This Year is Our Year for Success!

Replies

• PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,936 Member
    That’s good news that it appears to be a simple fracture and that it’s not painful. Hopefully the hand surgeon will have a clear plan of action for your recovery.

I’m feeling fine now. I still have bruising on my nose and both knees. The rest of the aches and pains have gone away. I’m having eyelid lift surgery on the 16th and I saw the surgeon yesterday for my pre-op visit. I was concerned that she might want to postpone due to the bruising and swelling on my face, but she was ok with going ahead. I think the bruising and swelling will probably be gone or nearly so by then, just in time to create new bruising and swelling. I think I will be spending the month of August coming up with cover stories for why I look like I got punched in the face!

Yes, Maryanne you’d better be extra careful!
  • mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 Posts: 6,648 Member
    Helene - oh, no! And your first cast? My last broken wrist required surgery (he fixed my carpal tunnel issue while he was in there LOL). You do need a hand surgeon and you'll probably need a hand physical therapist once the cast comes off! Hopefully you can find one! I had a great one but University of Maryland Medical System bought that hospital and shut it down! Heaven only knows where you'd have to drive to today to get a hand therapist.
  • mdubbs1
    Pam - bubble wrap clothing might be a great idea!

We had a cat show this weekend and, boy, doing that isn't as easy as it used to be!
  • Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,831 Member
    I got the stitches out Friday and now have steri strips so it looks less gruesome. I have a lump next to the gash which is pretty tender. PA said it’s a hematoma and could take months to heal. I’m glad I asked about it because I would have worried when it wasn’t gone in a few weeks. The bruises on my arm above the cast are fading. I have an MRI scheduled tomorrow and I have an appointment to to review the results.
  • mdubbs1
    I can't believe I still occasionally learn something about DH (after 57 years). He grew up in Gettysburg. Apparently David Eisenhower (Ike's grandson) was in his 7th grade class and there was a secret service agent that sat out in the hallway, sitting in a kid's desk, reading a book. I knew David Eisenhower played on my Dad's summer basketball league team (but never thought about the fact that that meant there would have been Secret Service hovering around). And that my grandfather planted rhododendrons at the Eisenhower farm but I never knew DH was in a class with the grandson.
  • Helene610
    It’s funny you can think you know someone so we’ll when some interesting fact from the past pops up. Did DH have any memories of what David was like? We we’re watching a story on the cost of back to school supplies. Average family spends over $800 and sometimes go into debt. I wonder if some things couldn’t be used a second year like a backpack. As we were talking, DH said kids in his school had book bags not backpacks and they used them more than a year. He said kids couldn’t take their books home unless they had a book bag. So I just learned a school fact about my DH today.
  • Helene610
    MRI was Wednesday. Tech was very kind and made the test easier than I expected. He told me I did well and he only had to do one image twice. He thought he could get a clearer image and he did. I was reading results of test on My Chart and I thought the results were good but I’ll get the official results Monday.
  • mdubbs1
    Helene610 wrote: »
    It’s funny you can think you know someone so we’ll when some interesting fact from the past pops up. Did DH have any memories of what David was like? We we’re watching a story on the cost of back to school supplies. Average family spends over $800 and sometimes go into debt. I wonder if some things couldn’t be used a second year like a backpack. As we were talking, DH said kids in his school had book bags not backpacks and they used them more than a year. He said kids couldn’t take their books home unless they had a book bag. So I just learned a school fact about my DH today.

No, he didn't really know him. I don't remember if we had book bags. If we did, I'm sure they lasted through our whole school experience. Every year? That's silly!
  • mdubbs1
    MRI was Wednesday. Tech was very kind and made the test easier than I expected. He told me I did well and he only had to do one image twice. He thought he could get a clearer image and he did. I was reading results of test on My Chart and I thought the results were good but I’ll get the official results Monday.

Here's hoping for good news!
  • PamS53
    I had my eyelid lift surgery this morning and it went well. I’m back at home now using an ice pack on it every 10 minutes. I’m having a little bit of pain but not too much so far. I’m hoping the bruising won’t be too bad.
  • Helene610
    Here’s hoping you get good results. Hopefully the bruising won’t be too bad. I have an appointment November 1st to evaluate my eyelids. I took photos of where I gashed my face and my eyelids look droopy to me in the photo.
  • mdubbs1
    PamS53 wrote: »
    I had my eyelid lift surgery this morning and it went well. I’m back at home now using an ice pack on it every 10 minutes. I’m having a little bit of pain but not too much so far. I’m hoping the bruising won’t be too bad.

Here's hoping you have a quick minimal bruise recovery!
  • mdubbs1
    edited August 17
    Today is Black Cat Appreciation Day!

17.1.jpg

• mdubbs1
    edited August 19
    9kw5bepnhhs4.png
  • Helene610
    I saw the PA in the ortho practice today to review my MRI. They wanted to take new X-rays to compare with 2 weeks ago so they cut off the cast so I could lay my hand flat on the X-ray table. When Ian, the PA, came in he had good news for me. The MRI showed no wrist fracture. It’s sprained but I didn’t need a cast. He told me to wear a brace at night or if I do something active. It’s achy but should heal on its own. My index finger is broken but he reduced the size of the splint so I can bend the lower part of the finger. I have a follow up in 3 weeks to check on my finger.
  • PamS53
    Helene, that’s very good news! Sounds like you are healing very well.

I am also healing well. My bruises are already fading quite a bit. I’ve been surprised how little pain I’ve had from this surgery. I honestly can’t say I’ve had any real pain and very little discomfort. The only thing that has been challenging at all is sleep. For the first 3 nights I was supposed to sleep propped up at a 45 degree angle and on my back. I never sleep on my back, and sleeping propped up caused my neck to hurt. I suffered through it the first 2 nights but halfway through the third night I gave up on the extra pillows. I also am supposed to wear goggles to prevent any accidental scratches or rubbing of my eyes while sleeping. They aren’t uncomfortable but they also don’t fit very well, so I was constantly waking up with them half off or at a weird angle. Last night I opted instead to wear my very soft padded satin sleep mask and did much better. I’ll see the doctor tomorrow for my first post-op visit.
  • mdubbs1
    I saw the PA in the ortho practice today to review my MRI. They wanted to take new X-rays to compare with 2 weeks ago so they cut off the cast so I could lay my hand flat on the X-ray table. When Ian, the PA, came in he had good news for me. The MRI showed no wrist fracture. It’s sprained but I didn’t need a cast. He told me to wear a brace at night or if I do something active. It’s achy but should heal on its own. My index finger is broken but he reduced the size of the splint so I can bend the lower part of the finger. I have a follow up in 3 weeks to check on my finger.

That's encouraging news! What's the healing time for a wrist sprain?
  • mdubbs1
    PamS53 wrote: »
    Helene, that’s very good news! Sounds like you are healing very well.

I am also healing well. My bruises are already fading quite a bit. I’ve been surprised how little pain I’ve had from this surgery. I honestly can’t say I’ve had any real pain and very little discomfort. The only thing that has been challenging at all is sleep. For the first 3 nights I was supposed to sleep propped up at a 45 degree angle and on my back. I never sleep on my back, and sleeping propped up caused my neck to hurt. I suffered through it the first 2 nights but halfway through the third night I gave up on the extra pillows. I also am supposed to wear goggles to prevent any accidental scratches or rubbing of my eyes while sleeping. They aren’t uncomfortable but they also don’t fit very well, so I was constantly waking up with them half off or at a weird angle. Last night I opted instead to wear my very soft padded satin sleep mask and did much better. I’ll see the doctor tomorrow for my first post-op visit.

I'd have a terrible time with those sleep instructions, too. I'm a side sleeper and, even though I've got the pain in my hips which should be encouraging me to change, I haven't been able to.

Good luck at the post op visit!
  • PamS53
    I had my first post-op visit yesterday and my surgeon was pleased. Most of my bruising and swelling is already gone, so now I’m just waiting for the stitches to fall out on their own. I go back in 3 weeks. Right now the left eyelid is slightly higher than the right, but she thinks it will eventually relax to about the same level as the other one. I can see a very slight difference, but only because she pointed it out. The best news though is that I can now sleep in any position I want and don’t have to wear a protective mask! I’ve always slept on my side and any other position just isn’t comfortable for me. However, I’m currently having some pain in my left hip that I think is bursitis (I’ve had this before), so sleeping on my side hasn’t been very comfortable. At least I can take NSAIDs again, which helps with the pain. I wasn’t supposed to use any of that class of drugs for the week before and after the surgery.
  • Helene610
    Great new on your progress. I hope you sleep better now that the restrictions are over. Did you watch any of the convention? The speakers were fabulous and Kamala did a great job. I saw a discussion on CNN with 8 undecided voters. They were asked to rate Kamala’s speechMost gave her B or B+. One gave her an A and one gave her a C. Six said they now support Kamala, one young woman isn’t voting because she doesn’t like either candidate even though she gave Kamala a B. The man who gave her a C was a fifty ish black man in real estate. He had some positive things to say but felt she wasn’t ready and should wait until 2028. He said he’d vote Trump. I think he just wouldn’t vote a woman for president. I was shocked by his response. I can’t imagine he’d tell a man to wait 4 years. I hope his friends and family call him on it.