What are you reading

Options

Replies

• cmsienk
    cmsienk Posts: 18,384 Member
    Options
    I finished The Heart Hopes last night and will probably start the next in the series - Two Hearts Denied - later today.
  • Restfinder
    Restfinder Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    I just couldn't get back into the third book in the Hallee Bridgeman series - he's mad at God because "He took his brother". Ugh, I get tired of that scenario. Ok, so heaven is an awful place to be? It's better to be here in this world that keeps getting darker and darker just so you can experience love and marriage and whatever else you'll miss out on if you die? Yes, for those who aren't saved, by all means - stay alive! You need to give your heart to Jesus so that when your time comes you can go to heaven where you will have joy and peace and never be sick or grow old... Hmmm, earth and sickness, and aging, and struggle or a life forever in light and peace and joy??? Why do these authors make going home to heaven such a bad choice for people? Make it more about how you will miss them, not that God is an ogre for taking them!!! Ok, rant over.

I've been listening to my Bible for a bit before I go into my fiction, that's been very enjoyable.
  • connierandel
    connierandel Posts: 1,708 Member
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Bill and I used to take Bible CDs with us on road trips. We always enjoyed getting our Bible reading that way. On one Colorado trip we got all of the way through the New Testament and one Old Testament book that our Pastor was teaching on...don't remember which one, though.

Currently I am reading DOG DAYS OF SUMMER by Kathleen Y’Barbo (Gone To The Dog's series). I read the first one last month. They are about a pet rescue organization and different people connected to it. The was written by Janice Thompson. It looks like book for is ready for pre-order, but I will get through the library. The are cute and kind of mystery. Fun reads, in other words.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    Working on Radialloy sci-fi. It's hard to put down because there's no lag time, just goes from one situation to another! Fun!

I'm going through the color-coded Bible I did on the computer, filling in things I missed the first time. I'm starting in Genesis and will try to go all the way through, hopefully over the next year.
  • connierandel
    Options
    I finished THE NOBLE GUARDIAN by Michelle Griep. Historical England is never my favorite, but many times I enjoy after I get into the books. I have an Elizabeth Camden Christmas book checked out, but I need something else between them.

I also finished a couple Christy Barritt books.
    FATAL VENDETTA by Christy Barritt (Vanishing Ranch #7) KU
    TROUBLED TIDINGS by Christy Barritt (Vanishing Ranch #8) freebie novella

Current:
    THE CHRISTMAS TOWN by Donna Vanliere (Christmas).
  • Restfinder
    Options
    I started another of the Vanishing Ranch books last night, 5 - LETHAL BETRAYAL. Not too far in, but lots of action from the get-go!
    I also started BOUND BY MURDER by Christy Barritt, her Beach Bound Books and Beans series, book 1) So far it's been pretty good.

I started the second book in a fantasy series FIRMAMENT: IN HIS IMAGE by J Grace Pennington. This is the sequel to Radialloy. Again, lots of action right from the start.

I'm trying to listen to another sequel called ABERRATION by Cathy McCrumb, another sci-fi. I'm not enjoying the audiobook as much as I enjoyed reading the first book. The reader reads with an attitude and it's hard to get past that. Hoopla doesn't have the e-book, just the audio, so I will slog through some more and see if I can get into it. I have an e-book borrowed by Melanie Dickerson, VEIL OF WINTER, part of a series by her. If I can't get into the first one I'll move on to her book.

I don't think I will have a list this month, I haven't really kept up with what I have actually finished reading! LOL! I've started and stopped quite a few!
  • connierandel
    Options
    I am stopping my 2022 list and starting on 2023 a little early. I'm not sure about a couple reading challenges that I usually complete since they haven't been published at this point, but I can start working through the states and the two monthly ones that I have.

Current read:
    THE GIFT by Shelley Gray (Amish) - This will work for one of my challenges for January that the book has to start with "THE" and will tick off Kentucky on my states.

Finished"
    RESCUING THE WEAK by Anne Perreault - This is book #3 of a series that I have really enjoyed. This will tick off Connecticut on my states list, and I think that the big challenge I am waiting for will have a "Black Cover" prompt - she posted several items that she was considering for the challenge, but not the final list.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    Oh boy, not a lot of authors do black covers! I thought about BLACK by Ted Dekker, but the cover on that one is green - go figure! LOL!

I started THE ROGUE PRINCESS by Melanie Cellier last night and didn't want to put it down. It is part of a series that includes her other series characters as well. Now to remember them all! Two of the previous characters showed up in this one and I was trying to remember them. One I figured out, but don't remember the other one - it's been years since I read that series!

• connierandel
    edited January 2023
    Options
    I think I will do Robin Lee Hatcher's newest book on the "Black Cover". All She Ever Dreamed has a LOT of black on the cover, so I think it will work. If not, there is a Grace Livingston Hill book that is basically all black with a flower on it.

Current:
    THE SISTERS OF SEA VIEW by Julie Klassen - This will tick off "takes place in a foreign country". It is good, but long. It is about 30 pages shy of another of the challenges that is harder to fill. Now I have to find a book over 450 pages. If one doesn't come up soon, I will search one out. Staci Stallings and Lori Wick have some longer books, if I haven't already read them.

Getting ready to start:
    ALL THE LOST PLACES by Amanda D.ykes (won't let me type her name correctly). Her books are so good, so I know I will enjoy it. This will tick off the challenge "book with a map inside."
  • Restfinder
    Options
    OOO, if you read fantasy you would have lots of choices for a book with a map inside. Does a three-in-one series count for your 450 pages or does it have to be a single book?

Oh my, I saw that the sequel to a book I really liked is out, but so far, only in paperback. I guess I will have to keep on waiting.

Another sequel I wanted is out in e-book, but it's $7.99. Hoopla has the audio, but I tried to listen to it and didn't like the reader, so I had some credit from Amazon for the points I get using my credit card and used that to get the book - woohoo! I'm now 12 points away from getting a $3.00 credit for buying books. Somehow that just doesn't seem like a great deal, but I guess if you buy books anyway... It's taken me a long time to work my way up to getting that discount! LOL!

I am working on a couple of books, a re-read of SELKIE'S SONG by Kimberley Rogers. I really liked this series, so am going to try and go through it again.
    I am also still working on the Halle Bridgeman, book 3 in that series - not into this one like I was the first two.
  • connierandel
    Options
    I finished THE SISTERS OF SEA VIEW by Julie Klassen and it was very good. I am still working on ALL THE LOST PLACES by Amanda D.ykes and it is a bit different. I am not extremely excited about it, definitely not the 5* that I have given her other books. I think it is more due to the language (not bad language) in the older part of the book. Most of the book takes place in Italy and seems hard to follow for me. I'm close to 80% though it, so I will barrel on through.

I am listening to CRITICAL THREAT by Lynette Eason (her newest). This will tick off Virginia on my states and 2023 release on the big challenge.

I was reading through a post on facebook from someone wanting an idea for a book set in Central or South America and came across a book recommendation for Two Weeks in Guyana by Laura Ware. When I was a teenager, I spent 5 weeks there. It was a real learning experience. I looked up the book and it was $8.49, but I had $8.00 in credit from having orders shipped later. I thought about it for a couple of days and went back to purchase it...I just hated the .49 going against my gift card balance (I know, silly right?). I went in to go ahead and purchase and it had gone down to 7.99! WooHoo! That credit paid for the book. It will probably be my next read.

• connierandel
    Options
    I started listening to A CUP OF DUST by Susie Finkbeiner (historical) Depression era / Oklahoma. Whew, this is another hard one. Ir is rather sad and when I looked at the books I had read by her, one of the others I had noted that it is sad.

I really needed something light to go along with it. I am reading some of Valerie Comer Urban Farm Fresh series. Several of them fit into areas of the big challenge i am working on, and they are always lighter. It seems like I forget about her books until challenges come along and something always fits into it....then I get started on the series.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    I finished the newest book by Melanie Cellier in her princess fairy tale re-tells - it was very good.

I'm reading ABERRATION (the one I tried to listen to) and am enjoying reading it far more than the audio version. I am trying to read some Bible or missionary stories before I read my fiction.
  • connierandel
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Kim- I know your have read some "classics" and I have to read one for a challenge. What is fairly short and would be considered a classic. I don't think I have ever read anything that would fit, so I am open.

Oh, I just read that LM Montgomery books are now considered classics. I loved her books and it has been many years since I have read one. If all else fails... I guess CS Lewis books would work. I listened to one a long time ago, and read some of his non-fiction.
  • connierandel
    Options
    I just re-read the challenge and LM Montgomery may not work, since it says, "for the first time". I need ideas, preferably on the shorter side.

I am currently reading THIEF OF GLORY by Sigmund Brower. I had stayed away from his books, but this is a very good WW2 book taking place in the Dutch East Indies internment camp. I need a Christy Award Winner and went all the way back to 2015 before I found one that interested me and I hadn't already read.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    Connie, have you read all of the Narnia books. They are probably of mid-length. All of the Jane Austin ones are fairly long....... Have you read Christiana's story, the sequel to Pilgrim's Progress? That's a pretty quick read. How about Nancy Drew or The Hardy Boys? They should be easy reads. John Steinbeck might have some shorter stories, or perhaps Edgar Allen Poe? I haven't really ready anything by Poe, so I'm not sure about that. Robinson Crusoe? I looked under classics at my library site and there are quite a few pages. Most of them aren't short though... Hope something helps there.

I am reading two books right now, a fantasy re-read and a sci-fi, ABERRATION, the sequel to RECORDER. It's futuristic.

• connierandel
    Options
    Right now I am going back and forth on A Christmas Carol, an LM Montgomery book from a series I haven't read (but it is 15 hours long on audio), and looking at Mark Twain books to see if there is something I haven't read. I kind of forgot about Twain. I also might do a Narnia book. I have a while before that one comes up, although I could do it early.

I finished a couple of good books. Carol Dyer that used to be on Sparkpeople recommended them on facebook.
    THAT END OF LILAC LANE by Sharon Schuller Kiser (historical) KU - this was about an orphanage in Illinois in the early 1800s. I think it is the first of a series and I want to find more.
    A HEART TO CHERISH by Judith McNees. I think this was her debut novel. It was about a girl that was homeless and started living with a guy to get out of a shelter. She wound up pregnant and back in a homeless shelter because she wouldn't abort the baby. This is also the first of a series. I will go back and pick up others from both authors after I finish these reading challenges.

Right now I am listening to THE MOBSTER'S DAUGHTER by Rachel Scott McDaniel (historical) this is
    1920s Pennsylvania. It is really good. I almost just kept listening this morning, but I have a lot more kindle books checked out and in my reading plan than audiobooks.

I am reading THE AMISH CLOCK MAKER by Susan Meissner and Mindy Starns Clark - I needed a 1st person POV and I usually got to Susan Meissner for these, but this is the last that I haven't read. I am going to have to do some research for next time. Some of Chautona Havig's older books are 1st person, but I have read them. I went through some of her more recent books that I haven't read and none fit.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    I am re-reading a fantasy series that I quite enjoyed the first time. This one is called MASQUERADE.
  • connierandel
    Options
    It's kind of funny, but after I typed about 1st person POV, I realized that THE MOBSTER'S DAUGHTER was also 1st person. I counted it there and counted the Amish book as written by more than one author.

Current:
    MERIAM'S SONG by Jill Eileen Smith. This is 100% due to the challenge because I usually don't read Biblical fiction, but this is a really good book. I am just looking at it as fiction.

A MARK OF GRACE by Kimberley Woodhouse (historical) - this one was 100% because I wanted to read it...but it does fit into "sunset on cover" slot in challenge. I didn’t think it would fit anything, but realized that it would.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    I just saw Miriam's Song on my Christian Book Finds e-mail on sale.

Did you like the Kimberley Woodhouse series, Connie? Hoopla has them if they are good.

I started a sci-fi last night, LOST BITS. It's interesting. The story is taking place in a junk yard and a robot comes back to life when the sun reaches him and he is trying to get out of there so he can find his family - but it looks like the world has been trashed! He meets other bots along the way, some trying to help him others trying to hurt. I'm probably the only one who would like it, but it's interesting - no human so far.

I'm still working on MASQUERADE as well.