What are you reading

Replies

• connierandel
    connierandel Posts: 1,804 Member
    Kim - I am getting ready to start the most recent of that Hallee Bridgeman series. They are a bit more intense than most of her books, but very good.

I have been listening to some Hallmark audio books through the library. There are some really good Christmas ones and most are sqeaky clean. The last one had one inappropriate word in about the last 2 minutes of the book...so unnecessary!
  • Restfinder
    Restfinder Posts: 2,540 Member
    I hate when they do that. I don't like to read on from a bad word, but that close to the end I probably would - cringe! I don't have cable anymore so I won't be watching the Hallmark movies this Christmas. We watch Pluto, Roku TV, and YouTube, so unless they show up there it's not likely we'll see any this year.

I finished SAMARA'S PERIL by Jaye Knight and will go on to the last book in this series, EXILES. They've met "Jesus" whom the book calls Elon (God the Father is Elom). Sometimes these stories get pretty intense. BITTER WINTER is the last book in the story. It's basically and good vs evil story.

I'm on Stage Six in Pilgrim's Progress, about halfway through. The Giant Despair has just captured Christian and Hopeful!

• connierandel
    edited November 2022
    Kim - Hallmark is on Roku Live TV (free). It isn't the regular Hallmark, but the Hallmark Movie Channel. Channel 387 on Roku Live. There are so many channels there that it is hard to keep up with. With all of the freebies, why pay for TV? We have cable because Bill can't figure out how to navigate the Roku/Fire TV, but I set it up for him. I want to get rid of cable, but my BIL doesn't want to go to Roku, so we will wait a while.

Here is a printable list of Roku live channels. https://thechannellist.com/roku-channels-list/

I am currently reading Liz Isaacson's TRACE. It is pretty good. I was wanting something a bit different than romantic suspense, so this works.

I finished HONOR'S REFUGE by Hallee Bridgeman (Love and Honor #3). One of the monthly reading challenges that I do every month had to have a veteran in the story, so this worked well. I have really enjoyed the series.

I will start on an audiobook before bed tonight. I am not sure what I will listen to. I picked out a bunch of older or unknown authors on hoopla to finish out my October allotment. Most of the them are my first to expire, so I will try something I don't know much about. We will see. I have some new books that just came out on Libby, but they are later expirations.

• Restfinder
    I'm reading the first book in that Hallee Bridgeman series, Connie, and enjoying it a lot. Lots of military jargon - hard for my brain to figure out what they are talking about. LOL!

I started to read PERIL by Tara Grayce. It was supposed to be one of those novellas that author's add to series to explain or give us parts that got left out. This one ended up being a short length novel! I've read this series at least three times! Love it.

Also continuing to read Pilgrim's Progress as well.
  • connierandel
    I decided to listen to another Hallmark audiobook instead of the next to expire.

Finished:
    CHRISTMAS IN EVERGREEN: BELLS ARE RINGING by Lacey Baker (Hallmark) - didn't hear any inappropriate language in this one.
    TRACE by Liz Isaacson (romance) KU
    KEEPING WATCH by Jane M Choate (LIS)

Current:
    THE AMISH QUILTMAKER’S UNCONVENTIONAL NIECE by Jennifer Beckstrand (Amish)

I need to find another audiobook before bed tonight. I think I will start one that I don't really care about because if I get really involved in something, I won't sleep well. It seems like that happens a lot that on Saturday night I have a hard time sleeping and just keep resetting the sleep timer on my book. Then I have to get up a lot earlier on Sunday to get everything done, get Bill up and prod him along to get ready for church.

• cmsienk
    cmsienk Posts: 18,735 Member
    Just finished book one - Honor Bound - in the Hallee Bridgman Love and Honor Series. Downloading and starting book two now - Word Of Honor.
  • connierandel
    I really have enjoyed that series.

Currently reading EXIT BETTY by Grace Livingston Hill. I needed to read something that made me feel nostalgic for a reading challenge. Her books always make me think about college and my roommate that introduced them to me.

I finished A STITCH IN TIME by Allison Bottke (wms fict). I didn't know what to expect with this one, but it was very good. It was about a woman that had gastric bypass surgery and lost 150 pounds. She went through a lot of marital issues, health issues and family issues. I wouldn't have chosen it except I was running low on books I was wanting to listen to on hoopla and still had some borrows left for October.

I don't have an audiobook going right now. I have a couple more that didn't really excite me from my October borrows, so I will pick another to start before bed. I am looking forward to getting through those and get to some new books that came up from libby.

After the first of November, I noticed a genre on the hoopla site that was listed as "westerns". I decided to check what was there and there are a bunch of Christian and clean authors on there with contemporary books. One series by Liz Isaacson that she never put on KU is there, so that will help with November. It seems like they haven't bought many Christian audiobooks recently.
  • cmsienk
    I am also enjoying it. I finished book two -
    Word Of Honor ‐ this morning. Heading outside for some yard work. Will probably download book 3 and start on that tonight
  • Restfinder
    I'm still working on HONOR BOUND. I'm reading Christiana's story from Pilgrim's Progress as well, as listen to that one first, then I am working on two other books, HONOR BOUND and REALM OF THORNS by R J Larson (Hoopla borrow). I'm enjoying them all very much.
  • connierandel
    Wow - maybe these desperation borrows from hoopla are not a bad thing. I returned 2 of the Amanda Flower books because I didn't like the "magic" in them, but the actual Christian fiction that I downloaded has been very good.

Current listen:
    THE BLUE BOTTLE CLUB by Penelope J Stokes (split time) hoopla - Very good. It is a long book, written in 1999, but is good. It is about a reporter that is given a blue bottle (when a house is demolished) with the dreams and plans of a group of girls at about the time of the stock market crash. She tries then to find these women or their stories. I have a couple hours left in it.

I don't have an ebook going right now, but I have a couple that came up today on libby. One is a Christy award finalist and the other is an old Susan Sleeman book. I will start one or the other when this book is over.
  • cmsienk
    What I like best about the Halle Bridgeman Love and Honor series is how each book is different. Sometimes a series seems very cookie-cutter to me. I like the ribbon of some of the characters being in each story, but each story really being able to stand on its own. I started the 3rd one last night - Honor's Refuge.
  • cmsienk
    I finished book three. I wish there were more.
  • Restfinder
    I'm just getting ready to start book 2 in the Hallee Bridgeman series.

Wow, I thought for sure I had THE BLUE BOTTLE CLUB, Connie, but I just looked for it and I don't! Oh good, Hoopla had the audio version, so I borrowed that!

I'm reading one on Hoopla right now, they didn't have audio, it's a mild fantasy.

I'm still reading Christiana's story in Pilgrim's Progress. I think I like her story better because she doesn't fall into the same traps that Christian did, and she has Greatheart to lead her to a certain point, so he helped her avoid the same traps Christian fell into - hmmm, sounds like what a pastor does for us!

I'm also reading THE GOLDEN PRINCESS by Melanie Cellier, a retelling of Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves. So far it's very good. I don't think I haven't like any of her books.

I started PERIL by Tara Grayce but haven't gotten very far in it. I want to finish what I'm reading before getting into another book!
  • connierandel
    Finished:
    Ozark Mountain series: These were good and had some humor. I needed it!
    AT LOVE’S BIDDING by Regina Jennings (historical)
    HER DEARLY UNINTENDED by Regina Jennings (historical)
    FOR THE RECORD by Regina Jennings (historical)

EXIT BETTY by Grace Livingston Hill (historical) 3* Cozy feel for a challenge.
    MR. NICHOLAS: A MAGICAL CHRISTMAS TALE by Christopher de Vinck (Christmas) Christy finalist - short and pretty good
    RODEO STANDOFF by Susan Sleeman (LIS)
    SUNDOWN by Susan May Warren (susp) very good
    HIS DELIGHTFUL LADY DELIA by Grace Hitchcock (historical) I have enjoyed this series.
    SEEKING TRANQUILITY by Amy Schisler - good book, Catholic theology (not a lot), may have had one instance of slang, but I was about asleep and didn't go back to check if it really was or not.

Not reading anything right at this minute. I will get something picked out and started within the next few minutes. I still have a bunch of library books to get through.

• Restfinder
    I watched a really good Hallmark movie the other night, using the categories on my Roku - they have a bunch of Hallmark or Hallmark-like stuff under Movies. This one was a Max Lucado one called The Christmas Candle - very good! Susan Boyle has a role in it, and oh my, how that woman can sing!

I started the second book in Hallee Bridgeman's series, Bill Sanders and the gang are just heading out to, I assume, help her take down this gang who killed her partner. Wow, that was a shocker beginning! Oops - spoiler alert!

I'm almost done with Christiana's Pilgrimage and will go on to Holy War after that.

I finished the Hoopla book I was reading, FORFEIT, but they don't have book two and I want to read it in order since they just move from one book to the next. This story takes places a couple of generations after her other series that begins with PROPHET. It takes place around where the Prophet came from, Parn, and the total destruction of that city because of their wickedness - now bad things happen in that general area! I've really enjoyed it so far, just have to wait to get book two - hmmm, Christmas is coming up! Yippee!

• connierandel
    Kim - have you looked under Roku Live? Hallmark Movies and More is on there...free. We use Ruku live more than most anything. Of course, you watch what it has live, like regular TV, but it has a good assortment of channels.

Finished:
    LOVE AND THE DREAM COME TRUE by Tammy L Gray (romance) this is the last in the series, but is stand alone. It was really good.
    THE COWBOY'S EASTER FAMILY WISH by Lous Richer (LI) This was a really good story about an autistic boy. There was a bit more to it than regular Love Inspired stories.
    Targeted - boxed set These were all good.
    ON THE RUN by Lynette Eason
    DEADLY OBJECTIVE by Lynn H Blackburn
    CAUGHT ON THE CROSSHAIRS by Natalie Walters

I need to figure out what I am going to read and listen to next. I have a couple of ebooks checked out on libby and a few audiobooks between libby and hoopla. The two audiobooks with the closest return dates are historical (Penelope Stokes WW2, and Tracie Peterson). I really would like a contemporary, so may go forward to one I just checked out.

• Restfinder
    I'll check that out, Connie! Thanks.

Still working on the same stuff!
  • connierandel
    Well, my Tracie Peterson book really wasn't. It was A MODEL OF DEVOTION by Mary Connealy (historical). It was good, but I miss her more lighthearted books.

Currently I am reading HEALING SKYE by Janet Ferguson. It just won a Medallion award and I had read the rest of the series. It is very good.

Not sure what I will listen to tonight. I will probably do the WW2 book.
  • connierandel
    Susan Sleeman's latest release came up on libby. It should be on KU soon. I always enjoy her books. With all of her health issues over the last couple of years, mostly due to her terrible fall, I marvel that she can still write. Anyway, I just finished MADE OF STEELE by Susan Sleeman (susp).

I am currently listening to HOME FIRES BURNING by Penelope J Stokes (WW2). I am having a hard time with this one. I try to listen before bed and fall asleep before it kicks off, then have to back up to find my place. I think.it is good, I'm just worn out.
  • Restfinder
    I've started several, but am consistently reading:
    HOLY WAR by John Bunyan, very good. I have two more by him I'll read when I'm done with this one.

Still working on but am about 75% through the second book by Hallee Bridgeman - WORD OF HONOR,

I'm also working on FORFEITED by R J Larson
    and RECRUIT OF TALIONIS by C J Milacci.

Ugh, my keyboard is starting to mess up - my Ctrl key is sticking and now my Caps Lock key is popping and beginning to stick. Time to look for a new one.