2 Weeks Postop Today! SGB

Hi eveyone! my highest weight was 353. Surgery weight was 309. Current weight 290. I've had to go to the hospital twice because I can't get all my fluids down and have gotten dehydrated. I plan to focus on this this week! I'm also dealing with emotional roller coasters and watching my family eat WHATEVER in front of me. It's be hard. Because of covid I was on a waiting list to get my surgery done (surgeries were temporally suspended). And of course you can't start your liver shrinking diet until you have a date. Well they called me on a Wednesday and was like can you do you surgery on Monday surgeries have opened back up. I was like umm yes! My surgeon had been told me that I didn't really need the liver shrinking diet for surgery just as like a good thing to do before. They told me to start that day (so like 3 days and then the fasting the day before surgery). I really wish I had more time to wean myself off of regular food. I think if I would've had more time on the liver shrinking diet I wouldn't be struggling as much now. But since covid and surgeries dates are hard I didn't know the next date that would be available and it's always the possibility to go into another shut before that date so I went for it. But honestly I've been sneaking food (my 2 kids are like the police!) and had my 1st real vomit last night. I guess that's one way to get over regular food!!! Just sharing my experience!!!

Replies

• spangadora
    spangadora Posts: 89 Member
    Thanks for sharing the experience you've had so far. It can be really hard when you are face to face with others just eating like normal in front of you. But two weeks out is early, it will get easier to eat and drink. Maybe you could excuse yourself from meals, maybe go for a small walk once everyone sits down to eat until you feel stronger about food and are not struggling to get stuff in as much? I realize this is a hard thing, meal times are gathering and social and necessary but when it's hard, taking a step back might help you.
  • Missshine86
    Missshine86 Posts: 3 Member
    That's a great idea. Thank you!
  • slowerbutqwik
    slowerbutqwik Posts: 120 Member
    Hi eveyone! my highest weight was 353. Surgery weight was 309. Current weight 290. I've had to go to the hospital twice because I can't get all my fluids down and have gotten dehydrated. I plan to focus on this this week! I'm also dealing with emotional roller coasters and watching my family eat WHATEVER in front of me. It's be hard. Because of covid I was on a waiting list to get my surgery done (surgeries were temporally suspended). And of course you can't start your liver shrinking diet until you have a date. Well they called me on a Wednesday and was like can you do you surgery on Monday surgeries have opened back up. I was like umm yes! My surgeon had been told me that I didn't really need the liver shrinking diet for surgery just as like a good thing to do before. They told me to start that day (so like 3 days and then the fasting the day before surgery). I really wish I had more time to wean myself off of regular food. I think if I would've had more time on the liver shrinking diet I wouldn't be struggling as much now. But since covid and surgeries dates are hard I didn't know the next date that would be available and it's always the possibility to go into another shut before that date so I went for it. But honestly I've been sneaking food (my 2 kids are like the police!) and had my 1st real vomit last night. I guess that's one way to get over regular food!!! Just sharing my experience!!!

Thank you so much for sharing and being vonurable enough to share with us. We all experience such ups and downs, because we're working so hard to give up our food addictions. It's learning to cope with our emotions and watching family eat what they want that we must learn to deal with. I was VERY strict in following the plan for the first 6 months - 10 months. It's when my hunger started returning that I stopped losing. Learning to eat for nutrition is so important especially early on. Come back to group and participate in our monthly health goal setting!
    We're here to walk this path with you.
    Shauna
  • Missshine86
    Missshine86 Posts: 3 Member
    Thank you! I sure am!