Seriously September!

Options
magic71755
magic71755 Posts: 3,788 Member
septboard.gifseptboard.gifseptboard.gif

What a perfect time to get serious, eh? The last 1/3 of the year...the approaching seasonfallsmiley6b.gifis a favorite of so many...fallsmiley4.gif!

Let's jump into this new month with determination...and a PLAN! Set up a working plan and execute it...be ready for when the motivation fails (and it will...it is so dang fickle)...be your own best advocate! goldstar.gifgoldstar.gifgoldstar.gif

Progress, not perfection! Wherever you are at this moment, make your tomorrow better! onesmiley1.gif

Replies

• magic71755
    Options
    Today's Menu: (Revised)

coffee
    watermelon
    Snapple, Peach Tea
    three tostadas (ezekiel corn tortillas)...Amy's refried vegetarian beans, LTO, cilantro, 505 green chile
    broc and rice

applesauce & watermelon

Had cleaning gal today...such a wonderful gift I give myself...I just can't do it anymore. And now, I upped it to every two weeks, so I stay on top of everything, no not get lazy and then have to rush to declutter before she comes. The extra money is well spent IMHO.

Have a great day, everyone!

• Mihani
    Mihani Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I definitely love autumn, Magic. Breezes and crisp air make me feel most alive this time of year. Thanks for starting off the September thread. Your menu today sounds great.

Quick check-in today.

B - thawed some frozen berries and topped with chia/flax and cinnamon
    S - half a baked potato
    L - big ol' salad, grapes
    D - leftover cooked greens with another half a baked potato and cheezy chickpeas

I forgot I scheduled Friday off so I have a 4 day weekend coming! I will work a couple days of it here at home, but going to try to take 2 full days (Friday and Saturday) all for me and not think about work at all. Getting my hair cut and doing some shopping on Friday, going out with friends Friday night. Saturday will be cooking and chilling with a good book or maybe binge watch some shows. I never really watch TV it is just background noise. Anyway, two full days not thinking about work will be like a week's vacation for me! LOL

• magic71755
    Options
    Love that you are taking two days off for YOU, MIHANI. After all, it’s Labor Day !
  • magic71755
    edited September 2021
    Options
    I am officially sick of rice and broccoli...at least for now. I prepped a bunch of rice for after surgery meals, using my freezing hack. And I also prepped several heads of broc day before surgery, so it would be easy to microwave both...it was and now the broc is gone and I'm done. LOL

Today

coffee
    watermelon
    just egg, chao mexican shreds, loads of spinach and 505 hatch
    tostadas
    and now, dinner? back to salad but with homemade ezekiel garlic croutons. That might work!
    applesauce

HAGDE!
  • Carla_wfpb
    Carla_wfpb Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    Yay to your 4-day weekend, Mihani!!!

*wave* @ Austin...nice to see you!

How's your recovery, Nance? Are you headed back to work tomorrow?

I've been on the lookout for a floor loom for several years now and finally found a suitable used one for sale locally. Joe and I picked it up yesterday and I'm super excited to have it! Now to get my work out of the way so that I can begin my floor loom journey.

I'm going to jump back on the breakfast smoothie train and have at least one big salad a day this month. Those are two reasonable goals I can stick to and feel good about accomplishing. My walking has been a minimum of two 20 minute brisk walks per day and I will stick with that as a goal, while amping it up where and when I can.
  • Mihani
    Options
    Hi y'all! I am looking forward to tomorrow off! I'm going to order some things delivered tonight like dog food, TP and paper towels, etc. I'll go to Trader Joe's tomorrow to spend some gift cards, Home Depot for some things for the house. Trader Joe's has the best frozen stir-fry veggies so whenever I make it there I stock up on those. They actually come in handy for the 6 week plan since one bag is 16 oz so there's my pound of cooked veggies. Can't always eat them all in one meal though.

I just made a pot of bulgur... not sure I have ever made it before. I have eaten tabbouleh often but never made it myself.

B - the usual mixed berries thawed in the microwave and topped with chia/flax and cinnamon
    L - Dr. McDougall soup
    D - will pull some of the cauliflower lentil curry from the freezer and have that with some of the bulgur, probably an apple with a bit of PB

I did succumb to the call of the pretzels again today. Darn it!

Think I'll get stuff to make tabbouleh with the remaining bulgur when I'm at the store.

Nance, are you feeling good enough to go back to work? I have gone off the deep end with broccoli lately. I could honestly eat it every day.

Carla, 'grats on your new loom! Your goals this month sound great and very doable. Sometimes I make my goals too big and then I feel like a failure when it doesn't quite work out.

Austin, hope we'll see more of you this month. We've missed you.
  • magic71755
    edited September 2021
    Options
    morningteasmileyf.gif

So, Mihani, could you take a pic of the frozen veggies you get at trader joes or give me the exact name. Thanks! Enjoy your fun day off that should be all about YOU!

A floor loom...how fabulous...Carla, you sure are the crafty one, eh?! Love the excitement in your post!

Yes, ladies...back to work. Now, I sent an email this past Monday and what I would not be able to temporarily do*, that I normally do. So, it will be interesting to see how things go.

*because of physical limitations until I am fully healed.

I get two weeks paid vacay a year...taking my second one 9/17-9/20. That will be nice, since I will be so far along in my recovery...looking forward to morning walks with LULU...maybe the pool, if the doc says ok.

My food is all ready for work...here's the plan:

coffee
    homemade yogurt with muesli and jam
    Lavash PIZZA...made it last night...eating it cold for work.pizzasmiley.gif
    baked potato with homemade pico
    watermelon

My goal for September is about getting ready for total knee replacement next year...

*****STOP SPENDING SO NEEDLESSLY*****

NO renewing amazon ...it's great however, I buy what I dont really need

NO instacart this month...I have a year's subscription and used it this past week a lot... but now I can drive again...so there's savings right there My order this past Monday was so wonderful...my gal used Mr. Green Grocer (my suggestion) to help pick out a good watermelon...the best all season... win!watermelonsmileyf.gif

So, my goal is to really reduce spending...get myself in a good place, financially, for the New Year...I will be out about three months...and can use five days sick leave and 2 weeks vacay...that's it. The rest is on me.

I have been saving for new Living Room Furniture and painting...but will hold off til I am completely healed from TKR and back to work.

That's it. Up way too early. Oh, and I have not had any Alka Seltzer Cold Nighttime tablets since 8/22 (my last time taking two tablet in water)...two nights before surgery. I use them for sleep, actually.

NOW, just melatonin.

Ok, kiddos...that's it for now...have a lovely day! nicetalkin.gif

• magic71755
    Options
    Maybe on my next vacation week:

I just made a pot of bulgur... not sure I have ever made it before. I have eaten tabbouleh often but never made it myself.

How did it turn out, Mihani? I want to try!
  • Mihani
    Options
    Mornin' Nance! That's funny, I'm trying to rein in my budget as well. I was getting grocery delivery quite often during Covid, and mostly just going to the smaller stores for veggies and such, but with the fees and tip it's a lot of extra money in a year. So I'm going to the big grocery on the way to TJ's to get things like dog food, laundry detergent, etc.

I have so much running around to do today, but tomorrow will be a nice stay at home and relax day. Plus cooking.

I'll let you know about the veggies, Nance. Oh, and the bulgur was really good! Light and fluffy and cooks in 12 minutes. I like trying different grains instead of the same ol' brown rice or quinoa all the time.
  • Carla_wfpb
    edited September 2021
    Options
    My spending has been over the top lately as well...new clothing and boots (which fit and are awesome btw) and now a new loom. I am going to try to cut back on my Amazon purchases this month, that's what usually adds up the most.
    We've been ordering groceries online from Safeway and then picking up. They specify no tips allowed so we can continue to go that route...maybe from now on. Less impulse purchases that way, but also easier to forget things.
  • Mihani
    Options
    Whew, what a day! I got a late start out of here so I didn't go to the big grocery but made it to TJ's. Home and put stuff away then off to my hair appointment, stopped and picked up my salads then the small grocery for fresh fruits (including watermelon!) and veggies. The small grocery near me has the best and freshest produce so I almost always get veggies and fruit there. Also got two bags of frozen edamame which will be nice to add to the TJ's stir-fry.

Nance, they are Asian Stir-fry Veggies with Beijing Style Soy Sauce. The sauce is good and doesn't have oil, but it does have sugar so I don't use when I'm being strict, but I will likely add at least part of it when I make these. I got 6 bags! TJ's used to have another type of stir-fry veggies without sauce that I liked a lot, but they discontinued it years ago.

Carla, maybe we should have called this month's thread Save Money September! LOL

I have cut back considerably the past few months. Was spending a lot on household things after the remodel, including furniture, new blinds, new bath towels, etc.

This may be too ambitious but here's the plan for cooking tomorrow:

Roasted broccoli
    Sheet pan fajitas
    Big skillet of greens with leeks and carrots (have two bunches of kale, two of chard, plus beet greens)
    Cheezy chickpeas
    Baked tofu
    Baked Japanese sweet potatoes

My salads this week will be lettuce, tomato, beet, carrot, radish, zucchini, and I'm going to make unhoney mustard dressing. Will probably cook some black beans or pinto beans to add to the fajita bowls too.

• Carla_wfpb
    Options
    We'll be on-theme for the month as long as we take our spending habits seriously! lol!

Finished writing a user manual a day earlier than anticipated so now a loom-filled weekend is LOOMING! (i know, terrible haha)
  • Mihani
    Options
    Woohoo for looming, Carla, and yes that was terrible! LOL

I forgot to mention yay for the boots and clothes fitting. Always tough to know when ordering things online.

Had fun out with "my boys" ... no other gals showed up tonight. We're all getting older so we don't stay out late... hit the bar for happy hour at 4:30 and home by 6:30. I had one drink but didn't eat any of the appetizers because I was so hungry when I got home from all my running around and had a big bowl of the bulgur with lentil cauliflower curry at 3:00. Breakfast was ezekiel toast with a smidge of PB and a bowl of berries with cinnamon. May eat a small salad or just have some fruit now.

Looking forward to getting some cooking done tomorrow and taking it easy. I don't plan to leave the house tomorrow and probably won't even leave my recliner other than to cook and do laundry! I am going to look for a new book for my kindle... anyone have a recommendation? I like mysteries best, and detective stories, some scifi (if it has some humor and doesn't take itself too seriously). I hate anything paranormal or so gory/creepy that it keeps me up at night.
  • Mihani
    Options
    Oh, and Nance... did you go back to work today? Hope it wasn't too hard on you and you're feeling good.
  • magic71755
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Sweet peas, I will come back later and fill you in on more...but for now, back to work...was really tired, but that's cuz I got up at 2:30 and did not go back to sleep...today much better...slept 7 hours. Still no Alka Seltzer Plus Nighttime Cold tabs...last day to take: 8/22/21*. Using OLLY Extra Strength Melatonin gummies...get them at Target FYI.

today

coffee
    baked potato
    watermelon/pico salad
    Atorias Lavash homemade pizza (officially addicted now)
    more salad
    more potato if I need something

home with Lulu...will try to go to bed without eating after work. I still struggle there.

Love you guys!

*This is a huge victory for me...HUGE! (more on this subject later)
  • magic71755
    Options
    My last batch of vegan yogurt...not happy with...and I spent extra on the Eden soy milk, since it has more protein...was told I would get a thicker yield.

back to Westsoy and I bought a strainer that goes in the fridge and takes care of that problem...it was my last purchase on Amazon...just under the wire...8/31 LOL

more on this process but I have to say, the taste of Westsoy yogurt is far suprerior than the Eden soy end product. Taste Vs Thickness...taste wins every time.

LOVE YOU GUYS!
  • magic71755
    Options
    New go to breakfast for work...steam a bunch of spinach in the morning (sistema red square large steamer)...take potatoes to work...microwave potato for six minutes...chop up...add to cup along with the spinach...voila! B R E A K F A S T!
  • Mihani
    Options
    Hey Nance! Glad you made it through work and more glad you got better sleep last night. Hope today goes better and that your co-workers are being respectful of your limitations post-surgery.

OMG y'all, I am being SO lazy with my day off today. Haven't done any cooking or cleaning or laundry. I have puttered around rather unproductively, started reading a new book, napped, and watched some TV. I'm okay with it. I can cook tomorrow after I get done working. I do plan to put in a good 8 hours both tomorrow and Monday working from home and also going to run to the office for a few on Monday just to go through mail and my desk so I am not walking into piles of stuff on Tuesday morning. Also planning to visit a friend on Monday and hit the big grocery for the things I didn't get to yesterday.

It will be fine. I needed a lazy day! I've been working like a maniac for so long and am so worn out. The day off yesterday was so busy and I had fun shopping and going out with friends and like my new hairdo, but it was far from a relaxing day. I have been saying for years that "I'll relax and take some time for myself when I get caught up a little" but I never get caught up and seriously doubt I ever will.

B - ezekiel english muffin with avocado and sliced tomato
    L - pita pizza
    D - salad, fruit bowl of berries, watermelon, apple

• Carla_wfpb
    Options
    Mihani, I got back and forth with getting a Kindle Unlimited, as i think you do. if you have it now, you could check out the Emma Griffin FBI Mystery book series. it isn't fabulous but i've been enjoying them enough to keep reading. 'The Girl in Cabin 13' is the first (by A.J.Rivers).
  • magic71755
    Options
    Mihani, you never do lazy days...I think you earned this one! couchpotaton.gifcouchpotaton.gifcouchpotaton.gif

How's the looming going, Carla? knitsmile.gifknitsmile.gifknitsmile.gif

Tonight marks two full weeks WITHOUT Alka Seltzer Nighttime Cold Tablets for sleep. goldmedal.gif

Today's Plan...

coffee
    potatoes and spinach and salsa
    lavash pizza
    watermelon
    salad when I get home from work...off at 6

Have a great day, my sweet peas! labordaysmile.gif