What are you reading

Options

Replies

• connierandel
    connierandel Posts: 1,708 Member
    Options
    Michelle Massaro's book (GRACE IN THE FLAMES) was very good. It was long, over 450 pages, and VERY intense, so not an easy read. I will read the next in the series, but am not rushing into it. I need some light reading in between these.

I also finished NEVER LEAVE ME by Jody Hedlund (time travel). I really enjoyed it. I know that Jody Hedlund books are going to have a little steam, but to me it was nothing objectionable.

I decided that before I got into anything intense, I would listen to some easy books. The first two were hoopla audio, and the last 2 are YouTube.
    STEALING SARAH by Lacy Williams (romance)
    KEEPING KAYLA by Lacy Williams (romance) - short and easy books
    ONE BIG MISTAKE by Jennifer Youngblood (romance)
    ONE SOUTHERN COWBOY by Jennifer Youngblood (romance) - current book.

I have a ton of audiobooks checked out right now, and my KU is full. I need to get going!

• Restfinder
    Restfinder Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Oh dear, if she is as emotionally charged as a Karen Kingsbury book, I may not read her. I had to quit reading Kingsbury, I sobbed through every book!!!

Thanks for the info, Connie. I may go back and give it a try. It's on Hoopla, so no cost to me to give it another chance.

I am still working on the two fantasies I am re-reading. I am continuing to try and get through the latest Nano-stealth book by Vicki Kestell but it's been difficult. There is a super wicked faction trying to overtake the Church and some of the stuff is rather sleazy, don't like the images it conjures! But I think we are past that now so we will see what happens. The first part of the book is very "preachy" and I don't always agree with what he is saying, so I skipped through quite a bit of that and ran into this! We'll see what's next and if I get through this one. I really liked all the others.
  • connierandel
    Options
    Kim - just to be honest, I'm not sure that you would really enjoy the Michelle Massaro books. Alcoholism, prostitution (one time), pregnancy of prostitute, lots of really hard subjects. VERY good, though. To me it was better than Karen Kingsbury.

Finished:
    WONDERFUL LONESOME by Olivia Newport (Amish - historical)
    MEEK AND MILD by Olivia Newport (Amish - historical) - These were different. They dealt with historical issues with the Amish. I liked the second one much better than the first, but it may have been because I understood the premise better. It was actually funny because it was in the 1920's and one of the guys got a car - before they were banned.
    THE LADY OF GALWAY MANOR by Jennifer Deibel (historical) -took place in Ireland. It was good, but really not my favorite genre. I have read some of her other books and enjoyed as well.
    MARRY ME KATIE by Lisa Prysock (Whispers In Wyoming #5) - this one had me laughing out loud.
    A FORGETFUL HEART by Rachel Skatvold (Whispers In Wyoming #6)

Current:
    MERCY’S LIGHT by Danni Roan (Whispers In Wyoming #7) - I am reading through the books that I haven't already read. This shows on my list that I had read it, but it doesn't show it as "read" on the book and I don't remember anything about it. This is one that has been sitting on my kindle for a while. These are light and easy.

I don't have an audiobook going right now. I will find something before bedtime.
  • connierandel
    Options
    Finished:
    FALLING FORWARD by Danni Roan (Whispers In Wyoming #10) There are over 30 books in this series and I have a bunch of them. I decided I needed to start trying to read them. They are by several different authors, and have all been good. Good easy reads.
    FREEDOM OF THE SONG by Phyllis Clark Nichols - this is book 2 of the series. It is good, but another author that narrates her own books, and it would be better if she didn't. She does write and perform music throughout the book, though. The book was very good. The series features a pianist and a 12 year old musical savant that finds her.
    RANSOM FOR A SONG by Phyllis Clark Nichols - the next book in the series. This one was a lot more suspenseful, but very good if you could get through the slang of one character. Kim, you would quit reading it as soon as this one woman comes up - and she's on a type of missionary trip? This is the last one that is available on hoopla, and I am definitely not paying the price for her books, so probably won't read more.

Current:
    THE CROSS COWBOY by Elana Johnson (romance) - Liz Isaacson's alter ego. She writes "clean", but basically they have a Christian influence. This one is pretty good.
    THE QUILTING HOUSE by Elizabeth Bromke - I turned this one off because I kept letting my mind wander around. I will try it again later when I can concentrate on it for a while. I may have to go back a chapter or two....

I have a huge list of audiobooks right now. I used the rest of my 20 monthly borrows on Hoopla, then had some come up from holds in Libby. I need to get busy.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    I read some in my fantasy re-read last night, but was so tired I just went to sleep about 10:30. I got about 8.5 hours of sleep last night but still feel very tired.
  • connierandel
    Options
    Finished:
    TRUST ME by Kelly Irvin (suspense) Very good. Since I am a bit burned out on suspense right now, this may have pulled me out of the slump. It had a little different premise. Very good.
    THE PURSUIT OF LUCY BANNING by Olivia Newport (historical) - I really enjoyed this book. It took place during the planning and the very first of the Chicago World's Fair. I will read more in the series. I have really enjoyed her books about genealogy (her newest series), so decided to go back to some of her back list. The historical Amish books were good as well.
    COWBOY WALKING AWAY by Jessie Gussman (romance) - This is her newest release and was good.

Current:
    MEET ME IN THE MARGINS by Melissa Ferguson (romance)- just getting starting on it. It starts with humor.
  • connierandel
    Options
    Finished: LOOKING FOR LEROY by Melody Carlson. It was so good! It took place in a vinyard, but had very little actual drinking in it. It is her newest book and definitely had humor involved.

MEET ME IN THE MARGINS by Melissa Ferguson also had a lot of humor and was very good.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    I finally finished the last book available in the Nano-Stealth series, STEALTH INSURGENCE. I didn't like it nearly as much as the others but it does have a very strong "Charismatic" Christian message. In the story, the nanomites are able to gain intelligence, they can learn. At some point in the story Jesus speaks to them and gives them a mission. They follow Jesus and obey Him, but realize that they cannot be saved because they aren't human, but they see His authority. Hmmm??? They bring up the point about the rocks praising God if people won't, and that nothing is impossible with God... Just very strange.

I forgot about my Hoopla books so I haven't finished the Ravenwood series quite yet, but am close.
  • connierandel
    Options
    I've read several Whispers In Wyoming books lately. There are over 30 of them and I had about 20. The others are available.in KU. They are by several different authors and are contemporary. They are between 175-250 pages and easy reads. Right now I am reading RACING DESTINY by Danni Roan (Whispers In Wyoming 13). It is about a rodeo bull.rider that gets hurt. Its pretty good.

I am listening to SUGARCREEK SURPRISE by Wanda Brunstetter (Amish).
  • Restfinder
    Options
    I started THE CHOICE by Bradley Caffee which is the second book in the Chase Runner Series. It's a futuristic story. So far so good.

I am also on the last book in the K M Shea series I am re-reading, QUEEN'S CROWN. Almost done with this fantasy.

I am going to start a pre-read by Brittany Fichter, THE SEVEN YEAR PRINCESS (a Maid Maleen re-telling, an unfamiliar fairy tale for me)
  • connierandel
    Options
    I listened to a "clean" YouTube audiobook by Victorine Lieske, ACCIDENTALLY MARRIED. It was totally unrealistic, but light and entertaining. I also listened to THE FARMER'S DAUGHTER by Jeri Le. I had never heard of her, but it was on hoopla, so I decided to try it. It was about a 50 something lady that takes early retirement to make sure that everything is okay with her dad on the family farm. It was very good.

Currently reading ENCHANTING THE HEIRESS by Kristi Ann Hunter (regency). It's okay, but definitely not my favorite genre and I'm taking my time getting through it.

I have an Amish anthology checked out that I will start listening to later this evening.
  • connierandel
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Finished:
    THE LEGEND OF LOLLIPOP by Lisa Prysock (Whispers In Wyoming #16) KU
    TO WIN HER HEART by Tina Dee (Whispers In Wyoming #17)
    HIS HEART, HER LOVE by Jo Grafford (Whispers In Wyoming #18)
    Braxton series Scribd
    THE DEMISE by Diane Moody (suspense)
    THE LEGACY by Diane Moody (suspense)
    THE SIBLING by Diane Moody (suspense) - VERY good series. This was like 28 hours of audio, though.
    An Amish Market hoopla
    LOVE BIRDS by Amy Clipston
    A BID FOR LOVE by Kathleen Fuller
    SWEETER THAN HONEY by Kelly Irvin
    LOVE IN STORE by Vanetta Chapman - Pretty typical Amish, but good.

Current:
    LOVE’S FORTRESS by Jennifer Uhlarik (Doors to the Past #7) cloud - Very good split-time. Dealing with current day and 1800's St. Augustine Florida when they brought in dissenting Native American leaders into the fort there. It deals with "ledger art" from that time.

The Diane Moody trilogy was probably my last Scribd read. I really haven't gotten that many books from it that I can't get from hoopla or libby. It keeps shutting itself off on my phone, and when I use the sleep format on my fire, it doesn't always shut off after allotted time. I need to close out the account by April 4, but think I may just go ahead and do it.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    Reading several things at once again. I am doing some re-reads of books from long ago, trying to see if I can find that book that's been on my mind for awhile - wah, can't find it! I am still working on a new futuristic one, THE CHOICE, not as good as the pre-quel or book one.
  • connierandel
    Options
    I just finished LOVE’S FORTRESS by Jennifer Uhlarik (Doors to the Past #7). This was really good. I have enjoyed all of these books. They are all stand alone and are about lesser known historical events.
  • pianolady831
    pianolady831 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I am thoroughly enjoying MISSING ISAAC by Valerie Fraser Luesse. It's beautiful southern fiction, a favorite genre of mine, and the author knows her stuff because I read that she works for Southern Living magazine. I came across a scene that's too good not to share. The setting is an all-day church singing in Alabama, with the not-so-talented Miss Thelma about to sing "He Lives." Unbeknownst to her, while sitting outside a few minutes earlier, a little green snake had dropped down into the flowers of her hat ...
    By the time Miss Thelma got to the chorus, there was no denying that something was moving on her hat - that something on her hat was alive. A little green snake was having a look around. He had slithered his way to the front of Miss Thelma's spacious hat brim and raised himself up, flicking his tongue and moving his head from side to side. The whole church sat in stunned silence, mouths hanging open, unable to move or speak. Just as Miss Thelma hit the long-dreaded high note and opened her eyes to take in the admiration of her audience, the snake dipped over the brim of her hat and looked her in the eyes with his flickering forked tongue.

Miss Thelma's high note turned into a bloodcurdling scream. She screamed till she ran out of breath, and then she sucked in some air and screamed again - screamed but did not move. The snake kept flicking his tongue and swaying from side to side, right in her face.

"Hold still, Thelma!" my granddaddy called as he ran up the three steps to the podium. With a wave of his hand, he tapped the underside of her hat and it went sailing to the floor, snake and all. But Miss Thelma kept right on screaming. Finally he grabbed a glass of water from inside the podium and threw it in her face. She looked at him as if she had just come out of a trance and then fainted dead away with a loud thud.

The little green snake was slithering up the aisle toward the front door, as if he needed to hurry into position to greet the congregation after the benediction. One of the ushers opened the door and shooed him into the sunshine.

Now that's a scene that I could see happening at the little church in the north Georgia mountains that I visited as a child, when spending time with my grandparents.
  • connierandel
    Options
    I listened to that book a year or so ago, but I totally forgot that scene. How funny! I love it.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    Thanks for that laugh, Carole! Oh my, I wouldn't have bothered to scream, I would have just fainted dead away! Mom had a funny moment while we were on our way to Church one morning. She lived next door to the church with a graveyard in between her house and the church. As we were walking along a little green snack slithered between her feet. I had never heard Mom scream or lose her "cool", but she was screaming and dancing to get out of that snake's way. Of course, Wade and I were doubled over laughing once we got the snake to move on! It took awhile, but mom was able to laugh about it later as well!

I finally finished the Ravenwood series that I was reading - took a few years, but I got there - LOL! It was good and had a good salvation, trust in God message. I'm jumping from book to book trying to find something that will catch my attention.
  • connierandel
    Options
    I am listening to BRENTWOOD'S WARD by Michelle Griep. I needed an audiobook to listen to prior to sleep last night. I usually enjoy her books, so I also put the next I. The series on hold. How funny - just as I was typing that, the phone plinked and said that it is available.

I am getting ready to read DOGGED BY DEATH by Laura Scott. I usually enjoy a good cozy, and Laura Scott's books are always good, so I decided to check it out from the library.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    I read BRENTWOOD'S WARD a few years ago and really enjoyed it.

I'm still just wandering. I finished an easy Western JAKE'S HONOR, COWBOYS OF COOLEE CROSSING by Linda Ford. It's about four brothers and a sister. This was the first book, I got book five for free so thought I would try the series. This was fairly typical, but the writing was good and it read quickly.

I'm reading A PERILOUS PLAN by Melanie Dickerson, so far it is quite good.

Re-reading other stuff but haven't finished anything I've started in a few days! LOL!
  • pianolady831
    pianolady831 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Just finished FOREVER HIDDEN by the Peterson/Woodhouse duo. I listened to the first half, then changed to the ebook because it was going too slow and I was having trouble keep up with it. Ebook worked much better for me on this one. I loved the Alaska setting, but didn't get a good feel for it. Maybe setting is harder to convey by audio, or harder for me to pick up on. I look forward to the other two books in this series.