLESS LOVE by Beth White (historical) - This is the last book in the series. It is post Civil War and i have really enjoyed it.
    HER AMISH WEDDING QUILT by Winnie Griggs (Amish) I had never read anything by her, but it was one of the bonus borrows on hoopla, so didn't count against my monthly allotment. It was pretty good.
    TRUE CONFESSIONS by Ruth Hartzler (Amish cozy) another bonus borrow. Since it was a cozy mystery, I thought I would enjoy it more that some of the Amish that just seem to all be the same, but it was just okay.
    HEALING HIS WIDOWED HEART by Annie Hemby (LI) libby -Aug reading Challenge - body part in title
    BOOK, CHAPTER, & VOWS by Chautona Havig - her newest Independence Island book
    THE BEST GIFT by Irene Hannon (LI) Avid challenge - wedding
    EYE OF THE STORM by Hannah Alexander (LI) - pretty good. I enjoy their books since they are medical and set in the vicinity of Branson (usually fictional towns).

I need to start a new ebook and a new audibook, but I don't know where I will land just yet.
  • cmsienk
    edited August 2022
    Options
    I finished A COLORFUL LIFE: AN EMOTIONAL JOURNEY TO LOVE, LIFE & INDIA by Melissa Storm. I didn't run into any more uncomfortable, inappropriate parts, but there were a fair amount of multicultural religion references - enough for me to pass on reading anything more by this author.

I downloaded (for free) and read HER BILLIONAIRE BOSS by Jo Grafford this morning. I was in the mood for this kind of storyline, so I borrowed the next one - HER BILLIONAIRE BODYGUARD - through KU.
  • cmsienk
    Options
    I finished HER BILLIONAIRE BODYGUARD by Jo Grafford and - you guessed it - KU borrowed the next one... HER BILLIONAIRE SECRET ADMIRER. I'm on a roll...
  • cmsienk
    Options
    Finished HER BILLIONAIRE SECRET ADMIRER by Jo Grafford and just borrowed the next in the series - HER BILLIONAIRE BEST FRIEND. I think there are two more books in the series and I'm sure I'll finish those this week.
  • connierandel
    Options
    I read a few Melissa Storm books (mostly with Golden Retrievers) and I finally gave up on her, as well. I totally understand.

I am currently reading
    THE ONE THAT GOT AWAY by Tara Grace Ericson (romance) firefighter romance. Light and easy.

I got busy on some KU borrows and library borrows yesterday and finished
    TONE DEATH by Christy Barritt (suspense) KU
    NECESSARY RISK by Christy Bartitt (suspense) KU
    NO MISTAKEN IDENTITY FOR A COWBOY by Alexa Verde (romance) KU
    A REBEL'S PROMISE by Sara Blackard (suspense)
    CHRISTMAS AT THE CASTLE by Marlene Bierworth (Christmas) KU
    THE HOUSE ON DAGGER POINT by Christy Barritt (suspense) KU
    THE PRINCE'S SECOND CHANCE by Carol Moncado (royal) KU -her newest. I always like her books, but she had some health issues while writing this book, so it was a bit shorter. She said that she is having problems concentrating after a mild case of Covid. She calls it "brain fog" and said that it totally taken her creativity away. Her doctors are fairly positive about it going away, but said it can last for months.

I still need to finish the one book from the library. I only have about 50 pages left and should have finished it yesterday, but forgot it until this evening.

I dont have an audiobook going right now, but I will decide on something before heading to bed.
  • cmsienk
    edited August 2022
    Options
    I finished the "HER BILLIONAIRE" series by Jo Grafford - HER BILLIONAIRE DOUBLE- DATE and HER BILLIONAIRE GEEK. Then I decided I wanted something a little less light and got the Vanishing Ranch 2- book series by Christy Barritt. I finished the first one - FORGOTTEN SECRETS - and started book 2 last night - NECESSARY RISK.
  • connierandel
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Current:
    ANCHORED AT MACKINAC by Carrie Fancett Pagels (historical) - I'm about through with it. I really want to go back to Mackinac Island, but can't see it happening at this point.
    DECEPTION by Patricia Bradley (suspense) just getting ready to start.

Finished
    LAURA'S SHADOW by Allison Pittman (time slip) A novel based on Laura Ingalls Wilder and characters in one of her books. Very good.
    THE LAST WAY HOME by Liz Johnson (romance)
    CROSSFIRE by Lynette Eason (suspense)

• Restfinder
    Options
    Wow, I missed a bunch!

I am reading VENGEANCE IS MINE by Rick Weston. It's in paper form so it's taking me more time than if I could listen to it, but it's pretty good.

I also finished the Mary Alford book, AMONG THE INNOCENT. I didn't read it at night, it's too scary, but I really liked it.

I finished BRINE AND BONE by Kate Stradling, a Little Mermaid loose re-telling. A little bit scary too.

I'm also re-reading my elf story. I'm on book four.

• connierandel
    Options
    Current on book #4 of Winter Deceptions - anthology
    MURDER ON FLIGHT 91 by Lisa Harris & Lynne Gentry (suspense) - Heart transplant patient on flight to Africa and everything happens. Very good.
    TWAS THE NIGHT by Dan Walsh (suspense) - more heartwarming Christmas. I really liked it. It was "recent historical" - 1970s
    ONE WONDERS by Luana Ehrlich (suspense) Very good. This is Book 1 of a new series, Silas McKay.
    THE VOW by D.L. Wood (suspense) - Current read.

I am listening to BUILDING A FUTURE by Amy Clipston - this is a new release book by her. I really didn't intend on doing two Amish books in a row, but this was next up, so I went with it. I was starting it late at night and needed something light, anyway.

Finished:
    HIS LOVE ENDURES FOREVER by Beth Wiseman (Amish) - I thought this was a historical book, but when I started it, I realized that it was actually about a girl that gets pregnant by an Amish guy. It was a bit different, but good.
    A SLENDER THREAD by Tracie Peterson (family drama) - one of her older books that I hadn't read. Not a typical Tracie Peterson book.
    HUNTED by Lisa Phillips (suspense) KU
    BOUND BY MURDER (Beach Bound Books and Beans Mysteries #1) by Christy Barritt - KU