What are you reading

Options

Replies

• connierandel
    connierandel Posts: 1,708 Member
    Options
    HE MAID OF BALLYMACCOOL by Jennifer Deibel (historical) - was very good.

I figured out what happened on the Morris Fenris book - It actually had the wrong book inside. I should go to my amazon account and see if there was an update on the book, so I could get the right one. I may do it, but I won't go ahead and read it. There was a smattering of slang or light curse words in all of them and I just don't need it. There was just maybe 2 words per book, but that is too many.

I am not quite sure where I will go on ebooks from here. I guess I need to decide if I want a library ebook (one checked out) or a KU book (20 checked out).

Getting ready to start audio of ALASKAN AVALANCHE ESCAPE by Darlene L Turner (LIS).
  • cmsienk
    cmsienk Posts: 18,382 Member
    Options
    I finally started Just A Cowboy's Convenient Marriage by Jessie Gussman.
  • Restfinder
    Restfinder Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    It's amazing how many books out there have the same title. I always have to put the authors name in there or I will find myself looking through a bunch of junk before I get to the one I want!

Still working on the same stuff.
  • cmsienk
    Options
    I finished the first Jessie Gussman book in that series (Flyboys of Sweet Briar Ranch) Just A Cowboy's Convenient Marriage. Started book 2 - Just A Cowboy's Best Friend - and will probably finish on the plane ride home.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    Safe travels, Cindy!

I've started and finished a couple of fantasies that I didn't like where they were heading so I deleted them.

If you have any suggestions for good missionary biographies or autobiographies I would love to hear them. I did read the autobiography of Hudson Taylor. I like the stories from the late 1800s to the 1940s or so. You don't get into the divergent "Christian" groups so much during that time period. My library has Through Gates of Splendor so I've put that one on hold. We may have the paper book, but I still prefer e-books if I can find them.

I'm reading ESTHER'S CHERISHED DESTINY by Daleena Taylor. This is what it sounds like, a fictional account of the Esther story. In this one it's her family that is hated, not necessarily a race of people.

STEALTH GENESIS by Vikki Kestell, a prequel novella from her Stealth series. So far it is very good, makes me want to re-read that series. I didn't get into the fourth and fifth books in the series, lots of preaching (charismatic theology), but I did appreciate the Christian message throughout the beginning of the story.

I started a very strange fantasy, GUARDIANS OF TALONS AND SNARES, it has an Asian feel to it. It's alright so far.

I'm still working on DREAM OF KINGS by Sharon Hinck. It's a pretty good re-tell of the Joseph story, although one of the supporting characters is more like Joseph than the female portraying him - her faith is very weak and she doesn't have a good attitude towards God even though she does what He sets before her. Several of the other characters have or had greater faith that she has, but she is finally catching on and living more surrendered.

• connierandel
    Options
    Currently I am reading DEAR HENRY, LOVE EDITH by Becca Kinzer (rom com). It is funny, and totally unlikely that 3/4 of the book would ever happen, but I am loving it. I needed some comic relief. There has been a lot of talk about the book on-line, and I can see why.

Finished:
    SHADOWS IN THE MIND'S EYE by Janyre Tromp (Post WW2) - I had tried to read this one other time, and it was a bit too intense for then. I enjoyed it, but was ready for comic relief afterwards! When I put it in my DNF, I noted that it was just the wrong time for me to read it.
    ALASKAN AVALANCHE ESCAPE by Darlene L Turner (LIS)
    THE BLUEBIRD BAKERY by Lee Tobin McClain (romance) - not shown as Christian fiction like most of her books, but it was clean.
    THE KEY TO LOVE by Betsy St. Amant (romance) pretty good
    ELIJAH by Bree Livingston (rom susp) - part of her Clean Army Rangers series. Not Christian, but clean.
    MASON by Bree Livingston (rom susp)

• connierandel
    Options
    Currently I am working through the Worst Detective Ever series by Christy Barritt. I am on the 10th book, THE GLITCH AND FAMOUS. There is one more that just recently came out. These are more cozy mystery, but pretty good (and a bit corny).

I am listening to DARK FALL by Andrews & Wilson (speculative susp). These books have been intense and I have noted on the first one that it contained some language. They are very different, good vs evil. Has anyone noticed that it seems if there is inappropriate language in overtly Christian Fiction that it is usually written by a man? I haven't noticed language in this one,.but sometimes I don't notice as much in audio.

• cmsienk
    Options
    I have finished books 3 and 4 in the Jessie Gussman series - Just A Cowboy's Enemy and Just A Cowboy's Midnight Bride. Just discovered that book 5 doesn't come out until March 17th
  • Restfinder
    Options
    I've noticed that too, about the male writers adding more language than the females do.

I'm starting a very old book called THE MARTYR OF THE CATACOMBS. It's a book Wade's had since he was a young boy. I wanted to find some "missionary" stories and we found FROM JERUSALEM TO IRANJAYA (sp?) as well as another one on Tibet. I'll read those while sitting out on my porch. I like to listen to Scripture before I go to my fiction when I go to bed.

I'm doing two re-reads since nothing new is keeping my attention. I did finish the one by Sharon Hinck and really liked it. She makes a comment at the end of the book that she did base her story on the story of Joseph, but she had a very good Christian message there and that helped to understand the direction she went in.
  • cmsienk
    edited March 2023
    Options
    I started the Jenna's Creek series by Teresa Slack the other day. I've finished Streams of Mercy and just started on Redemption's Song

ETA - Just finished book 2 and am starting book 3 - Evidence of Grace
  • cmsienk
    Options
    Just finished book 2. On to the next one - Evidence of Grace
  • Restfinder
    Options
    Are you liking them, Cindy?

I am working on one that I'm not sure I'll finish, a fantasy called FORGERY OF ROSES. God is called The Painter in this story and there are a group of people who want to wipe out all painters believing they are trying to take the place of the Ultimate Painter. I'm trying to figure out what the author is trying to say, but I'm not impressed so far.

DREAMS OF THE HEART by Penny Zeller, a typical western type story. She is being abused by her father and the deputy steps in when the father is going to use her in a poker bet, so now he will play for her and if he wins he will give her an option, marry me or I will see you to some place safe where you can live happily ever after!

I'm continuing my re-reads in the Nano-Stealth series as well as in the fantasy series by Brittany Fichter (I think that's the author).
  • cmsienk
    Options
    Yes, Kim, I'm enjoying this series. I liked the Jessue Gussman one too and only moved on from that when I realized the next book isn't out yet
  • connierandel
    Options
    I realized that I hadn't read the last book in the Teresa Slack boxed set and went in and read it the other day.

Currently I am listening to SIX MONTHS IN MONTANA by Pamela Kelley. This is a clean read that I found in Hoopla a few months ago and put in my TBR list. So far, it is good. I have been getting to the point that there aren't a ton of Christian Fiction books that I really want to listen to left on hoopla. They don't add new books too often, and when they do, I usually already have them on libby, or they are Amish. I could read Amish books for years between the library applications, but so many of them just seem the same.

I finished:
    OPERATION: RESTORATION by Kari Trumbo (rom susp) KU. This was different from her normal historical fiction. This is contemporary with light suspense. I really enjoyed it. The next in the series isn't out yet.
    DARE TO LOVE MY GRUMPY BOSS by Ellie Hall (rom com)
    THE PERFECT CATCH by Cassidy Carter (Hallmark)
  • cmsienk
    edited March 2023
    Options
    I finished book 3 in the Teresa Slack series - Evidence of Grace, then started the Christmas novella that's part of the series, book 3.5. Can't remember the title. I'll post it here later
  • Restfinder
    Options
    I posted a Billionaire freebie for today. I've read some of that type of book and enjoyed most of them, but they started sounding similar to others I've read. I did pick up this one and when I want something light, I'll pick it up.

I'm still working on the ones I mentioned in my last post.

I haven't listened to more in Through Gates of Splendor, but will get back to that tonight.
  • cmsienk
    Options
    The Christmas novella is called A Jenna's Creek Wedding (Teresa Slack). I finished it last night. Will probably start the last of the series later today
  • connierandel
    Options
    I checked out Wanda Brunstetter's newest Amish novel. I am trying to get through it, but it just seems stilted and boring.

I am reading FORGED by Sara Davison. This is book 4 in her Night Guardian Series. These are really good and fairly intense suspense novels.
  • cmsienk
    edited March 2023
    Options
    I'm ready for a suspense novel - maybe I'll check out the Sara Davison series. I've enjoyed theTeresa Slack series I'm reading, except I was exasperated with the female protagonist in Book 3.5 (the wedding novella). She was so whiny and immature. Of course it all worked out in the end, but it really felt unrealistic. I'm ready to move on to something with a little more depth to it.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    KU has that series. I downloaded the first one.

I am on book three of the NanoStealth series and enjoying it as much as the first time. I think it's book four or five that I came to a grinding halt on - it had a lot of sermonizing in it and it was of a Calvinistic/Charismatic bent (which I am not), I never finished that one. It also leads to the last days, but I didn't get into it far enough to see if it remained biblical in it's view.

Still reading the Western one where a deputy marries the daughter of a very mean drunkard father. So far it's quite good.

Still listening to THROUGH GATES OF SPLENDOR too.