WaistAways - Team Chat SEPTEMBER 2021

Options

Replies

• DD265
    DD265 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Hey all, it's turned into a busy week here.

I had two perfect days, then yesterday I was good during the day but we had a work team night out - it was the first time I'd seen most of my colleagues in person in over 18 months. We went to an Indian so unsurprisingly I had a gain on the scales this morning. I really enjoyed the night out though.

Today we had a team meeting and there were chocolates and cakes. I did take my own lunch so I ate that, but I also snacked. I hadn't really thought about the potential for snacks in advance so I didn't have a proper plan of attack. Something to think about for future office visits. The meeting was really good though, and I won an award for being a 'change ambassador' - I was nominated for questioning everything :D - though I do this as a means of looking for improvements so it is a good thing, honest!

I'm hoping to get a run in tomorrow afternoon, but Kirk has a veterinary appointment in the morning and it'll probably be me who takes him, so I'll likely need to work some/most of the afternoon. I may go in the evening, and leave the supermarket shop until Saturday, but we have a quiz night tomorrow so I don't think I'll fit everything in if I work a full afternoon. We're out on Sunday (for lunch and tea is an all you can eat Brazilian steakhouse) so I'm reluctant to have another 'bad' meal between now and then. I will see what I can rustle up from what we have in.

My no-late-night-snacking challenge is still going well - I've nailed it every day since starting, so I'm feeling a bit more positive about the journey again.
  • eggfreak
    eggfreak Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    @jugar CW 154.5
  • TessieMac833
    TessieMac833 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    @jugar
    Really appreciate your take and positive spin on plateaus. I can acknowledge the wisdom...but I don't have to like it!! Haha. I will say that while it is aggravating to shoot up back towards 170 as part of this plateau, it's way less of a fight to get it back down to its current 'stable' weight, which is ~163ish right now, than it was when I was getting down there for the first time. So that is progress, even if it's not the breakthrough that I would rather see (:

@bowens1973 That ride is amazing! I can't imagine being on a bike that long. You've definitely earned those padded shorts!
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,043 Member
    Options
    @DD265
    It sounds like your enjoyable meal out and other goodies were well worth splurging on - even if it means some strict days to come. Getting back together with people after all this time is quite the excitement, and is certainly one of those things that comes with food. If you come up with good ideas for snack planning, share away! I'm sure they'll be useful.

Padded bike shorts sound great, @bowens1973 - I always wish for something similar when I'm on long horseback rides. There are gorgeous sheepskin pads for the human side of the saddle, but I have never gotten one, for some reason. I just read a sweet article about an 80 year old woman who rides from Northumberland all the way up to Inverness every year (since 1972!) on her pony - about 1,000 km. She only does 25-30 km per day, but that sounds like so much fun. Her saddle/pad/pack complete with a compartment for her little terrier is seriously impressive. Luckily, she is a tiny lady. Check it out https://explorersweb.com/2021/09/08/80-year-old-1000-km-on-horseback/ She's my new role model :smiley:

All right, folks. Friday is arriving! Let's get this week up to date on all the weigh-ins, or let me know if you need the week off. Here's what's up:

Due already:
    @nat_meister
    @KellyBgetsFit
    @MoStacy
    @coramae7417

Due Friday:
    @Pearl4686
    @conleywoods
    @gak71
    @Steph1498
    @JohnPetelle
    @kellie_erin
    @ellz_runs
    @Micki48

🔜
  • MoStacy
    MoStacy Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    PW 204 lb
    CW 204.5 lb

Sorry! Buried at work… will do better next week.😳
  • ashleycarole86
    ashleycarole86 Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    Sept 9 exercise - 5762 steps

Well my sewing project is done.. that was two full days of work followed by sewing all night.. I did the best I could but both sleep and exercise were sacrificed. Back to my normal routine tomorrow:)
  • KellyBgetsfit
    KellyBgetsfit Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    CW 148.2

This week has been a struggle. I am so sick, but Mikey is quarentined (feeling fine). My teenager got a stomach bug so she hasn't been able to help. I am not sleeping. I think that is a combo of stress, lack of movement, and not being able to breath. I have been doing daily meditations to try to destress. At 1am, I steamed up the shower and listened to a meditation.

I hope you all are having a better week then me.
  • micki48
    micki48 Posts: 2,253 Member
    Options
    Friday weigh in

CW 202.5
    PW 202.5

At least it’s not a gain. Frustrating

@KellyBgetsfit So sorry you are having such a tough week. Not sure if I missed a post. Were you positive for COVID? Sending hugs and prayers. Hope you soon feel better. 💕
  • JohnPetelle
    JohnPetelle Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    (Hopefully right place!)
    Current weight: 290
    PW: (sept 1) 292

Started this journey at Christmas 2020, at 330. Depression, meal skipping, drastic carb and meat reduction through mid March, and hit a low weight of 278. Rebounded up to 315 by late July.

Sat down with a VA nutritionist (found the MFP app) and have been making progress since. Better nutrition, balanced walk and swim exercise.

Trying the challenge for additional accountability and incentive. :) glad to be on the team!

John
  • conleywoods
    conleywoods Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    PW 226.4
    CW 226.4

Not sure how I managed to maintain but I will take it. The little guy has been super sick all week. The pediatrician had us do a more accurate covid test and it was negative too. Thank goodness. Spent a lot of time up at night and sleeping on the couch with him. He is improving just slowly. Work has been a hot mess. I only went 2 days this week but whoa! We are making major changes to our programs for special ed and its got some problems. Our students start Monday so it will be nice to get in some classrooms instead of in long meetings with about 100 ticked off teachers. My husband decided to keep working this year and we will pull the youngest out of school to homeschool with grandma (retired teacher) until kid vaccines come out.

I haven't logged, I've skipped meals, eaten take out and unless you count freaking out, no exercise 🙃 My heart rate has been up, but not for the right reasons. Ha! Hopefully things will calm down soon and I can get going again. My goal is to meal prep this week.

@jugar Looking forward to reading that article. I have some little sheepskin covers for my pilates reformer handles and they are so nice!

@bowens1973 Great job biking and love the bike! My mountain bike is the exact same color and I bet it makes a beautiful blur as you speed by.

@ashleycarole86 Can't wait to see the sewing project reveal!

@micki48 Have fun doing preschool at home! So fun.
  • kellie_erin
    kellie_erin Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    CW: 182
    PW: 184.6

Yay! The scale moved down. It's been a stressful week and I'm still trying to figure out how the fall is going to work for me. All of you are super inspiring!
  • conleywoods
    conleywoods Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    @KellyBgetsfit I'm so sorry you are sick too. It's never good when you have sick kids and then mom goes down to. If you have to be up for middle of the night for baths/showers, meditation sounds so much nicer than the stacks of dinosaur books I've been reading my little. Sending hugs and feel better soon 💕
  • jugar
    Options
    (Hopefully right place!)
    Current weight: 290
    PW: (sept 1) 292

Started this journey at Christmas 2020, at 330. Depression, meal skipping, drastic carb and meat reduction through mid March, and hit a low weight of 278. Rebounded up to 315 by late July.

Sat down with a VA nutritionist (found the MFP app) and have been making progress since. Better nutrition, balanced walk and swim exercise.

Trying the challenge for additional accountability and incentive. :) glad to be on the team!

John

Yay! You found us :smiley: It is great that you found help through the VA - there are resources out there, and getting help to find a sustainable way to lose weight and stay healthy is the way to go. I take it you're a veteran? My daughter is in the Army (Canadian) and my dad and aunt were in the Navy (American) and I am always happy to hear when there are organisations to stand by members and former members.

We are pretty simple as a team - we help each other through the rough bits so that you don't give up, we join in all kinds of happy dances when things go well, we explore questions of nutrition, fitness, emotional roller coasters, and all kinds of things together. Feel free to go back to the first pages of the September thread here and read the introductions and all - but over time, you'll get to know everyone. The best way to use the team is to get in here as often as you can, talk about your day, read the posts, ask and answer questions. Pretty soon our nagging voices will be in your head keeping you away from the evil snacks of doom :wink: In any case, welcome!
  • kellie_erin
    Options
    I also took my measurements this morning because it's been months but I don't have the most recent ones (or really any of them). So now I have a starting point. But it seems impossible that they'll ever get to where I want them. So even though things are going well, I'm actually pretty dejected right now. And my brain is turning to self sabotage. Stupid brain 😖
  • jugar
    Options
    I also took my measurements this morning because it's been months but I don't have the most recent ones (or really any of them). So now I have a starting point. But it seems impossible that they'll ever get to where I want them. So even though things are going well, I'm actually pretty dejected right now. And my brain is turning to self sabotage. Stupid brain 😖

Have a stern talk with that brain of yours! Send it on a time OUT. You just lost 2.6 pounds. 5.6 this month so far. 28.4 from your highest weight. You are amazing. Taking your measurements is a fantastic idea, and you will be SO impressed with yourself in a few months when you add up all the inches you have lost, even if you did not take them back at the beginning. Thinking about where you want those measurements to be some day is not helping right now, but measuring every couple of weeks for many months is. Sometimes we even lose on the measurements when putting on weight on the scale - a great sign that muscle is being built! So keep on recording the numbers.

I just read one of those statements that feels like a cliché, something a sports coach will shout out when things are getting bad, but it is true, and maybe a few people need to hear it right now. It was posted by @mari_moulin - the founder of this group, and one of the most inspiring people I have ever encountered. She lost more than half her bodyweight, has had some serious bounce-backs while going through stressful times, and is still there working at it, improving, keeping herself and others inspired. What did she post today?

You may have tried ALMOST everything and NOTHING has worked… 

You can be frustrated… but you can NOT QUIT… Because quitting is the ONLY WAY TO GUARANTEE FAILURE. QUITTING IS THE ONLY WAY TO GUARANTEE THE SUFFERING STAYS. No matter how you feel… KEEP GOING.

She's got that right.
  • kellie_erin
    Options
    @jugar thank you so much. I REALLY needed to hear that. I'm not quitting because this time I'm actually going to reach my goal (I've already lost and gained this weight once). I've got a good support system and I've found food that's mostly working for me and a gym I love, so I'm going to try to get back into that positive mindset
This discussion has been closed.