What are you reading

Options

Replies

• connierandel
    connierandel Posts: 1,708 Member
    Options
    I have been MIA for a few days. Sorry. We did have a wonderful trip to Branson, though. Bill did great.

Finished:
    MADDOX by Christy Barritt (Lantern Beach Blackout: Danger Rising 3) KU
    IF YOU ADORE ME by Ciara Knight (romance) good.
    FEATHERS OF HOPE by Sharon Garlough Brown (wms fict) I totally love her books. There are real.spiritual depths in them. I am.thinking there will.be more.
    RELATIVE JUSTICE by Robert Whitlow (legal) - very good!
  • connierandel
    Options
    Amb3r - It is really good to have you here. I am the lover of reading challenges here! So far this year I have completed reading through the states and a 75 book challenge plus I am doing two monthly challenges. Enjoy and let us know how you are doing!
  • connierandel
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Finished
    TEN DATES by Lacy Williams (romance) too short.
    A LIFE WORTH LIVING by TK Chapin (romance) very good, but strange British accent in a book set in Washington state. It was a YouTube audio done with a UI canned voice. It did have a few instances of some slang

Current
    GRACE ACROSS THE MILES by Christine Dillon (wms fic) - I listened to the first two.in the series a long.time ago and the narration (by the author) was awful. I read the next three. This is book 6 and came up on hoopla audio and I decided to give it another try. It was much better, but the UI done on the Chapin book would have been fitting and better. The books are very good, though.
    THE SOULS OF LOST LAKE by Jaime Jo Wright (split time suspense) - her books are always great, but a bit spooky. This is not a book to be reading before bed! All will work out in a non-spooky way, but it takes a while to get there.
  • connierandel
    Options
    I finished the two books listed above and started on the last book in a series I have been reading: LAST LINE OF DEFENSE by Lisa Phillips (Chevalier #5).

I have several audiobooks checked out, but I think that I will do another YouTube audio this afternoon since they don't have sleep timers for bedtime.
  • Restfinder
    Restfinder Posts: 2,347 Member
    Options
    Amb3r - wow what a name you have! I'd love the breakdown of that one - LOL! Congrats on getting the 14 read. I'm awful with challenges - I'm easily bored with a book and if I don't like it or just can't get into it I just won't finish it. I've gone back to some books I haven't finished and have loved them, then there are others where I've gone back to them three or four times and still can't get into them - that's when I figure it's time to give up on that one!

I'm on book three in a re-read of a series by M B Aznoe, a husband wife team. It's a mild fantasy, no crazy creatures, but the characters are given gifts (able to read minds, break thinks using their minds, zero in during battle so the person can anticipate what is going to happen, things like that).

I started a suspense THE PERFECT SPY by Amy Martinsen. It started out pretty good, but it's gotten a bit immature. I'll keep reading it because I have gotten into it, but kind of turned me off in that one spot so I moved back to my re-read.
  • connierandel
    Options
    Finished:
    MULBERRY HOLLOW by Denise Hunter (romance) her newest. Very good.
    THE BLACK SHEEP MASTER BUILDER’S FAKE MARRIAGE by Lucy McConnell (romance) YouTube - pretty good light read
    OPERATION VALENTINE by Elizabeth Maddrey (romance) YouTube - pretty good, but somehow I got the chapters out of order. I guess I must have hit the shuffle button. It really was better listening to them in order- duh!!

Current
    OPERATION FIREWORKS Elizabeth Maddrey (romance) YouTube - I had previously read books 1&4 and found the two middle ones on YouTube, so it works out well.

I don't know what I will listen to at bedtime, but hopefully I won't keep resetting the timer like a did last night. That was a really good book.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    Read some more in THE PERFECT SPY. The section that was very immature was about a flatulent prisoner that they were transferring. It went on for about four or five pages - way too long. Past that point the story has been very good again.

Reading some more in DALMAIN the third book in the fantasy re-read.

I also started THE ELF PRINCE which is an extended version of a novella that the author wrote a year or two ago and then added more to it to make it a 200+ page novel. It's part of a series that I really like and recently re-read!
  • Amb3rPh03n1xr1s1ng
    Amb3rPh03n1xr1s1ng Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi I read the book Children of blood and bone and also Shoes to die for currently reading cappuccinos cupcakes and a corpse
  • connierandel
    Options
    Finished:
    THE EMERALD TIDE by Davis Bunn (Miramar Bay) - His newest, but not my favorite. I kept getting distracted while listening text-to-voice.
    WINNING THE COWBOY BILLIONAIRE by Emmy Eugene (romance) - for a reading challenge author I had never read. It was pretty good. I have a boxed set of them, and am continuing on with it. Weak faith element, but clean.
    AN INCONVENIENT DEATH by Dan Walsh (susp) - Very good. I have the last in the series checked out in KU.
    A SEEKING HEART by Danni Roan (Georgia Peaches #6) - Part of stand alone, multi-author series that I am reading through. They all are short and easy reads with a little suspense thrown in.

Current:
    CLAIMING HER LEGACY by Linda Goodnight (historical)
    ROPING THE COWBOY BILLIONAIRE by Emmy Eugene (romance)
  • Restfinder
    Options
    Woohoo, I won a giveaway from Goodreads, a Wanda Brunstetter book.

I finished Tara Grayce's rewrite of ELF PRINCE, so good. She had it originally as a bonus story for those who are part of her newsletter and have read FIERCEHEART, but she made it into a 250 or so page novel. I enjoyed it.

I am still working on DALMAIN the third book in this fantasy re-read.

• connierandel
    Options
    I recently won a copy of The Do Over by Bethany Turner and The Souls Of Lost Lake by Jaime Jo Wright. I didn't read from the paper copies, though. That's just too much work.

Current:
    THE DO OVER by Bethany Turner- but on audio 😀
  • Restfinder
    Options
    I finished THE PERFECT SPY by Amy Martinsen and am half-way through book two HOLD YOUR BREATH. The writing is easy in these stories and the story flows seamlessly along so you don't realize how long you've been listening. The characters are fun as well. The heroine is a CIA operative and her boy friend is as well; but she is part of an all female/mom team and they are spunky ladies which gives a lighter side to the story. Fun and clean.

I read some more in DALMAIN as well.
  • connierandel
    Options
    Kim, I checked out the two Amy Martinsen books. I will get to them sometime. I now have all 20 of my KU books checked out, so I need to get busy!

Finished:
    THE BAXTERS by Karen Kingsbury (prequel to series) - kind of nice to get a starting point for the series.
    THE MEMORY HOUSE by Linda Goodnight (split time) - not a really "Christian" flavor to the book, but not offensive. There was one situation that was illuded to, but totally left up to imagination. I really enjoyed it.

Current:
    TRAINING THE COWBOY BILLIONAIRE by Emmy Eugene (romance) - I haven't read any of it today. If I do, I need to get it going. These books are pretty good.
    READY TO PROTECT by Valerie Hansen (LI susp) - I will start this before bedtime.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    I have really enjoyed the Martinsen books, Connie - well, except for those pages where they are transporting a prisoner and he struggles with flatulence - way too immature a section for me. I just finished HOLD YOUR BREATH and it was very good! She writes kind of like a story teller and I really liked that.

I finished DALMAIN and am moving on to Jyrya, the last story in the series. We are in the middle of a war!
  • connierandel
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Oh my, KIm. I just read your comments about the Martinsen books....and after your comment on book 1, it makes me wonder about the title of book 2. :smile: :smiley::wink:

I have been working through a series of audiobooks on YouTube.
    Good Girls Don't Come Last
    COLD FEET by Jennifer Youngblood (rom com)
    PRACTICALLY PERFECT by Jennifer Youngblood (rom com)
    HIGH HEELS AND BIG DEALS by Jennifer Youngblood (rom com) - current. I don't know if I will get it finished before bed tonight. If not, I will start something that I can sleep time before bed. These have been light and easy listens.

Finished:
    READY TO PROTECT by Valerie Hansen (LI susp)

I'm still working on the Emmy Eugene books. It is a 4 book box set and I am on book 3. These are full length books, so they are taking a while. There are 8 books total. I may read the next 4 later, but they aren't available in a boxed set at this time, so they would have to be counted as 4 books on KU instead of just one.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    I thought of that too, Connie! Wonder if she did that on purpose!

I started book four in my re-read, JYRYA by M B Aznoe.

I also started a Regency this morning: BIRDIE AND THE BEASTLY DUKE by Sofi Laporte. I haven't read anything by her before so we'll see, but so far it's pretty good. Two gals meet on a stage coach in England and they end up trading positions, one to go and marry a Duke and the other to be a governess. Birdie is a plump freckled gal, just 21, but already on the shelf; the other is a beautiful girl who is in love with the Vicar's son and really really does not want to marry someone she's never met!

I think I am going to start GLIMMER IN THE DARKNESS by Robin Patchen. Have you read that series, Connie? Book five is coming out and I have two of the Coventry Saga books but they are on KU too; I also have books 1-4 of the Nutfield Saga.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    I started a book last night about a girl who is raised with her outlaw family and treated brutally, she tries to escape but it just makes things worse. She helps a lady on a train robbery and she tells her marshall son about her. Wow, the story was good, then they cussed! Arghhh. Christian fiction too. It was titled something like The Marshal and the Outlaw, I returned it to KU before I wrote a review to warn folks, so I'm warning you! LOL!

I listened a little bit more to Jyrya and then that story I ended up getting rid of.
  • connierandel
    Options
    I have read the Coventry Series by Robin Patchen and really enjoyed it...but I noted that there was slang in book 2. The Nutfield Saga is two different series combined and I am pretty sure I have all of read that one as well. The one book is all I noted with slang.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    I finished ONCE A THIEF by Jan Thompson; it's part of a three book set, Once a Hero is next.

I finished AWAKENED by T E Bradford and started another book by her, CHILD OF PROPHESY, but had to quit, there was just too much strong slang in it.

I finished THE SHADOW ELF'S RESCUER by Elisa Rae, a fantasy. I've enjoyed this series so far.

I also finished MAID AND MINSTREL by Kate Stradling, a re-telling of King Thrushbeard. I really like her tales!

Still re-reading Jyrya.
  • connierandel
    Options
    Finished:
    TROUBLE IN PARADISE by Robin Lee Hatcher (romance) - one of her older books that just showed up in audio on hoopla. Very good. I always enjoy her books. I found a bunch of her back list on KU, too. I have a couple checked out.
    THE RAIN SPARROW by Linda Goodnight (split time) - part of a series, but not overtly Christian. She writes a lot of Christian fiction, and these are clean.

California Dreaming collection - short clean novellas KU read & listen
    TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE by Heather B Moore
    GONE FISHING by Kaylee Baldwin
    THE PIER CHANGES EVERYTHING by Annette Lyon
    A HERO'S SONG by Jennifer Moore
    STAY WITH ME by Shannon Guymon (short novella)
    A PLACE TO CALL HOME by Sarah M Eden (short novella)

Current:
    SHADES OF LIGHT by Sharon Garlough Brown (wms fict) her books are really different and have profound truths, but sometimes a bit of slang. I think the content is worth a slang word once or twice a book, but I know some that won't - no outright cussing. This is book one in a series and I have already read books 2 & 3 - I don't know how I missed this one. It explains a lot, though.
    DRIVING FORCE by Lynette Eason & Kate Angelo (susp) - Very good! This is part of her newest series that she is writing with new authors. I asked two libraries to purchase and one said it wasn't available through their resources and the other didn't purchase as soon as it came out (unusual) but it came up this week, anyway! WooHoo!

Well, I have a ton of books checked out from different libraries, so I need to get busy and forget KU and YouTube audiobooks for a little while to get caught up. It is funny how it seems that everything from my holds comes up at the same time...as soon as I check out several from hoopla. At least I have the 3 week checkout timeframe.