What Have You Done Today That Is Healthy

Options

Replies

• Restfinder
    Restfinder Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I started doing my walking yesterday. I just did it twice - I just forgot! But I did have over 2300 steps despite that. I ate my yellow kiwi for an afternoon snack - so good! I don't like the green ones, too sour for me, but these are sweet! I also added blueberries to my smoothie for lunch which already has cranberry juice in it. I was slack on adding veggies though! I just did peanut butter and jelly for dinner - too hot to cook! I am going to try and make myself some cannelloni bean hummus (since I can't eat chick peas) so I will be tempted to eat more veggies, like carrot and celery sticks!
  • connierandel
    connierandel Posts: 1,708 Member
    Options
    Cream of ______ soup.
    If I am cooking meat, I use the juices as part of the broth. You can use any type you want. If you want mushrooms, celery, etc, cook well first.

2 TBS unsalted butter
    1/2 cup broth
    1/2 cup milk or cream
    3 TBS flour (I have used corn starch, it isn't quite as good but works)
    1/2 tsp salt or MSG

Cook until thick. Equals one can cream of soup undiluted.
  • cmsienk
    cmsienk Posts: 18,370 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Yesterday Dave and I went on a 4 mile hike with my friend Beth and her husband, Mark. We discovered some late ripening blackberries along the path. Mark and I were so excited - while our spouses waited (mostly patiently) for us to pick some. He was eating them. I was saving them to bring home for my dad who LOVES all things berry. We invited him for dinner to celebrate his 84th birthday (it was on Monday, but I was out of town). I surprised him with a nice sized dessert bowl of blackberries - which he polished off before we had dinner. (Ribeye steak and broccoli on the griddle and oven roasted potatoes with rosemary.)
  • Restfinder
    Options
    MMM, sounds yummy, Cindy! We have been enjoying Turkey casserole. I can't wait to try it with your recipe, Connie. We are using the canned soup right now, but want to get away from the processed additives. Super easy too, turkey, 1 can cream of chicken soup, 1 bag of cornbread stuffing mixed with 1 - 1.5 C broth, and 3/4 stick melted butter, and a sm bag of mixed veggies (or your favorite veggies). Put the turkey in the 8 X 8 baking dish and mix it together with the soup and veggies, then put the stuffing mix on top and back at 350 for about 20 minutes or until the stuffing is golden brown. It's like having a turkey dinner in one pan! Oooo, I just thought about this, you could do a turkey gravy (thickened a bit) rather than the creamed soup!

Super tired today. I had a headache all night last night and was up at least four times to use the bathroom! Ugh! I have no idea what brought that on unless it was the 200mg of caffeine I took to try and knock out the headache! I've done that before but don't remember it causing that side effect! Still a bit headachy and woozy from the headache and the meds! Just taking it easy.

Oh, the cabinet doors and drawers and done and on - sooo pretty! Have to get the kitchen cleaned up a bit before I take pictures.

• cmsienk
    Options
    6,400 steps today. Green grapes and cheese and a package of almonds for my snack on the plane. Turkey, cheese and avocado sandwich in my room for dinner.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    Wow! Great job, Cindy. Can't say the avocado whets my whistle, but the cheese - oh my, I love me some cheese! LOL!

I looked up what I should do to help with gastritis pain and they suggested peppermint green tea with honey. I actually had a box of Candy Cane Lane and it is really good! I've been drinking that instead of coffee. Oh, I love my pumpkin coffee so I will probably do that a couple times a week after my tummy quiets down. I'll be eating light as well! I have some yogurt and veggie chips for lunch, and then some turkey casserole for dinner.

I need to get back into my walking, but it won't begin today. I woke with a bad headache and am, again, feeling punky. If I feel better this afternoon I will try and get in some extra steps!
  • connierandel
    Options
    I have been doing better at staying away from sugar, again. Aarg. I really need to start exercising, but it just isn't happening, and I am eating leftovers for lunch instead of watching what I eat. At least eating the dinner left-overs saves some money.
  • cmsienk
    Options
    I brought my mat with me and did some stretching in my room - but only one of the three nights I was there. (It's a start.) I did get 6,400 steps on the 11th and 7,400 yesterday. Today I'm currently at 3,100 and will get a few more when I land at my home airport.

I'm doing okay with staying away from sugar as well. I had a yogurt with berries for dessert the other day and one bite of chocolate mousse after lunch (I forgot and took one). The good news is it wasn't very good at all and I decided it wasn't worth the calories.

I probably didn't lose any weight on this trip, but I don't think I gained any either.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    I'll get a bunch of steps (for me) today. We are going out for our anniversary, 39 years, and eating out with friends. I hope I have room for dessert! LOL! I don't usually, well, I usually don't have room to finish my meal let alone add dessert - but on special occasions... Kind of undoes the extra steps - sigh! I'm not going to worry about it next week either when we are on vacation but will hit it hard when we get home!
  • connierandel
    Options
    I have been doing better. I have cut out sweets for several days, and have been better at staying away from my last snack. I have had a small snack mid-afternoon most days, but am keeping it to either a few Ritz or a string cheese.
  • cmsienk
    Options
    I've had a large salad for dinner the last two nights. I modified the Panera Fuli apple salad with chicken recipe: green leaf and romaine lettuce, chicken, cucumbers, feta, honey glazed pecans, dried apples and 2 T white sweet balsamic vinaigrette.

Walking with Beth tomorrow
  • connierandel
    Options
    Leave out the cukes and that recipe sounds wonderful.

It has been hard but I am still pretty much abstaining from my after dinner snack (one night I had 3 Ritz crackers at 6:45) and haven't had a sugary treat for close to two weeks...except a small taste of cool whip today to see if it was still good (mmm it was!). That was less than one gram of sugar, so I don't think it hurt too much. It's for Strawberry shortcake for the guys tonight.
  • cmsienk
    Options
    Well... the night before I had the same salad with baby peas and Queso Fresco instead of cucumbers and feta. The feta is definitely better than the Queso Fresco - more contrasting flavor with the sweetness of the dressing, but I could go either way on the green vegetable.

My body clock is all messed up. The past two days I've been getting up early, taking an afternoon nap and then staying up until almost midnight. Mid-morning today I hiked 3 1/2 miles with Beth. I came home with plans to do a little cleaning and organizing, but instead I decided to read a little... I fell asleep doing that and ended up taking a 2 hour nap. I've been up since about 4 and just made myself a cup of Dunkin Donuts French vanilla flavored coffee because I feel so groggy.
  • connierandel
    Options
    I have been good at staying in my 16/8 except today, I had to eat a string cheese stick before I went to church. I was getting hungry and was afraid I would get weak if I waited till church was over and I got home.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    I got between 3,000 and 4,000 steps a day on our trip, and my back did pretty well. I think that the hard mattress helped! We left at 6:30 on Friday and got home before the brunt of the tropical storm hit. As we sat staring out at the ocean I kept thinking that we have this very thing just half an hour from our house, but we haven't even gone to the ocean here in the nearly three years we've lived here - life just keeps getting in the way! The neighbor across the street lives, basically, on the Sound - he just has to cut down some trees for us to see it. The trouble, he says, is that he will be taxed for waterfront property if he does that! They get you coming and going! So, we are pretty close to water, we just can't easily get to it - well, other than the rivers which we have a plethora of!

I am planning on more salads and cutting back on sugar. Wade and I want to get into more of a natural diet rather than processed foods, although we won't be able to completely cut them all out, we want to eat less of them. He asked me about a protein bar he was thinking of getting. I told him to read the ingredients and he started laughing - nope, not as healthy as they try to make them sound. I will try to get back into doing my walking every 1.5 hours and try to work up to 3,000 steps for the day. Hopefully I can find the energy for that.
  • connierandel
    edited September 2023
    Options
    We still use quite a few canned goods (but carefully watch ingredients) and a lot of frozen foods (again watching carefully for ingredients- especially in chicken and turkey. I think they must inject salt water in the poultry before freezing. It isn't hard to find fresh chicken or ground turkey, but whole turkey or turkey breasts are hard to find. And I hate to give up snack cakes and cookies for Bill...and if I bake them, I will eat them. All of that being said, we eat a lot less than we ever have before. I sure miss throwing a store bought frozen lasagna, or chicken strips with tater tots in the oven and calling it a meal.
  • cmsienk
    Options
    2,300 steps today. Salad and chicken for lunch; apple, pecan chicken salad for dinner
  • Restfinder
    Options
    I saw a YouTube video on how to make potatoes less detrimental to blood sugar. Neither Wade nor I are diabetic, but it would be a good thing to practice anyway. Basically, freeze your potatoes before you use them, and then microwave them. That saves the resistant sugar (or starch) in them, which helps to lower blood sugar rather than raise it. We microwave our potatoes to "bake" them - takes four minutes as opposed to 45-60 minutes and doesn't heat up the house!

I did get around 2500 steps yesterday, walking twice. I'm wiped out today after taking meds for a headache. I found out that my meds are now over $100 for my migraine pills. I had quite a few extra boxes of them when my headaches backed off but I was still getting them automatically sent to me, so it's been about five months since I've had to order more - phew!

• cmsienk
    Options
    Antipasto salad for lunch... BUT I ate two small boxes of Milk Duds and 1 Starburst because this client has bowls of candy EVERYWHERE. Ugh - no willpower
  • connierandel
    Options
    Still staying away from sugar and within my fasting hours. I had a small snack cake last Friday, but that's the only in over two weeks.